702 - "Stormborn"

Comments

• Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited July 2017
    gguenot said:

My only criticism of the episode is how Arya was acting towards hotpie in the tavern. I don't know what the actress or writers were going for. I know she's a bad-ass killing machine, but she isn't a robot and I would expect her to act warm towards a friend she hasn't seen in a while. If she was a robot assassin then she would still be at the house of b&w obeying orders, instead, her humanity caused her to spare that actress and reclaim her name and go home. Just a weird scene imo

yeah, she even smiled and made eye contact with Ed Sheeran and his crew, but she cold shoulders Hot Pie?  I know shes on a mission but, what a B
    gguenotGarageMovieGuy
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    A Ballista has @500yd maximum range, its effective range is probably half that.  They are also stationary, they may be able to swivel, but other than that they dont move easily.  Dragons are moving targets in the air, so you can forget about aiming it and actually hitting a Dragon.  Unless its a direct hit in a sensitive area the bolts will most likely glance off.  Also the bolt will be traveling in the shape of a parabola so the easiest dragon defense is to just elevate after the bolts are fired and the bolts will always miss low.  Now if there are tens or hundreds of them and you can fill the sky with bolts, you effectively create a no fly zone, thats the only way I see the ballista being extremly effective
  • webswingerwebswinger SoCal
    edited July 2017
    gguenot said:

My only criticism of the episode is how Arya was acting towards hotpie in the tavern. I don't know what the actress or writers were going for. I know she's a bad-ass killing machine, but she isn't a robot and I would expect her to act warm towards a friend she hasn't seen in a while. If she was a robot assassin then she would still be at the house of b&w obeying orders, instead, her humanity caused her to spare that actress and reclaim her name and go home. Just a weird scene imo

I think they filmed that scene s few ways. They decided to have Arya be stone faced and not give a fuck about meeting her friend Hot Pie. Because that's the way she thinks a hard man,(hound) is, but when she hears about Jon the facade cracks.
    If she looked happy to see Hot Pie then the look she gives when she learns about the King in the North wouldn't be as dramatic. This also shows she hasn't turned into person that is only about vengeance.
    I didn't like the scene at first, it felt weird. By the time it was over I think I saw the reasonings.
    Doctor_NickweeniegirlGarageMovieGuy
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Actually in the books it has been mentioned that High Valeriyan is non gender specific.  I think Master Aemon (the old Targareyn maester who lived at the Wall) mentioned it, when readying or discussing prophesy.
    ken hale
  • joschmanjoschman Fargo, ND
    I kind of thought the Arya in the tavern with Hotpie scene was awkward too. The way she was eating and wiping her face all trife like. The thing is, that is totally how a kid her age would be if they were trying to act all BA but were not. She in fact is BA and doesn't need to act BA. So yes, it was weird. Maybe she was overplaying the badassitude because she did know Hotpie and she was actually just doing what a kid acting tough would do... or maybe Maisie Williams was over acting a little and it just came across awkward. Regardless, the Nymeria scene was awesome.
    gguenotGarageMovieGuy
  • Elisa said:

Actually in the books it has been mentioned that High Valeriyan is non gender specific.  I think Master Aemon (the old Targareyn maester who lived at the Wall) mentioned it, when readying or discussing prophesy.

I believe I read an interview with David Peterson about the languages. He said High Valaerian was gender specific for people but not for things or animals, aka dragons. He was answering a question about the Valonqar prophecy though so maybe it's like "I before E, except after C"
  • Gendry approaches Theon in his row boat, and he be all like "what's up, buddy?"
    Vasilnate1gguenotmanhattnikKingKobraDeetrippyLlaurenDaveyMacweeniegirlGarageMovieGuyand 1 other.
  • JamesJames southern California
    Schlupp said:

Disappointed in Yara not telling Theon to run. He would literally be running to his sure death and/or capture. Zero chance Theon (or anyone) is going to fight through Euron and all of his men that are surrounding him.

What's the point? Let your brother live without guilt and shame, and perhaps even opening the door to rescue you at a later point if Euron keeps her as a prisoner.

I guess cuz that's not the iron born way. They fight till the death also they were literally joking about how he's supposed to be her protecter in the last scene, he's the worst
    He's a survivor like Arya and Hotpie. And Lady Olenna.  I like that theme in the episode, you don't have to be the greatest fighter or schemer you just have to survive somehow. JSS.  Great Plans can be overthrown on a dime.

