Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

Comments

• MrX said:
    Was browsing around HBO Max, and ended up watching Max Mad: Fury Road for the first time in a few years. Goddamn this movie holds up. Not a wasted frame. Watched with my headphones on, having that immersive sound is a great experience.
    Easily my favorite movie to watch with the sound cranked to 11. I make it a point to watch it about once a year when no one else is home to disturb. I'm beyond excited about the prequel that will be starring Anya Taylor-Joy as young Furiosa. 
    FreddyMrX
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Barb & Star Go To Vista Del Mar - This feels like an extended Comedy Bang Bang bit that someone gave a budget to, or maybe a good version of one of those old SNL character gets a movie type of comedies (if you told me Barb and Star were SNL characters I would believe you but I haven't watched SNL in forever). It was funny and it's nice to have these kinds of movies that are about the jokes and the plot is whatever they need to do to set up the next idea they had.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I saw Sonic the Hedgehog is on Amazon Prime now and I was bored last night and watched. I......loved it? It was so much fun! A few actual genuine laughs, obvious but also fun Easter eggs/references, sure it has some eye rolling plot points but who cares? I expected the worst and was delightfully surprised!
    HatorianFreddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I saw Sonic the Hedgehog is on Amazon Prime now and I was bored last night and watched. I......loved it? It was so much fun! A few actual genuine laughs, obvious but also fun Easter eggs/references, sure it has some eye rolling plot points but who cares? I expected the worst and was delightfully surprised!
    It made me too sad in the beginning, and then it turned from that to immediately being annoyed by Jim Carrey. I can't handle that intense of an emotional roller-coaster.
    Murderbear
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Nomadland -- Want a fantastic, quiet, little movie. It dodges lots of dramatic pitfalls and tells just a great, slice-of-life story. Sometimes movies, have absolutely gorgeous visuals that you feel like you will never have a chance to see in real life because they are too lovely and no one can stumble on what the filmmakers found. This has countless spectacular shots that feel weighed into the world by the realism of the shot. McDormand knocks it out of the park as usual. But it is a quiet, unassuming performance. The music is heart-breakingly lovely. Give this one a shot if you have Hulu.
    GiovanniWarpedCore
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Paddington and Paddington 2 - I liked them more than I expected to, they’re very sweet and cute and everyone in them is lovely. 2 is better - Hugh Grant is a more fun villain than Nicole Kidman and Paddington’s sidekick for a time is the always great Brendan Gleeson. 

They were both very charming family films, not much more to say about them. 
    Chinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Dee said:
    Paddington and Paddington 2 - I liked them more than I expected to, they’re very sweet and cute and everyone in them is lovely. 2 is better - Hugh Grant is a more fun villain than Nicole Kidman and Paddington’s sidekick for a time is the always great Brendan Gleeson. 

They were both very charming family films, not much more to say about them. 
    those are fun, my daughter adores both of them. they're some of the highest rated movies on Rotten Tomatoes. the first one is at 97%, and the second is a perfect 100%!
    Dee
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Nomadland
    2/5

This is a well acted SHORT story. The movie itself is way too long for the little that occurs. I was initially very interested but started checking the time remaining about halfway through. This is another example of what is mentioned many times in this forum...should have been only 90 minutes or should have stopped at episode 5. 

I do want to give kudos to the two actors that are not actors, but true nomads.  They did a fantastic job. As for Francis McDormand she is a great actor but I’d love to see her do something different. I worry she is going down the Denzel path - different movie same character. 
  • Captain America: The First Avenger - I am going through the MCU when I have the time and decided to watch in the order of the Cinematic Universe. Some of these movies I haven't seen many times over, and this was one of them. This may be a bit controversial, but while I haven't been a huge fan of the Chris Evans Cap, I was pleasantly surprised on how much I enjoyed the re-watch.

The origin story of Steve Rogers was fun to see again. Tesseract in play, WWII Setting, Bucky, Peggy Carter, Red Skull, and of course Tommy Lee Jones playing Chester Phillips ( I still see and hear Sheriff Ed Tom Bell in everything he does now and that's okay).

It felt fresh since I haven't seen this movie in such a long time. It's fun to look back at how it all started, at the same time the mysteries making a little more sense to ease the viewing.

Loved the small part Neal McDonough played as Dim Dum. He played the role so well and have always been a fan of his work. I would have loved to see Marvel/Disney make a series featuring him and the Howling Commandos.

Next up: Captain Marvel.
    FreddyHatoriancdriveTeresa from Concordbizmarkiefader
  • Yes Disney+ has a dedicated stream for the MCU in timeline order. Pretty cool. 
    WarpedCorecalebthrowerFreddy

It felt fresh since I haven't seen this movie in such a long time. It's fun to look back at how it all started, at the same time the mysteries making a little more sense to ease the viewing.

I've been rewatching them in release order and I felt the same way about the first Captain America. I've made it to Winter Soldier and the thing that really stands out to me is watching these so closely together with more of a sense of how they all fit together, it really does feel like watching a TV show. Especially with the post credit scenes acting like a "next time on" when you have the next movie sitting right there.

WarpedCore
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited March 7
    Raya and The Last Dragon. Fantastic. Awkwafina fan. My oldest is a water dragon so this was lots of fun for the whole fam.  Explained to the kids that we can’t watch this for $20 a pop. Wait until we can buy it. 
    Chinaski
    Rocky IV is a Christmas movie. 
    Chinaski
    cdrive said:
    Raya and The Last Dragon. Fantastic. Awkwafina fan. My oldest is a water dragon so this was lots of fun for the whole fam.  Explained to the kids that we can’t watch this for $20 a pop. Wait until we can buy it. 
    there's only ONE real Last Dragon, and that's.. Bruce Leroy!

