107 - "Trompe L'Oeil"

Director: Frederick E. O. Toye
Writer: Halley Gross & Jonathan Nolan

Comments

• edited November 2016
    Trompe-l'œil (French for "deceive the eye") is an art technique that uses realistic imagery to create the optical illusion that the depicted objects exist in three dimensions.
    ElisacdriveVasilnate1weeniegirlGarrison66
  • Wow the Clementine scene is hard to watch even knowing she is a host, but I did get a bit of kick out of her fighting back the second time.
    Elisaweeniegirl
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    'What door' just after explaining that hosts are programmed to not even see the place if they were standing right in front of it.

Woah. Confirmed.
    MurderbearGredalBeeKingKobrabookappealElisacdriveBrawnVasilnate1phoenyx1023Melonuskand 2 others.
  • one of the theories confirmed! poor Bernard
    ElisaBrawn
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Boom. I knew it! Ol BernieBot is real!
    Elisavoodoorat
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    edited November 2016
    So the host being created in the bunker will be a replacement for Theresa? This is really starting to ramp up
    GredalBee36MickdarwinfeeshyElisaJTKIIIhisdudeness915tpelzyThe HandDancesWithWookiesVasilnate1and 7 others.
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    davemcb said:

So the host being created in the bunker will be a replacement for Theresa? This is really starting to ramp up

Woah, didn't catch that.

Show finally started to turn up the sci fi.
    Elisa
  • Ford warned her not to fuck with him. So now the question is how many Ford-bots are there within Mesa?
    KingKobraElisacdrivetpelzyBrawnweeniegirl
  • cbspockcbspock San Antonio, Texas
    Is ford going to replace her with a host or is the new board rep a host already?
    Elisa
  • BERNARNOLD NEARLY CONFIRMED!!!
    GredalBeeMurderbearElisaGeorgevoodoorat
  • edited November 2016
    Wow! This show keeps getting better and better!
    bookappealElisa
  • BERNARNOLD NEARLY CONFIRMED!!!

Ummm "nearly"? How does that even work? Arnold has continued to be referred in the 3rd person.
  • Hey guys - remember the picture that Ford shows Bernard earlier in the season of Ford and Arnold?  That entire scene can't be taken at face value now.  Bernard can never see anything that hurts him, therefore he never saw Arnold in that picture and neither did we.
    darwinfeeshyElisaken haleThe Hand
  • When Bernard was getting fired, Ford's face was so still I thought he was a host!  

ElisaGeorgevisi0nMelonuskweeniegirlChiefPizza
  • edited November 2016
    KingKobra said:

BERNARNOLD NEARLY CONFIRMED!!!

Ummm "nearly"? How does that even work? Arnold has continued to be referred in the 3rd person.

----------------------------------------------

They conveniently blocked where the name would be in this shot. I think that's what Theresa was referring to when she said, "This is what happened to Arnold, isn't it?"

She saw Arnold's name on the sheet. It's why they conveniently left it out in this shot:

And, knowing what we now know about Bernard, I think Arnold (Bernard) is in this photo on the right, but Bernard just can't see it. This would explain why the photo is off-center:
    Elisahisdudeness915BrawnOldGriswoldGeorgeMelonuskChiefPizza
  • Sometimes I hate the internet think tank. I think tonight's episode would have been mind blowing if the Bernard is a host wasn't discussed so heavily. Saying that, they did it so cot dang well I didn't even care. AH is killing it in his scenes. The look on Theresa's face as she came under the realization that everything she knew was "allowed" and "created" whew. That we know now that Ford controls EVERYTHING allows us to know that he was allowing Theresa to "send data out".

I think the board rep is working with Ford (as he alluded to). She mentieoned the need for a blood sacrifice (but one that wasn't obvious). Ford right before giving the order said the board needed a "blood sacrifice" to return things back to "normal". A little side note, Ford says he doesn't want to "play God", he just wants to tell his stories. In his mind he IS a God, there is no reason to "play".

Thai show (for me) keeps getting better and better. Looking forward to next week.
    Elisaphoenyx1023BrawnMichaelVCassidy
  • is the host being built in the basement lab a theresa replacement? did bernard take out elsie? bernarnold?is the delos rep a host?my head is spinning.
    Elisa
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    So how early can an Emmy be locked? Because I thought Hopkins was killing it this season but holy crap did he bring the house down tonight.
    36MickMurderbearElisacbspockHeisenburgerKingKobracdrivehisdudeness915phoenyx1023The Handand 4 others.
  • When war was declared, his gaze said all that was ever said by anybody and everybody, "I am the creator of worlds, and I will fuck you up!"
    36Mick
  • Area51bob said:

is the host being built in the basement lab a theresa replacement? did bernard take out elsie? bernarnold?is the delos rep a host?my head is spinning.

