Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

Comments

• Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited October 2016
    Hell or High Water- Bank robbery neo-noir and neo-western set in a depressed West Texas that almost becomes a character on its own.  Well done, with Chris Pine and Ben Foster as brothers literally trying to save the ranch by hitting multiple small time banks for petty cash, and Jeff Bridges and Gil Birmingham as the Texas Ranger partners trying to track them down.  Lots of cool characterization and naturalism, and the plot didn't quite go where I was expecting it to. Recommended.  
    darwinfeeshy
  • edited October 2016
    The Accountant

Gee willikers, this movie is ridiculous. Fun, but ridiculous. Ever wonder what would happen if an autistic savant had a hard-ass Army dad who trained him in shooting/martial arts? Well look no further, this movie's for you!!

The best word I could use to describe this movie is fun. It's pretty much junk food. Do I regret paying the ticket price to see it in theaters? Kind of. But I would definitely recommend this as a lazy day movie at home. There are some pretty funny moments stemming from Ben Affleck's autistic quirks. He did pretty well in this flick, all things considered.

However, some of the twists and turns this movie took had me groaning out loud. But whatever, it's a movie about a deadly accountant. What did I expect?

6.5/10
    36MickS. Smith
    edited November 2016
    Weiner:

A fly on the wall documentary about Anthony Weiner's campaign for New York City mayor in 2013 and the recurrent sexting scandal that did him in. Cringe inducing, chilling and very sad. Chilling because the guy is pathological, entitled and appears mostly without shame. Sad because Huma Abedin pretty much looks like a car crash survivor for most of the movie.  It's well done but it's mostly about personality disorder and enabling. 
    darwinfeeshy36Mick
  • @Doctor_Nick You're timing is imPECKERable
    Doctor_Nick
  • Weiner:

A fly on the wall documentary about Anthony Weiner's campaign for New York City mayor in 2013 and the recurrent sexting scandal that did him in. Cringe inducing, chilling and very sad. Chilling because the guy is pathological, entitled and appears mostly without shame. Sad because Huma Abedin pretty much looks like a car crash survivor for most of the movie.  It's well done but it's mostly about personality disorder and enabling. 
    The scene with the young woman/ ex-sexting partner waiting to confront Anthony is some of the greatest reality TV of the past decade.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2016
    @akritenbrink ;

No, she barely says anything not in a press conference.  She's clearly terribly disappointed and hurt by what's going on.  He mouths understanding of the tough times he's putting his family and the people who work for him through but, really, only one of his campaign managers in a meeting we see for a minute or so and Lawrence O'Donnell in a MSNBC clip confront him directly.   I don't understand how Weiner could carry it through to the bitter end, including dodging Sydney Leathers at his concession speech by dodging through the emergency exit at a McDonald's that his campaign staff had worked out beforehand, somehow.
  • The Truman Show is such a great movie (probably Jim Carrey best, but I have not seen any of his movies after Liar, Liar).  I was looking at the Rotten Tomatoes reviews and there were pretty great as well.  I could have swore that it was not received well at release but it could be my memory was bad.  I could not imagine the effort needed to keep the show going.  The extras, ensuring Truman is not too irrational or too unpredictable, it's crazy.  I wonder how a commissioned podcast would go with this one.
    Dee
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Just saw Grandma, great little movie. Lily Tomlin is still a fucking boss.
    Just watched Every Secret Thing. Very average and not exactly what you want in a snoozy Sunday afternoon movie, but pleased to report that Diane Lane is ageing like a damn fine wine.
    jomiha
  • jomihajomiha Springfield IL
    Was hoping I'd be able to say "Arrival", but that didn't pan out this week. So, last movie I saw was Dr. Strange a couple of weeks ago. I gave it 3.5 out of 5 stars on Letterboxd. 
  • The Truman Show is such a great movie (probably Jim Carrey best, but I have not seen any of his movies after Liar, Liar).  I was looking at the Rotten Tomatoes reviews and there were pretty great as well.  I could have swore that it was not received well at release but it could be my memory was bad.  I could not imagine the effort needed to keep the show going.  The extras, ensuring Truman is not too irrational or too unpredictable, it's crazy.  I wonder how a commissioned podcast would go with this one.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Speaking of Letterboxd, anyone want to connect on there? I love seeing what people are watching.

amyja89 said:

Speaking of Letterboxd, anyone want to connect on there? I love seeing what people are watching.

