What are you binging right now?

Comments

• Hatorian said:
    Hatorian said:
    MrX said:
    awookiee said:
    I'm quite a ways behind A.Ron on this but I'm finally sitting down and starting The Sopranos for the first time. I've never been big into the gangster/mob genre but I'm 1 season in and definitely enjoying it so far. I really wish there were a solid spoiler free podcast to listen along with but that just means I'll get through the series faster. 
    I am so jealous that you are experiencing that for the first time. Take your time with it, I'd say. It is a very binge-able show. But also does a cool thing that lots of shows don't. It manages to tell self-contained stories in each episode, while also furthering the larger season-long stories. Some of those smaller stories will have huge ramifications. Others just drift off, but it is entertaining as hell. Still my favorite series despite it being early through the gate of Golden Age television. 

That's why I love re-watching the Sopranos (I think I'm on my third rewatch now) - it's super bingeable, but that episodic structure also makes it easy to take a break and catch back up a month later if that's the mood I'm in. I think that's the reason I've returned to it more frequently than a show like Breaking Bad, which I perhaps enjoyed more during it's first run, but I don't feel as compelled to revisit that often, because once you commit you're kindof locked in for the duration.
    Hmm. I like the way you frame this. I’ve never seen it and have always felt it too daunting. If this is the case and I can step away when I like and not get lost, then that changes the game. 

The only daunting thing is the beginning, in all honesty. I bailed once because I was having a hard time keeping all the characters and names right. There are lots of folks thrown at you. But you eventually catch on. 

In a way the storytelling and episode structure is similar to Mad Men. Mad Men had an ongoing narrative, but would have a Pete and Peggy-centric or Betty-centric episode to tell smaller stories giving everyone more character. Mathew Weiner cut his teeth on Sopranos, after all. 
    In the first episode there’s 2 dudes named pussy. I think…
    Yep. Big and Little Pussy. They weren't making it easy on the viewer even from the start. 
    Ha! Folks often talk about how influential The Sopranos was on the Golden Age, but who knew one of its impacts was going about a season before viewers could sort all of the characters out? I'm having flashes of The Wire and Game of Thrones right now.

As for binging, I've started Tales From the Loop on Amazon. Pretty moody science fiction show, thus far exploring some smaller, more personal aspects of the human condition. I wouldn't call it essential viewing, but it's interesting so far. I have enjoyed wondering what sci-fi trope will be the driving force of each episode's conflict. 
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Channel Zero: Candle Cove - I love Channel Zero seasons 2 and 3 but until I got Shudder it was just too much trying to find ways to watch it so I never got around to 1 or 4. I've heard a ton of mixed things about Candle Cove but 3 episodes in I'm loving it. CZ is by far the best horror TV show and I kind of wish it had been picked up by someone other than Syfy during it's run so it could have gotten more exposure.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    That's a show I keep meaning to try out since I am a horror junky. Thanks for the reminder. Shudder is the best deal out there as far as streaming services go. Unless you despise horror, then it is pretty useless. 
    bizmarkiefader
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    That's a show I keep meaning to try out since I am a horror junky. Thanks for the reminder. Shudder is the best deal out there as far as streaming services go. Unless you despise horror, then it is pretty useless. 

It is SO good. The consensus from people I've talked to is they seem to like season 3 the best but season 2 really grabbed me in a way none of the other ones have so far. I would recommend checking it out in some order of 2/3 -> 1 -> 4 unless you're sure you're going to watch all of them and just start with 1.
  • In the midst of watching the below…

Reservation Dogs Fx or Hulu
    really good. Hanzee in a comedic role is amazing. The spirit guide is really good as well.

akwafina on hbo 
    first season with the wife. Love the grandma. My wife is Asian so a lot of it hits home for her. 

Sopranos on hbo
    yea finally got into it. On episode 7 now. The mother is hilarious. 

Honestly though I’m just waiting for What we do in the shadows next week
  • edited August 27
    It seems to be the time for those of us that never watched The Sopranos to finally watch it. There was a different thread someone mentioned they just started it, I started it probably a month or 2 ago. I think part of it is A.Ron talking about finally starting it, part of it is we're in a time with not a ton of quality TV, and part is a movie coming out based on the series. The last one was my final push over the hill to get me going. 
    Hatorianrkcrawf
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited August 27
    Yea. There’s 3 of us I think. I should finish S1 by this weekend. It’s a lot funnier than I thought it would be. Which is great. 

Edit: my reason was simply nothing “prestige” else is on. Everything is pulp like Lasso, R&M, etc
    awookiee
  • awookiee said:
    It seems to be the time for those of us that never watched The Sopranos to finally watch it. There was a different thread someone mentioned they just started it, I started it probably a month or 2 ago. I think part of it is A.Ron talking about finally starting it, part of it is we're in a time with not a ton of quality TV, and part is a movie coming out based on the series. The last one was my final push over the hill to get me going. 

