Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

Comments

• edited April 2020
    My sister wanted to watch that old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie with her girls.  I was probably their age when it came out and changed my stupid little life (lol) but I haven't seen it since I was a kid.  

What a weird artifact of the early 90's that movie is.  Much harder-edged than comic-book movies today.  It's like "Death Wish for kids" the way they depict crime in New York.  Little kids smoking cigars and stealing vcrs. It's a dumb movie, for sure, but there's some charm to it, with the Henson costumes holding up better than CGI does, the voice actors really doing a lot for the characters, and a couple of flashback sequences that are actually pretty artistically directed.  Fun fact that had to be pointed out to me: a young Sam Rockwell is in this movie as the leader of the street punks.
    ChinaskiHatorian
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Klute - Director Alan Pakula considers this the first of his mystery/thriller trilogy that also included Parallax View and All The Presidents Men. The thriller/mystery aspect doesn't hold up but the acting by Jane Fonda (won the Oscar) and Donald Sutherland are top notch.

Too Funny To Fail - Documentary on Hulu about The Dana Carvey Show. When you see the murderer's row of comics and writers involved with that show (Carvey, Smigel, Carrell, Colbert, Louis CK, etc) you won't understand how it didn't last more than a season. Very good Doc that is funny and is very illuminating.
  • I don't know why I am on such a movie kick lately but I am catching up on "movies I should have definitely seen by now." I watched Annihilation last night. This one has been on my list for a long time and I really don't know why I had not seen it yet. I loved it. Super inventive with what the world inside The Shimmer looks and feels like. Keeping this spoiler free, if you look at my name, you can probably guess which scene in particular I liked. Creepy as hell!

It's on Amazon Prime if you somehow had not seen it yet.
    Yes, this movie was so damn amazing and is another one I randomly decided to watch because the guys did a podcast covering it. So glad they did because I feel like this movie kind of flew under the radar. That scene near the end just left me in a trance of "what the fuck did I just watch." I got like a dozen friends to end up watching because of how much I pushed it on them and every single one came back with that was amazing but what the fuck with the ending.
    JaimieTMurderbear
  • JaimieT said:
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

This is the best movie of all time, FIGHT ME. I feel so lucky to have had this movie hit at such a formative time for me, when I was in high school. I was irradiated in perfection.

I don't know why the story is about Frodo when Boromir is far and away the best character, but anyway...

This movie is so good at visual storytelling. I'm watching it with my 80-something grandmother and this is her 2nd time seeing it. She insists she didn't see the whole thing the first time (4-5 years ago), but I think she did. I kept wondering if she was catching everything, since the dialogue is somewhat muttered and there are so many lore drops to confuse your already tenuous grasp on what people are saying. But I realized how much of the heart of the story is conveyed through not the dialogue. Fucking amazing writing & editing.

Two Towers tonight!
    I think you're just a few years older than me and I was obsessed with the Lord of the Rings movies when they came out. I saw all of them several times in theaters and have done several rewatched and all of those movies hold up extremely well. I might need to do a rewatch again soon.  
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    The Death of Stalin - Just great, hilarious satire from the guy who created Veep. 
    Chinaski
  • edited April 2020
    Little Forest

This was like a big warm hug. Remember hugs? This whole movie is about a young woman who returns home from Seoul to reconnect with the land where she grew up, and does nothing but cook and eat and and garden and play with her puppy and it’s just the most god damn comforting thing. 

Amazon Prime
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    It was apparently Korean movie night at Murderbear Manor last night as I watched Parasite and Train to Busan.

Parasite was fantastic. I was worried the hype had built this one up too much for me but it absolutely delivered. The visuals were beautiful. The message was obvious but the story was done so well it was great.

Train to Busan was very good too. The action was cool, it looked pretty good but not perfect. It's probably one of the least gruesome zombie movies you'll see which is nice. And I have to say, the little girl was great in the movie. She really turned it on in the end and I thought it was surprisingly effective.
    RyanReeseman
  • edited April 2020
    It was apparently Korean movie night at Murderbear Manor last night as I watched Parasite and Train to Busan.

Parasite was fantastic. I was worried the hype had built this one up too much for me but it absolutely delivered. The visuals were beautiful. The message was obvious but the story was done so well it was great.

