"Entertaining" podcast recommendations

Comments

• aberry89aberry89 California
    edited June 2017

aberry89 said:

I love "Throwing Shade" a podcast that discusses gay and lady issues in popular culture and politics. The two hosts, Bryan Safi and Erin Gibson have great chemistry and are very, very funny. 

They can talk about some serious stuff, but they do so as comedicans so it stays pretty light.

There is (perhaps, was?) a tv based on this.  I saw a couple of episodes.  It wasn't bad, but it came across as being very rehearsed and produced...usually not bad things for a tv show, but it's often better when comedians are a little bit more loose and spontaneous.

The show was TERRIBLE. Hated it. The podcast is far, far less improvised. Just two friends reading topical stories and riffing. It's so much funnier. @CretanBull ;

Last Podcast on the Left. Absolutely love it! True crime, aliens, conspiracy theories, but funny (really, really funny!). It is not for everybody though. 

a million times yes. You need to have a bit of true crime, steel stomach, (my VERY first ep. was Henry Lee Lucas...WHOOPS!)  But hell, I kept listening.

What's your fav running gag?  I think mine is...  "I'M MINNE!!! I'M NANNY!!! HIIIIIIIII"    lolololol forever.

Dani_Armindo
  • aberry89 said:

Last Podcast on the Left. Absolutely love it! True crime, aliens, conspiracy theories, but funny (really, really funny!). It is not for everybody though. 

a million times yes. You need to have a bit of true crime, steel stomach, (my VERY first ep. was Henry Lee Lucas...WHOOPS!)  But hell, I kept listening.

What's your fav running gag?  I think mine is...  "I'M MINNE!!! I'M NANNY!!! HIIIIIIIII"    lolololol forever.

LOL!! The HH Holmes episodes had me dying! My favorite would have to be "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I BRING TO FRIENDSHIP!!!
    aberry89
  • jomihajomiha Springfield IL
    LPOTL- I remember the first time I listened to it about a year ago. I was like "what is wrong with these people??". Then I binge listened to the rest of their episodes in like, a week, and it's one of my most anticipated (NON BM, of course) podcasts.
    MurderbearDani_Armindo
    jomiha said:

LPOTL- I remember the first time I listened to it about a year ago. I was like "what is wrong with these people??". Then I binge listened to the rest of their episodes in like, a week, and it's one of my most anticipated (NON BM, of course) podcasts.

Hhaha, same, except I was more...what's wrong with ME for liking this so much! XD
    Dani_Armindojomiha
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Doug El said:

Oh, and "How Did This Get Made" is the definitive bad movie podcast.

That used to be my favourite podcast, but the live ones are insufferable and they're nearly all live these days. And the ads are getting ridiculously long.
  • podcartfanpodcartfan Cincinnati

Oh, my friend Phyllis is on TBTL sometimes. I keep forgetting to subscribe and listen to the non-Phyllis parts though haha.

Stop the show... you're friends with P-Fletch IRL? I love her segments on TBTL!!

I was going to suggest TBTL since they are from your area but you're already in the know.

• podcartfanpodcartfan Cincinnati
    jomiha said:

You know P-Fletch!? She's like a celebrity to TBTL listeners (aka Tens), haha.

I wonder what the Tens / Bald Move cross over is. I know there are a few other Tens here and Andrew has mentioned their GOT cast during A Song of Ice and Spoilers.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    trippy said:

Dee said:

Doug El said:

That used to be my favourite podcast, but the live ones are insufferable and they're nearly all live these days. And the ads are getting ridiculously long.
    I love the live ones.  So your opinion is wrong.   (If you are a howl member the ads don't seem to be there fyi).  
    My opinion is never wrong!
    trippyKingKobra
  • CodyHarris821CodyHarris821 Kennesaw, Georgia
    Many of my favorite podcasts have already been suggested, but here are a few more that seem to fit your needs.

1) Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History" podcasts are amazing. It's not a light-hearted podcast by any means, but it's super entertaining. I'd recommend starting with the Wrath of the Khans series.

2) 99% Invisible. Much lighter than Hardcore History. The show focuses on the stories behind unique design and architecture. It admittedly sounds dry and boring, but it's quite the opposite.

3) Citation Needed. Essentially it is a comedy podcast where they choose a subject, read a single Wikipedia article on it, and pretend they are experts, "because that's how the internet works now".  

Enjoy!
    trippy said:

Doug El said:

THIS!

My personal favorite is the 'LAke Placid' cast.  So funny.       There is a deep archive so plenty to listen to.
    My favorite was Monkey Shines. I really need to go back and listen to some of these. I love when June legit cares about inane plot contrivances. 
    trippy

jomiha said:

You know P-Fletch!? She's like a celebrity to TBTL listeners (aka Tens), haha.

