What about Elsie!?

Did they seriously kill Elsie off screen? after they gave us a 2 episode cliff hanger!  All we get is 10 second scene of her being choked? Now I know its HBO and if you don't see a bloody corpse(unless your Stanis) the character is probably still Alive.  But I'm not sure how she could have gotten out of that sleeper hold?  I was also really enjoying her character, and Shannon Woodward is a great actress.  It seems like such a waste of talent and a strange cliff hanger.  If she really is gone it will be worse that what they did to Barb in "Stranger Things".  I for one am hoping she found a way out it, but I'm not hopeful.
Elisa

Comments

• cbspockcbspock San Antonio, Texas
    They never retrieved a body, unless Bernard irradiated her. 
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited November 2016
    well she is suppose to be on vacation, which is probably for a few weeks, which is how long Bernard said it takes to make a Host on the older equipment out in Fords cabin.  What if Elsie is the replacement Host that is being made?   
  • It takes a couple of days instead of a few hours.
    Vasilnate1
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I don't think she died off screen. Bernard asked Ford if he had ever had Bernard "Theresa" someone. And then he gets that flash back reverie to him choking Elsie. I took it as Bernard had a reverie of him killing Elsie. Which would mean we just saw her die in that flashback.

Which again to me is a gaping plot hole because essentially what we were showed on screen of Bernard in the HQ taking to her on the phone was a false memory. So essentially any scene in this show is potentially totally fake. Not sure how I feel about that when it's combined with a mystery narrative.
    ElisaDoctor_Nick
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    edited November 2016
    I think the whole point of Bernard remembering that is to set up that he will start to fight back with Ford. Ford claimed that he never had Bernard pull a Teresa on anyone else. Bernard's flashback says otherwise. So I think Bernard will begin to piece together everything and become the next haywire Maeve. 

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 

Ford could be telling the truth. He is smart with his words. He could have had Bernard just knock her out. Like you said, it was a sleeper hold. An intense one at that but still could have just made her unconscious. Maybe his reveries will kick in and he'll save Elsie and the two of them will take down Ford. Who knows with this show. 

Bit of a stretch though to compare her to Barb. I don't understand the Internets fascination with her. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • To me his flashback of him chocking Elsie was real, and happened just before Ford erased his memories when he was trying to remember if Ford pushed him to kill someone else. Maybe he went there on Ford's command after leaving Theresa's place.

So, she may be dead, but on the other hand... What if she was the body that was being made in the basement where Theresa died? That way after her "holidays" she comes back to work and none will be the wiser. Although I wonder how you could explain that to her family & friends.
    KingKobraElisa
  • Luke said:

I don't think she died off screen. Bernard asked Ford if he had ever had Bernard "Theresa" someone. And then he gets that flash back reverie to him choking Elsie. I took it as Bernard had a reverie of him killing Elsie. Which would mean we just saw her die in that flashback.

Which again to me is a gaping plot hole because essentially what we were showed on screen of Bernard in the HQ taking to her on the phone was a false memory. So essentially any scene in this show is potentially totally fake. Not sure how I feel about that when it's combined with a mystery narrative.

Its not like she was on the phone with him while she was attacked. There was an undetermined amount of time that passed when she got off the phone and when she was attack as far as I'm aware
  • Bernard had her in a choke hold with her feet off the floor, her character as a real Human is dead.  They will most likely bring her back as a Robot/android.  If she is found dead so soon after Theresa, that would be a red flag to me.
    Elisa
  • Are we sure that was a flashback from Bernard's POV? Or was it just a show flashback showing us that Ford was lying to Bernard?

I will be sad if Elsie doesn't come back, but I think in making it sound like she's on vacation, they can easily just tell people in a few weeks that Elsie decided not to come back from vacation. She was interviewing for other jobs during her leave, or some such thing. That would be believable and hard to disprove considering they are all in this isolated area.
    It was both. It was just further proof that the erasing Ford and other techs are doing does not work on certain Hosts. Instead of being erased, the memories are "dormant". Bernard specifically had the flashback as a reverie and it also showed that Ford has been lying since he thinks he has wiped the slate clean.
    Doctor_NickElisa
  • I wonder if getting rid of Elsie was part of the re-writes that happened around episode 6 or so when production shut down. That would explain why a 2 episode cliffhanger is seemingly resolved in a ten second flash...IF she's dead, that is.
    Melonusk
  • I interpreted it as Bernard getting off the phone with her. Then, Elsie stayed for some period of time giving Bernard time to go to that location to kill her off.

I'd say she's dead. Yes, if you haven't seen a dead body, then you can't confirm she's dead but I don't think WW will resort to such tactics. Nor do I think they will resort to anagram-ed names. These sort of tactics feel unoriginal and unnecessary. Sometimes a death is a death without the dead body (e.g. MIB killing that child). Indeed, if we find out that he just pulled a sleeper hold, im going to be upset that the dialog and the way the scene were cut heavily implied she was Theresa-ed.

I think what's more material is that Bernard had a reverie of him killing her at the moment that he asks Ford about it and realizes that Ford is a liar. What's also more material is that he remembers things despite Ford's erasing of memories. This sets things up for Bernard to go rogue.
    Elisa
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2016
    Rewatching the episode it's plausible that Bernard grabbed Elsie because we cut from that storyline after B takes E's phonecall. When we get back to E being stalked in the theater, it's an undetermined amount of time later (though Theresa does tell Bernard in the next episode "you left so quickly" - which could indicate he rushed off to talk to Ford - or received instruction from Ford who could presumably be monitoring his conversations, abducted Elsie, had some Robot Treats...who knows?).

BUT I don't think she's dead. Just before the grab E sees something on her screen that makes her react dramatically and we never find out what it is. I don't think they'd just drop that thread.
    Vasilnate1Melonusk
This discussion has been closed.