The Random Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Kicking the chair was hilarious. As well as "broccoli? my food eats that for fiod. I don't appreciate you eating my food's food."
    BourbonQueenTravis
  • Oh man that's a hilarious video. 'Do you have any chicken that tastes like tofu?'
    BourbonQueenTravis
  • Has this ever happened to anyone?
    http://i.imgur.com/D0n7axS.jpg
  • This is fascinating and frightening
    CodyHarris821
  • Yesterday was 5 years since Macho Man passed. RIP. DIG IT!
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Ran into a friend of mine from high school tonight, and we got to talking about GoT. He asked me about which podcasts I listened to and I mentioned Bald Move; he instantly said "No way! You know Bald Move!?" Made my weekend.
    DeeHatorianhisdudeness915FernNYC17Frakkin TMelonuskDancesWithWookiesMichelleTaraC73Travis
  • MelonuskMelonusk Ireland
    edited May 2016
    What A.Ron mentioned on the last OTR is happening now - the expansion of the inflatable module on the ISS (it's a very slow process). Edit: neat little recap of the expansion: 
  • What's up with all of the zoo incidents lately? People need to stay the fuck out of animal habitats! I get why ultimately the zoos had to kill the gorilla and lions and I'm not out to call the parents from the gorilla incident bad parents (I get it, kids can get away you really quickly and it doesn't necessarily mean that you're being neglectful), but you know who didn't do anything wrong? The gorilla and the lions. It's just messed up is all.
    Frakkin TDancesWithWookiesMichelle
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Travis said:

What's up with all of the zoo incidents lately? People need to stay the fuck out of animal habitats! I get why ultimately the zoos had to kill the gorilla and lions and I'm not out to call the parents from the gorilla incident bad parents (I get it, kids can get away you really quickly and it doesn't necessarily mean that you're being neglectful), but you know who didn't do anything wrong? The gorilla and the lions. It's just messed up is all.

I never realized until yesterday how many of my friends are either parenting experts or gorilla behavioral experts. It's nice to know my friends are so smart.
    TravisHatorianSlytherinSister
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 2016

@Frakkin T Yeah, a lot of people have a lot of really strong opinions on this one. I get that people see what happened and need to have someone to blame for situations as messed up as these but sometimes it just is what it is. Personally, I can't point any fingers and wouldn't want to (maybe with the exception of wondering how from the zoo's standpoint a kid would be capable of falling into a gorilla habitat, but I haven't seen the set-up over there and thus I can't really criticize it) but I just hate that it had to happen. I can point the finger at some asshole who decides to go all "suicide by zoo lion" (assuming that report is true) for being so goddamn selfish, but that's the only blame that I am prepared to levy. Ultimately though, it's just such a shame and it makes me sad, and I hope that there can at least be some education about zoos to come out of it.

I did hear that the family of the kid is taking a bunch of heat now and I think that is unfair. Hell, my wife and I thought we lost my nephew once. We were walking through a really big arcade and he got distracted by something and wandered off and it took about 15 terrifying minutes to find him. I assume most people who have watched children a lot in crowded, distracting places have similar stories. I get it, and regardless of the gorilla's intentions (and I am one who believes gorillas to be fundamentally peaceful creatures) the kid was most certainly in danger. They had to do what they had to do, but the whole thing just sucks. You know?

It does suck, and I've stayed away from any kind of deep dive on it because it's just upsetting all around and it's obvious that a lot of people are going to have a lot of intense feelings about it. 
    Travis
  • Coincidentally, I was just re-watching some of A Conversation With Koko the other day (wonderful documentary). Gorillas are amazing. This whole thing is really sad.

• TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Jack Hannah has the best explanation on the whole situation. As far as "animal experts" go, he and the crocodile hunter have always been my favorites. He agrees the zoo did what it had to do. If they had tranq'd him, it would have taken 15-30 mins to kick in, he could have freaked out upon initial shot and hurt the kid, he could have passed out in the moat and both gorilla and kid could have/would have drowned, or it may not have even worked at all necessitating another shot. Even though the gorilla looked like he was comforting the kid, a male gorilla gentle touch is far far too rough for a 4 year old kid to handle; and Hannah said that it looked more like he was posing the kid to be his trophy, not comforting him. While he doesn't think the gorilla was trying to be malicious, bottom line is the kid was getting majorly banged up, and there's no way to reason with a 450 pound animal to give the kid back. It had to end the way it ended.

As for the parents of the boy, I do hold them responsible for their kid slipping away. I can honestly say that there is no way in hell any of my kids would ever be able to be out of my sight long enough for that to happen. Death threats and even urging for CPS investigations are absolutely unnecessary and wrong, but there have been a few witnesses who heard the kid say he was going to go down/through the barrier, and one lady saw the kid scramble under the first barrier and thought what the hell is happening here. It was not a quick thing like a kid running into the street or touching a hot stove - it was quite a process for him to get down there.

It's a tragic incident all around *but* in the end a gorilla life is less important than a kid life. People need to stop projecting human emotions onto the gorilla. He's a wild animal. And they also need to stop the death threats toward the family!