I think ARon is up to season 4 or 5 - he's discussed it a few times on OTC. I'm guessing he's trying to finish before "The Many Saints of Newark" comes out.
  • Hatorian said:
    Yea. There’s 3 of us I think. I should finish S1 by this weekend. It’s a lot funnier than I thought it would be. Which is great. 

Edit: my reason was simply nothing “prestige” else is on. Everything is pulp like Lasso, R&M, etc

You should check out The White Lotus, just had a nice 6 episode run on HBO and filled that "Sunday night prestige" slot nicely for me (it's one of those shows that straddles comedy and drama).
    HatorianFreddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    MrX said:
    Hatorian said:

You should check out The White Lotus, just had a nice 6 episode run on HBO and filled that "Sunday night prestige" slot nicely for me (it's one of those shows that straddles comedy and drama).
    I'm on episode 3 now, and liking it quite a bit. Can't call it prestige though. Nothing with Jennifer Coolidge in it is "prestige":

MrX
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I've had a lot of stress lately (work, emptying mom's house since she went to senior living, etc) and haven't had a lot of free time to myself lately.  Today, I finally took a 'me' day and did absolutely nothing except laundry.  Needing good laughs, so I'm rewatching Ted Lasso from S1E1.  It's just as good the second time around.
    CretanBulllengmoChinaski
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Evil, season 2 - This season is more engaging than the first so far but also problematic in that some weird things happening to the main characters aren't explained.  Main reasons I keep watching are 1) engaging main cast and 2) the premises of each episode are almost always inventive even if the execution usually fails to fully deliver.
  • lengmo said:
    Evil, season 2 - This season is more engaging than the first so far but also problematic in that some weird things happening to the main characters aren't explained.  Main reasons I keep watching are 1) engaging main cast and 2) the premises of each episode are almost always inventive even if the execution usually fails to fully deliver.
    Didn't they do that in the first season, too? Ben's misadventure with that not-Alexa speaker comes to mind. 
  • My wife and I have been watching Atypical on Netflix and it's just goddamn delightful. Bursting with charm, even when their road gets bumpy I just love all of these characters so much (particularly all of the kids). It's a really well balanced dramady. Really well written, perfectly cast. I can't say enough nice things about it.

We also binged Netflix's The Chair in one sitting (only 6 eps). It's quirky and really thought provoking. In essence, different generations butting heads and everyone looks both justified and arrogant/foolish (though I suppose you're mostly meant to empathize with the 30-50 lot because that's the main character perspective, but if you open your mind to each side and watch the whole thing, cases are made). It plays on a kind of perfect scenario for the quandary. Another really well cast, well written one. It's not a perfect story and has its oversimplifications/perhaps a little overly yada-yada'd on certain items, but it's hard to discuss without spoilers. Anyhoo, ultimately it's a really good watch.

Dee
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    jluzania said:
    Didn't they do that in the first season, too? Ben's misadventure with that not-Alexa speaker comes to mind. 
    Could be; I don't remember all the beats of that episode.  Season 2 they have ramped up the weirdness.

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited August 30
    Down to just the final episode of Hacks!

I’ll put this behind a spoiler but I want to thank Hacks for inspiring me to…

learn how to play Jurassic Park on piano. I don’t know why it tickles me so much but it’s just a hilarious thing to have in your back pocket say at a hang out at a friend’s house or a hotel lobby. That scene had me laughing so hard.   :D

TravisTeresa from Concord
  • @cdrive You're totally right. Ha! That got me pretty good too.
    cdrive
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Travis I liked Atypical a lot. I liked the surrounding characters more so than the family
    themselves - all of whom could be a bit obnoxious at times. My favourites were Paige, Evan and of course, MVP Zahid. 
    Travis
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    @Travis I watched the first episode of The Chair and liked it. It’s interesting and funny and I see myself at times. I’m particularly tuned in to the generational biases. 

On a personal level I really hate when people generalize that something new isn’t liked by older peeps because baby boomers don’t get it. Perhaps it’s just because the new thing sucks. I won’t continue because this isn’t the “what grinds my gears”thread. 
  • Around 40% of the times that Evan completes a scene my wife and I just look over at each other and say "Evan is the best!" I love all three of them too. Zahid is amazing. Paige too. Since I'm so bought into the show, I get pretty wrapped up in how wonderful she is with Sam. Warms this iceberg heart. I like the family kids as well. I honestly like everyone. I've even enjoyed JJL and Rappaport's characters grow over time. I am so bummed that it's cancelled (just searched it and found out a couple of hours ago). I could spend a ton more time with those people (at least for as long as the writers could crank out episodes of that quality).

I still have the final season left to go at least, but I'm so bummed that it means only 10 more to go, ever. Sucks.

Dee
  • @Travis I watched the first episode of The Chair and liked it. It’s interesting and funny and I see myself at times. I’m particularly tuned in to the generational biases. 