I wonder what the Tens / Bald Move cross over is. I know there are a few other Tens here and Andrew has mentioned their GOT cast during A Song of Ice and Spoilers.
    Let the fun begin!! I'm fully immersed in TBTL vocabulary. It doesn't mean I think I'm better than anyone else though. 
  • I'd like to chime in and recommend "Crime Writers On". It's great! There's a panel of four people, all authors. Anyway, they discuss other true crime podcasts, true crime documentaries. They even discuss some current trials, and updates to trials they've been following. They all have great chemistry, and even though they're talking about serious topics, they manage to keep it light, and are never disrespectful. It's also very well produced.
    If you're interested in True Crime, you should definitely check this one out!
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX

I have to thank you for bringing this show to my attention.  I listened to The Nazis & The Occult pt 1 and 2 yesterday when I had lots of driving.  Fascinating and super funny!  There is something to be said about some dudes who can pull off hilarious 'Dana Carvey level' German accents & Hitler impersonations.  This is one of my new favorite podcasts now.  Thanks again!
    MurderbearDani_Armindomrskait13
  • cdrive said:

I have to thank you for bringing this show to my attention.  I listened to The Nazis & The Occult pt 1 and 2 yesterday when I had lots of driving.  Fascinating and super funny!  There is something to be said about some dudes who can pull off hilarious 'Dana Carvey level' German accents & Hitler impersonations.  This is one of my new favorite podcasts now.  Thanks again!
    So glad you liked it! I am totally addicted, the guys are very entertaining. I only discovered them last year, so I had a ton of podcasts to catch up to. The serial killer ones are my favorite, but I pretty much love all of it!
    cdrive
  • 30 for 30 just dropped it's first podcast. Produced by the folks who do the FiveThirtyEight podcast. First episode was on the "Dan and Dave" saga of 1992 - fantastic stuff especially for those of us 90's kids! Really good production and storytelling.

• Bad times, good stories
  • BB2KBB2K Adelaide, South Australia
    cum town
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    If you're at all a Beatles fan, check out Screw It, We're Just Going To Talk About The Beatles.
    CretanBullApril_May_June
  • If you're at all a Beatles fan, check out Screw It, We're Just Going To Talk About The Beatles.

I haven't heard of this, but love the Beatles so will check it out - thanks!
    MurderbearApril_May_June
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois

Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast!

If you ever wanted to know what it was like to hear Iago from Aladdin sing "Supercalifragalistic" with Dick Van Dyke himself this is the podcast for you. 

He has so many great old showbuiness guests and a variety of them.  I usually burst out laughing at least once an episode.  There are also some really touching moments where some of the older guests talk about their time serving in WWII. 
  • If you're at all a Beatles fan, check out Screw It, We're Just Going To Talk About The Beatles.

I love The Beatles! Thanks for the recommendation! :)
    I found it and subscribed - am excited to listen to listen to it!
    Murderbear
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Just wanted to give an update on Screw It, We're Just Talk About The Beatles -
    I am loving it! It's so fun to hear them discuss their discography chronologically, and how their music evolved. I have a special place in my heart for all their music, but didn't realize how fast their music changed until listening to this podcast! So interesting! :)
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky

Just wanted to give an update on Screw It, We're Just Talk About The Beatles -
    I am loving it! It's so fun to hear them discuss their discography chronologically, and how their music evolved. I have a special place in my heart for all their music, but didn't realize how fast their music changed until listening to this podcast! So interesting! :)

Glad you like it! I randomly found it a few weeks ago and have been devouring it since. It strikes a great balance of being entertaining and also informative. I also love that they play all the songs they are talking about. The episode about the recently released remixed version of Sgt Pepper is great since they directly compare it to the old mono and stereo versions. It really helps you notice all the little differences.
    April_May_June
  • Just wanted to give an update on Screw It, We're Just Talk About The Beatles -

Glad you like it! I randomly found it a few weeks ago and have been devouring it since. It strikes a great balance of being entertaining and also informative. I also love that they play all the songs they are talking about. The episode about the recently released remixed version of Sgt Pepper is great since they directly compare it to the old mono and stereo versions. It really helps you notice all the little differences.

Yes! I love that they almost always play the song they're talking about too! And they'll sometimes just stop talking and listen because they like the song so much, or get all excited about a chorus or bridge, or even sing along a little bit sometimes ... lol.

I haven't listened to the Sgt Pepper remix episode yet - I'll check that one out next. :)
  • A lot of the Ear Trumpet Audio podcasts are good. The ones I listen to are:

Lifemark: A Made for TV Podcast - the hosts watch a MFTV movie. Hilarious!

The Reelist - Dave is making his way throught the AFI top 100 list from 100 to 1. He's very insightful and his movie knowledge runs deep.

The Songs that Saved Your Life - guests talk about three songs that influenced them when they turned 15.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Comedy Casts:
    Spontanation with Paul F. Tompkins, it's an improv podcast with various celebrities.
    The Worst Idea of All Time boys just wrapped up the third (and final?) season and that's always fun to listen to two Kiwis slowly drive themselves insane over 52ish of watching the same movie.

History Casts:
    HH was already mentioned so I'll throw in Revolutions for a serious history pod.
    On a not as serious level Rex Factor and Totalus Rankium do a somewhat shallow dive into English/Scottish Kings and Roman Emperors and then rank them on things like who's good at fighting, who was good at ruling, who has the best scandals etc.

General entertainment:
    The movies by minute podcasts seem silly (and they are, watching a movie one minute at a time is the second worst way to watch a movie) but they're very entertaining to listen to.
  • Stuff you missed in History Class - the two ladies who do this one are fun to listen to and I do learn a lot of obscure history listening to this one. A lot of the Stuff podcasts are pretty decent.

TBTL - already recommended, I have been an on-again/off again listener since it was a radio show back in the day in seattle.  Gets a bit monotonous and repetitive (is mostly 2 guys chatting about life every day) but I like it for the most part. and phyllis fletcher is always a delight when she is a guest.

Myths and Legends -roughly half hour blocks of story time from ancient mythologies in different cultures and fairy tales.  

Fictional - a branch off of Myths and Legends, very new podcast where the stories are from fiction writers that are in the public domain (sherlock holmes, dante's inferno, monkey's paw so far)  
This discussion has been closed.