The Random Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• edited August 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2016
  • Oh wow, I love those crocheted GoT characters!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lets switch things up.

enjoy
  • Italy's Supreme Court rules public masturbation not a crime - CNN
    https://apple.news/ApZvzprIiRhakUQpHqZuBxg

Saw this headline and just couldn't help myself
    TaraC73mathew
  • Just the needle on the scale that I needed to plan an Italian vacation. Look out Vatican Museum!

TaraC73
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Best ad ever.
    Melonusk
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Okay...that was really well done. Was that Thomas Jane? I also may or may not have gotten a tad misty towards the end once things turned the corner.
  • kingbee67 said:

Best ad ever.

Wow that was tremendous!!!!
  • I bet the judge sentences this guy to house arrest and 10000 hours of reruns of The View
  • Out of nowhere, over the course of today Difficult People and The Mindy Project started following me on Twitter. So, yeah, I finally have that validation of how very important my jokes about Billy Corgan and settling the DNC primary by holding a skateboard race truly are. Tastemaker status, mother fucker! (or maybe it's just because I follow Mindy Kaling and they're trying to boost their numbers) Either way, if a character on one of those shows starts whining that their only friend is a stapler with a face drawn on it in white-out next season I'm gonna sue somebody, fo-sho!

• has there been any interviews with the kid? I kind of stayed of social media when it happened, the incident and then the maelstrom of media around it was just kinda gross. 

I mean, damn, how do you have such a lack of self preservation as to climb into a gorilla enclosure?  However I don't have kids, i don't know if they are just barreling into danger 24/7. Maybe this is an example of ignorance and just plain disconnection our society has with nature. We don't fear it, we don't respect it. 

• https://www.facebook.com/dorkly/videos/1223341421042599/
    If you love a good Star Wars/ Star Trek debate, check this out. It absolutely killed me!!!!
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    @aberry89 as a parent your #1 job is to keep your kid alive... *most* kids have zero fear about stuff they should be fearful of until age 4-5 then many kids gain a sense of "maybe I shouldn't do this stupid thing" that kid was just being a kid - it has nothing to do with respect - at that age kids don't have the mental capability to grasp that concept.

The mother is 150% at fault here.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited September 2016
    TaraC73 said:

@aberry89 as a parent your #1 job is to keep your kid alive... *most* kids have zero fear about stuff they should be fearful of until age 4-5 then many kids gain a sense of "maybe I shouldn't do this stupid thing" that kid was just being a kid - it has nothing to do with respect - at that age kids don't have the mental capability to grasp that concept.

The mother is 150% at fault here.

My 2 kids are exact opposites. The oldest has been a scardey cat since he was like 2. Would never do anything that seemed dangerous. Not even slides. He is 5 now and still just way too careful. It's hard to get him to try anything. My youngest is fearless. He just jumps in and does whatever he wants. No care in the world.

In regards to the Harambe thing. As a parent it only takes 2 seconds for your kid to disappear. I've turned my head to check something and turned back around and my kid was like 10 feet away. Unless you have your hand on them at all times or want to be that parent willing to leash your kid then there is a chance they will get away from you. It's happened to me. Not because I was negligent or a bad parent. But because it takes 2 seconds for your kid to do something you're not expecting. More power to the parents out there that have secret service level attention and reaction abilities. Not all parents do. Plus If you don't have kids then you can't really comment on Harambe. (Not directing this at anyone in particular here) You're in no place to put judgement on parents unless you just so happen to be the perfect parent that never lost their kid or let them out of your sight for 5 seconds.
    trippyDaveyMac
  • Thats so crazy to me that tiny children don't have innate fears of dangerous things!! How did we evolve as a species??!!  I guess because we had intelligent parents to watch over us. But wouldn't it be helpful for us to know like, that is a cobra, it is wired into me, do no touch.  @hatorian ;

I know kids have no concept of respect, not the way we as adults do toward nature. I think I mean more, if out of the womb we lived, ate and completely were in a natural habitat like animals we would have the learned knowledge of what to be afraid of. I know it's a completely dead end thought experiment though,  we don't live that way anymore and there are good things and bad things about that. One bad thing is we just are completely disconnected to where our food comes from, the long process to get that food, what animals died and how, so we can eat. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but its allways a niggling fear in the back of my mind of what that sort of disconnected could lead. @TaraC73
    TaraC73
  • There is definitely innate fears. I mean. Children (and adults) are afraid of the dark. Children do have specific fears that you can tell have been bred into us for survival.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Good lord, parents are not infallible and children move like lightning. It's all well and good to point fingers but there's not a parent alive who didn't fuck up one time and not give 100% attention to their kid. Most parents are just lucky enough that it doesn't result in them being vilified on the internet for it.
    HatorianDaveyMac
  • edited September 2016
  • Dee said:

Good lord, parents are not infallible and children move like lightning. It's all well and good to point fingers but there's not a parent alive who didn't fuck up one time and not give 100% attention to their kid. Most parents are just lucky enough that it doesn't result in them being vilified on the internet for it.

Exactly
    DaveyMac
    edited September 2016

We live in an age where teens and adults die taking selfies, so it's not surprising to me at all that a small child could wander into a gorilla enclosure without a care in the world.

I think that's 2 different things. Teens definitely know they could die if they try taking a selfie hanging off a building. Whilst a child wouldn't have that knowledge. The teen is doing it for the thrill, or attention or whatever. But they definitely know the consequences. When I was a teen I remember 3 specific incidents where I put my own life in my hands doing stupid shit. One specific instance if a car was 10 seconds later than it was I probably wouldn't be here and it would be totally my fault.

Personally I would say if a 16 year old kid jumped into Harmabes habitat then that kid deserves the outcome and Harambe should not have been killed to save that teen.

But you then say it's a 3 year old child who obviously doesn't understand or know better and accidentally falls into the habitat then killing Harambe to save that child is (unfortunately) a no brainer in my eyes. Obviously it's a lose lose situation and the outcome sucks either way. But it needs to be done.

• DeeDee Adelaide
    There's a lot of science indicating that teenagers have extremely poor impulse control, so I'd not be pointing fingers in that scenario either, personally.
    DaveyMac
    edited September 2016
    Yea. You start giving teenagers free passes on their actions then that's a dangerous road to go down. Just because their impulse control is poor doesn't mean they don't know right from wrong. It just means they make poor decisions in the moment. Should they maybe get a bit of leniency for extreme actions? Maybe. And they usually do. But should they get the "well kids will be kids" treatment if they kill someone or do something extremely drastic that hurts many people? I don't think so.
    TaraC73