I am neither a parenting expert nor a gorilla expert. I am simply a mom of 3 who thinks people are focusing way too much attention on this gorilla shooting when there are innocent people being shot and otherwise murdered every day.
    edited June 2016
    @Travis I agree, and if I have one opinion that comes out of all of this it's that zoos shouldn't exist anymore. Blackfish made people realize that Orcas are sentient and that keeping them captive to do tricks is wrong, and I think the entire zoo-going world needs to learn the same lesson. If a creature has language and you can talk to it, you have no business keeping it in a cage to be gawked at
    TaraC73Travis
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I appreciate hearing all sides of things. And really appreciate hearing Hannah's viewpoint, because things like that I just don't have the knowledge to initially comprehend. The only thing I'l say is similar to @Frakkin T , I disagree with zoos existing on a pretty visceral level. My first trip to a zoo ended with me coming home in tears because the animals just seemed sad. So perhaps I am too much of a bleeding heart, but at least things like this wouldn't have to happen if we didn't have zoos.

With that said, I am not trying to say zoos are inherently evil. I am sure many are incredibly cared for by employees who love the animals--but it just seems wrong. Same as how it bothers me that my neighbors have dogs that they seem to keep chained up for a good portion of the time.
    TaraC73Travissleef
  • @Travis I get what your saying I really do but all I can say is there are so many children and so few Gorillas. 

Does that make me a horrible person?

I have no children...
    TaraC73Travis
    @Frakkin T how do you feel about zoos that keep animals to help them rebuild population? I'm thinking of the panda bear programs specifically. They would be all but extinct by now if it weren't for these types of programs.

I am not a fan of orcas in captivity... As a rule, however, animals of a smaller size *can* benefit from living in a zoo. I would say some animals are actually better off in zoos. Polar bears come to mind; their habitat is shrinking by the day and the ones I've seen in various zoos have sprawling habitats, more than adequate food and mental stimulation as well as vets on call to keep them healthy. Koalas seem to have it good in zoos too - no fires burning down their habitats and no humans trying to pet them... Bigger animals like elephants and rhinos though, that's a tough call. They live in the wild over hundreds of miles; but they are also targets of poachers.

By and large, I feel like the majority of zoos are in it for the animals - not dirty profit like sea world. And as such, they need us "gawkers" to help pay for the animals' care.
    DeeTravis

I appreciate hearing all sides of things. And really appreciate hearing Hannah's viewpoint, because things like that I just don't have the knowledge to initially comprehend. The only thing I'l say is similar to @Frakkin T , I disagree with zoos existing on a pretty visceral level. My first trip to a zoo ended with me coming home in tears because the animals just seemed sad. So perhaps I am too much of a bleeding heart, but at least things like this wouldn't have to happen if we didn't have zoos.

With that said, I am not trying to say zoos are inherently evil. I am sure many are incredibly cared for by employees who love the animals--but it just seems wrong. Same as how it bothers me that my neighbors have dogs that they seem to keep chained up for a good portion of the time.

I will never, EVER understand why people get dogs only to keep them chained up outside all day and night! Why bother having them at all??
    MichelleTravis
  • MichelleMichelle California
    TaraC73 said:

Jack Hannah has the best explanation on the whole
    I am neither a parenting expert nor a gorilla expert. I am simply a mom of 3 who thinks people are focusing way too much attention on this gorilla shooting when there are innocent people being shot and otherwise murdered every day.

I agree with your post, but I disagree with the last statement. I don't think it has to be one or the other; I think we can legitimately be upset at both. Because this story is such a hot topic, though, people tend to be more vocal about it. That doesn't mean that they don't care or aren't upset about anything else.
    TaraC73Travis
    Michelle said:

TaraC73 said:

I agree with your post, but I disagree with the last statement. I don't think it has to be one or the other; I think we can legitimately be upset at both. Because this story is such a hot topic, though, people tend to be more vocal about it. That doesn't mean that they don't care or aren't upset about anything else.
    You've got a point. :) and honestly I'm always saying things like that (I can care about two different things at the same time)...
    Travis
  • The really sad part of this whole situation (outside a poor animal dying of course) is that society makes such a big deal about this on social media but tend to ignore extremely important matters like government officials and offices breaking laws or a political system that is broken. Priorities are definitely not straight.
    TaraC73
  • Michelle said:

TaraC73 said:

I would disagree with this statement. My Facebook was blasted with Gorilla news for the last 2 days or whatever it's been. I hardly see that type of response for other important matters. I think we just live in a society where people try to make causes out of everything. And latch onto "what's hot".
    TaraC73
  • TaraC73 said:

It's a tragic incident all around *but* in the end a gorilla life is less important than a kid life. People need to stop projecting human emotions onto the gorilla. He's a wild animal.

Wow I could not disagree more with that statement. Just how exactly can you quantify which life is worth more? And are you saying that animals don't have emotions? I'm not saying they shouldn't have tried to rescue the kid, but to me, animal lives are as precious as human life. No more, and definitely no less. I just don't see the difference. I don't want to comment on what should have been done, maybe it was the parents' fault, maybe it was the zoo's, maybe it was both, but one thing is sure: it wasn't the gorilla's and he's the one that had to pay the price, and that's tragic and unfair.

