The Random Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is a 16 year old doesn't deserve to die over an animal because they did something stupid and impulsive.
  • Fair enough. 1. I didn't put any words in your mouth. 2. Not taking anything into context I think human life is more important than animal life. Whether you like to believe it or not Harambe is not going to cure cancer. 3. People need to be held accountable at some point. We can always make excuses but there needs to be a line somewhere.
    TaraC73
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    It sounds like we more or less agree. And don't get me wrong, I'm not here for teens getting away with stupid shit but I'm just not here for them (or anyone really) deserving to die for doing stupid shit.
    Hatorian
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    It was noted far and wide that the mother was on her phone, ignoring the kid at the time he went into the enclosure. He was also nagging her "I'm going in to see the gorilla"... it's the mother's fault.

I've got 3 kids, been a mom for 14 years. I get that kids can be gone in an instant. Thankfully my kids are pretty mellow and always have been. My youngest one is prettt fearful, but still prone to doing stupid shit. Am I perfect? Fuck no. Each of my kids has had one life or death incident where god forbid it could have gone a different way; partially my fault and I take full responsibility because I am the grown up. I didn't have my hand on them in a potentially dangerous situation and shit momentarily went bad. But I wasn't neglecting them - huge difference. No kid of mine is ever going to have the opportunity to jump into a fucking gorilla habitat, that's for damn sure.

Hatorian
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited September 2016
    Yea. It's a sad situation all the way around. unfortunately there is no way I'd ever say the child deserved to die. Even if the parent was negligent the zoo did the right thing. You cannot let the kid die(or even take the chance) even if the parent was on the phone and not paying attention. Like I said it was a lose lose situation. It could have easily been a case of the parent losing sight of their kid for 2 seconds and by no fault of anyone the child needed to be saved. Or on the other hand it was definitely the parents fault for being overly negligent and allowing the kid ample time to get into the enclosure and the zoo had to kill a poor animal because of their negligence. Either way you have to save a human baby. No way around it.
    TaraC73
    Absolutely - human life always trumps animal life.
    Dee
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited September 2016
    Well, I've got one kid and I know there have been times when she was little and I ignored her whining because I was busy doing something else. There but for the grace of blah blah blah. There could be a million reasons why she was on the phone, not just yakking it up with her BFF about nothing.

If anyone is to blame it's a bloody zoo that has a wild animal enclosure that it's even possible for a kid to get into or fall into. What parent would ever even consider that could be a possibility?

That's my say on it over, or this could drag on forever.
    TaraC73DaveyMac

• TaraC73 said:

I think the Harambe thing went down the way that it needed to, and I'm not disputing that, but I don't know that I can sign off on that as a blanket statement. Poachers come to mind. Also, people who willfully keep and mistreat animals. I once went to a grizzly rescue in Montana where they had a bear who had spent something like 14 years in a cage that maybe surpassed its body size by a few feet in space. Would it have been a tragedy if that bear had gotten loose and killed those fuckers who did that to it? I see stories on the news where people flat out torture dogs to absolutely disgusting levels all the time. If a situation were to arise where those dogs mauled their torturing captors, I would call that justice. Reasonable and fundamentally kind humans, most human beings belong within your statement, but most certainly not all of them.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I thought this was supposed to be a random interesting thread:

TravisTaraC73MichelleMelonuskDaveyMacmathew
  • Holy shit! So many great things are going on in that picture. Breaks my brain a little.

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited September 2016
    I love this.

• Travis said:

TaraC73 said:

I think the Harambe thing went down the way that it needed to, and I'm not disputing that, but I don't know that I can sign off on that as a blanket statement. Poachers come to mind. Also, people who willfully keep and mistreat animals. I once went to a grizzly rescue in Montana where they had a bear who had spent something like 14 years in a cage that maybe surpassed its body size by a few feet in space. Would it have been a tragedy if that bear had gotten loose and killed those fuckers who did that to it? I see stories on the news where people flat out torture dogs to absolutely disgusting levels all the time. If a situation were to arise where those dogs mauled their torturing captors, I would call that justice. Reasonable and fundamentally kind humans, most human beings belong within your statement, but most certainly not all of them.
    Agree with that. Which is why I said "not taking anything into context human life is more important". There are definitely instances where that is not the case.
    TravisTaraC73
  • Something that I shouldn't care about, but am oddly interested in:

Angelina Jolie filed for divorce from Brad Pitt.
    Says it's because of differences of opinion in child rearing.
    She has the same lawyer that represented Jonny Depp in his divorce.
    TaraC73
  • @Hatorian I can get down with that. I was just being an "always" fascist in regards to @TaraC73 's summation. I've just got a very jagged spot inside when it comes to animal cruelty.

