11 22 63

Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
edited January 2016 in Other TV
Not sure if anyone else is looking forward to this one, but 11/22/63 is supposedly one of King's best books. I am going to try and finish the book before the show gets here... Anyway it looks great. What are everyone else's thoughts?

MichelleDummy

Comments

• I've been looking forward to this pretty much ever since it was announced. The trailers look great, and I'm excited - however, as great as King's books are, the movie/tv adaptations seem to be very hit or miss... so I'm a little bit anxious, too.
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    This and the Aaron Paul show look great. I don't really want to subscribe to hulu tho....
  • I read the book. Not bad but ended in typical stephen king fashion as I recall. See if the show does the same.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I hadn't heard about it until now, but I will definitely be watching! 
    Dummy
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Oh damn looks really good
  • Michelle said:

I hadn't heard about it until now, but I will definitely be watching! 

Same here. This is my first time hearing about this show, but that trailer looked realllllly good. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I read the book after seeing the teaser trailer a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed it (though it does slump a bit in the middle because like all Stephen King's post 1990-ish books, it's in need of a more ruthless editor). I'm looking forward to it, but a bit wary because of how awful Under The Dome was.
    ElisaA_Ron_Hubbard
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I'm excited for The Path because of the cast and creative team, but the trailer for 11.22.63 is hella impressive.
    ElisaDrew
  • DrewDrew indianapolis

I'm excited for The Path because of the cast and creative team, but the trailer for 11.22.63 is hella impressive.

Exactly how I feel. The trailer for The Path didn't get me very excited but the trailer for this was pretty damn amazing. Good to see Hulu stepping their game up.
    pavlovsbell
  • This book has been sitting on my kindle for ages. Perhaps it's time to crack it open.
  • I also have it on Kindle, and started reading it yesterday. I got through about the third of it. It's good stuff, I love it so far. I'm not a hardcore fan of Stephen King, but he is really great at worldbuilding, and the picture he paints with his words is so vivid. As a teenager, I started to read several of his books but could never finish them because I found them too scary, lol. Maybe I ought to re-read those after I finish this one.
    DaveyMac
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    King is hit-or-miss after his accident in 1999, but some of his later stuff has been absolutely phenomenal (i.e. Full Dark No Stars). People also seem to think that once his drug use stopped his work took a nose-dive. I am not sure if that is true. He churns out so much work that it invariably some of it is going to be a bit crummy. Some of my favorite stuff by him is below--

Full Dark No Stars : Four novellas. All are, as the title suggest really fucking bleak and dark.
    Pet Semetary : This is King at his best, utilizing horror to tell a story that is on the surface scary but which also brings psychological fear of loss and pain to the forefront.
    Misery : A quick, visceral read. The main character is pretty boring, but that doesn't stop it from being some enthralling stuff.
    Carrie : King's earlier published work. He is still playing with his structure here, and it can easily be read in a couple of sittings.
    The Long Walk : Another short read and written under his pseudonym, Richard Bachman. This is some REALLY dark stuff, but I adore it.
    IT : King's magnum opus on monsters. Is it super long? Yes. Was it written while King was up to his nose addicted to cocaine and drugs and booze? Yes. Is it a great book? Yes, but probably could have used some more editing. However he really does craft a great world and mythology here.
    The Green Mile : If you have a dry eye at the end of this, you are lacking a soul.
    Gerald's Game : Pure psychological horror. If a lover has ever asked to handcuff you to a bed--this one should be particularly frightening.
    Dee
  • I've only read two King books: "The Shining", which I enjoyed immensely, and "Dr. Sleep", the sequel to "The Shining", which starts off really strong, but becomes less interesting as it goes. Still, there is some fantastic stuff in that book with Danny Torrance. 

• I love Stephen King, and 11/22/63 was a really, really good book. I'm super excited about this series, and am going to subscribe to Hulu just for this!
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I have a fondness for Stephen King. I used to raid my aunt's bookshelf for reading material when I'd exhausted my Nancy Drews and Encyclopedia Browns and she had a few King novels so his were among the first "adult" books I started reading when I was 12 or 13. I remember reading Salem's Lot and having the shit scared out of me, as well as Carrie, Cujo, Christine, etc. The novel It is my second favourite book of all time and I've read it many times.

I do feel like a lot of his work after Needful Things is not great, but he's made a comeback for me and I've enjoyed his last few years of work again.
    Reni
  • Carrie was the first one I ever read, when I was 12 or 13. I sneaked it off my mother's bookshelf at random, and I'm glad I was introduced to Stephen King with it. It was scary enough that it really gripped me and was exciting, but not scary enough to terrify me for life.

