Thoughts about the Charlotte Hale Character

After E7, it's impossible to say that anyone isn't a host. And Charlotte's meeting with Theresa was so... off-putting, that I've seen a bunch of "Charlotte = host" posts and articles. But I have refined (maybe tinfoil hat) version of that theory. What if Charlotte is the consciousness of a much older man put in a young woman's body?

A&J have mentioned in the podcast that the casting for this character is sketchy. She's too young to be the executive director of the board and she act much to savvy for her age. Plus, look at her scene with Theresa. She's acting like a guy... answering the door naked, sitting on the sofa legs akimbo, chowing down on snacks right after sex... She plays it like a guy.

We've been introduced to the concept that a person's consciousness can be implanted into a bot. And that bots can be used to act out sexual proclivities. Why not use a new bot body to satisfy a trans person's wishes. 

We have two episodes left. Anything could happen.

Comments

• I was thinking something like this, but if they want the IP then wouldn't they have it if she was a host? Why try and send it out if they already have a just that that can "plug into" and get all the info the board needs.
  • i couldn't tell if she was not able to pull off the part or if she was shooting for somebody that hadn't earned her position,like the bosses daughter or something.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Well, I don't think you can peg to many things on a woman "acting like a guy".  Since this show is set in the future, presumably gender stereotypes and "norms" will continue to break down. This could very well be a hamfisted attempt to provide that sort of commentary.
    ChiefPizzaThe Hand
  • scott777b said:

We've been introduced to the concept that a person's consciousness can be implanted into a bot.
    When did that happen? All the talk about transferring consciousness from one body to another troubles me. To do that you need a supernatural element which comes down to magic. Having a convincing copy of a human and its mind isn't the same. The original and the copy can co-exist, they are not tied to each other, even when a third person would find them indistinguishable.

It could be that the off-putting Charlotte character served to make Theresa more sympathetic before we see her demise. Except when dealing with Sizemore she always seemed to be conflicted about doing the things she was supposed to do.
  • edited November 2016
    scott777b said:

A&J have mentioned in the podcast that the casting for this character is sketchy. She's too young to be the executive director of the board and she act much to savvy for her age.

I don't think mid-30's is too young to hold an executive position. Assuming (hoping) that by this far into the future, the world has gotten its shit together, and the sexism that keeps women out of such positions is a thing of the past.

I also don't recall anyone balking at similarly-aged Logan and William having their executive jobs. Wonder why?
    scott777b said:

Plus, look at her scene with Theresa. She's acting like a guy... answering the door naked, sitting on the sofa legs akimbo, chowing down on snacks right after sex... She plays it like a guy.

Lol. Or she's just a grown ass woman that likes to fuck. The hedonistic nature of the park is probably right up her alley. And who doesn't like a good snack afterwards??

I don't think this was a particularly well-written scene, but I assumed she was being intentionally off-putting and it was all supposed to be uncomfortable for Theresa given the nature of the conversation.

Sorry, this post made me chuckle a little. I know you didn't mean anything by it, but needing to recontextualize a woman's savvy and sexual behavior to "maybe she's a man!" for it to make sense is a little funny.

KingKobraChiefPizzaElisaThe Hand
  • edited November 2016

Well, I don't think you can peg to many things on a woman "acting like a guy".  Since this show is set in the future, presumably gender stereotypes and "norms" will continue to break down. This could very well be a hamfisted attempt to provide that sort of commentary.

I know this was discussed a little on a different podcast. I wonder if there would be issues if it was an older gentleman. The fact that she looks young (we don't know how old she is) and seems to be in a powerful position on the board seems to be causing some "difficulty". The scene itself (to me) played out as a power move. She showed up to the door naked as a sign of dominance. She also sat "akimbo" for the same reason. While I get why folks are wishywashy on it, for me I could see what they were trying to do. It's not what we see normally, but it still "worked".

Of course much of the discussion is coming from men, so I'd like to hear more women comment on it, to get a different viewpoint.
    phoenyx1023ChiefPizza
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LOL

Hahahaha, my exact reaction (after the initial Futurama-not-sure-if-serious-meme face). But I tried to be diplomatic in my response lol
    Elisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide

Yeah, that's how I took it. Also TV's tropey "tough bitchy female exec" is nothing new.
    ElisaThe Hand
  • All this talk of executives in a robot show made me think of the boardroom scene in Robocop. Do you think the board would notice if Ford replaced Charlotte with Ed 209?

• AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    edited November 2016
    I had no problem with the character, I just think it was acted poorly.  It really stands out as cringe-worthy in a show that features so many incredible performances.

and Charlotte Hale is an anagram for "A Lethal Hector", so she's definitely one of the killer bots.
    The Hand
  • Her actions are bizarre.  Don't think it would be too different if she was male; still bizarre.  

scott777b said:

A&J have mentioned in the podcast that the casting for this character is sketchy. She's too young to be the executive director of the board and she act much to savvy for her age.

I don't think mid-30's is too young to hold an executive position. Assuming (hoping) that by this far into the future, the world has gotten its shit together, and the sexism that keeps women out of such positions is a thing of the past.

I also don't recall anyone balking at similarly-aged Logan and William having their executive jobs. Wonder why?
    scott777b said:

Plus, look at her scene with Theresa. She's acting like a guy... answering the door naked, sitting on the sofa legs akimbo, chowing down on snacks right after sex... She plays it like a guy.