Just followed you, Amy.
    amyja89

@amyja89 cool, I've never seen this before but it looks fun, so I created a profile: http://letterboxd.com/akritenbrink/

Everybody be my friend!
    Followed!
    I'm at http://letterboxd.com/Jomiha/ if anyone wants to connect. 

• I just finished watching You're Next.  If it wanted to pass as a horror movie, I think there were too many people in play for it to be really effective.  It was really straightforward and for the most part predictable once you know the relationship of everyone there.  I kinda liked how it ended and the possibilities it presents.  Overall it was an okay film.

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I see all of those points about You're Next. I was never really scared, but I thought it was just a mile-a-minute fun time. For me it was better than okay, but like I said, I completely get why it may not have wowed you. I think Adam Wingard, the director, makes some of the most flat-out fun genre movies around. Hopefully his latest, Blair Witch, was just a fluke. 
  • Gone in 60 Seconds the original.  Great chase scene.  The protagonist is an ass, though.
  • I see all of those points about You're Next. I was never really scared, but I thought it was just a mile-a-minute fun time. For me it was better than okay, but like I said, I completely get why it may not have wowed you. I think Adam Wingard, the director, makes some of the most flat-out fun genre movies around. Hopefully his latest, Blair Witch, was just a fluke. 

Don't get me wrong, the protagonist was great.  I'd honestly say I had Until Dawn in mind while the movie was playing and in the game as many people as there is in the game, you get enough time with each for it to have weight.  When the real story in the movie progresses and some people are as nondescript as the two murdered in the beginning, it's a script that I'm not accustomed to.  Shit, I was not a big fan of Cabin in the Woods because of its deviation from what the genre was supposed to be until I looked at it differently in subsequent viewings.

I see all of those points about You're Next. I was never really scared, but I thought it was just a mile-a-minute fun time. For me it was better than okay, but like I said, I completely get why it may not have wowed you. I think Adam Wingard, the director, makes some of the most flat-out fun genre movies around. Hopefully his latest, Blair Witch, was just a fluke. 

Don't get me wrong, the protagonist was great.  I'd honestly say I had Until Dawn in mind while the movie was playing and in the game as many people as there is in the game, you get enough time with each for it to have weight.  When the real story in the movie progresses and some people are as nondescript as the two murdered in the beginning, it's a script that I'm not accustomed to.  Shit, I was not a big fan of Cabin in the Woods because of its deviation from what the genre was supposed to be until I looked at it differently in subsequent viewings.
    Oh thats really interesting. I'd be curious what you thought of The Guest which was Wingard's next flick. It has a similar...vibe, I guess. This is also making me want to go and rewatch both movies. Also...Until Dawn is the shit. I had such a fun time with that game. 
  • I'm also on letterboxd as well. Love that site and making lists. I even have a list I made for Bald Move commissioned casts, though I haven't kept it updated recently. I'm not very good at reviewing films, but I try to write a reaction there for every film I log.

amyja89jomiha
  • I also went to see Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them, I thought it was great. It mixed the magical element along with some good humour and a decent story line. You dont need to be a Potter fan to enjoy it but it might help. 

I'm looking forward to many more "Potterverse" films coming out similar to the Star Wars universe being expanded now. 

S. Smithvoodoorat
    Saw Moana yesterday with my 7 year-old. I was smitten with the animation. The music was pretty infectious- we were singing "We Know the Way" on the car ride home. Gave it four stars on Letterboxd.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I saw Hacksaw Ridge today with my father, who is a vet. Some of the hardcore battle scenes were a bit too much for me, but overall the movie was really, really good. Andrew Garfield gave a stellar performance as Desmond Doss, who the movie was based on. I'm not much of a fan of Mel Gibson, but this could easily be his comeback film as a director. And, you've got Vince Vaughn with an incredible turn in a dramatic role. Highly recommended if you can handle the battle scenes.
    edited November 2016
    I always forget Vince Vaughn started off as a serious actor. He was in Jurassic World, The Cell and the Psycho remake. I think he has some real chops. It just seemed like things weren't working for him on that side of things so he took a break and did a million comedies. 
    Michelle