108 - "Trace Decay"

Director: Stephen Williams
Writer: Charles Yu & Lisa Joy
Elisa

Comments

• Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited November 2016
    @A_Ron_Hubbard probably knows better than me, but trace is a way developers can find problems in code,  which can be done manually.  what if Bernard( and Elsie to some extent) are Fords way of doing manual tracing?  One is missing, and one has some serious conitive D.= "Trace Decay" 
  • Loved the self player pianos House of the Rising Sun, it suited the scene perfectly. That element of the show has been nailed

Also enjoyed the Lili Simmons (Banshee, True Detective S1) sightings even though I liked Clementine, she could be really good in this show. 
    Elisabrowniefivemanhattnik
  • edited November 2016
    • RIP Elsie :(

• Trace decay is the theory that memory leaves some type of trace, a physical or chemical change, within the brain that begins to decay over time.

• Player piano songs: "House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals and "Back to Black" by Amy Winehouse

• Also, Will = MIB evidence: When the MIB meets Talulah Riley's character he says, "It's you. I figured they retired you. I guess Ford never likes to waste a pretty face." Talulah Riley was the host that greeted and dressed William!!!!
    ElisavoodooratMelonuskweeniegirl
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    edited November 2016
    And the 30 year marriage comment. I'm still rooting against this theory though.

RIP Elsie
    darwinfeeshyKingKobraMelonuskChiefPizza
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited November 2016
    As soon as MIB said that to her it basically cemented that theory in my mind. That was last week's "What door?" moment for me. Crazy!
    cbspockElisaChiefPizza
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Another comment the MIB made that caught my attention was about owning more than one world. Now it's safe to assume he does "own" westworld. Well it's a decent guess at least.
    Could he also be talking about other parks? I know it's most likely not so literal, just couldn't help but get my mind wondering.
  • A cool easter egg: In Lee's workshop, you can see the design for the Wyatt beast costume thing, along with Talulah Riley's character!!

WonderedObjectDummyElisaMelonusk
  • cbspockcbspock San Antonio, Texas
    Westworld -It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma; :p 

So the one time MIB goes black hat he saw something different in the park? He thought he saw a host become a living being 

• bummer about elsie.  :(

i can't be the only one who thought wyatt's men at the end looked a little like the knights who say ni.
    MurderbeardarwinfeeshyTxSandManghm3ElisabrowniefiveZothoralexander.klassenmanhattnikMelonuskand 5 others.
  • This episode had so muxh packed into it, I'm going to have to watch again. Loved the scene where Maeve is the puppet becoming the puppet master. Her cutting the neck of Sylvester, but repairing it with a tool they use to repair the hosts. The looks between Felix and Maeve were quite ominous. Dolores is slowly losing her mind as she can't figure out what is real and what is a memory. Charlotte I believe is getting in over her head. She seems determined to finish her job, regardless of the threats Ford gives.

Side note, Charlotte says that Fords narrative has almost been completed. Yet, we have seen the Wyatt storyline already "implemented". So either her storyline is happening before some of the events we are seeing or Ford has started the narrative before completing it.
    Elisa
  • Assuming the William=MIB is correct, did that little town with the church burn prior to the the park opening? I was getting maybe 3 separate memories/timelines in that section.. Definitely could use a rewatch.
    Elisa
  • TxSandMan said:

Assuming the William=MIB is correct, did that little town with the church burn prior to the the park opening? I was getting maybe 3 separate memories/timelines in that section.. Definitely could use a rewatch.

I think it was buried once Dolores' early part of the timeline was completed where she went crazy and killed everyone

Ford is digging it back up for the Wyatt narrative
    TxSandManElisa
  • TxSandMan said:

Assuming the William=MIB is correct, did that little town with the church burn prior to the the park opening? I was getting maybe 3 separate memories/timelines in that section.. Definitely could use a rewatch.

I assume that the town was buried prior to the park opening, or at least very soon after.
    TxSandManElisa
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    edited November 2016
    Ha, just went back and looked-- the file that Ford used to calm stabbed, bloody Maeve was music called "Reverie" by Debussy  (It's the song that starts playing in the background)
    Elisa
  • Logan was a Host!? He was William's(possibly MIB) first adversary?  

I don't think he's a host, I think he just made peace and joined up with the Confederados.
    KingKobraElisaMurderbearbrowniefive
  • A Lili Simmons hookerbot would bankrupt me in like a day.
    voodooratDummyZothoralexander.klassenMelonuskscott777b
  • ghm3 said:

A Lili Simmons hookerbot would bankrupt me in like a day.

Bone Tomahawk

No, as said above, he just joined the group that he was riding with. The closest copy we have of Logan would be Hector ;)
    We also learned in this episode, the hosts have an explosive in them which prevents them from leaving the park. I guess it would paralyze them if it went off. 
    Elisa
    If we are seeing Dolores in the past where is she in the present?
    ElisamanhattnikMelonusk
  • edited November 2016
    cbspock said:

If we are seeing Dolores in the past where is she in the present?

I think she's retracing the route that she took with William. It would explain the scenes where she is in the same exact spot but the people she is with disappear.

See: images here and here
    Elisaweeniegirl
  • TxSandMan said:

I assume that the town was buried prior to the park opening, or at least very soon after.

Maybe I'm just not remembering correctly, but it's odd that the church steeple seems to be buried at the exact same depth in ep 2 with Ford as it is in this ep when Delores and William are standing in front of it. 30 yrs apart (supposedly) in the desert and no additional sand accumulation?
  • TxSandMan said:

Maybe I'm just not remembering correctly, but it's odd that the church steeple seems to be buried at the exact same depth in ep 2 with Ford as it is in this ep when Delores and William are standing in front of it. 30 yrs apart (supposedly) in the desert and no additional sand accumulation?
    30 years apart in a carefully manufactured, completely artificial theme park.
    ElisaMurderbearvisi0nMelonusk
  • Theory:

William died in the park and was replaced with a host as a cover up. That's why he's emotionally dead inside.

The other hosts are programmed to see him as human, hence they can't kill him.
    cbspockElisa
  • TxSandMan said:

30 years apart in a carefully manufactured, completely artificial theme park.
    Manufactured yes, but not completely artificial. The land is real enough. But maybe Ford has been keeping the steeple top clear over the years, even if it is an abandoned section of the park. It's probably a minor detail. I just found it odd.
  • "I figured they retired you" doesn't really prove anything - William can't be the only guest that host has welcomed to the park over the years or MIB may recognize her from a different role she played.

Speaking of guests recognizing hosts in different roles, why would the park re-cast hosts immediately (like Maeve as a madame in Sweetwater after her homesteader role) when they have hundreds of hosts in storage that are apparently (according to Charlotte) pretty easy to program for new roles? Why keep making new host bodies at all if they aren't concerned about guests seeing hosts in different roles?
  • "I figured they retired you" doesn't really prove anything - William can't be the only guest that host has welcomed to the park over the years or MIB may recognize her from a different role she played.

Speaking of guests recognizing hosts in different roles, why would the park re-cast hosts immediately (like Maeve as a madame in Sweetwater after her homesteader role) when they have hundreds of hosts in storage that are apparently (according to Charlotte) pretty easy to program for new roles? Why keep making new host bodies at all if they aren't concerned about guests seeing hosts in different roles?

The hosts in cold storage are the malfunctioned/decommissioned ones

I see a horror show happening once they "reactivate" Abernathy
    cbspockKingKobraElisavisi0nmanhattnikMelonusk
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.