Hardcore History of Game of Thrones

Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
So an (amazing) person did an actual podcast giving a history of Westeros in a (again, amazing) Dan Carlin impersonation. Each of these is about 2 hours long. I have yet to make my way through them but from the bit I have listened to so far--its pretty great.

These first three are available on SoundCloud. But there are 5 other parts that you have to be a Howl member to listen. I am not trying to pimp Howl, by the way. I don't listen to any of their stuff. But I thought the GoT fans here may like to listen to at least the free episodes. Enjoy.

http://howl.fm/audio/playlists/4156/hardcore-game-of-thrones
kingbee67Travisghm3bookappealtom_g

Comments

• WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    I think I'm going to have to give these a listen between the audio books. I thought that the fake Dan Carlin voice would be a distraction, but after listening to about 3 minutes of it, it's actually not bad.

Cool find.
  • I listened to all of them (the first 3). Pretty fucking good my friend. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    WarpFox said:

I think I'm going to have to give these a listen between the audio books. I thought that the fake Dan Carlin voice would be a distraction, but after listening to about 3 minutes of it, it's actually not bad.

Cool find.

Yeah, its easy to see how it could go too far off the deep end with the grow that Carlin has. But he manages to have some restraint. I was very impressed.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    Big fan. I've mentioned on the board many times.

Always seemed like a perfect match for this fan base.

His tone and cadence are amazing. He must be a huge Hardcore fan.
    DancesWithWookiesTheEconomist
    DrKen said:

Big fan. I've mentioned on the board many times.

Oh dang, did you post this already? Sorry.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    No, no.

I was just trying to support that I'm a big fan as well.

Agreed that I said it wrong.
    I just listened to Carlin's Prophets of Doom (after someone's recommendation from BM forums--could have been you, @DrKen ) and good god--what an enthralling, brutal, listen that was. I loved it.
    TravisTheEconomist
  • this is impressive for a lot of reasons but more than anything i'm amazed that more than one human on earth is able to make a voice that sounds like that come out of their throats for that long.
    TravisTheEconomist
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I had trouble with the SoundCloud app, but I found first three on I tunes under Earwolf Presents podcast.

I think it's amazing that the guy has to stay in character for that all those episodes.

Thanks for posting this.
    TheEconomist
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2016

I just listened to Carlin's Prophets of Doom (after someone's recommendation from BM forums--could have been you, @DrKen ) and good god--what an enthralling, brutal, listen that was. I loved it.

Yeah man. Prophets of Doom was messed up and crazy and awesome. That was a great cast. I'm kind of surprised no one has turned that into an HBO series yet.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm super intrigued. Downloading it now.

TheEconomistghm3
    @Travis I was listening with my mom and she was amazed that she never had heard of it before. I wasn't surprised because us Americans are pretty self-centered. And crazy shit has happened all over that just never made the history book pages over here. I did end up looking up the cages which Dan promised were still on display in in Munster. There are a ton of pictures of them all over the internet. Crazy, crazy stuff.

TravisTheEconomist
  • @Garthgou81 I was kind of surprised that I had no idea any of it happened either. Ultimately, you're right though. As much as I appreciate the history that I did get in my public school education there are certainly a lot of gaping holes, and we did get the basic situation surrounding the Anti-Baptists and Martin Luther and what not. I suppose to tell that story, truly, it would require a fair amount of time that would come at the sacrifice of other stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if it was brought up as "some really messed up stuff happened in Muenster..." and it just kind of passed by without much explanation. Either way, I'm really glad that Hardcore History exists. Now that I've more or less shotgunned all the GoT stuff that finally brought me current (this earwolf stuff aside which I'm excited to check out) I should get back into his back catalog. I'll look up those pictures too. Thanks for the heads up.  
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I'll have to give this another shot. I couldn't make it past the "according to scholar Martin" and commenting on competing accounts, it all felt really trite to me given how well we all know what he's talking about. Does he eventually tone any of that down or is this probably not going to be my thing?
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Oh man, this is great stuff. It feels a little hokey at points, but all in all is what it's advertised as.
    TheEconomist
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    A brilliant parody. When he compared the children of the forest to a magical Vietcong I was hooked and lolling. This is a great listen for casual GoT fans that aren't even familiar with Dan Carlin or Harcore History. It would be really informative for non book readers to get a whole download of universe building to enrich his or her viewing.
    voodoorat
  • I couldn't make it past the "according to scholar Martin" and commenting on competing accounts, it all felt really trite to me given how well we all know what he's talking about. Does he eventually tone any of that down or is this probably not going to be my thing?

