Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

Comments

• I checked out The Favourite. It was not what I expected. Even after discovering it was the guy who did The Lobster, I'm still not entirely sure what I think about it. I do see why Olivia Colman won the Oscar for it, though. I thought Rachel Weisz was spectacular, too. 
  • edited March 25
    I really loved Nomadland. I am such an easy mark for a movie that is just about people existing. Nothing more and nothing less, just the story and experience. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Promising Young Woman: I have some qualms about a few choices the movie makes here and there. But over-all a solid flick. I don't think it has much of a chance competing with some of the other heavy-hitters from this year as far as awards go. But who gives a shit about awards? This was a good one. 
  • Freddy said:
    awookiee said:
    MrX said:
    Was browsing around HBO Max, and ended up watching Max Mad: Fury Road for the first time in a few years. Goddamn this movie holds up. Not a wasted frame. Watched with my headphones on, having that immersive sound is a great experience.
    Easily my favorite movie to watch with the sound cranked to 11. I make it a point to watch it about once a year when no one else is home to disturb. I'm beyond excited about the prequel that will be starring Anya Taylor-Joy as young Furiosa. 
    That would be a great movie to be watched with a live orchestra doing the soundtrack.
    That would be amazing. Especially if they have a real live doof warrior suspended above the stage.

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited March 25
    Descendants 3:  10/10.  I’m giving this one extremely high marks because (A) there are to date only 3 Descendants movies and I don’t have to watch another fucking Descendants movie for a while (B) my boys have forced all these earworm songs into my skull at a high efficacy rate and (C) the choreography on the knight fight / dance scene was pretty cool.

The Last Blockbuster:  7/10.  Nostalgia overload. Documentary cut with early MTV-era quirkiness.  A good small town hero real story. Did a good job of taking you thru the timeline of the whole movie rental business.  The only thing that detracted from it was Doug fucking Benson.  I’m sure he’s a nice guy but he just grates me the wrong way.

Brian Regan On The Rocks:  7/10. Top 5 All Time comedian for me.  He opens well but sorta slogs in the first half, but then he really does pull out some creative, vintage Regan that I admire him for. He just has a hilarious lens on things and like his previous stand-up routines, I think a lot of his material here will be clipped and rewatched for years to come because his jokes are sort of timeless. Like many times you watch a stand-up routine that’s 15-20 years old and all the subject matter is really dated.  Not Regan, IMO.

The next 2 are related because they’re both that psychological horror movie that makes you question “is it the crazies or is it the ghosties?” and I watched them in tandem.  I think one really stuck the landing with the psychological aspect while the other to me was problematic. Trying my best not to spoil anything.

Saint Maud: 6.5/10.  I wanted to like this more. Big A24 fan.  Also the former Catholic in me still gets the tingles about evil in the Catholic supernatural sense.  But kinda like how people had problems with the deformed guy in Midsommar, the psychological play in this movie kinda didn’t sit so well with me. I think the next movie I watched dealing with the same thing took it down a better path.  Also there are some horror styles in this movie that I don’t like. Don’t want to list them cause it would be a little spoilery.  Also I’m finally over some of the overused A24 stuff like upside down frames or slowly rotating frames.  I’m still glad I watched it, but like Hereditary and Midsommar, I have no desire to ever rewatch it.

The Vigil: 9/10.  This was a random find and I was surprised when I saw the high marks it received....so I gave it a go.  I love religious folklore horror and haunted house horror. A guy hurting for money agrees to be the Shomer, or the watcher, who watches over a dead body for 24 hrs to protect it from evil spirits, or a dybukk. I’ve been fascinated by the dybukk ever since the opening scene of the Coen brothers’ A Serious Man. Fast forward a few years to The Possession with Jeffrey Dean Morgan and a dybukk box.  The Vigil also does great haunted house horror. I love the use of still, and the use of classic haunted house tropes that I enjoy.  I think it handled the psychological part nicely as opposed to the problems I had with Saint Maud. Highly recommend this one. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Just watched Bad Trip on Netflix and damn, it was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time! Eric Andre is an absolute fearless maniac and I love him for that. Lil Rel and Tiffany Hadish are always hilarious. Kind of in the same vein of that Bad Grandpa movie where there is a storyline but it is all about the pranks and crazy shenanigans. I loved it.
    bizmarkiefader
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Second for Bad Trip, though I sometimes don't love it when these hidden camera movies make the joke be on the random people who don't know what's going on rather than the performers. It is hilarious though.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited April 9
    Masterminds with Owen Wilson, Zack G and some others.

not good but damnit Jason Sudekis has a small part and he’s amazing. I was legit scared by his character. Love him. 
    Second for Bad Trip, though I sometimes don't love it when these hidden camera movies make the joke be on the random people who don't know what's going on rather than the performers. It is hilarious though.
    I liked that it briskly moved from scene to scene. The awkwardness of the hidden camera stuff can be a bit too much for me. This didn't wallow in that awkwardness. It is there, for sure. But it doesn't sit with it too long. 
    Willys Wonderland 

i really hope this makes it onto season of the Cage. It’s not a good movie but it’s a Nic Cage epic.. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Thunder Force. Phew. Melissa McCarthy needs to stop propping up her writer/director husband. He is not talented. 
    Dee said:
    Thunder Force. Phew. Melissa McCarthy needs to stop propping up her writer/director husband. He is not talented. 
    You know, she was fantastic in "Can You Ever Forgive Me?" She needs to do more stuff like that. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited April 11
    @Garthgou81 I would be happy enough if she just stuck to making movies with Paul Feig.
    Murderbear
    Dredd. I saw A.Ron thinking out loud on Twitter about them possibly doing this for Sunday night on Twitch and was excited because it was recently added on Amazon and I had never seen it for whatever reason. Since they abandoned the idea and we're going to do a different movie, I watched it last night.