As far as zoos go, I've been in some terrible ones where the animals were in tiny cages and mostly alone. But I've also been to ones where they had plenty of space and other animals for companionship, and as close to their natural habitat as it can get. I think well-run zoos are important in species preservation, and also in teaching people about the animals. I mean, I had always known rhinos were one of the most endangered animals, but it wasn't until I saw one in a zoo up close that I really understood what a magnificent animal it was, and how important it is to try and save them.
    TravisTaraC73
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited June 2016
    Reni said:

I think well-run zoos are important in species preservation, and also in teaching people about the animals. I mean, I had always known rhinos were one of the most endangered animals, but it wasn't until I saw one in a zoo up close that I really understood what a magnificent animal it was, and how important it is to try and save them.

This is what I was going to touch on too. People will care more about things/animals that they feel somehow bonded to. I remember the first time my wife showed me A Conversation With Koko early on in our relationship. I had never really given much thought to them before. I mean, I thought gorillas were "cool" and all, but that documentary blew my fuckin mind, and ever since if I am looking for a charity to donate a few bucks one of my go-to ones is the Gorilla Foundation. I agree that there are bad zoos, and I really, really, REALLY hate bad zoos, but there are also a lot of good ones. Ones that set out to grow endangered populations, take in animals from bad zoos (or other borderline to straight up torturous situations) that are ill equipped to handle life in the wild (I really love the Montana Grizzly Encounter as an example of this), and try to provide awareness and a bond for people. I support good natured zoos for this.

As for projecting human emotions onto animals I disagree, but I also realize it makes me a complete hypocrite in not really paying any attention to where my meat comes from. That issue aside and I will throw up my hands and admit to my hypocrisy, it's hard to watch the Koko documentary, or other examinations of animals, hell to look into my dog's or cats' eyes and watch them behave and not credit them with true emotions. They do operate differently than humans. They have their own structures, their own entirely different species-cultural bent, and perhaps their emotions aren't as complex as human emotions, but they are certainly there. I have not even a shred of doubt that this is true.

@DancesWithWookies Ha! It's true, they could just make another. I mean, do you know how difficult it is to get gorillas to breed in captivity? They can be very choosy and their options are extremely limited. They certainly need more than a Massive Attack cd and a bottle of red wine.

@Hatorian I definitely understand what you are saying, and don't necessarily disagree. I would say though that my facebook timeline is blasted constantly with people pointing fingers at Washington or pointing fingers at rich people and poor people and this candidate and that one and on and on. I suppose one of the things here is that calling for zoo reforms to make sure that people, and particularly children can't climb into habitats feels like something that can be accomplished. Also, I guess that if presented in an even way this doesn't have to be something that starts a fight (though I do know that many people in other social media areas have become pretty zealot-ous about it and have done so). I just think they are a couple of sad stories that bring a problem to light. A very solvable problem. For me, the big problems in Washington come down to voting where my heart takes me and holding my fingers. I know there is more that can be done, but in the scope of my life that's about all I've got (also, I am not educated enough on the topic to fight with people over politics and have no desire to do so which is how that stuff always seems to end. So not only have I lost a debate, often (not always, but often) with people who know the same amount as me but have a forceful lack of humility, and everyone walks away annoyed). In essence, this was just a story that really bummed me out. I do get what you are saying though. Completely. I was just listening to a Bill Simmons podcast the other day about the water crisis in Africa and how fixable it is and I've been waiting for my next paycheck to try to give some money to Charity Water because the idea that people are dying of diarrhea from drinking water that looks like chocolate milk is pretty offensive to me.  It's very true that I could have, but haven't, publically put anything out there about that and probably should (by the way that Simmons cast with a guy names Scott Harrison was incredibly interesting and very moving at parts).

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited June 2016
    Hatorian said:

Michelle said:

TaraC73 said:

I would disagree with this statement. My Facebook was blasted with Gorilla news for the last 2 days or whatever it's been. I hardly see that type of response for other important matters. I think we just live in a society where people try to make causes out of everything. And latch onto "what's hot".
    Of course your Facebook has been blasted, because that is the nature of a hot/trending topic.   However, I stand by my claim that people are capable of being upset about more than one thing at a time.  Just because they're busy posting about the latest hot/trending topic doesn't mean they're not also upset over soldiers' deaths, innocent people being shot by police, school shootings, dirty politicians, etc.

While we're on the subject, when the hell are we going to do something about this???

On a happier topic, this is very cool! 
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Hey @A_Ron_Hubbard , how bout them Cavs!
    TaraC73
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    What in the heck is monkey bread? Is that what Americans call banana bread?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @trippy Weird! And nowt to do with monkeys, apparently. I take it the stuff in the cans is some kind of dough?
    Monkey bread. It is delicious. For best results, use real butter not margarine.
    http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/grands-monkey-bread/7a1e41b1-4708-4028-8ce6-fcb5baebbc19