South Park Season 20

edited November 2016 in Other TV
Well, we are over halfway through season 20 of South Park. This is the second season in a row where South Park has adopted continuity between every episode.

I'm a bit torn on this. There have been some great running jokes this season, but a lot of the recurring jokes quickly become repetitive and redundant, like the member berries.

Don't get me wrong, I still am enjoying these seasons. I just feel that South Park is a better show when it limits continuity to two or three episodes, so it can remain more ridiculous, fresh, and topical.

What do you think?

Comments

• Agree. I think it's better when they can tackle different issues and themes each episoderather than trying to make a cohesive story of 10 episodes and still touch on different issues/themes. It feels to me that the continuity is sort of limiting them.
    darwinfeeshy
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Agree. I think when they got too plot heavy I tune out a bit. This recent episode got way too deep into the weeds with Gerald working as a secret agent, contracted by hillary to infiltrate the danish troll center....ehhh too much. 

My favorite episodes are one offs or two parters. I think the jokes get weaker and weaker the longer they linger. I respect the guys for trying something different and arguably much harder to write but....gotta remember the Bard's famous words -  brevity is the soul of wit.
    darwinfeeshy
  • I feel totally different. South Park was getting stale and going serial it breathe life into the show.
    gjulleen
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I am over South Park this season ... it's getting old. I took a break after coon and friends storyline. I'm done for this season, will catch reruns over the spring/summer and start fresh next season.
  • Anybody catch the F bomb at the beginning of this past weeks episode?

Garrison saying " Fucking them all to death" to end his acceptance speech
  • The BILL and BILL stuff was pretty funny too
  • Anybody catch the F bomb at the beginning of this past weeks episode?

Garrison saying " Fucking them all to death" to end his acceptance speech

That was his main campaign slogan.
  • Yea but I dont think CC let them drop a bomb every week or anytime he said it right?
  • I'm not a big fan of the season having 1 single theme.  If you want to do a 2 or 3 part episode (like the GoT Red Robbin Wedding, I'm good with that) but not the whole season.  Granted, after many many years, the show isn't the same as it once was but I think I still prefer the format of doing random episodes with no real continuity between them.

But for this past episode, I give the whole South Park team a lot of credit for having to rewrite or redesign the show because Trump won. 

TaraC73darwinfeeshy
  • edited November 2016
    The Danish troll song is even funnier when you realize it's an actual Danish song.

kingbee67Melia004
  • "Pressing pickle" nuff said
    Brawn
  • I dunno, I thought season 19 was possibly the best season they've made (granted I've probably only watched ~half the series) and it was the first season they went full serial. Season 18 was great too and I think is when they introduced the serial concept, though not as heavily as S19. 

I do agree that season 20 is getting a bit stale, but I think it's just because it's not as good of a season rather than because it's serialized.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I think they're running on empty right now. I think the way things are going they might draw some new inspiration.
  • edited January 2017
    Hopefully the title of the last episode, "The End of Serialization as We Know It" means that South Park will stop having total continuity between episodes.

Season 20 was weak. South Park's style definitely suffers when it tries to create a season-long story. That's not what South Park is geared toward. The only funny part of this season was Butters' penis protests. Everything else was not funny at all or was beaten into the ground.

I hope Matt & Trey stick to 2-3 episodes of continuity, tops.
    aberry89
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited January 2017
    A good college try, but the sharp satire that we know and love got lost in the weeds of a plot that needed to be strung together over ten episodes. Some people loved the serialized seasons; me - I think it not what the show's original purpose was. Serialization is the trend modern TV is going towards yes, but when the show started, it wasn't.  And something that ain't broke for 18 seasons probably doesn't need to be fixed. They bent their unique show to a trend that I think they realized doesn't quite fit their show. Seralization can work for comedy, but it's pretty rare. Hope for better in season 21, lord knows the world will be rife with things and people to satirize...
    darwinfeeshy
This discussion has been closed.