The Expanse

Comments

• This is some nice wish-fulfillment for me after putting the request in that suggestions thread back in January. Since then I've read the novels and novellas through Strange Dogs and am about ready to start Persepolis Rising. Seeing this thread with 'new' posts, and then finding out about the future pods...so sweet. Thanks to all.
    Elisa
  • Another thing I don't get is why did Jules Pierre's group set the trap and blow up the Cantebury? I need to spend some time on reddit.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Another thing I don't get is why did Jules Pierre's group set the trap and blow up the Cantebury? I need to spend some time on reddit.

My understanding is it would either start a war with Mars, or would create enough confusion that the Eros station experiment would look like more of the same. To throw everyone off the scent.
    Elisablacksunrise7
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    JaimieT said:
    Another thing I don't get is why did Jules Pierre's group set the trap and blow up the Cantebury? I need to spend some time on reddit.

My understanding is it would either start a war with Mars, or would create enough confusion that the Eros station experiment would look like more of the same. To throw everyone off the scent.
    @JamieT both
    Spoilers for season 2.

There was a dip in quality between season 1 and 2. After my first viewing, I would not have thought this: I found the S1 Miller B plot boring and nothing in season 2 was ever quite that boring for me. However, the Miller "B plot" might be my favorite thing about the show now. And this time, I dislike everything about the human-proto hybrid.

1. The theory behind it. The protomolecule always seemed to view bodies as limiting, or even better, didn't seem to notice them much. So how do children change this? Is it because children's bodies are still developing and the protomolecule picks up on that? Ehhh, that feels like bullshit, since human adults still have all that information in their DNA. 
    2. Using children as the mechanism here feels somehow less horrific than just using adults. Perhaps because it's so trope-y. The whistling evil pediatrician, are you kidding me? Maybe this is something that speaks to one more if they have a kid.
    3. Holden hunting down the proto-human hybrid. There's this terrible episode in Star Trek: TNG where the crew de-evolves into animals, and I keep seeing Riker as an ape/gorilla in Holden. I zoned out during all of that... it's so, so, so boring and fruitless. It felt like filler. There's no real consequence for Holden going Ahab, and I didn't really follow why he'd do that anyway. Plus his girlfriend's all, "I'm going to step away when you're like this..." and they're back to normal afterward. I get why he'd want to kill the monster, I just didn't understand why he had to be a fucking asshole about it. 
    4. Later, with the proto-human hybrid tearing apart the ship while Holden is pinned to the wall dying. The concept there feels like it needs reworking to amp up the stakes. We know Holden isn't going to die...
    5. Prax being chosen to toss the proto-hybrid the nuclear decoy, when Naomi is right there, when everyone already knows Prax might be emotionally compromised about killing this thing... nope.
    So, Ganymede felt sloppy. The first part of S2, dealing with the runaway Eros, was fantastic.

And Chrisjen continues to be one of the best, most original characters on TV.

And Bobbie Draper is like Tyrion Lannister to me. I know she won't be developed as much as Tyrion, but she plays all my heartstrings the same. I have a thing for Polynesian women who love the ocean. The first time I watched the show, when she runs towards the UN line, I was screaming.

When season 3 premiers, I'll be making cucumber sandwiches.

Re: the season 2 finale, @chrisk -- does it drag? I wouldn't say it drags, but it doesn't pack much of a punch. Evidently it was created with the knowledge it might be a series finale. A lot of exciting stuff happens, but those moments have a "wrap it up" quality. Like when Bobbie saves Chrisjen and Cotyar... what might have been a spectacular moment where we (1) see Bobbie show her loyalty to Earth/Chrisjen and (2) see the Martian suit in play in close quarters... is all slow-mo and voiced over by Noami talking about balance in the system. Bleh.

Speaking of Bobbie and Cotyar, I ship 'em. 

For fun:

rustywright4Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I loved both seasons for different reasons.  Of course I missed Miller, but I really enjoyed both Bobbie Draper and Chrisjen Avasarala taking center stage.  I also didn't mind Prax and the Ganymede arc.  Of course I have read the books so all I have to say is come back for Season 3.  The best is yet to come.

I am going to recommend a podcast on The Expanse that really helped me love and deep dive into the world and help handle the world building and all the characters and planets.  

http://solotalkmedia.com/the-expanse-podcast/

A lot of good comments and analysis @JaimieT

Gotta love Cotyar too. B)

Let me try and answer some of your questions

1) and 2)   The children had leukemia or some sort of cancer or disease which made it easy to accomodate and house the protomolecule.