Wow! It's all action and I have to say, most of the effect shots hold up pretty well for a movie from 2012. The way it looks when someone is on SLOW-MO is super cool and there is a particular action scene early on in slow motion that is pretty wicked because of the violence. And yes, it is VERY violent. Karl Urban as Dredd is great. Lena Headey as the evil Ma-Ma is also great.

It's a shame they never made any more of these because I think they could have really done some cool shit!
    Hatorian
    edited April 12
    2012 had some great good dude vs building full of bad dudes movies. I think the raid redemption came out then too. Definitely check that out if you liked Dredd. It’s Indonesian but the fighting is some of the best on screen
    Murderbear
    The Raid rules! The sequel is great too
    Hatorian
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Thunder Force
    2/10

i give it a 2 because I laughed twice. I think. This movie is so disappointing. 100% agree with @Dee. Melissa needs to make smarter choices. And how did they convince Octavia Spencer to be in this?

I love how they left a possibility for a sequel. As if. 
    Dee
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I watched King Arthur: Legend of the Sword which is the 2017 Guy Richie one and it was surprisingly enjoyable. When this came out it GoT was still the benchmark for any medieval fantasy stuff and this doesn't compare very favorably to peak GoT, but now just as something to throw on in the afternoon there's a lot to like about it. It's got a good cast, Charlie Hunnam and Jude Law are really good in it, and the effects are pretty good and at least look very expensive. The plot is pretty basic but there's a shocking amount of Guy Richie-ness that comes out at random times (like a scene where they introduce people in a crew that all have multiple nicknames and backstories which could have just been lifted from Snatch). It also has his slow down, speed up and swing the camera around everywhere action scenes which work well once they introduce Excalibur. Excalibur in this lore apparently turns you into an anime character who can instantly take out an entire room while your eyes glow blue. The bad guys also have some giant armored elephants that can walk through castles, so that's pretty cool.

It's painfully obvious at the end of this movie that they were trying to set up an extended universe that was never going to happen, but watching it for what it is I liked it.

Hatorian
  • Starting watching the marvel movies in timeline order.

Captain America 6/10 - had some fun scenes, but also really cheesy at times.
    Captain Marvel 6/10 - I think I enjoyed this more than Captain America because of the sci-fi, also fun to see Jude Law and Samuel Jackson. 
    Iron Man 7/10 - wow Tony Stark is quite the unlikable hero huh? I remember seeing this when it came out and it still held up pretty well. 
  • Sneakers!

Classic hacker/heist movie, just saw it's available on HBO Max. All time great cast - Robert Redford, Sidney Pottier, Ben Kingsley, Mary McDonnell, River Phoenix, Dan Aykroyd, David Straithan.

30 year anniversary coming up next year, I think Bald Move should definitely do a review!
    FreddyMurderbear
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    MrX said:
    Sneakers!

Classic hacker/heist movie, just saw it's available on HBO Max. All time great cast - Robert Redford, Sidney Pottier, Ben Kingsley, Mary McDonnell, River Phoenix, Dan Aykroyd, David Straithan.

30 year anniversary coming up next year, I think Bald Move should definitely do a review!
    they reviewed it last year. right around the time when Covid started to pick up steam.

• Chinaski said:
    MrX said:
    Sneakers!

they reviewed it last year. right around the time when Covid started to pick up steam.

Damn I completely missed that - thanks for the heads up!
  • edited April 23
    Just finished Mortal Kombat and I have to say I was disappointed. The first 15-20 minutes of this movie were spectacular but as soon as they brought Sonya Blade and Kano onto the screen it went downhill real fast.
    Freddy
    awookiee said:
    Just finished Mortal Kombat and I have to say I was disappointed. The first 15-20 minutes of this movie were spectacular but as soon as they brought Sonya Blade and Kano onto the screen it went downhill real fast.
    I enjoyed it for what it was. Cole was stupid but the fighting and fatalities didn’t really disappoint. 

Murderbear
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    haha Mortal Kombat was hella stupid. i couldn't even finish it :D
    Freddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Chinaski said:
    haha Mortal Kombat was hella stupid. i couldn't even finish it :D
    Best way I could describe it is it gets all the things right the first one got wrong, and all the things wrong the first one got right. Both equally terrible in their own way.
    Chinaski
    It’s an interesting world they created but unless they make sequels, that are good, it is a major letdown of a movie. A sequel that just focuses on the tournament could be really dope. 

I guess I was hoping for bloodsport but I got a slightly better movie than 95.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Don’t play but thought that shouldn’t matter if it’s a good movie. Wrong. I didn’t bother to finish. Total crap. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited April 26
    Don’t @ me, but I had a ton of fun with the new Mortal Kombat. Just went in with the the lowest of expectations just like Kong v Godzilla, so it felt like a whimsical carnival ride....with fatalities.  Had so much fun in fact that I watched the 1996 MK Sunday afternoon. THEN went outside for a smoke, and my wife is in the garden listening to Bald Move’s MK cast, which I didn’t know they had done! So listened to that and was tickled that they got the same vibe.  THEN peeked at the PlayStation store and saw they had MK11 with all the add-ons thrown in for half off.  Played that all night.  Might go out and get a MK logo tat tomorrow....not sure yet. 

calebthrowerMurderbear