Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

Comments

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    edited June 2016
    I liked The Witch as a well done horror movie but the entire time I felt like it was missing the point. The scary part of witch hunting isn't that there are actual witches, it's about the horror of man, man. It felt weird to watch a movie where the premise is what if those people who burned people alive for awful reasons were right.
    WonderedObject
  • Finally, finally, *finally* saw The Witch! And it didn't disappoint. Loved the creepy atmosphere and the dialog. Very, very creepy movie - especially the twins.
    I agree with Bizmarkiefader that it was weird that there really were witches. I think the movie would have been just as effective, maybe even more so, had it all been superstition.
  • Just saw Warcraft and really enjoyed it.
    The story doesn't make as compelling a movie as say the Lord of the Rings films, to compare it to something from the same genre. But it was still quite entertaining. Definitely a must see if you have ever enjoyed playing any of the Warcraft games as it had a bunch of nods to gameplay.
  • Snatch (2000) is a hilarious movie. It's possible that the British accents increases the humor (as well as Pitt's {& gypsies'} ridiculous gibberish language.
  • I just finished watching the Prestige. I am not much for magic really but the hatred between the two men was interesting. It's a typical Nolan film so if you are interested or a fan, it's something to check out. It is quite intriguing.

I also watched Children of the Corn (1984). I shouldn't think it would hold up in 2016. Horror usually does not but I would be curious how someone would recreate this movie.
  • I just watched both of the Cloverfield movies over the weekend and enjoyed them both. A couple thoughts on each film:

I cannot imagine how anyone could watch Cloverfield in the theater. Just watching it at home made me sick. I actually had to lie down afterwards. That being said, I actually enjoyed the movie considering how sick the shooting style made me.

I thought 10 Cloverfield Lane was fantastic and the better of the two. I've always been a fan of John Goodman so I may be a little biased but his performance was incredible. I was going back and forth during the whole movie about what was going on. Not gonna spoil here but I thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend.
  • I saw Warcraft and was very happy to be surprised at how good it was.

I seriously enjoyed it!
    ryanfoster
  • Jesus, I am watching Orphan and it is pretty disturbing. I am use to seeing children being monsters in horror movies but this one takes the cake. I would not classify it as true horror like the Ring or Ju-on but maybe like the Good Son. Pretty fucked up what this child is about.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited June 2016
    Oh yeah, Orphan is really chilling. I love the nuance they give the characters by making Vera's character an alcoholic trying to stay clean. It struck me as an interesting choice.

Speaking of horror, I rented Clown by Jon Watts and watched that last night. Now first of all, Jon Watts has only done two movies, this being the first which is a body horror movie about a dad who puts on a clown costume for his kid's birthday and then well...things go pretty wrong pretty quickly. He then directed a small indy flick called Cop Car with Kevin Bacon about two kids who find a cop car and take it for a joy ride unknowingly stepping in a heap of trouble. Next up you may ask? Spider-man. Disney grabbed this dude to make Spider-Man: Homecoming for his third movie. He is an incredibly competant, confident director.

Now Clown is a really cool body horror/creature feature. Its nothing thats going to blow your hair back, but its very well done and moves at a crazy fast pace...like within 3 minutes the inciting incident has happened and it just goes from there. Again its nothing that is going to surprise anyone. Except the make-up and effects in the last quarter are to be commended. They are just amazing for a small flick like this. Anyway, give it a whirl if that is your speed!
    mileswarrin
  • edited June 2016
    Saw Zootopia a bit ago. I thought Jason Bateman sounded a bit too... Jason Batemany, took me out of it a little bit, but the bunny cop was just right.

The sloth DMV scene had me giggling like an idiot, it's a real testament when you kinda roll your eyes going into a scene because theyre doing something so overdone and played out but is still hysterical and IMO easily the best scene in the movie.
    ksa1001
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited June 2016
    Just watched Everest. We also had the first all Singaporean female team to climb Everest speak at one of my work conferences last month. Really amazing what Human will and drive is capable of. The movie itself was pretty good and intense. Couldn't imagine what it would take to climb that beast. The movie seems to be pretty accurate compared to the story we were told by those who really did. Multiple climbs, insane treks over ladders, etc. Really makes you appreciate the bad asses who have attempted such a feat. 
    Freddy
  • I liked Blue Ruin very much so I had high hopes for Green Room, and holy hell did it live up to them, that was the most suspenseful movie I've seen in ages.
    DaveyMacksa1001GredalBee
  • Just saw Free State of Jones. The story was a little too convoluted. They tried to do a few too many things for one movie. But the directing and cinematography and attention to detail were great. Very interesting piece of history not often taught in schools.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited July 2016
    Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie. Was always a huge fan of the show but the movie fell completely flat for me. 