On a personal level I really hate when people generalize that something new isn’t liked by older peeps because baby boomers don’t get it. Perhaps it’s just because the new thing sucks. I won’t continue because this isn’t the “what grinds my gears”thread. 

I can dig that. It does suck. I guess I don't see so much of it because I mostly just use the internet to talk music with people with an approximate median of my age and those gaps just don't come up much, but I can tell you that those stereotypes are not my experience with older folks. Sure there is a good portion of older people that I know that aren't terribly interested in now when it comes to culture and technology, but I honestly know very few curmudgeons. Lack of interest and "not getting it" are very different things. Plus, even that is soaked in generalization. Ultimately, we like our big boxes a little too much. That's for sure.
    Teresa from Concord
  • On part 3 of my mega-FX binge for Justified, The Shield, and Sons of Anarchy. I'm on S4 of Sons of Anarchy. I liked the first two seasons a lot. I'm still entertained (esp by the finale of S3), but there is a pattern of characters lying/concealing things to create drama when the honesty obviously would work better. I know it happens on a lot of shows, but it keeps happening with the same 4 characters on Sons. Otherwise, it's a very good show, but not in the same league as The Shield and Justified. I do love that actors from all 3 shows plus Deadwood and Lost seem to pop up!
    TravisFreddy
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited September 8

Is anyone else watching the new Steve Martin, Martin Short, Selena Gomez thing, Only Murders in the Building? My wife and I did the first 3 last night and it's very fun. As would be expected, it's pretty charming and hits that sort of dry Steve Martin thing pretty solidly. Some fun people have popped up, Worth a spin in my book.

We're also finally getting around to the Golden Face Prequil Season 2 (Jack Ryan) and I've really enjoyed that so far as well. It has a clear thing it sets out to do (action with a lot of moving parts and  a super smart and determined center) and so far it's doing it really well. 

Finally, we finished our more casual rewatch of People of Earth and I forgot how it ended and goddammit. Really good show that apparently thought it had Season 3 on lock, but functionally did not. I really hate it when shows end on cliffhangers. Either way, great show and definitely worth the watch, I would just go in knowing that it ends on a pretty big cliffhanger.

cdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    @Travis we’re watching this too.  So fun. There was a great interview on Colbert’ show last night.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KQLnpn4pHmY

I love the OG story and clip that starts around 1:50.  And how Steve Martin says OG cracks me up. Those ol’ grandpas are so adorable together. 
    Travis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited September 8
    Travis said:

Is anyone else watching the new Steve Martin, Martin Short, Selena Gomez thing, Only Murders in the Building? 

Yes, me! 

Travis
  • S.O.Z: Soldiers or Zombies - Season 1 (Amazon Prime) - A US Army researcher is trying to make a super soldier serum.  A drug lord escapes prison to a remote ranch.  These stories collide.  I found this mostly entertaining despite the B-level quality of some of the performances, effects, dialog, etc.  Also the season could have been an episode or two shorter. 

Also also, just to avoid disappointment:

The season ends on a big cliffhanger.

(Mexican Spanish and some English with English subtitles only for the Spanish)

• James May Our Man In Japan - Saw this recommended in another thread about Clarkson's farm which I couldn't get into but this show is really fun. I was expecting a much more straight forward informational type of series but instead the producers seem to be finding ways to put him with the goofiest people they can find and do interesting things around the country. Of all the Top Gear presenters I wouldn't have expected May to be the one I actually like his solo show.
  • Season 3 of Shrill was pretty good. A little bit all over the place, but good.

My wife watched Lucifer and I caught points within the show and the whole back half or so of the last season. I'm actually curious to go back and see more of it. It was a lot of fun. Not perfect, but charming and fun. I will say that I hate the decision that they made about how the proverbial plane was to be landed. Absolutely hated it, but that said they executed the incredibly poorly thought out decision well.

Ted Lasso has it's own thread, but that's what we're on now and I have an appetite for it much like a starving jackal. I seriously haven't seen that much heart and awesome celebration of friendship since Parks and Rec.

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Sky Rojo - A Spanish drama about three sex trafficking victims escaping their brothel and pimps. This show is off the wall awesome, but by no means for the faint of heart. It was actually recommended to me by a girl I've been talking to, and now I'm pretty sure she's luring me in to kill me. Lol. Seriously though, I haven't been this instantly hooked on a show in a long time. Really surprised I haven't ran across it sooner.

• Midnight Mass - We got through this in a weekend, it was really good. It's a pretty slow burn, especially in the beginning, so don't expect The Conjuring or anything in terms of horror elements. It's very focused on the characters and how they're dealing with the struggles of their lives and this struggling small fishing town. If you like Hill House or Bly Manor or any of the other stuff Flanagan has done it's a no brainer.
    cdrivekingbee67