Never give up! and Fight to the Death! have always been bullshit. Patton, who I am not really a fan of, said: “No dumb bastard ever won a war by going out and dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb bastard die for his country.”
  • I hate to think it, but I think the Nymeria and Arya scene proved that she (arya) is no one. Nymeria doesn't recognize the person she has become and is also no one in a sense herself. I think there is no home for neither of them. - I was also so excited to see hot pie until I saw how unexcited Arya was, she had nothing behind her eyes. She's dead, and has completely changed from the person anyone knows including her family.
  • Llauren said:

I hate to think it, but I think the Nymeria and Arya scene proved that she (arya) is no one. Nymeria doesn't recognize the person she has become and is also no one in a sense herself. I think there is no home for neither of them. - I was also so excited to see hot pie until I saw how unexcited Arya was, she had nothing behind her eyes. She's dead, and has completely changed from the person anyone knows including her family.

I don't think that was meant to be interpreted that way. Not sure if you've seen the memes connecting Ned and Arya's S1 conversation about her marrying a lord and her reply being "that's not me" and acknowledging "that isn't you" to Nymeria. It's meant to show that Arya realized that Nymeria has gone and made a life of her own and she can't expect her to give that up. Just as Nymeria has her own pack now, Arya needs to rejoin hers.
    webswingerLlaurenNoleScan
  • Llauren said:

I hate to think it, but I think the Nymeria and Arya scene proved that she (arya) is no one. Nymeria doesn't recognize the person she has become and is also no one in a sense herself. I think there is no home for neither of them. - I was also so excited to see hot pie until I saw how unexcited Arya was, she had nothing behind her eyes. She's dead, and has completely changed from the person anyone knows including her family.

I got a totally different feel from the Arya scenes. I posted what I thought of the Hot Pie meeting, and I think she was happy to see him. He didn't see her and she called to him. If she was really unexcited to see Mr. Pie then she would have kept silent.

If Nymeria didn't recognize Arya then the pack would have attacked. The way I took it was Nym had her pack and couldn't go back to being a pet. I also think that we haven't seen the last of that wolf. The show seems to not like the wolves, and would rather spend the CG money on other things. I believe that the wolves will gave a much bigger role in the books
    ElisaLlaurenMurderbearGarageMovieGuy
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    edited July 2017
    I agree with webswinger
    webswinger
  • Missandei and Gray worm cockless sex scene was possibly the best one in GoT so far. Hope it doesn't bode the same as the second best, King Robb and his wifey

Loved hot pie coming back. Hope Arya doesn't get to Winterfell, miss Jon because he is on his ways to Dragonstone, and then one of them dies FFS.

Where the eff IS Ghost!? He was like Jon's companion sidekick thing for 6 seasons but hasn't been seen since he was brought back to life?

War council thing was junk

Euro needs to stop hamming it up so much. Berserker Pirate, fine. Nitrous Oxide Pirate, not so much.
  • Elisa said:

I agree with webswinger

This is my favorite post of ALL TIME !!!!!!!
    voodooratDeeTravisGarageMovieGuyElisa
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    Ghost is with Jon, just always off screen for budgetary reasons.

The producers of the show have said time and again the render time and compositing of the direwolves makes them one of the most expensive things on the show.

I don't blame them for just offscreenjng the wolves if it means we get more realized battles.
    Elisa
  • My only criticism of the episode is how Arya was acting towards hotpie in the tavern. I don't know what the actress or writers were going for. I know she's a bad-ass killing machine, but she isn't a robot and I would expect her to act warm towards a friend she hasn't seen in a while. If she was a robot assassin then she would still be at the house of b&w obeying orders, instead, her humanity caused her to spare that actress and reclaim her name and go home. Just a weird scene imo
    I think they filmed that scene s few ways. They decided to have Arya be stone faced and not give a fuck about meeting her friend Hot Pie. Because that's the way she thinks a hard man,(hound) is, but when she hears about Jon the facade cracks.
    If she looked happy to see Hot Pie then the look she gives when she learns about the King in the North wouldn't be as dramatic. This also shows she hasn't turned into person that is only about vengeance.
    I didn't like the scene at first, it felt weird. By the time it was over I think I saw the reasonings.

She also did that reassuring touch on the shoulder. It was like she is pretending to be a hard ass like you say because she has to. I liked it. Maisie is boss.
    pavlovsbellKingKobraDaveyMacGarageMovieGuy
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited July 2017

Elisa said:

I believe I read an interview with David Peterson about the languages. He said High Valaerian was gender specific for people but not for things or animals, aka dragons. He was answering a question about the Valonqar prophecy though so maybe it's like "I before E, except after C"
    I thought Aemon was saying that because the PTWP prophecy is about Targaryens -- that it was translated to assume prince instead of "dragon" in the way that Targaryens think of themselves as dragons (like Starks / wolves and Lannisters / lions), and dragons are neither male nor female.

