The Nintendo Switch (NX) looks awesome!!

Nintendo seems to be stepping up their game!! Super hyped!!

[Deleted User]Nathandarwinfeeshy

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Awesome idea, stupid name. I think NX is way better. But, I gotta say, portable Skyrim is suuuuper sweet!
  • Ugh...they went the McDonald's route. Let's go to the skate park and rock our proprietary hardware and McChickens!! Just. Make. Games.
    Murderbear
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    It's definitely a cool design and outside the box thinking but that type of mobile gaming does nothing for me. So I'm not the target audience. I'd buy it, use the portable aspect once or twice, then never again.
    To each their own though.
    Cory
  • NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    Looks really good. Intrigued for more. I'm happy to see them combining their handheld and console divisions.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited October 2016
    Right?? I was watching it with a coworker and the "Hey, let's go go-karting. And on the way, we'll play Mario Kart!" portion really bothered me. That shit doesn't happen!
    Melonusk
  • edited October 2016
    Cheesy commercial aside, I'm pretty excited for this. The hybrid on-the-go approach is neat, but it all comes down to the games. And why don't I have friends  who wave me over for awesome rooftop parties? 

and @27timechampsPLUSarodsucks , I think you might have the longest username on the forums :P
    27timechampsPLUSarodsucks
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I will for sure be getting one. I have been a day one Nintendo guy since the NES.

I might get two just to have the extra dock and to have one to hack. I have a feeling this is going to be the go to portable emulation machine once people unlock it.
  • edited October 2016
    I remember hearing that 3rd party companies maybe willing to back this console.  The way it looks I understand why.  I would hold off on the excitement though.  There is still important information we help before we can champion this, even before price.  The battery life is going to be a major issue (at least 6 hours).  Nintendo is known for its proprietary accessories so if there is expandable memory can we use a regular SD (or micro SD)?  Will it connect online?  Can you download outside of the docking station?  Is it just a gaming machine or can you use streaming apps or web browsers as well?  Does it include both controllers or just the detachable one? 

I am sure Nintendo will do this better than what SNK & Tommo did with the Neo Geo X Gold. 
  • Anyone thinking about getting an NES classic this November? I think it might be nice to play these games with a NES controller and with save states. I know that you can already play everything with emulators, etc. but it's nice to have a hassle-free way to play these games.

https://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic
  • @darwinfeeshy im totally gonna get one for my 5 year old daughter. She played most of them given the reading involved for some of them. She loves the games and having them on the same looking unit as my original nes is gonna excite her even more. The only problem I have with it is the short ass controller cords. I can get over the fact that I can't preorder it. But having to purchase a long hdmi cord so I'm not 2 feet from the tv is mildly inconvenient.
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited October 2016
    I was thinking of getting nes-classic initially, but now I'm reconsidering and thinking of going the emulation station route. The nes-classic seems to limited in terms of expansion. Only a set number games and no way to add more. I do like the simplicity of it, though. Just plug'n play and also the original controller is a nice touch.
  • DaveyMac said:

I was thinking of getting nes-classic initially, but now I'm reconsidering and thinking of going the emulation station route. The nes-classic seems to limited in terms of expansion. Only a set number games and so seeming way to add more. I do like the simplicity of it, though. Just plug'n play and also the original controller is a nice touch.

Before I knew the Classic was going to come out, I invested in a NES top-loader. I still have my OG NES grey brick, but the connectors are pretty worn, and I wanted that beautiful SNES-style dog bone controller, so I figured what the hell? You can get old game cartridges for mostly under $20 per (except for more rare/popular ones, obviously), so I suppose the question is, how many games do you want to have available? I love having the old Friday the 13th game, for example, but it's not objectively very fun. Plus, if your TV is new enough, the HDMI input (and presumably Progressive-scanned graphics) on the Classic might be enough to tip things that way...
    DaveyMac
  • edited October 2016
    DaveyMac said:

I was thinking of getting nes-classic initially, but now I'm reconsidering and thinking of going the emulation station route. The nes-classic seems to limited in terms of expansion. Only a set number games and so seeming way to add more. I do like the simplicity of it, though. Just plug'n play and also the original controller is a nice touch.

Yeah, I'm torn as well because, while I have very little electronics experience, I hear you can make a decent emulator with a great library from a Raspberry Pi, but it's definitely not as easy or reliable as just clicking a few buttons on amazon.
    DaveyMac
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I love emulation but I swear 9 times out of 10 I end up messing with settings and not playing when I go to emulate a retro game, and I would consider myself an expert on the subject.

There is something to be said about the plug and play solution that is the NES Classic. I'm getting one because my wife and kids don't have the patience for sitting around waiting for me to load a rom, bind keys, etc with an emulator.
    darwinfeeshyDaveyMac
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited October 2016
    Melia004 said:

DaveyMac said:

Before I knew the Classic was going to come out, I invested in a NES top-loader. I still have my OG NES grey brick, but the connectors are pretty worn, and I wanted that beautiful SNES-style dog bone controller, so I figured what the hell? You can get old game cartridges for mostly under $20 per (except for more rare/popular ones, obviously), so I suppose the question is, how many games do you want to have available? I love having the old Friday the 13th game, for example, but it's not objectively very fun. Plus, if your TV is new enough, the HDMI input (and presumably Progressive-scanned graphics) on the Classic might be enough to tip things that way...
    It looks like you'll have three display modes actually, which is cool:
    "CRT filter: Looks like an old TV, scan lines and all."
    "4:3: Gives you the original NES game look, with a slight horizontal stretch."
    "Pixel Perfect: Each pixel is a perfect square, so you see the games exactly as designed."

Even though I was complaining about not having the ability to add more games, I will probably pick one up. Fortunately some of my favorite NES games are included in the pack.
  • DaveyMac said:

Melia004 said:

DaveyMac said:

It looks like you'll have three display modes actually, which is cool:
    "CRT filter: Looks like an old TV, scan lines and all."
    "4:3: Gives you the original NES game look, with a slight horizontal stretch."
    "Pixel Perfect: Each pixel is a perfect square, so you see the games exactly as designed."

Even though I was complaining about not having the ability to add more games, I will probably pick one up. Fortunately some of my favorite NES games are included in the pack.
    It would be very Nintendo of them to release more stand-alone emulation units later on.
  • Nintendo Switch is a day-1 purchase for me. I have a pretty long commute where I spend the majority of my time on a train so playing full console games would be amazing. I game primarily on PS4 now but once Switch is out, I'll be getting the Switch version of 3rd party games if they're available.

New Zelda looks pretty good, too.
This discussion has been closed.