My guess is you're on the right track. The host that is being built is a Theresa clone and that Charlotte Hale is really a host. Hopefully Elsie isn't dead..... but.:(
    Elisa
  • edited November 2016
    I'll have to watch it again, but I was not impressed with the beat-down Clementine gave to that tech(host). If he had fought back with some pinache, that would have been epic! As it was (as I recall), it was just so much kung-fooey.
  • i wasn't really surprised that bernard was a host--after all the speculation the fact that the tech that started beating on clementine was revealed as a host cleared that hurdle (that we hadn't seen any hosts-incognito) and then of course when he couldn't see the door (the door that we know ford came out of from "nowhere" last episode)--but i was a little surprised that it was revealed now, it felt like the series was going to be a real slow burn and that it would reveal that near the end of the season (along with, i suspect, the extended flashback stuff--now it seems very likely that bernard is a "clone" of the original arnold who we saw with his son briefly in this episode).  

that still leaves the mysteries of the maze and stories of william/dolores/man in black/teddy and i guess wyatt.  oh, and maeve's shenanigans and what happened to elsie, i think (hope) she's okay.  i guess there's still a good bit left to figure out.

why did ford make bernard look like arnold, though?  if he is going to replace teresa with an android version of her (i got that impression as well from the already-printing person-printer and her suspicion that this had happened to arnold before her) so she doesn't just disappear, well, that makes some sense, but if arnold was murdered and replaced with a bernard-as-arnold doppleganger, wouldn't he be programmed to think he was arnold instead of some other guy?  also it doesn't seem to have been a secret that arnold died (even logan knew that), was nobody around pre-delos that noticed suddenly there was a new guy named bernard who looked an awful lot like the recently-dead arnold?  maybe there's an older personality hanging out on the bernie-bot that was the arnold personality.
    BrawnElisa

So how early can an Emmy be locked? Because I thought Hopkins was killing it this season but holy crap did he bring the house down tonight.

Totally agree
    WonderedObject
  • HeisenburgerHeisenburger Detroit, Michigan
    I'm so happy I decided to watch this live tonight instead of The Walking Dead. I think I'll keep doing this from now on.
    36MickvoodooratBrawn

I'm so happy I decided to watch this live tonight instead of The Walking Dead. I think I'll keep doing this from now on.

That's what I did too
    voodoorat
  • edited November 2016
    Damn, this episode was a nice twist, even with the rampant theorizing semi-spoiling it.  It really puts in question, for me, where the show goes moving forward.  With our apparent protagonist, Bernie, an unreliable pawn of Hopkins, and Teresa out of the way, who stands in opposition to Hopkins' agenda? Bernard? MiB? Stubbs? Elsie who?

Regarding Bernard being a host, I'm fine with it except that it raises further questions: Is he "on a loop?" How does his memory/lack thereof work when he's got to remember work stuff from day to day? Why did the picture of Bernie-bot have no sexual organs or nipples and why didn't Teresa see his ken-doll physique as a dead giveaway?
    Elisa
  • edited November 2016
    voodoorat said:

i wasn't really surprised that bernard was a host--after all the speculation the fact that the tech that started beating on clementine was revealed as a host cleared that hurdle (that we hadn't seen any hosts-incognito) and then of course when he couldn't see the door (the door that we know ford came out of from "nowhere" last episode)--but i was a little surprised that it was revealed now, it felt like the series was going to be a real slow burn and that it would reveal that near the end of the season (along with, i suspect, the extended flashback stuff--now it seems very likely that bernard is a "clone" of the original arnold who we saw with his son briefly in this episode).  

that still leaves the mysteries of the maze and stories of william/dolores/man in black/teddy and i guess wyatt.  oh, and maeve's shenanigans and what happened to elsie, i think (hope) she's okay.  i guess there's still a good bit left to figure out.

why did ford make bernard look like arnold, though?  if he is going to replace teresa with an android version of her (i got that impression as well from the already-printing person-printer and her suspicion that this had happened to arnold before her) so she doesn't just disappear, well, that makes some sense, but if arnold was murdered and replaced with a bernard-as-arnold doppleganger, wouldn't he be programmed to think he was arnold instead of some other guy?  also it doesn't seem to have been a secret that arnold died (even logan knew that), was nobody around pre-delos that noticed suddenly there was a new guy named bernard who looked an awful lot like the recently-dead arnold?  maybe there's an older personality hanging out on the bernie-bot that was the arnold personality.
    You're assuming that he made him in the likeness of Arnold (I know this came up before, but I just don't agree). The reason you gave at the end (no one recognizes Bernard as Arnold) is one the the glaring "holes" people would need to fill. This entire thing came from the conversation Ford had with Bernard, but he never said "this is a picture of Arnold".
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    cbspock said:

That's what I did too
    To me it's a no brainer. AMC is way over the top when it comes to commercials.
    voodoorat
  • When we see the Bernie-bot drawing, we aren't shown the name written in the lower-right corner, as was Delores'.  It wouldn't surprise me for it to be a likeness of Arnold.  I just don't know that a host in the likeness of Arnold would retain any Arnold-ness, if that makes sense.  Just because Bernard looks like Arnold doesn't give him the same intellect, character, or motivations as the original, so what difference does it make?
    Rob
    Assuming Ford replaces Theresa with a host, how many people has Ford replaced through the years?
    ElisaDanistamps
This discussion has been closed.