Bit of a shameless plug but I actually run a film review site, so if you are interested in movies or about what my detailed thoughts on Ab Fab were, please check it out! https://ohthatfilmblog.com
    [Deleted User]
  • I just watched the Big Short myself. It was like the third medium in which I'd seen that story and it still boggles my mind. I thought Adam McKay & Co. did a good job balancing humor with seriousness and I liked the 4th wall-breaking.
    Travismostlywright
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    I just saw two great suspenseful flicks over the long weekend.

Hush [on netflix] and Green Room

Holy crap do these films keep you engaged.

Brutal too, I'd highly recommend both

I finally got around to seeing Spike Jonze's Her the other day. I thought it was a tad on the predictable side. Since it is essentially a romance with an AI component thrown in, I thought it was pretty easy to see where things were going. How it was shot and how they got there was very entertaining. And, since it is a Spike Jonze joint, incredibly heartbreaking at times. That guy is just able to write stories which tear the heart to shreds. And with him directing too? Forget about it. Great flick. Everyone involved brings their A-game.
    ksa1001
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    edited July 2016

I finally got around to seeing Spike Jonze's Her the other day. I thought it was a tad on the predictable side. Since it is essentially a romance with an AI component thrown in, I thought it was pretty easy to see where things were going. How it was shot and how they got there was very entertaining. And, since it is a Spike Jonze joint, incredibly heartbreaking at times. That guy is just able to write stories which tear the heart to shreds. And with him directing too? Forget about it. Great flick. Everyone involved brings their A-game.

LOVED that one. That was my favorite movie of that Oscar season. I'm not sure I was trying to predict anything per se, but I was amazed at how much of a fleshed out performace they were able to get from a voice over/actor.
    ksa1001 said:

LOVED that one. That was my favorite movie of that Oscar season. I'm not sure I was trying to predict anything per se, but I was amazed at how much of a fleshed out performace they were able to get from a voice over/actor.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I wasn't really predicting anything either. Just in retrospect it isn't a very surprising movie. It is one of those movies I just kind of let wash over me and enjoyed the experience. It wasn't plot-heavy and instead really focused on the characters and relationships which I found refreshing. And yeah, not enough can be said about ScarJo's voice acting in this movie.
  • @trippy Yeah, it's funny. Each time I hear the story, I think I totally get it and then I try to explain it or talk about it and end up confusing myself. 

I just heard an interview with Adam McKay and he was talking about the stuff with Selena Gomez, Anthony Bourdain, etc. was playing with the idea that so many people expend energy following celebrities and pop culture often without getting any information that we actually need and he thought it would it be interesting to put Margot Robbie in a hot tub with champagne but actually give us information that everyone should know. And because it's Margo Robbie in a bath, we are going to pay attention.
    Travis
  • I watched several movies recently.

I thought Cloverfield (2008) was okay. It was interesting the choice to use camcorder first person view in a disaster movie. I went in not knowing the premise of the movie so when the shift occurred, it threw me way off. It felt kind of terrifying seeing a cloud of rumble and dust start to converge upon the people.

Skin (2004) is about a girl/woman living in 1960 apartheid South Africa. Both of her parents were white, yet she was born with darker skin and what that entails in the time and region they live in. This movie was good not great, mostly because I was more interested in the main actress as a young girl than when she is grown up. The conflict between her parents and her parents with the government/school is very interesting (and quite sad). It was based on a true story so I think it is worth a look.

Batman Begins was good as well. I thought the Scarecrow was kind of underutilized though it made sense considering who the main baddie was. The quick cuts (& shaky cam) during the fighting scenes really sucks ten years later (I wonder if it was a big issue when 1st released). I also got a kick from seeing Joffrey Baratheon on scene.

Shutter Island I enjoyed a lot. Rewatching it, it was more straight forward than I previously thought. I may have enjoyed it more if it were more ambiguous The acting was great. The fact that everyone played along with the ruse is quite interesting. Am I to believe the woman in the cave was a figment of his imagination? Allowing himself to go through what he chooses at the end, seems like a cop out but I don't know why Rufalo's character would necessarily be surprised though.
    edited July 2016

Batman Begins was good as well. I thought the Scarecrow was kind of underutilized though it made sense considering who the main baddie was. The quick cuts (& shaky cam) during the fighting scenes really sucks ten years later (I wonder if it was a big issue when 1st released). I also got a kick from seeing Joffrey Baratheon on scene.