Train to Busan was very good too. The action was cool, it looked pretty good but not perfect. It's probably one of the least gruesome zombie movies you'll see which is nice. And I have to say, the little girl was great in the movie. She really turned it on in the end and I thought it was surprisingly effective.
    Two all-timers for me. Hulu currently has the Bong films Barking Dogs Never Bite, The Host, and Mother as well if you want to check them out. I think Mother might still be his best film. 

Have you seen the trailer for the Train to Busan sequel Peninsula? It looks crazy action packed, like Fast and Furious with zombies. It’s even titled Train To Busan Presents: Peninsula. Wild tonal shift for sure.
    Murderbearhisdudeness915Hatorian
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Little Forest

This was like a big warm hug. Remember hugs? This whole movie is about a young woman who returns home from Seoul to reconnect with the land where she grew up, and does nothing but cook and eat and and garden and play with her puppy and it’s just the most god damn comforting thing. 

Amazon Prime
    This review really confused me for a bit. I'm currently watching a movie on Hulu called Little Woods with Tessa Thompson and rural North Dakota looks nothing like Seoul. I kept waiting for her to get on a plane to Korea. 
    RyanReeseman
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Finally watched It Chapter 2 and I liked it. Usually I prefer the book version but in this case the movie ending better was better. Mike needed to be more involved, and even though it was a Saturday night I did not need an orgy scene. Loved King cameo poking fun at himself. 
  • fidoz said:
    Little Forest

Amazon Prime
    This review really confused me for a bit. I'm currently watching a movie on Hulu called Little Woods with Tessa Thompson and rural North Dakota looks nothing like Seoul. I kept waiting for her to get on a plane to Korea. 
    Also a really good movie. Tessa Thompson is actually good in it, which was quite shocking.
    fidoz
  • edited April 2020
    Side Effects

Holy ass I thought this was one thing, but it was NOT that thing, it was the completely other thing. I kinda don’t even want to say anything about this because I think any sort of description of it might dampen the experience of watching Soderbergh’s swan song as he would quit Hollywood after this and never ever go back on that promise. 

I don’t know if it’s a great movie, but it’s the type of movie that just doesn’t get made anymore, and Rooney Mara is a fascinating presence on screen every time I see her. 
    Murderbear
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Ingrid Goes West - Aubrey Plaza play's crazy, cringey so well. She's an unhinged stalker fresh out of the mental ward. 

Hulu 
    NoelMurderbear
    Knives Out. A fun who-dunnit mystery movie. Not the hardest of mysteries but I think this one was definitely more about the journey than the result. Although the very end, the result is quite satisfying.

Jojo Rabbit. Finally saw this and I really loved it. I have been a huge fan of Taika since I first saw What We Do In The Shadows so many years ago. I love his since of humor. I think something in me subconsciously avoided this movie, I think because of the potential subject matter. I knew it wouldn't end glorifying Hitler or Nazis because that would be insane, still, I was worried there would be some uncomfortability. Not at all. It is charming, funny, sad, heartwarming. All the things. And no question in my mind, MVP goes to Jojo's friend Yorki. That kid was absolutely hilarious.
    awookiee
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    The Nice Guys - I've been circling this movie since it came out 5 years ago. I even bought it on iTunes 2 years ago but didn't get around to watching it until last night. Holy Shit I loved this movie. Gosling and Crowe are great together. The action and comedy are intertwined seamlessly. 70's comedy noir FTW. 

HBO Now
    MurderbearNoelneal
    The Nice Guys was seriously underrated. Great movie.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Cuck 

From IMDb: "When a frustrated loner gains popularity as an Alt-Right vlogger, the online echo chamber turns his fears into a deadly rage."

I have no idea who this movie was actually for. Full of every imaginable incel cliche, with no real kind of moral element to make it interesting (or clown makeup to trick people into thinking it's stylish and cool).
    JaimieTnealken hale
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Stalag 17 - Another Billy Wilder/ William Holden classic.  Synopsis It’s a dreary Christmas 1944 for the American POWs in Stalag 17 and the men in Barracks 4, all sergeants, have to deal with a grave problem—there seems to be a security leak.

The movie walks the line between comedy and drama and you can tell it was a stage play first but the acting is great with quite a few of the original stage performers reprising their roles in the movie. 