TaraC73
    Yes and I agree with you guys as far as there are some human lives that don't deserve respect absolutely... I should have said in most cases, human lives trump animal lives.

Travis
  • Certainly agree with "in most cases."

On a side note, judge me as you will, but I really like So You Think You Can Dance. My wife and I watch and bet on the outcome every year but we were going to skip "The Next Generation" because we figured there would be no way that it wouldn't be really watered down and not as interesting. Then she got the flu (or something akin to it) for a few days, tried it out, got hooked on it, and roped me back in. The point being a dude dancing with an 8 year old kid totally made me cry. It was just a super interesting (and really well staged) interpretation of the idea of being a total mess and solemnly reflecting on the loss of your innocence and having a conversation with that younger version of yourself. It was very powerful for me as in my younger, much more uneven days I have had similar reflections. Anyhoo, in case anyone is interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DctLJHiJgOI

• TravisTravis CA
    edited September 2016

@akritenbrink Ha! My wife wishes!

Yeah, I was glad when that kid got eliminated. Aside from the definite discomfort of little kids doing sexy-ish ballroom dancing with grown ups I also just kind of didn't like that kid. He seemed like he might be the kind of kid who is a total brat off screen (did I just say that publicly? Am I a bad person?). I get what you're saying about TJ, but I was actually kind of happy. If you put aside some of the inherent physical limitations dude was pretty impressive. It's always tough though. I remember the year that Legacy was going through and he kept getting "out of genre" points and is that fair? I honestly don't know. I kind of chalked his experience through the show similarly, but I don't know if that's a fair barometer. At least in this case it was 100% votes so I guess their conscience is clear. All that said, him and Robert were just fucking amazing together every time. I kept telling my wife, "this is the week, this is the week where they announce that Robert gave up a kid for adoption about 8 years ago..." It was a really pleasant surprise. I think Kida (who I am convinced was named after the Radiohead record) was pretty amazing and the Canadian girl was fantastic. I'm really hoping we're back to adults next season (and hopefully some very, very missed Sonya Tayeh choreography), but that was a really successful little experiment.

• Yeah, as much as I really liked watching TJ with Robert I kind of wondered why they let someone so young in when they just physically aren't capable of so much that kids only a few years older are capable of. I did like Tahani, but man, seeing her dance next to Comfort was kind of brutal at times. Not her fault, but being next to someone that insanely good was not an advantage for her where it somehow worked out that way for a couple of other kids. Oh, actually Tate's possibly a good example of what that. Fuckin Catherine, man. She just carries people, and she's amazing at it. I remember her and Legacy and how she basically threw that dude on her back for about half a season. Tate, though I think she was better than I think you did, was most definitely a beneficiary there where Tahani probably had a disadvantage. I don't know how it works but half the time all I could see was Comfort blowing Tahani off the stage despite the fact that she was really talented.

Yeah, in the end I completely agree. They got it right with Kida. At least to my laymen eye test he was pretty clearly the best of the lot. I know what you mean though. You start rooting for it and getting attached to contestants. I recently told my wife that Alex Wong's injury was one of the worst things that ever happened to me. Ha! (though that more so came down to a bet that I inevitably lost where he would have kicked everyone's ass and I had to buy my wife a purse as opposed to being taken to Vegas).

• HA HA! That amazing, ridiculously cool hip hop number. Fantastic!!! I smiled super big just now having someone else recall it. That's great! That number was the moment that I knew there was no way I was going to lose. I bragged so damned hard that night. It was the next week that he dropped out, right?

I had a feeling everything would work out just fine for that guy. So goddamn talented. I still say his Achilles tendon (pretty sure that was the injury, but I don't remember for sure) owes me a weekend in Vegas though.

• Count me in! We tend to watch it a day or two behind though just in case that's annoying. They typically air it on one of my bowling nights so we catch up the next chance we get to watch it. If you don't mind a bit of lag though I would certainly chime in.
  • I appreciate that. Yeah, no voting for me, but that's ok. Even when we were watching it live and I was free on those nights we pretty seldom voted though. I'm not anti-voting or anything, and we did do it a few times, I guess I just figured it wouldn't make much difference.