Timelines in Westword

cbspockcbspock San Antonio, Texas
A really good article that outlines the various story threads we have been seeing and when they take place

Comments

• LukeLuke Central Illinois
    About the church. The church is just a scaffolding of a steeple, in the exact same condition as when Ford saw it earlier in the season, in the Dolores and William scenes. Not as the article you linked claimed as not being underground yet.

This is the crux of the issue I have with people claiming that the William/Dolores arc is in the past. I agree the show is doing things to fuck with our perceptions, but there is no definitive proof and maybe you can't prove it by design.

For example I would argue Dolores and William seeing the church in the exact same state Ford did 100% kills the two timeline theory because it was old Ford in that scene who has interacted with both the MIB and now the same location Dolores and William were in in this episode.

But then you could argue we were just seeing "future" Dolores interacting with a William that isn't there.

And here is why I don't think anyone should get too invested in any theory. The show is willing to lie to you to get that "twist" moment. So you can write all the multiple page articles you want, but at this point even visual evidence doesn't really mean jack.
    phoenyx1023Elisa
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Luke said:

About the church. The church is just a scaffolding of a steeple, in the exact same condition as when Ford saw it earlier in the season, in the Dolores and William scenes. Not as the article you linked claimed as not being underground yet.

This is the crux of the issue I have with people claiming that the William/Dolores arc is in the past. I agree the show is doing things to fuck with our perceptions, but there is no definitive proof and maybe you can't prove it by design.

For example I would argue Dolores and William seeing the church in the exact same state Ford did 100% kills the two timeline theory because it was old Ford in that scene who has interacted with both the MIB and now the same location Dolores and William were in in this episode.

But then you could argue we were just seeing "future" Dolores interacting with a William that isn't there.

And here is why I don't think anyone should get too invested in any theory. The show is willing to lie to you to get that "twist" moment. So you can write all the multiple page articles you want, but at this point even visual evidence doesn't really mean jack.

Unless old ford is a host
    Elisa
  • Luke said:

Unless old ford is a host

That wouldn't prove the 2 timeline theory only muddle it. We've seen footage of a young Ford. Your comment suggests that the Ford we know may have looked the same way 30 years ago which would be asinine
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    edited November 2016
    Why I will be upset if the whole William=MIB theory is true and if more people end up being Hosts is twofold.

One, pretty much half of this season has been spent developing William. If at the end of this season he skins Delores alive I will feel like they wasted half the season telling us the backstory of the MIB that was already told to us in like two lines.

It will be pretty much like William dies. Because there is no more to find out about him. We know he becomes a nihilistic old man who drives his wife to suicide.

It will be like half the season was this red herring dream that didn't really matter to the current plot because in the end it was telling us information we more or less knew by episode 3.

Watch the last season of Rossane for an example of another narrative arc that pulled this bullishit, it doesn't go over well.

The other issue with "everyone is a potential host" is I can quickly see it becoming a crutch much like it was on BSG. My fear is that in Season 4 we will get some lame reveal that some character that they have clearly showed on screen to be human will somehow end up being a Host.

In the end I guess it's a matter of storytelling preference. I don't mind twists, but I hate the modern M night shamalan mystery structure where things get silly real quick in order to have a twist for twist sake.
    Elisa
This discussion has been closed.