I'm now about halfway through 11/22/63, and still love it. What I hope is they'll include James Franco doing the Lindy Hop in the show, 'cause that's something I'd really love to see :)
    Dee
  • Misery : A quick, visceral read. The main character is pretty boring, but that doesn't stop it from being some enthralling stuff.

The writer dude is not very interesting, but Annie? She's fucking terrifying, man. The movie was also great, Kathy Bates won an Oscar for playing her. One of the few King-adaptations that are really excellent.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I was a King fanatic mainly his horror stuff like Salems Lot, the Shining, the Stand, It, the Dark Tower Series but then he kinda lost his mojo and I got bored of his writing. I'll check it out because I love time travel and I am intrigued.
  • I have a question for the book readers, not super spoilery but I'll put it in white text:

When Jake goes back to '58 for the last time, he describes buying ink and paper and writing a long text/letter, then putting it in a safety box and burying it at the lake where he previously threw his cellphone in. Does anyone know what that's all about? Probably something really obvious, but somehow it went completely over my head...
    Dee
  • elgat0elgat0 Clearwater
    I finished 11/22/63 a couple of weeks ago.  As a King fan and a History fan, it was right in my wheel house.  Like my most of King's books, the journey is better than the destination.

For those interested, my favorite King work in recent years is Duma Key.  I've only listened to the audio book version.  John Slattery(Roger from Mad Med) does the narration.  It's the best audio book that I have ever heard.
    DaveyMac
  • ClaretoClareto New Zealand
    First episode is up on Hulu!
  • I read the book back in 2011, and have been looking forward to this show since I first heard about it. Watched the first episode this afternoon, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Impressed by quality, acting, and how quickly I was hooked. Could become one of the better screen adaptations of King's work - but I won't be making that call until I see a few more episodes. Highly recommend it!
    Elisa
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    They should have put the whole season up today--I was going to marathon the entire thing on my extra Monday day off but Hulu ruined it!
    Travis
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    If you haven't read The Stand and you're a King fan you're doing yourself a disservice. It's one of my favorites of his.
    DummyFrakkin TElisaelgat0
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Cecily said:

If you haven't read The Stand and you're a King fan you're doing yourself a disservice. It's one of my favorites of his.

Ya know, maybe it was how much The Stand got hyped for me, but it really didn't do a whole lot on my end. I think it was very well-written, I sort of just didn't care about it as much as some of King's other work. I was MUCH more interested in the breakdown of society as the plague broke out than what happened thereafter.

But enough people adore this book that I am probably just wrong in this case. Have you read the unabridged? I hear it gets unnecessarily wordy and long. I've always found the best King is when he has a strong editor at the helm.
    CecilyDee
  • I am a huge King fan and I never really cared much for the Stand. I think he does coming of age stories better than he does apocalyptic ones. IT and Wizard and Glass are by far his best books, in my opinion.
    ElisaDee
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    edited February 2016
    Remind me why it’s so important to save Kennedy? 

And every time you go back to the past, it’s the same instant, and everything’s the same? Except the things changed by previous visits? OK, my head is hurting. 
  • ClaretoClareto New Zealand
    edited February 2016

Remind me why it’s so important to save Kennedy? 

And every time you go back to the past, it’s the same instant, and everything’s the same? Except the things changed by previous visits? OK, my head is hurting. 

From what I understood, if you go back in the past and change things, then the world will be different when you return to the present based on what you did in the past. But if you go back again, then the world kinda resets itself and the past and present go back to what they were before your first trip. 

That probably doesn't make sense... lol

So going by that rule, when/if James Franco comes back to the present, that JFK that he wrote into the tree should be gone because he did that on his first trip, and by returning to the past it resets everything he did the first time.
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    @Clareto, I think that makes about as much sense as we’re going to get. 

But is it all about saving JFK just because it’s a good thing to do? So far it seems like there are going to be many random deaths in the course of attempting to save one person. 

It doesn’t seem worth it, although I imagine we’ll get a clearer answer (or were already given one which I missed).
  • @manhattnik As far as I remember from the book, it's just that the diner dude thought Kennedy was a great president and if he had lived for his full term presidency & possibly got reelected, then the US would be much better off today, because of what Kennedy would have done. I think there are a few specifics mentioned in the book, haven't seen the show yet so I don't know how much they actually put in.
    [Deleted User]
This discussion has been closed.