›

Westworld makes watching the Walking Dead a chore

ThomasThomas North Carolina
I spend the entire week excited for Westworld.  Unfortunately, I have started to look at watching The Walking Dead as a chore.  I read the comics, and have been watching since the first episode, yet I find it tiring and old.  Especially after episode 9 of Westworld.  Anyone else feel that way?
DharmaBotHeisenburgerDegausser24CJwriter

Comments

• ngwils02ngwils02 Louisville, KY
    Yep. Walking dead's dialogue is especially tedious and kills my brain cells on a weekly basis
  • yes, walking dead has become painful, they passed a threshold in viewership that has made them committed to creating content that is easily digested by the main stream, i.e. lots of exposition, repetitive dialogue, and blatant visuals.  and it seems now they are just hoping to to keep the money coming in untill it gets cancelled
  • Walking Dead had me on the ropes after season 2, and I abandoned the show halfway through season 3.
    Vasilnate1
  • cbspockcbspock San Antonio, Texas
    Walking dead lost its watch live status since Westworld has been on
    Brawn
  • I'm enjoying WW but it was TWD that made TWD tedious for me.

I noped after the finale/premiere combo sucked all the energy out of the first Lucille-ing by milking it for so much screen time.

Doesn't dull my memory of the first few seasons. I would recommend any TWD noob to check out along with Shane, or after the Governor at the latest.

tom_gMurderbear
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    I imagine the people who prefer to watch TWD over WW are the same who would put all Michael Bay movies in their top 5 of all time.  TWD is entertaining, just no longer creative or engaging.  I will keep watching it, but I prefer shows like WW.
    Vasilnate1GeorgeMurderbearGarrison66CJwriterDoubleA_RonBrawn
  • Thomas said:

I spend the entire week excited for Westworld.  Unfortunately, I have started to look at watching The Walking Dead as a chore.  I read the comics, and have been watching since the first episode, yet I find it tiring and old.  Especially after episode 9 of Westworld.  Anyone else feel that way?

Well, I've been watching TWD for 7 seasons, but I won't be watching Westworld past its first season. I like the zombie genre, and I have a lot of nostalgia for Darabont-era TWD. I'm already watching Mr Robot and find its plot frustrating enough, but the computer hacking stuff keeps me interested. I'm not invested in Westworld.
    S. Smith
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    I loved the first few seasons, but when the shows quality declined and so many other shows sprouted around it, it was hard to justify wasting my time on some of that ridiculousness.

As soon as they ruined the Govorner's storyline I was 100% out. Too many other examples of great TV shows with better acting, writing, story, directing.
    Elisa
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Yeah, i kinda wish there was a live watch for Westworld instead of Walking Dead. I'd rather see reactions to bombshells than jokes about a barely above average show I just can't seem to quit even though it's actively trying to push me away.
    GeorgeVasilnate1clone56HeisenburgerDegausser24MelonuskCJwriterThomasDoubleA_Ron
  • Yeah, at some point I become the asshole, because I keep coming back for more...fool me once
    DharmaBotCJwriterThomas
  • Yeah, i kinda wish there was a live watch for Westworld instead of Walking Dead. I'd rather see reactions to bombshells than jokes about a barely above average show I just can't seem to quit even though it's actively trying to push me away.

I'm with you however it would be rather difficult I think. TWD you can half pay attention and make jokes. Westworld you sort of need to be fully engaged so there wouldn't be as much chit chat.
    Vasilnate1tom_gMelonuskThomasBrawn
  • The problem is that TWD is completely predictable at this point. 1st episode solves cliffhanger from last season. 6 episodes of filler or of people going over the same fake debates. 1 episode where things pick up and ends on a cliffhanger.
    Steven_SThomas
  • Steven_SSteven_S West Palm Beach, FL
    Agreed! TWD could be so much better with shorter seasons with less filler and less singular focus episodes. The potential is there but the only reason I watch TWD at this point is to listen to the Bald Move podcast.
    mileswarrin
    clone56 said:

Yeah, i kinda wish there was a live watch for Westworld instead of Walking Dead. I'd rather see reactions to bombshells than jokes about a barely above average show I just can't seem to quit even though it's actively trying to push me away.

I'm with you however it would be rather difficult I think. TWD you can half pay attention and make jokes. Westworld you sort of need to be fully engaged so there wouldn't be as much chit chat.
    Yeah, that's very true. I wouldn't want a lot of talking and there are no commercials to unwind for a minute. I guess Jim and A.Ron really do know what's best!
    clone56
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    This is one of the tougher seasons.  Last time I was this irritated with The Walking Dead is when it aired opposite to True Detective season one.  Stiff competition does the show no favors, for sure.

I don't think the Westworld live watch would be much fun.  I could maybe see an Instant Cast.  If we knew Westworld would have been this awesome and TWD been this inconsistent we might have switched tactics.
    CJwriterGeorgeBrawnKela15
  • The 'live watch' switch proposal is taking the focus off of the ball.  Let's keep our attention on the one unassailable fact, and the purpose of this thread . . . the TWD sucks.

Discuss...

btw - Westworld is both too layered and too dense to 'live watch'.
    Vasilnate1Elisa
  • Is it too late to get rid of Gimple before they shoot the second half of the season? Probably need to lock Kirkman in Eastman's cage too!
  • BenBen Melbourne - Australia
    I totally agree, I've made the mistake of watching west world and the walking dead back to back the last couple of weeks, and every week i find myself reaching for my phone within 5 minutes of TWD starting. As Aron says, TWD doesnt stand up well against anything quality 
    CJwriter
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard Weren't you also maybe a little bit irritated last year when S6 part 1 was up against... The Leftovers S2? :) 

Otherwise I would also be tempted for a WW live watch, but at the same time as everyone says maybe it wouldn't be that entertaining, with too much info to process to pay attention to banter/reactions. Plus there isn't any advertising break, right? (I watch from Europe)
  • Is it too late to get rid of Gimple before they shoot the second half of the season? Probably need to lock Kirkman in Eastman's cage too!

Eh, I don't know that'd change anything. I feel like at this point it's clear that the problems with TWD go beyond any one specific person - people were hopeful when they got rid of Mazzara after season 3 and brought in Gimple, but the show was still as inconsistent as ever. There's a whole mess of reasons why this show isn't great, and losing Gimple won't fix them.
    Vasilnate1
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    The only reason I am actively keeping up with TWD is because I don't want to quit now after this many years of watching.  Plus, I don't want to take a season or two off then all of a sudden the writers get good and make an awesome season, then I have to play catch up.
    Murderbear
  • the existence of twd makes me appreciate ww more in spite of its flaws.
    Murderbear
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited November 2016
    Last Sunday was the 1st Sunday I chose to watch Westworld before Walking Dead.  And wow, the juxtaposition was staggering, going from WW S1E9  "The Well-Tempered Clavier" to TWD S7E6 "I SWEAR TO FUCKING GOD!"

TWD has always taken 1st fiddle with me on Sunday nights. Even when they didn't deserve it, like ARon said about True Detective Season 1, but also the Leftovers.

I'm sticking with it though, just because of personal preferences on cheap thrills / guilty pleasures.  I mean, I even still watch FTWD.  FTWD actually got a little better.  FTWD S2 was actually better than TWD S7 so far.  
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Westworld ain't us.  And we ain't them.  And they ain't us.
    S. SmithMurderbearBrawn
    I watch Westworld first simply because AMC has a commercial break every four and a half minutes and I can fast forward through that crap on the ol DVR.
This discussion has been closed.