Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

Comments

• WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    GredalBee said:

I saw the new Fantastic Four.  This may sound contrarian, but I don't think it should be one of the lowest rated movies of 2015.  The plot mechanism that creates the Fantastic Four is historically ridiculous and casting younger versions of the characters didn't help.  But I enjoyed it as average sci-fi.  It's not aggressively bad... it's just a nothing movie with a few stand out scenes.

Doctor Doom exploding heads like a Scanner while the FF assembled was really cool.  It was shot and edited like the Terminator police station shoot out.  I feel that's more the type of movie Trank wanted to make, but couldn't.

It was decent. I agree with you that it was definetely not the worst of last year. Anyone who says that never saw Jupiter Ascending or Aloha. Man those were terrible. 
  • I watched Juno last movie and really enjoyed it.  One of the few movies I've seen with Ellen Page and off the top is my favorite performance from her, though my favorite scene is when her stepmom set the technician straight after her comment in the ultrasound.
    SheIsGeeky[Deleted User]
  • adobo1148 said:

Has anyone seen Spotlight, damn that was excellent!!!! What I loved about it was the restraint displayed by both the filmmakers and the actors. The subject matter already lends itself to a certain degree of gravitas, which the the movie allows to stand on its own with no visual or dramatic flair.

Loved the movie. Fantastic writing and acting. The scenes with the leads interviewing victims were just haunting.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Last two films I saw in theatres were The Nice Guys and Captain American: Civil War

Nice Guys was a free advance screening @ Alamo, and I didn't go in expecting much. It was surprisingly quite funny, so much more so than I would have thought. I think it will do quite well on blu-ray/streaming/HBO in it's future when people see it.

Civil War was fairly awesome. A better Avengers film than the actual 2nd Avengers film. Spider-Man stole the movie and Black Panther was as cool as a hero I know zero about could be.
  • BourbonQueenBourbonQueen Dallas, TX
    @ksa1001 - was that at Alamo in Richardson?  I didn't think think that one did free advance screenings!
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX

@ksa1001 - was that at Alamo in Richardson?  I didn't think think that one did free advance screenings!

It was, and they do.

I've seen two so far there Nice Guys and The Gift last year. I'm a victory member and get emails when they are announced. I JUST missed out on the one for Green Room earlier this year, didn't see the email until hours later.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I finally got around to 10 Cloverfield Lane. I thought it was a great, gripping thriller. I can understand the folks that dislike the end of the flick. I dug the hell out of it though.
  • Saw Nice Guys at the Alamo screening at the Dallas location. I agree. It was incredibly funny. Very enjoyable.
    ksa1001
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    edited May 2016

I finally got around to 10 Cloverfield Lane. I thought it was a great, gripping thriller. I can understand the folks that dislike the end of the flick. I dug the hell out of it though.

I hated the ending, man. Movie did a total 180 on me. Some of it felt a bit cheesy to me. I get why such a shift would work for some people.

Still liked the movie. John Goodman killed it.

Lobster has some elements of that. The setting changes pretty drastically at times. Really odd movie. The fact that they sold me on of this odd universe and I wasn't sitting around thinking how ridiculous it was is a feat in itself.
    George said:

I hated the ending, man. Movie did a total 180 on me. Some of it felt a bit cheesy to me. I get why such a shift would work for some people.

Still liked the movie. John Goodman killed it.

Lobster has some elements of that. The setting changes pretty drastically at times. Really odd movie. The fact that they sold me on of this odd universe and I wasn't sitting around thinking how ridiculous it was is a feat in itself.

I can't fault you at all. As soon as it made the switch-up, I knew people would hate it and I completely understand why. There is a part of me that really dislikes it as well. But I keep thinking about it and want to know more about that world, so that intrigue is enough to score it as a win. I did some reading on it and apparently it was a different script originally called The Cellar before Abrams and co. got involved. The first ending for the movie is out there if you do some googling. Its interesting. Agreed on Goodman.

I can't wait to get around to The Lobster. It doesn't seem like it is playing around here though, so I may have to AppleTV it eventually.
  • just watched "The Stanford Prison Experiment". I read about the experiment a few years back and happened to see the movie on demand tonight so watched it. The movie is pretty good but the subject matter is super intriguing. Basically some professor wanted to do a social experiment about individuals and institutions and the results were pretty shocking. I think the movie does suffer a bit from the low budget it obviously has but had me interested none-the-less. 

further info on the actual experiment below. 

