RIP Vinyl

Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
I am not entirely surprised once HBO let Terence Winter go, but dang. This is too bad.

http://www.avclub.com/article/hbo-scratches-vinyl-rendering-it-unplayable-238629

"Sounds like HBO no longer digs Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger’s groovy tunes—the pay-cable network has just lifted the needle on their fledgling drama Vinyl. HBO issued a statement about the cancellation, which comes just months after the network gave the series a renewal.

“After careful consideration, we have decided not to proceed with a second season of Vinyl. Obviously, this was not an easy decision. We have enormous respect for the creative team and cast for their hard work and passion on this project.”

Vinyl starred Bobby Cannavale as Richie Finestra, a record executive yearning for the days of unvarnished rock ’n’ roll. The show struggled in the ratings from the beginning, but the biggest blow was dealt in April, when Terence Winter was dropped as showrunner. Ultimately, no amount of (fake) cocaine or Ray Romano could keep the show on the air—although HBO seemed committed to at least a second pressing, the cost of reworking the series for season two proved prohibitive. But Scorsese and Jagger can at least take solace in knowing that now that Vinyl’s a limited edition, audiophiles are going to be all over it."

Comments

• DrewDrew indianapolis
    Bummer the last couple episodes really hooked me and I was excited to see where it was going.
  • edited June 2016
    It's speculated that Boardwalk Empire got the short season because Terrence Winter wanted to make Vinyl.  In some way I think justice has been served.  Vinyl ended up being a lot like the Nasty Bits - a shitty project that shouldn't have made it past the demo phase.
    Dee
  • Was it good? I was not very interested. I don't know how you quantify success of these shows just off subscribers. Unless people are really subscribing to these premium channels only for a few months of a particular show's season.
  • I only watched the first two and bailed out, there's just too much excellent TV around now (and to catch up on) to invest hours in something which may have caught my interest eventually but may not have. Shame for all involved and all who liked it
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited June 2016
    It had its moments, but nothing special. Gyp Rosetti has his place in television, and it's not as a lead.

Ray Romano and J.C MacKenzie both killed it though. Would love to see them in more stuff. Side note: check out the movie The Grand if you want to see Ray Romano at his absolute best.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Can we get Boardwalk Empire back then?
    Tyler_DurdenFreddyGarthgou81UnderwoodApril_May_June
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Dee said:

Can we get Boardwalk Empire back then?

I like this idea.
    Dee
  • Bummer, I actually liked the show... but I know it wasn't hugely popular, so it's no surprise. I didn't expect them to cancel the renewal though.
  • Man Westworld better be good or HBO is in trouble in the drama realm. Leftovers ending soon and takes away the little watched but critical success darling, end of Game of Thrones in sight, say goodbye to their cash cow. And they've had FX/AMC/Netflix breathing down their necks for a while now.
  • edited June 2016
    Yeah HBO is definitely getting more cutthroat now that GoT is wrapping up and there's no obvious successor with TD's sophomore turd.

I have high hopes for Westworld becoming HBO's next big hit, it has the potential to be amazing.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    ghm3 said:

Yeah HBO is definitely getting more cutthroat now that GoT is wrapping up and there's no obvious successor with TD's sophomore turd.

I have high hopes for Westworld becoming HBO's next big hit, it has the potential to be amazing.

It reminds me a bit of when Sopranos was ending. Six Feet Under had ended. Deadwood was on the air, but were obviously feeling the pressure.
    AntManBee
  • If you are disappointed this show is gone, then I recommend John Logan's next series on Showtime, which will be based on Patti Smith's memoirs, Just Kids. It will be very similar to Vinyl focusing on NYC's music and art scenes in the 1970s - and most likely without the problematic mafia subplot. 
  • @AntManBee I dunno, after that Penny Dreadful finale I have zero faith in John Logan tbf. Also not that much into Patti Smith - I liked that Vinyl featured real-life stars, while the main characters were fictional. Dramatized versions of real events are not really my thing.
  • Was it good? I was not very interested. I don't know how you quantify success of these shows just off subscribers. Unless people are really subscribing to these premium channels only for a few months of a particular show's season.

I didn't find the story or protagonist all that compelling, but Ray Romano is good and there was some cinematography that made me go back and watch a scene more than once.  Some pretty cool look-a-like musical performances.  Binge it on a shitty day and you'll probably like it I guess.
This discussion has been closed.