3) Holden is Ahab and he is probably my least favorite character.  He is a complete anti hero and a-hole.

Totally agree on your ships.

JaimieT
    Elisa said:
    I also didn't mind Prax and the Ganymede arc.  Of course I have read the books so all I have to say is come back for Season 3.  The best is yet to come.

Yeah, I noticed there were dozens/hundreds of children being incubated. An army of those monster things doesn't sound fun. I hope the proto-human hybrid was in its early stages and the children turn into something more alien than what's it's been so far, a pretty standard alien. But don't answer that! Haha. 
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited February 2018
    JaimieT said:
    1. Later, with the proto-human hybrid tearing apart the ship while Holden is pinned to the wall dying. The concept there feels like it needs reworking to amp up the stakes. We know Holden isn't going to die..

This is really what I meant by dragging. Never thought Holden was in danger, and similarly I never thought Bobbie or Avasarala were in danger on Mao's ship. Just felt very rote and way too much time was spent on both. 

And again it just felt like the hybrid should've ripped through that ship in no time. Certainly didn't buy him punching and pulling on the same piece of sheet metal for 20 minutes.

Think I agree with you that I don't like the hybrid at all. Doesn't look great as an effect or creature concept and there's no sense there's any "human" side to it, so I feel nothing for it. I sympathized more with the giant water bear on Discovery. :D
    JaimieT
    chrisk said:
    JaimieT said:
    1. Later, with the proto-human hybrid tearing apart the ship while Holden is pinned to the wall dying. The concept there feels like it needs reworking to amp up the stakes. We know Holden isn't going to die..

This is really what I meant by dragging. Never thought Holden was in danger, and similarly I never thought Bobbie or Avasarala were in danger on Mao's ship. Just felt very rote and way too much time was spent on both. 

And again it just felt like the hybrid should've ripped through that ship in no time. Certainly didn't buy him punching and pulling on the same piece of sheet metal for 20 minutes.

Think I agree with you that I don't like the hybrid at all. Doesn't look great as an effect or creature concept and there's no sense there's any "human" side to it, so I feel nothing for it. I sympathized more with the giant water bear on Discovery. :D

OMG YES. That was a book holdover. There's no fucking way anyone would need to be told, "That's not your daughter!" No fucking way. You landed on how they could have made that so much better... sell it to us that it looks like his daughter. Or like a child.
  • 3. The thing that's hard to remember is that Holden (and the OPA) watched the protomolecule reduce millions of people to body horror snuff scenes - rib cages crawling around the floor, sentient portions of minds begging for death over the radio, etc. and that except for an exceptionally lucky break, the Eros protomolecule would have carried out it's programming and flown to Earth, infecting every human, animal, and plant on the whole planet.

Holden isn't rational or sympathetic, but he's understandable - take 9/11 trauma, multiply it by a thousand times, then put someone suffering within sight of something that can start it all over again, and you get Holden.
    3. The thing that's hard to remember is that Holden (and the OPA) watched the protomolecule reduce millions of people to body horror snuff scenes - rib cages crawling around the floor, sentient portions of minds begging for death over the radio, etc. and that except for an exceptionally lucky break, the Eros protomolecule would have carried out it's programming and flown to Earth, infecting every human, animal, and plant on the whole planet.

Holden isn't rational or sympathetic, but he's understandable - take 9/11 trauma, multiply it by a thousand times, then put someone suffering within sight of something that can start it all over again, and you get Holden.

But it's really hard to remember that when it wasn't in the show.
    Original_Joseph
  • Fair enough. :) Ok, it reduced millions of people to vomit zombies and sparkly lights and that grabber arm that got the spy guy, and reduced Julie Mao and the crew of the stealth ship to body horror. ;)
    Which Holden didn't see too much of. He saw people being exposed to radiation plus the protomolecule. It's the same with the botanist... the show muted some of the horror elements and consequently the characters are acting a little ridiculous.
  • Happy to say the show has grabbed my attention after 4 episodes. I am still not sure whats happening or who is who but I'm into it 
    Elisabazjenster
    edited March 2018
    iMatty94 said:
    Happy to say the show has grabbed my attention after 4 episodes. I am still not sure whats happening or who is who but I'm into it 

Here's what I would do... http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Season_1