Freshly learned trivia. Peter Graves of Mission Impossible fame is the younger brother of James Arness, Marshal Matt Dillon from Gunsmoke.

Amazon Prime
    Dee
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    fidoz said:
    Ingrid Goes West - Aubrey Plaza play's crazy, cringey so well. She's an unhinged stalker fresh out of the mental ward. 

Hulu 
    That movie is so good. I went in with really low expectations, but heard that some people really liked it. And boy was I surprised how awesome (and twisted) it was. 
    Noel
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Win It All - This is a good little mumblecore movie starring Jake Johnson. Eddie (Johnson) is a gambling addict who finds himself in deep trouble. Jake Johnson is right at home as both the lovable loser and the Chicago guy. Good supporting cast with Keegan Michael Key and Jo Lo Truglio. 

Netflix
    @fidoz Do you have a Letterboxd? I'd love to follow!
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    amyja89 said:
    https://letterboxd.com/Fidoz/
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    fidoz said:

Hulu 
    That movie is so good. I went in with really low expectations, but heard that some people really liked it. And boy was I surprised how awesome (and twisted) it was. 
    Noel
    fidoz said:
    amyja89 said:
    Turns out we already follow each other.  :D
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    fidoz said:
    Stalag 17 - Another Billy Wilder/ William Holden classic.  Synopsis It’s a dreary Christmas 1944 for the American POWs in Stalag 17 and the men in Barracks 4, all sergeants, have to deal with a grave problem—there seems to be a security leak.

The movie walks the line between comedy and drama and you can tell it was a stage play first but the acting is great with quite a few of the original stage performers reprising their roles in the movie. 

Freshly learned trivia. Peter Graves of Mission Impossible fame is the younger brother of James Arness, Marshal Matt Dillon from Gunsmoke.

Amazon Prime
    One of my favourite movies of all time - it was on TV a lot on weekend afternoons when I was a kid. It still holds up too, such an under-rated classic. 
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    amyja89 said:
    fidoz said:
    amyja89 said:
    Turns out we already follow each other.  :D
    I thought that was your Cuck review I read on there. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers & Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (theatrical cuts)

If anyone is interested in seeing how I'd rank these movies now... I'm doing it 1, 3, 2. I think ranking 3 higher than 2 puts me at odds with the critical community. Damn, 2 did not age as well for me. I can understand liking it, but I found it to be too slow compared to the perfect pacing of 1. Also it feels like more of a medieval movie than a fantasy movie. As a book reader, I appreciate the lore drops in 1 and 3. That hypes me up.

3 has the unfortunate downer of the 3rd act. I wish its 3rd act could have been fleshed out more. As it is, Frodo and Sam are in Mordor for such a brief time. They cross the Mordor plain(s) in 2 cuts. I'll admit I don't really know what I'm grasping at here... more might be all wrong. It might have felt worse somehow. But after the slog of them going south along Mordor's border across 1.5 movies, it's odd that they get to Mount Doom so quickly. If Peter Jackson told me, "Look, this was always going to be less dramatic here, so it's better that we get through it quickly," I think I'd believe him.

1 is a perfect movie!

fidozawookieeHatorianRyanReeseman
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    The American (2010)

I remember loving this movie back when it first came out. I mostly feel the same, but for different reasons. This movie is shot really well, I love how they frame the small Italy town vibes. I have a different appreciation for places like that since visiting the country myself. The people working at different places around the town reflected very well with the same experience I had. 

I guess I just remember there being more action. There’s very little, it’s almost ALL suspense. Which is fine. The lack of dialogue didn’t bother me. I noticed Clooney’s facial expressions a lot more this time around, it’s basically the only way he could act. I enjoyed his relationship with the priest.

Mixed feelings about the ending.
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    House of Games - This is Mamet's directorial debut. The writing is crisp and the plot twists and turns like any good noir film. I think the movie could have been 15% better if Lindsay Crouse (Mamet's wife at the time) was a better actress. 

Criterion Channel 
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Everybody Wants Some - This is a rewatch for me. This movie is the spiritual sequel to Dazed and Confused and at least for me lives up to that legacy. Maybe it's because I'm a Texas boy but so much of this movie rings true. It's also shot on the campus of Texas State where I spent two years going to school. I just love chilling with this movie and replaying those days in my memory bank.