- Lufkin, Tx
- Last Active
So I was perusing the non-spoiler thread to see thoughts on the episodes and having read the books I just want you to be aware of a few things. The "double d's" as ARon calls them, do take some liberties with the books. For instance the stabbing of a pregnant woman does not happen in the books, but was created specifically for the show. Also Meryn Trant as a pedophile is not in the books. I'm not going to say he isn't a pedo because I don't know, but that isn't in there. Martin has also talked a lot about wanting to be true and realistic about the type of world he has created. It's set in a middle ages type of time period and there wasn't a lot of frolicking and pretty things and princes saving the damsels "Disney-fied" fantasy that truly went on. I agree that there is a lot of messed up things, but humans are, inherently, crazy and messed up haha. Several of the rape scenes didn't happen in the book or at least happened differently, but basically I don't want you blaming GRRM for things that the double d's actually did. Craster is the worst though, can't argue with that. I guess there is just a different in "realistic" fantasy and "fantastical" fantasy aimed at young adults...not as graphic. GRRM just wants to be true to the reality of the world I guess. Plus I'm pretty sure that incest is historically a real thing. It's not like he invented that concept in his head. I'm not saying that makes it "good" or "right" but it does exist and trying to pretend it doesn't goes against what he wanted to create.This has become unenjoyable writing by JRRM. The Sansa rape already felt over the top and now he keeps pushing it further; ruining his own damn creation. He's made this fictitious world where he could go in whatever creative direction he wanted. But he decided to continually shove in our face centuries of Targaryen incest, terrible murders, graphically killing a pregnant woman, Craster raping and enslaving his daughters, multiple disturbing rape scenes; the queen having three incest bastards with her brother; then now in the same episode a pedophile and a father burning his own daughter. This is a fantasy world and Martin could highlight whatever themes and aspects of the world he wished; these plots are an insight into his twisted mind. He is full of sick thoughts and I wish he had kept most of them to himself. I wish I could've seen a PG adaptation of this series. It really pisses me off because the Tyrion character; dragons; white walkers; various royal families and the whole world is so creatively interesting but its being ruined by crap that makes me sick to my stomach.Anyway, not trying to attack or anything but just wanted to clarify that some of these things did not actually come from the man himself but from the creators of the show.
So that episode was...intense and also disheartening. I mean, burn Shireen alive? Really? And it surprised me that the mom even showed any remorse because she's been a bitch to Shireen since...always. I figured they were going to use episode to do the whole Dany flying off with Drogon thing. It just seemed more episode 9 material than episode 10 to me for some reason. However, A.Ron has a point because what is left for any sort of hope for the next episode? From our foreknowledge it doesn't seem like they have any left to create hope with?
Anyway, I don't know just thoughts I have and since my husband has only read the first book I can't discuss things with him haha, so I apologize for the rambling and probably incomplete or inconsistent thoughts.
- Jon killed...possibly as the closing scene, but damn how bleak will that be? I feel like since they really don't seem to want to work outside of the books that it may be fairly similar to how he is stabbed in the books. I mean as far as no seeming way for him to be alive, which will be disappointing.
- Cersei doing the walk of shame...which will be the most positive thing in the episode? Ha
- What about Margarey and Loras? Are we thinking they might just find Loras guilty and kill him since he basically died fighting for Tommen at Dragonstone? And I guess Margarey will be released but distraught over her brother's death? Some kingsguard has to die to make way for Robert Strong, right? Whom I hope we will see as well, but Loras isn't kingsguard in the show is he?
- Kevan possibly dying? That seems kind of random since we haven't seen him at all since he left for Casterly Rock, but I guess we could see Grand Maester Pycelle killed and then have Varys shoot Kevan...again, bleak since Kevan is seen as even more of a badass in the show because of how he talks to Cersei. There just doesn't seem to be enough room in the episode for this part though...I feel like Cersei's walk is going to take up a good portion, I just hope they don't make her body perfect and beautiful because in the books she keeps thinking about all her stretchmarks and how they now can see how not perfect she is and all that. I mean I know Lena Heady is gorgeous, but come on...
- Arya killing Meryn...and then going blind. Possibly killing the thin man before that? IIRC she does actually kill that insurance guy in the books.
- Sansa? I don't know what the hell they are going to do with that...maybe her story line will be the hope bringing one. Maybe she will kill Ramsay? Who knows...Maybe Theon trying to ride off and save her like in the books, giving his character some kind of redemption.
- I saw in the "next time on" something with Brienne, but who knows about that...maybe she will kill the Kinslayer Stannis. Plus Pod said something about "You betrayed her?" Unless I misheard...
- Someone mentioned Davos possibly being the one who gets Sam/Gilly/Little Sam out and headed toward Oldtown. I like this idea but I don't know what would push it...seeing Jon get stabbed? Receiving a note regarding Shireen being burned? I feel like Stannis probably doesn't have too many crows to just be sending off, but ultimately how will Davos know about that until he gets back with Stannis? I feel like Jon may send Sam off before they get whatever information may lead toward Jon getting stabbed.
- Then we still have some kind of wrap-up to do in Dorne, right? Or are we finished with that story line? I feel like there's still something else going to happen there.
- Oh, and back with Dany. Are we going to see her again at all? I feel like we may not...we will probably see Meereen again though and I'm curious to see who is going to be in charge now? Tyrion? I mean I don't think Hizdar and Dany ever actually got married in the show, unless I missed something, and in the books he sort of takes over as King awaiting Dany's return but now what (especially since he appears to have died? He definitely got stabbed a few times..)? Of course Dany flying off with Drogon and leaving everyone else screwed, but I figure a lot of the Sons were going to be in shock and Daario will take a lot of them out. I also don't think Dany will be getting greyscale because I think it's the same idea as when Tyrion touched Jorah (or vice/versa). The actual area of infection was not touched and since it hasn't spread everywhere yet she will be fine. How dumb would it be for her to get that? I hope they don't go that route.
- I know they've just recently released the casting news which alludes to Greyjoy clan being in next season, but what if that's slightly misleading? What if the closing scene is some sort of Greyjoy one to set up next season? Like maybe we see some character we don't know and a guy runs up and says Euron, we just got a crow that says your father is dead. They are calling for a Kingsmoot...or something to that affect. Then they will have actually already used Euron without every even knowing he has been cast and that way the season ends with a little more to look forward to.