1. Read summaries of the episodes after watching them.
    2. Click on the names as they're referenced if you need your memory jogged about who is who (there's a picture), but read nothing on the character pages. There are spoilers. Seriously, blur your eyes and don't look at anything but the picture
    3. Don't read any "Notes" or "Trivia" at the bottom of the episode summaries. They're well-marked, so you'll see where they start.
    Elisa
  • JaimieT said:
    iMatty94 said:
    Happy to say the show has grabbed my attention after 4 episodes. I am still not sure whats happening or who is who but I'm into it 

2. Click on the names as they're referenced if you need your memory jogged about who is who (there's a picture), but read nothing on the character pages. There are spoilers. Seriously, blur your eyes and don't look at anything but the picture
    3. Don't read any "Notes" or "Trivia" at the bottom of the episode summaries. They're well-marked, so you'll see where they start.
    This is a great idea but I'm doing small binges, but maybe in between watches I could read then 
    JaimieTTaka
    edited March 2018
    iMatty94 said:
    JaimieT said:
    iMatty94 said:

This is a great idea but I'm doing small binges, but maybe in between watches I could read then 

Yeah, I'd just read it after you see the episode. It's like a 5 minute read. And it'll clear stuff up... like for instance, I bet you have no idea how Avarsala (the Indian UN lady) screwed over her lifetime friend for political gain. Just that it happened and he's upset about how he can no longer retire to Mars. In the recap, they say what happened.

Or maybe you did get that and I'm just dense. But I think the show wasn't very hand-holdy about that part. I didn't get it on my second viewing.

Season 2, I don't think this sort of insurance is necessary.
  • I blazed through this show after some initial confusion / rewatching in season one, and the second season really solidified this as my most anticipated upcoming show.  Season two was pretty non-stop for the first several episodes, and I thought the perilous situations throughout were effectively suspenseful, given the expanding scope of the plot and the previous unexpected death of one character.   This show is basically the best Mass Effect game that I'll never get to play, and that's pretty damn good sci-fi television, if nothing else.  I'm just bummed it doesn't go on amazon weekly without buying the season, as that's my only real way to watch it. 
    JaimieTElisa
  • On season 2 now and really annoying it 
    JaimieT
  • Enjoying it
    Elisa
  • So I started my rewatch of Season 1 and searching Expanse while I was bored at work stumbled across this article talking about George RR Martin and one of the 2 writers of the books was his former assistant.  I haven't delved into the books at all with The Expanse but they are definitely on my radar.  Just thought it was kind of cool that there is a distant relationship between the writer of Game of Thrones and one of the writers of The Expanse.

https://winteriscoming.net/2016/10/10/author-ty-franck-expanse-novels-talks-working-george-r-r-martin/
    ken hale
  • I've been reading (listening to) the books over the past few weeks.  Just started the third one.  I should be ready to go when the new season comes out.
    ElisaJaimieT
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Official trailer  B)

• Where is the show relative to the books? I'm about 3/4 the way through book one and wondering where I should get caught up to?
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    The show this season is at the mid of book 2 and should go to the midway point of book 3. 
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I’ve read the first 3 books and the novellas related to the first three. 
  • Thanks @Elisa, I'm a little hazy on the last two seasons so this will be a good refresher before the new season starts. It seems like a lot of the show is taken directly from the books, though I know there are some differences.
    Elisa
  • Elisa said:
    I loved both seasons for different reasons.  Of course I missed Miller, but I really enjoyed both Bobbie Draper and Chrisjen Avasarala taking center stage.  I also didn't mind Prax and the Ganymede arc.  Of course I have read the books so all I have to say is come back for Season 3.  The best is yet to come.

I am going to recommend a podcast on The Expanse that really helped me love and deep dive into the world and help handle the world building and all the characters and planets.  

http://solotalkmedia.com/the-expanse-podcast/

A lot of good comments and analysis @JaimieT

Gotta love Cotyar too. B)

Let me try and answer some of your questions

1) and 2)   The children had leukemia or some sort of cancer or disease which made it easy to accomodate and house the protomolecule.

3) Holden is Ahab and he is probably my least favorite character.  He is a complete anti hero and a-hole.

Totally agree on your ships.

I want to thank you for recommending the Solo talk podcast.  I've only watched each season once before and decided I was going to do a rewatch before season 3 starts back up and have been listening to that podcast as I'm watching the show.  Helps me be sure of what I watched and helps me remember.  Plus it's nice to pass time at work listening to podcasts as I'm working.
    ElisaJaimieT
  • Been catching up on this series. It’s great Sci-Fi. 
    ElisaJaimieT
  • Also this early body count is almost GoT level. 
    ElisaJaimieT
This discussion has been closed.