Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

Comments

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    @aberry89 There's a great broadcast of Opie and Anthony with Louis CK in which Ron Pearlman stops in. CK starts talking about The Island of Dr. Moreau and says something to the effect of "that movie was so weird; after a while it felt like you were just hanging out on that island." Pearlman immediately replied "you're telling me, it was supposed to be a 3 week shoot and ended up lasting 5 months."
    kojiattwoodWolfydog
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Just watched 10 Cloverfield Lane and was pretty disappointed. John Goodman was fantastic but that was probably the only enjoyable part of that movie. I might be missing something but both Cloverfield movies have been lame in my eyes.
    Frakkin T
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Hatorian said:

Just watched 10 Cloverfield Lane and was pretty disappointed. John Goodman was fantastic but that was probably the only enjoyable part of that movie. I might be missing something but both Cloverfield movies have been lame in my eyes.

Funny I saw it last night too and loved it; it was a great exercise in suspense and tension building. Wife and I watched the 1st one last weekend because she wanted to see it and it still holds up just as well. I guess it's a love-it-or-hate-it franchise. 
    Hatorian
    @Frakkin T i definitely can understand why people like them. But just not for me.
    Frakkin T
  • @Freddy I agree on Tangerine. Good flick. And I can't believe it was all shot on iphones. It looks so good. 

• Outside of just seeing CA: Civil War (which I thought was pretty good; though I did not feel the same excitement as people who reviewed it did), I saw The Dark Knight Returns Pt II.  On second watch I still love it.  I think it is better than part 1 (I found the mutants to be more annoying than funny). The Joker scenes were excellent and the final fight with Spiderman was awesome.  I also like the premise of the conflict better here than in BvS.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    @mileswarrin Batman fought Spider-Man!? Holy shit! I need to see this cartoon!
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Random watch of Pain and Gain on a recent road trip. I gotta say, this movie was surprisingly good and actually pretty funny. I like to think it was intentional. Not sure if I should feel bad for saying that. But just the unbelievability (is that a word?) of this movie is unbelievable lol. If that makes sense. So much of this was actually true that it was mind boggling. Anyways I would highly recommend this for just a fun watch. The Rock is great but Mark Walberg is actually pretty funny as well. Even Mackie has some good parts.
    BourbonQueen
    Went through a few movies this weekend.

The Witch: hated it. Wasn't scary at all and the ending was just bad.

Terminator Genesis: pretty bad. They really should have stuck with the practical effects and awesome chase scenes that made T2 so enjoyable. Plus the story just keeps getting more and more complicated to make up for new movies.

Role Models: oldey but goody. Seen this ages ago but really enjoy it.

Travis
    Also caught Street Fighter on Cinemax and always remembered fondly of it during my childhood but my god it's bad. The funniest part as to be Jean CLaude speaking in his French accent with an American flag on his arm. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
  • Just watched Jurassic World and holy hell is it stupid. Did this movie make a billion dollars as a joke?
  • My wife and I have been getting into the idea of catching up on some old and new movies and knocked out a few last week:

Creed was really, really good if you're into the whole Rocky thing. The fight scenes were really intense and all of the sentiment landed nicely. Great flick. I really enjoyed it.

Coming to America: I hadn't watched it since I was a kid and my wife had never seen it. Holds up great. Awesome flick. I miss old days Eddie.

Victor Frankenstein: Got off to such a great start. We were both totally into it but the ending is a complete disaster. I kind of still recommend it because the first 2/3s or so were so good, but man does it shit the bed at the climax.

The Big Short - I fucking loved it! Granted, wonky finance shit interests me and I thought their presentation was clever and amusing and I could totally see how people would hate this flick but I thought it was entertaining as hell and I'm really glad they made it from a message/awareness standpoint. I had a blast watching it. I really want to check out the book once a little time passes and the movie isn't so present in my mind.

Big Short was a top 3 2015 movie for me. Loved it.
    TravisBourbonQueen
  • Norwegian thriller Headhunters. Seemed fairly pedestrian about halfway through, but gets pretty fun and crazy by the end. 
    Travis
  • Yeah I agree on Headhunters. I had no idea what it was about going in, and thought the exact same thing as you.
    Travis
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Finally watched "Magnolia" after all these years of hearing how great it is. Good God, what a depressing flick. Also, that score was brutal. Felt like a 3 hour anxiety attack.
    Travis
  • Tom Cruise has never been, nor will he ever be better than he was in Magnolia. Christ he nailed that character. I need to watch that one again one of these days when the right mood hits.