Bruce Leroy After The Glow - GIF  Dragon movies Classic 80s movies Comic  movies
    cdrive
    Psycho Goreman - I absolutely loved this movie. I don't think I've laughed this hard at anything in a while. An incredibly rude and selfish little girl gets control of an evil being who wants to destroy the galaxy and she makes him her toy and has him do random shit around town like play her calvinball-esque game with her brother who mostly exists for her to throw basketballs at. It has incredible power rangers type monsters that are 99% practical effects and everything is goofy and hilarious. You will probably either love or hate this movie depending on whether the very specific brand of humor clicks for you and how you feel about the main character because I imagine she would be very grating if you weren't on board. It took me a while to understand that the characters weren't doing a bit and the girl actually is that much of a monster and the dad character is that lazy and useless.

If you like the idea of an extremely silly movie with a bunch of creative practical effects and monster designs, terrible acting, wildly exaggerated characters, and the always funny fish out of water bit with a galactic evil doing mundane activities for a little girl while telling everyone around him he's going to bathe in their blood once he's free, I can't recommend this movie enough.

Also, soulless husk cop is 2020 character of the year and I'm upset the Baldies did not recognize this

ChinaskiMurderbear
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    The Nice Guys

man. I missed out on this one. Hilarious. Ryan Gosling is gold in it. This is the definition of rewatchable movie. The hitler jokes are amazing. 
    MrXTeresa from ConcordMurderbearbizmarkiefaderjluzania
  • Just watched The Limey, a Steven Soderbergh movie from the late 90s that I never caught. Verdict: it's fantastic, go check it out if you're into well made crime dramas with a Soderbergh flair.
    Zach Snyder 4 hours? It’s going to require an intermission. And it’s own thread?
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Shit. I forgot that came out tonight. Apparently there’s 6 chapters and an epilogue. And you can stop them there. 
    Teresa from Concord
    a 4 hour DC movie directed by Zach Snyder?  that sounds painful!
    Murderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I was coming here to see if anyone has watched it yet. I think I may try tonight. Actually, maybe I will wait until Sunday afternoon. Hard thing to watch on a weeknight because that's pretty much your whole evening there.

I am going in with the lowest of low expectations because his other movies, while fun to look at, are not that great. And uncaged Snyder sounds like it could be an even worse proposition.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I was wondering why they decided to release it on a Thursday, but then remembered that Falcon and Winter Soldier comes out tomorrow and it made more sense. 
    Psycho Goreman - I absolutely loved this movie. I don't think I've laughed this hard at anything in a while. An incredibly rude and selfish little girl gets control of an evil being who wants to destroy the galaxy and she makes him her toy and has him do random shit around town like play her calvinball-esque game with her brother who mostly exists for her to throw basketballs at. It has incredible power rangers type monsters that are 99% practical effects and everything is goofy and hilarious. You will probably either love or hate this movie depending on whether the very specific brand of humor clicks for you and how you feel about the main character because I imagine she would be very grating if you weren't on board. It took me a while to understand that the characters weren't doing a bit and the girl actually is that much of a monster and the dad character is that lazy and useless.

If you like the idea of an extremely silly movie with a bunch of creative practical effects and monster designs, terrible acting, wildly exaggerated characters, and the always funny fish out of water bit with a galactic evil doing mundane activities for a little girl while telling everyone around him he's going to bathe in their blood once he's free, I can't recommend this movie enough.

Also, soulless husk cop is 2020 character of the year and I'm upset the Baldies did not recognize this

haha that looks silly fun. like Little Monsters meets Encino Man. is it streaming on any common platforms?
    @Chinaski We rented it on amazon for 5 bucks. I initially rented it on youtube but it fucking blocked me as saying it was age restricted even though I have all that stuff turned off and I could never get it to let me play it even trying several devices so I have no idea wtf that's about. Amazon worked fine though.
    Chinaski
    edited March 20
    alright @bizmarkiefader - checked it out and it was ridiculously fun silly!  good throwback feel. like throwing Little Monsters, Monster Squad, Encino Man, with some Troma Entertainment humor and effects in a blender. not to mention some of those costume designs reminded me of OG Power Rangers baddies :D . shout out to the dad.. he's not lazy okay! haha. thanks for the rec!
    bizmarkiefader
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited March 22
    Beverly Hills Cop just showed up on HBO Max, so I  had to watch as a palate cleanser after 4 hours of the Snyder Cut over 3 days.

Still holds all the way up, Eddie Murphy at his peak powers, bangin' soundtrack, and of course a young Jonathan Banks with a memorable performance as a dead-eyed goon. Such a great flick. 
  • MrX said:
    Beverly Hills Cop just showed up on HBO Max, so I  had to watch as a palate cleanser after 4 hours of the Snyder Cut over 3 days.

Still holds all the way up, Eddie Murphy at his peak powers, bangin' soundtrack, and of course a young Jonathan Banks with a memorable performance as a dead-eyed goon. Such a great flick. 

I love Beverly Hills Cop, such a great movie. 
    FreddyMrX
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    awookiee said:
    MrX said:
    Was browsing around HBO Max, and ended up watching Max Mad: Fury Road for the first time in a few years. Goddamn this movie holds up. Not a wasted frame. Watched with my headphones on, having that immersive sound is a great experience.
    Easily my favorite movie to watch with the sound cranked to 11. I make it a point to watch it about once a year when no one else is home to disturb. I'm beyond excited about the prequel that will be starring Anya Taylor-Joy as young Furiosa. 
    That would be a great movie to be watched with a live orchestra doing the soundtrack.
    cdrive
    I would definitely want to hear a live orchestra version of Nasty Girl. 
    No Justice on screen
    Movie Zach always wanted
    Two out of ten
    RyanReeseman