Shutter Island I enjoyed a lot. Rewatching it, it was more straight forward than I previously thought. I may have enjoyed it more if it were more ambiguous The acting was great. The fact that everyone played along with the ruse is quite interesting.

Re: Batman Begins...I saw it on opening night, and the shaky-cam was definitely an issue even back then. Most everyone realized that Nolan had concocted a near-perfect superhero movie (at the time), but almost everyone also agreed that his fighting scenes were beyond confusing to watch. The shakiness was awful and you easily lost track of everything that was going on.

Re: Shutter Island (SPOILERS): Yeah, I always thought it was funny they let him run around the island doing this investigation and such. Like parents watching a kid at play. And even going so far as to let him have a fake weapon (if memory serves). I find that endlessly funny for some reason.
    Ghostbusters, love love loved it. Although I will admit that being hopelessly in love with Kate McKinnon probably made me biased!

Wrote a full review on my site of anyone is interested! https://ohthatfilmblog.com/2016/07/14/ghostbusters-2016/
    TaraC73
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Hubs and I watched The Hangover Friday night, and Hangover 2 last night. We both agree the second one is a lot funnier, but both are knee slapping hilarious. I can't get enough of Alan (Zach Galafanakis - butchered spelling) he's so inappropriate it's awesome... He's me when I'm drunk. Stu and Phil are awesome; they are me and my bestie for sure. I'm the better looking leader (Phil) and she's the successful, kind of dorky dentist (Stu) ;)

If you're looking for mindless, hilarious entertainment you can't go wrong with either Hangover flick! If you want to get blindingly rip roaring drunk, play a Hangover drinking game LOL!!

http://www.drunkmoviezone.com/drinking-games/the-hangover/

(Don't bother with Hangover 3: it is a steaming pile of cow manure!)

• TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    amyja89 said:

Ghostbusters, love love loved it. Although I will admit that being hopelessly in love with Kate McKinnon probably made me biased!

Wrote a full review on my site of anyone is interested! https://ohthatfilmblog.com/2016/07/14/ghostbusters-2016/
    I am taking my almost 10 year old daughter to see ghostbusters soon (kind of hard to make a date with her and not include the 4 year old so we're figuring one night next week) she is SUPER excited to see this and she is not my ghostbusters freak child - my oldest is (he knows it by heart) She's watched the original a few times but can take it or leave it. But, GB2016's all girl cast is intriguing to her. She's all about "girls can do anything boys can but better" and LOVES hearing/reading the haters rip on this "only because it's an all girls ghostbusters"... Also she's a huge melissa McCarthy fan. I may or may not have allowed her to watch the movie with Sandra Bullock a few times (the name escapes me) and she thinks MM is the funniest female in Hollywood - and she's not wrong!

I am going to have her read your review when she gets home from camp later today :)
    amyja89
    TaraC73 said:

amyja89 said:

I am going to have her read your review when she gets home from camp later today :)

Oh wow, that's the highest form of compliment I can think of, thanks!

I'm sure you and your daughter will have an absolute blast.
  • BB2KBB2K Adelaide, South Australia
    Just saw Swiss Army Man. I wasn't expecting too much but it really blew me away, was decently funny, fun to watch, and surprisingly touching. I'd totally recommend it.
    BB2K said:

Just saw Swiss Army Man. I wasn't expecting too much but it really blew me away, was decently funny, fun to watch, and surprisingly touching. I'd totally recommend it.
    Really? Thats great to hear. i was very curious about this one. It was only in theaters over here for like 3 days. But I will have to catch it once it hits digital. It looked very unique, but seems to have people split on whether it is actually good or not. Those kinds of movies (and I can think of others like, The Fountain for example) I usually find incredibly interesting.
  • BB2KBB2K Adelaide, South Australia
    Yeah, I can see why some people wouldn't like it, but at the very least it's super unique, it's really like no other movie i've seen.
  • Just saw the Infiltrator. Breaking Bad meets Narcos as Bryan Cranston plays the undercover agent infiltrating Pablo Escobar's Medellin cartel. Very strong acting and it's hard to go wrong with such great material to work with. But it didn't blow me away either. Just solid.