Or are dragons both male and female? I've always assumed that both Daenerys and Jon fulfill the prophecy.

That Aemon bit wasn't included in the show, so they had Missandei say that "prince" is gender neutral.

"No one ever looked for a girl. It was a prince that was promised, not a princess... What fools we werewho thought ourselves so wise! The error crept in from the translation. Dragons are neither male nor female..."
    webswingerElisa
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY

She also did that reassuring touch on the shoulder. It was like she is pretending to be a hard ass like you say because she has to. I liked it. Maisie is boss.

Yeah, I thought Arya was trying to shut herself off and even overcompensating a bit. She deflected with the ale just like she did with the soldier's wine in the previous episode. As soon as she heard about Jon though, she almost crumbled. I'm getting teary-eyed just thinking about it.
    DaveyMacElisa
  • Euron's fleet of ships bugs me more and more.  It really defies my suspension of disbelief, yes even in a show with dragons, ice zombies, etc.  The worst part is it's completely unnecessary.  You can fix it just altering a few lines of dialogue.  Like just have Yara and Theon make off with half or a quarter of the Iron Born fleet, leaving Euron with the rest. Instead of ordering more ships built, he decides to make due with what he has - who needs the entire fleet when you're the best captain in Westeros?  Instead, they imply that he's built an entire fleet in what, six months?  With no resources?  why GoT, why???
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I think the Nymeria scene would have played great with zero dialogue. We know the big dog is, we know Arya wants her to come with her.
    Llauren said:

I like this idea. My initial read was that she and Nymeria were one in the same. They have been out in the woods too long, there is no going back home for either of them. It was very bittersweet. ( A small part of me thinks that scene would have been killer with zero dialoge, but that's just me)
    Elisa
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited July 2017
    I am really not a squeamish person by nature. But that transition from puss filled greyscale to creamy soup right in the mouth was JUUUUST a bit too much for me to handle. 

Thank the old gods and the new, I wasn't eating while watching. 
    GarageMovieGuyElisaken hale
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Yeah the Greyscale -> chicken pot pie transition was so gross we had to rewind it!
  • Listening to the Inside the Episode thing, the DDs specifically talk about the Arya/Nymeria scene and they say that their intention for the scene was to recall from season 1 how Arya told her father that it wasn't me and this is Nymeria doing the same thing to Arya now saying it's not her.  So, basically, it was Nymeria telling Arya that she has her own life/pack and wasn't going back to something that she's not.  Although, I dount this is the last time we see Nymeria.  I could see 1 of 2 things happening- 1) if Arya is out in the woods and gets attacked, Nymeria could come to her rescue or 2) perhaps Arya or maybe Bran end up warging into Nymeria to see something through her eyes.
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I'm not convinced that we will see her again. That scene seems like their way of writing the second to last direwolf out of the show.

We haven't even seen ghost yet, and as he isn't in the next time on when Jon goes to Dragonstone I don't know if we will see him at all soon.

It's unfortunate, but I understand. If the wolves cost so much that they have to make choices like have a battle be on screen or have a wolf in the background of a scene I would rather see more of the world realized.
  • Regarding the awkwardness between Arya and Hot Pie:

Just prior to Hot Pie walking up to the table, Arya is staring off (referred to as a blank look) and the volume of the other people in the dining room was slightly louder.  She was going into "blind mode" and using her hearing to gather intel.  Hot Pie suddenly interrupting her caused her to mentally shift gears fast and who would blame her if it was hard for her to adjust back in Arya mode.

KingKobratrippyGarageMovieGuy
  • For the Starks being one of the three main houses in the show, they got nerfed. All the kids except Sansa had wolf dreams. So they were at least wargs if not Skinchangers.
    If the DD's (see DD thread lol) would have done the dire wolves/ dreams right they would have been fan favorites.
    Elisa
  • Suette said:

Regarding the awkwardness between Arya and Hot Pie:

Just prior to Hot Pie walking up to the table, Arya is staring off (referred to as a blank look) and the volume of the other people in the dining room was slightly louder.  She was going into "blind mode" and using her hearing to gather intel.  Hot Pie suddenly interrupting her caused her to mentally shift gears fast and who would blame her if it was hard for her to adjust back in Arya mode.

This is my favorite explaination of this and one that I can accept.