I saw The Nice Guys last night. It was fantastic. Very funny and briskly paced. I've heard some people had a hard time following the plot. It does move very quickly, but I managed to keep up. Crowe & Gosling have great chemistry. Just an all around great time for folks who like neo-noir, crime-comedies.
  • We finally caught Deadpool and Winter Soldier over the weekend. Both were really great. Deadpool was one of the funnest movies of recent memory. They knocked it out of the park. I also dug Winter Soldier quite a bit. Different than I was expecting. The sort of conspiratorial angle worked really well in the super hero movie scope. I enjoyed it a lot.

We also caught Joy, which I would give a B. Solid flick. Good performances, but it fell a little below expectations (which were fairly high to be fair). I'm not sure how I would have felt if it had been any longer, but the whole thing felt a little rushed to me. Maybe it was poor time allocation to the various plot points, or something like that. My wife felt like it was a little cheesy, and while I'm not sure that I agree I'm not certain that I disagree either. I thought it was fine, but either way I did think it was going to be better.

• TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    edited June 2016
    i watched Jaws all day Monday. My all time #1 favorite movie. If it's on anywhere on dish network, 99% of the time I'm watching. I often put in the blue ray and background watch/listen.

If you haven't seen Jaws, I recommend it. Highly. It is the quintessential summertime movie (that's kick ass year round) ❤️
    TravisFrakkin T
    I wasn't old enough to see Jaws in theaters when it came out, but caught it replaying on the big screen in Boston a number of years back. What a totally new experience. I'd always loved it before and watched it countless times, but watching it on a large screen really changes the entire thing. The massiveness of the shark is utterly terrifying, with the sound booming around you. Just a really perfectly-made movie in my opinion. It has heart, spectacle, comedy, a simple-yet-gripping plot. Its cliche to just say something is a classic, but Jaws fits that description.
    TaraC73
    I saw The Lobster earlier today. After hearing how great it was, I have to say I walked away pretty unimpressed. It may have just been a bit too abstract, oblique, and absurd for me. But it didn't do anything for me at all. Its too bad, I really liked the premise and the trailer. But I had to have checked my watched 15 or 16 times. Maybe I am just missing out on some integral pieces, and I certainly want to read up on some analysis of the thing, but I was mostly bored out of my heard.
  • HollyoakHollyoak Baltimore
    Funny, Garthgou81, I saw this post and immediately knew what movie I wanted to mention. As soon as I clicked on the thread you beat me to it.

The Witch, and it scared the hell out of me.

My wife and I watched it on iTunes, and used subtitles. There is a lot to miss, I would imagine, in the theater, as a lot of the dialogue is softly spoken.

I think it is a study in restraint and suspense. That ending ...

My wife and I used to go to films all the time. It was the first thing that brought us together twenty years ago. A few years ago we pretty much stopped going, and now just watch stuff at home. I do pay for the Big Spectacle and superhero movies though in IMAX. You can't beat that. But, all the small indy films and usual Hollywood fare we just catch on Netflix or we pay through iTunes on my Apple TV.

I have no patience for talkers and flashing phone screens. It is truly disgusting and it makes me want to say rude things to people.
    Thanks, Garthgou81, for posting that trailer. Looks amazing, and I will definitely check it out.
    Turner, by Mike Leigh. Great film on the English painter. Mike Leigh is a great filmmaker if you are looking for serious and intellectually stimulating movies.

The Witch--terrifying.

Carol, by Todd Haynes. Great director. Based on the Patricia Highsmith novel. She wrote the Ripley books and Strangers on a Train. Film was not bad. Thought it would be better. Mara Rooney and Cate Blanchett love story in the '50s.

Mr. Holmes, starring Gandalf. I mean Ian McKellen. It's a fictitious story about the writer of Sherlock Holmes in his waning years.

Those are a few I can recall.

I wasn't old enough to see Jaws in theaters when it came out, but caught it replaying on the big screen in Boston a number of years back. What a totally new experience. I'd always loved it before and watched it countless times, but watching it on a large screen really changes the entire thing. The massiveness of the shark is utterly terrifying, with the sound booming around you. Just a really perfectly-made movie in my opinion. It has heart, spectacle, comedy, a simple-yet-gripping plot. Its cliche to just say something is a classic, but Jaws fits that description.