Citing sources also became annoying for me but I listened to all 18 (?) hours anyway because the rest of it is so darn good and it really sums up the history and interrelation of characters and events very well. Helpful for readers who enjoyed the books but haven't memorized the history of Westeros!

• aberry89aberry89 California
    That is AWESOME!  The impresion is pretty spot on - needs to be talking about a tenth of a second slower though... lol
    FlashGordon
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Wow, that was brilliant!  It filled in a lot of holes in my understanding of Westerosi history-- particularly the chronology of Robert's Rebellion and of Aerys's descent into insanity.

Suddenly the conversation Stannis had with Manderly makes a lot more sense.

If I had one complaint, it's that the narrator seems to occasionally slip into a Grover/Cookie.Monster impression.
  • Listens to the first episode. Pretty good. Dudes Carlin is spot on.
  • @Garthgou81 Thank you so much for pointing this out. I'm enjoying it a great deal. His Carlin is pretty amazing. Sure, it's a little too gravel-y, but he has the beats and the inflections nailed down like crazy. It's pretty awesome.

• @trippy how many more episodes are there after the three free ones?  i'm tempted to join for a month too just to hear the rest of these.
    Travis
  • There are 8 total.  You can usually get the first month free and then cancel.

Not sure if they are still doing that deal.
  • Does the 4th episode sync up the S1? I really just wanted to know everything up until S1. The Rebellion stuff was great and Ep3 ended with the Rebellion if I remember correctly.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
  • So an (amazing) person did an actual podcast giving a history of Westeros in a (again, amazing) Dan Carlin impersonation. Each of these is about 2 hours long. I have yet to make my way through them but from the bit I have listened to so far--its pretty great. . .

Thanks - listening now - very entertaining.
    Travis
    @Jovial_Falcon I ran through it pretty fast, but if memory serves me correct ep 4 is right when the show starts, and the rest of the eps take you to the end of the War of the Five Kings (the original kings at any rate). It's a solid listen, but the first 3 eps are the ones that fill you in on the backstory of the series that you don't get from the show. Also, it should be noted that the podcast follows the books rather than the show.

@trippy I didn't try the app, but their pc interface was pretty bad. My suggestion to everyone is to go for the one month free trial, fly through the HHGoT cast, and then get the fuck out of there. Howl Premium is garbage as far as I can tell.
  • One thing I've noticed that's kind of funny (certainly not a criticism, I can't imagine trying to hold that impersonation for 2 hours) is a couple of times he has slipped into something bearing resemblance to a hybrid of Carlin and Kevin from the Office. This amuses me pretty greatly.
    Freddy
    @trippy WTF? Seriously, wtf!? Reading anything about Marc Maron's podcast, the only thing that comes to mind is this quote from Flanders: "I like Woody Allen films except for that nervous fella who's always in them"
  • trippy said:

@Freddy I found that a lot of the content was pretty good.  Having access to nearly the full archive of WTF was awesome in and of itself.   I have listened to several of the comedy albums.   But I'm a bit of a comedy nerd.  For example I found SuperEgo to be pretty god damn funny.  Especially their cinema classics.  Where 3 of them took the personas of HR Giger, John Hurt and Ridley Scott and did a dvd-esque commentary of the whole movie Alien.  So fucking funny, I was literally laughing out loud when listening while riding  my bike.  I had to stop pedalling and pull over.  "This movie is all about corridors.  Corridors... Corridors.    and buttons"  .  I found a few really good things,  totally wouldn't have found it if I hadn't pulled down the hardcore game of thrones. 

As far as his imitation I loved it.  Especially the little nuances, like with his periodic "I'm not a [blank] I'm just a fan" - so Dan carlin.   "I'm not a historian, I'm just a fan",  "I'm not a magician,  I'm just a fan"  "I'm not dan carlin,  I'm just a fan".  

trippy, you should listen to Pistol Shrimps Radio.  It's the guy that does HR Giger (Matt Gourley) and Mark McConville (another SuperEgo guy) doing women's rec league basketball commentary.

Also, Gourley did Giger in what I think is the funniest single podcast episode ever made - the Travel Bug episode of Andy Daly's Pilot Podcast.
This discussion has been closed.