Also reminds me (probably the Phillip Seymore Hoffman connection) I need to do the State and Main thing again one of these days. That movie is charming as hell.

DummyMichelle
    Freddy said:

Finally watched "Magnolia" after all these years of hearing how great it is. Good God, what a depressing flick. Also, that score was brutal. Felt like a 3 hour anxiety attack.

I've yet to see that one! Thanks for reminding me, I keep meaning to sit down and watch that.
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I'm an unashamed Tom Cruise fan. The man himself might be a bit nuts, but I don't think I have seen a movie that he has been in that I didn't find at least entertaining.
    ghm3TaraC73Underwood
  • I may not be a "fan" but I'm certainly not anti-Cruise in the least. He's really good. It's just that he is ridiculously good in Magnolia. He totally crushed that role.
  • Has anyone seen Spotlight, damn that was excellent!!!! What I loved about it was the restraint displayed by both the filmmakers and the actors. The subject matter already lends itself to a certain degree of gravitas, which the the movie allows to stand on its own with no visual or dramatic flair.
    ryanfoster
  • Luke said:

I'm an unashamed Tom Cruise fan. The man himself might be a bit nuts, but I don't think I have seen a movie that he has been in that I didn't find at least entertaining.

@Luke Yeah I totally agree. He may well be a zany Scientologist and all but he clearly loves and is adept at his craft and earned his fame IMO. 
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    edited May 2016
    I spent the weekend watching a few movies I've been procrastinating on: Lobster, Under The Skin, The Invitation and Coherence.

They were all very good. I'd recommend them all, but Coherence was something up. I don't want to get into any detail and spoil any of the plot, but if you like quantum physics and alternate universes watch this movie.

Super small budget. Not very well known actors. A lot of the dialogue is improvised. It just all combines to make so much out of such a tiny setting and small cast of characters.

I'm tempted to watch again and I just watched it a couple hours ago.
    I watched a weird Netflix movie this weekend titled "Look Who's Back" it's a German (English subs) dark comedy about Hitler somehow being transported to 2014 and being mistaken for a comedic inpersonator when in reality it's really him. Not really sure how to describe it. Definitely one of those movies you'd only see on Netflix...
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited May 2016
    Hatorian said:

I watched a weird Netflix movie this weekend titled "Look Who's Back" it's a German (English subs) dark comedy about Hitler somehow being transported to 2014 and being mistaken for a comedic inpersonator when in reality it's really him. Not really sure how to describe it. Definitely one of those movies you'd only see on Netflix...

I went to see "Hail, Caesar!" yesterday as it was just released over here and they featured the trailer for "Look Who's Back" so that will be getting a theatrical release over here. It looks quite bizarre.
    edited May 2016
    DaveyMac said:

Hatorian said:

I went to see "Hail, Caesar!" yesterday as it was just released over here and they featured the trailer for "Look Who's Back" so that will be getting a theatrical release over here. It looks quite bizarre.
    It definitely is bizzare and actually has some interesting commentary on media, politics, immigration and the refuge crisis.
    DaveyMac[Deleted User]
    I am dying to see The Lobster. It looks fantastic.
    DaveyMac
  • @Garthgou81 have you seen any of his other work? "Dogtooth" was a real trip of film. Very disturbing. I didn't see "Alps", but I heard that was interesting. "The Lobster" is definitely high in my queue.
    I've heard of Dogtooth and watched the trailer the other day. It definitely looks disturbing. I've never heard of Alps, but I will seek it out now.
  • edited May 2016
    I saw the new Fantastic Four.  This may sound contrarian, but I don't think it should be one of the lowest rated movies of 2015.  The plot mechanism that creates the Fantastic Four is historically ridiculous and casting younger versions of the characters didn't help.  But I enjoyed it as average sci-fi.  It's not aggressively bad... it's just a nothing movie with a few stand out scenes.

Doctor Doom exploding heads like a Scanner while the FF assembled was really cool.  It was shot and edited like the Terminator police station shoot out.  I feel that's more the type of movie Trank wanted to make, but couldn't.