I saw it for the first time on the big screen two summers ago for the anniversary re-release. I was like a kid in a candy shoppe wearing a big huge grin on my face the whole damn time... Everything you explained times a thousand. And you're right - Jaws is a classic. From the acting to the music to the storyline - A to Z perfection.
    @TaraC73 ; Not sure if you've ever seen this...but I think it should be your next step in watching Jaws :-)

@TaraC73 ; Not sure if you've ever seen this...but I think it should be your next step in watching Jaws :-)

That. Is. AWESOME!!!!! Omg. Sign me the hell up!!!

• Last movie I watched was The Lobster. It was interesting, thought-provoking and effectively executed. My main complaint is a fault of my own expectations. I expected dark humor and there was both darkness and humor, but they often existed separately. It was darker than I expected with less humor than the previews led me to believe. It was also a tad too long.
    edited June 2016
    I have never heard of this movie the lobster - I must see a trailer...

Edited - I just watched it and it looks pretty interesting. I'll have to add it to my list!
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Watched Deep Blue Sea. It seemed deliberate.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Has anyone checked out "Look Who's Back" on netlfix yet??

I was expecting something kinda stupid, like a Borat type movie...it slowly ramps to this incredible meta narrative that blurs the lines between documentary filmmaking and fiction. It maybe lands a bit too on the nose at the end, but I still think it's pretty damn incredible. It also could not have come out at a more opportune time, for both Europe and America. Did anyone outside of Germany here about this while they were filming, because I sure didn't.  
  • The Witch may be a personal contender for one of the greatest horror films I've ever seen. This may be total personal preference though. I just adored the atmosphere so completely. It immerses you in that world to such a degree that later in the film when someone says the word "delicious" (those who've seen it know what I'm referring to), it was almost mouth-watering with respect to the bleakness that permeates the rest of the movie. Somehow they made "delicious" seem like a completely alien concept and made it wholly tempting at the same time. Such great direction.

I have to check out The Lobster. If anyone is interested that director's (Yorgos Lanthimos) other film Dogtooth is absolutely incredible and a definite must-watch for film lovers in my opinion. 

Also, if anyone hasn't seen Green Room I'd recommend that one as well as Blue Ruin, director Jeremy Saulnier's first film. It's been cool discovering new-ish directors lately who actually have a distinctive cinematic voice. Definitely check out Saulnier, Ben Wheatley (A Field in England, Kill List, High Rise) and Robert Eggers (The Witch) to get aboard those trains early!

Also hi everyone I'm new here...
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Wasn't the biggest fan of The Witch. Thought it was good but not absolutely amazing or terrifying which seems to be the general consensus. Saw it in theaters and fell asleep. Got it from Redbox this past weekend and stayed up but still felt the same. I thought the atmosphere and the music was great but just idk I wasn't scared. I know that's not what this movie was going for but still, it's something I need to really love a horror flick. I'd definetely recommend it simply because of the lack of horror films in general. 
    Anyways, I happened to come across Tupac Resurrection from a yard sale yesterday and I gotta say, this was a hell of a documentary. As a fan of documentaries, this is a great one. Being a native of LA I thought I knew all there was to know about him. I was wrong. Despite what the media portrayed him to be, or even how he portrayed himself, the love he had for his fans and people in general was unbelievable. I truly believe he was ahead of his time and like to think he'd be making a huge difference in the world if he were still around today. He was a man of the people.
    HatorianGeorge
    edited June 2016

The Witch may be a personal contender for one of the greatest horror films I've ever seen. This may be total personal preference though. I just adored the atmosphere so completely. It immerses you in that world to such a degree that later in the film when someone says the word "delicious" (those who've seen it know what I'm referring to), it was almost mouth-watering with respect to the bleakness that permeates the rest of the movie. Somehow they made "delicious" seem like a completely alien concept and made it wholly tempting at the same time. Such great direction.

Also hi everyone I'm new here...
    Welcome to the board! Also couldn't agree more with The Witch. Its best horror I've seen in a while...or at least the one with the most atmosphere. And the part you mentioned makes me shudder...so amazing.
    BaeltheBard87
  • @Garthgou81 Thanks! 

And @WonderedObject, to your point, I can totally see someone almost disqualifying it as an out-and-out "horror" film for sure. Like you said, I don't think the director was going for the textbook definition of cinematic horror. It's almost like an atmospheric, psychological exercise.
    WonderedObject