Lol. Or she's just a grown ass woman that likes to fuck. The hedonistic nature of the park is probably right up her alley. And who doesn't like a good snack afterwards??

I don't think this was a particularly well-written scene, but I assumed she was being intentionally off-putting and it was all supposed to be uncomfortable for Theresa given the nature of the conversation.

Sorry, this post made me chuckle a little. I know you didn't mean anything by it, but needing to recontextualize a woman's savvy and sexual behavior to "maybe she's a man!" for it to make sense is a little funny.

• Her actions are bizarre.  Don't think it would be too different if she was male; still bizarre. 

Sure, but the bizarreness of it wasn't what the OP suggested; it was the supposed inherent masculinity of a women being in her position and behaving that way. 
    Elisa
  • I think it was an interesting theory, and I appreciate where op was coming from.

I get that we all want to call out gender biases, I want to see more heroic, less traditionally feminine heroines in my media. However, I don't think there's any fault in pointing out behaviors that are frequently troped to a specific type of guys.

If a male character was doing things that are shorthand for 'female' in typical shows, I think someone pointing it out would seem weird.

I would like it if there weren't any kinds of schenanigans involved and she was just acting non-traditional, but I can't blame people for theorizing around it.
  • I get what you're saying, @akritenbrink, however, I think it's normal to interpret media through the traditional male lens, for many people it has formed the majority of their exposure. I think the op's theory was interesting and that it can't be dismissed just because it's sexist to assume women don't behave that way.

I know that I don't always act stereotypically feminine, but I also know that that is not always reflected in television and movies. Sitting 'akimbo' and prioritizing snacks after sex are frequently used as shorthand for 'male.' There isn't any harm in pointing that out. We could point out its lazy, but not necessarily wrong.

Having said all that, it would be amazing if they made this woman something we rarely see in entertainment, an arrogant, ambitious, lusty woman who plays chess with Ford and maybe even outsmarts him.
    KingKobraphoenyx1023Elisa
  • @akritenbrink a female perspective is exactly what we need more of. Otherwise it often tends to turn into a circleJ of males agreeing with each other ;) while some of us males may be able to empathize, I always find it interesting to hear the "other side". We would also have a largely North American viewpoint which tends to lean heavily on "puritan" values. Hopefully the OP doesn't think we are piling on, but rather just trying to expand the scope of the conversation.

As I said to me, it was a show of power and dominance over Theresa. She was naked and thus technically at her "most vulnerable" but yet still had an air of superiority in the scene. Her actions were purposefully done to make Theresa feel "bad" (body image possibly? (Old vs young) ) and uncomfortable in that scene. She is almsot like a young version of Ford attitude wise.

To me I think the "fitting" end for For would be dying at the hands of his own creation (Dolores). Someone he created to be a stepping stone of humans (Men especially).

phoenyx1023Elisa
  • I'm pretty sure that Charlotte Hale is the crotchfruit of Logan and that both her corporate position and her oddly overindulgent temperament are telegraphing this to us.  I fully expect an 'Uncle William' moment with regards to the Man in Black before the season's out.   Could be wrong but that's my theory, internet points be damned. :)

manhattnikChiefPizzanerdgirl87MelonuskZothor
  • It reminds me of A.Ron's comment about Point Blank and the lady who was fighting naked:  What do you do in that situation?  Where do you look?  I think if a person is confident enough to confront someone completely mother-naked they automatically win.  There was a joke along these lines in Deadpool, where the rock guy was completely dominating an evil mutant, until she had a nip-slip.

If anyone else has seen the BBC's Sherlock, Irene Adler did something like this and called it her "Battle Suit."  It totally threw Sherlock of whom it might be said a character trait is "generally unflappable."  It flapped him.  He was baffled.

I hope there are no tricks with this character.  I hope this entire scene was a power move.  I hope she's not a guy in a robot body, or an android, or anything else crazy.  
    phoenyx1023
  • i'm pretty sure she's a secret targaryen.
    visi0n
  • Theresa's probably shocked first of all that a board member would call her to her room while she's in flagrante with a robot and not give a damn what Theresa hears or sees.  It's not exactly professional.
    KingKobra
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited November 2016
    Charlotte = Charlie?   maybe Charlotte is really Bernard's(Arnold's) Daughter? when programmed Bernard thinks he has a son("everything in the park has some truth to it") Now she would probably know what her father looks like right?, but not if she also a Ford host.  That could also explain her unprofessional behavior in front of Teresa.  When Ford reaches in to Teresa's ear when shes realizing she has no phone signal, and he says "like i said; I built all of this" it makes me think he has more hosts doing things for "The Board". I think everyone is Host except Teresa(not any more) and Elsie.

• visi0n said:

I'm pretty sure that Charlotte Hale is the crotchfruit of Logan and that both her corporate position and her oddly overindulgent temperament are telegraphing this to us.  I fully expect an 'Uncle William' moment with regards to the Man in Black before the season's out.   Could be wrong but that's my theory, internet points be damned. :)

I also think that Charlotte is Logan's daughter. They're personalities are really similar and they haven't revealed Logan's full name and I think that's significant. That would explain her position and her similar views about the park.
    visi0n
  • Everyone knows that Logans last name is Howlett. Plus charlotte can't be Logans daughter because he's white and she's black. I mean duh who would ever believe that even in the future something like that would be allowed to happen eww.
    nerdgirl87visi0n
This discussion has been closed.