Why the episode previews are STUPID!!!! What the hell Westworld?

edited November 2016 in Westworld
Well, I made the mistake of looking through a shot by shot analysis of the preview after episode 2!!!! And I'll be darned, I'm a dumbass for it.

You know what was in it? Ford walking away from someone shooting themselves in the head in host storage. So that ruined the ending of the Bernard/ Clem/ Ford scene for me.

Super mild spoilers for next episode:

You know what else is in it? Hector and Armistice naked fighting techs in the lab and Maeve leading leading groups of people through the hallways of Delos. So there goes any surprise I'll get from their "waking up" scenes next episode.

And this was all in the preview AFTER EPISODE 2!!!! I haven't watched any since, and I've still been spoiled.

Comments

• So really, the only one to blame is yourself. Watching a preview and going through a shot by shot analysis are something totally different. Previews aren't meant to be looked at shot by shot ;)
  • cbspockcbspock San Antonio, Texas
    I don't watch the previews, I try to avoid them.

• edited November 2016
    KingKobra said:

So really, the only one to blame is yourself. Watching a preview and going through a shot by shot analysis are something totally different. Previews aren't meant to be looked at shot by shot ;)

I agree that some "spoilers" from the next few episodes are to be expected, but the preview after episode 2 having scenes from the penultimate and ultimate episode? That's ridiculous.
  • KingKobra said:

So really, the only one to blame is yourself. Watching a preview and going through a shot by shot analysis are something totally different. Previews aren't meant to be looked at shot by shot ;)

I agree that some "spoilers" from the next few episodes are to be expected, but the preview after episode 2 having scenes from the penultimate and ultimate episode? That's ridiculous.
    You would only know that AFTER watching those episodes or as you put it "a shot for shot" analysis. If you go looking for "spoilers" guess what, you usually find them ;) I don't even remember the previews shown in episode 2 much less what was shown in previews in the week before last. Personally, IMO if you go looking at shot for shot analysis you want spoilers (that's why I ignore those ;) )
  • edited November 2016
    KingKobra said:

KingKobra said:

You would only know that AFTER watching those episodes or as you put it "a shot for shot" analysis. If you go looking for "spoilers" guess what, you usually find them ;) I don't even remember the previews shown in episode 2 much less what was shown in previews in the week before last. Personally, IMO if you go looking at shot for shot analysis you want spoilers (that's why I ignore those ;) )
    I'm saying that the bummer is that when I get to these scenes, I already know what's going to happen ;) Also, there were many spoilers from the finale, like Hector holding a tech hostage, that were readily apparent even if you're just watching the preview normally ;)The only preview I saw broken down was the one after episode 2, I haven't watched any after that ;) I'm not blaming anyone but myself, I just think it's a little crazy that they had scenes from the finale in a post episode 2 teaser ;) 

I hope people learn from my mistakes and avoid previews from future show ;).
  • Like I said, if you go looking for them, you will find them. I've not read everything you posted (will come back after next Sunday) as I don't want to be spoiled ;)

My original final statement stands though, you really should be mad at yourself for digging so deep ;)
  • I kind of agree with both of you. Frame by framing is a lot of detective work if you don't wanna know whodunnit.
    At the same time, you may not expect official promos to contain anything too spoilery.

I've come to distrust marketing teams' judgement.
  • I liked the Archer preview before the Archer Vice season.  They had him fantasizing and showed a bunch of stuff that really did happen, but a few other scenes that never did.  You were kept off balance by not knowing what was true and not.

If I was a show runner for a show which spoilers are so quested after I would do stuff like that while shooting. (Not real spoilers, stuff I would have done throughout the run of GOT) I would have Sansa show up in Dany's camp and get beheaded.  I would have a shoot with a shirtless Jon Snow sword fighting in King's Landing, while Joffrey screamed for his guards.  I would have Sandor Klegane (the Hound) doing dialogue with a tennis ball leading a spoiler harvester to assume he was having a scene with a dragon.

I guess off topic. :D
  • Yeah this a problem with a lot of HBO shows. The promotional stuff is not done by the people who make the show. It's done by marketing. I think that's the main reason why there sometimes spoilery. Matt Weiner helped make the "Next Time on" previews for Mad Men and they were hilariously vague. 

• AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    I touched a hot stove this morning and now my hand is burned!

So I went to reddit and asked around-- it turns out that our bodies have been burned all over from previous visits to hell.  Stoves, when heated, possess ancient magic that reveals our burned forms to the light of day.

Think I'm going to stay away from hot stoves from now on!
    KingKobrajafo
  • KingKobra said:

KingKobra said:

I'm saying that the bummer is that when I get to these scenes, I already know what's going to happen ;) Also, there were many spoilers from the finale, like Hector holding a tech hostage, that were readily apparent even if you're just watching the preview normally ;)The only preview I saw broken down was the one after episode 2, I haven't watched any after that ;) I'm not blaming anyone but myself, I just think it's a little crazy that they had scenes from the finale in a post episode 2 teaser ;) 

I hope people learn from my mistakes and avoid previews from future show ;).

The problem is most people don't remember the previews from episode 1/2 by the time the finale comes around. You are asking someone to remember details about 2 min clip 8-10 weeks later. While I understand what you are saying, the previews after episode one and two were "weeks ahead" previews,
    Not next week on Westworld. The viewer until those scenes came up would know when they are from. This whole rant started because you decided to watch a frame by frame analysis of a "weeks ahead" preview ;) time to get a septon and do your walk of shame :p
  • edited December 2016
    Ok guys I get it. I am shame.

I'm still mad there were clear shots of scenes from the finale in the post-episode 2 preview, though!

I've learned my lesson.
  • I am so proud to say (Pointless Nerd Point) that I have never watched a preview for upcoming episodes of my favorite show, Game of Thrones. I also didn't watch the ones for Westworld either. I really don't understand why someone would watch the even more revealing This Season on...

I mean, trailers for movies give away everything these days and so do TV shows. Best to wait and be surprised.

But I feel for you, original poster.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I always watch the "next week" but I've never been on Reddit.
This discussion has been closed.