The Young Pope 102 - "Second Episode"

More warning signs for me. I'm very confused as to what Lenny's motivations/ambitions are. I thought the dream homily from episode 1 were his true feelings? But now I guess not? 

We're only 1/5th of the way through the series, though.

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Agreed,  I thought they moved a bit too quickly shifting around some people's loyalties on this one.  It'll probably be worth it if the rest of the season is tight, but if there is a bit of flag I feel like this is one thing I'm going to moan about.  Or maybe the Pope will have an actual mental illness, but you gotta wonder how a guy like that gets elected Pope.
  • They did start to explain how he made his ascension in episode 2. Both him and his "brother" (who Mary said to call her mom) were groomed from a young age to be power players (his brother is a cardinal). It seems that her orphanage was like a "superstar" school because of its connections. He was "rash", but as we can see has ideals that would most likely appeal to the "conservatives/hard core" Catholics and is very intelligent. Let's not forget he's quiet good at getting information and reading people (which would also help him take down his rivals). Now that he is Pope he is in his IDGAF mode (yet still seeks approval of sorts from his parent figures). It wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to be a megalomaniac. Someone who was once "thrown away" is now one of the most powerful people in the world (that's just crazy to begin with).
    pavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    The episodes were originally aired in Europe as dyads, so the premiere was bookended by Lenny's dream homily that was nightmarish to him but miraculously beautiful to his worshippers, whereas the true homily was the reverse. I don't know if his election will ever be explained; otherwise, why would Voiello be looking for dirt on him? It appears that the conclave may have elected him instead of Spencer because they assumed Lenny would be their puppet.

Lenny's crisis of faith makes sense when you realize the depth of his abandonment issues. I felt sorry for him when he reverted to a little child with Spencer. ("You're hurting me.") Lenny knows Banksy and Daft Punk, but the best line was, "I have to have my snack now." The myriad expressions on Jude Law's face -- she may as well as said it was time for a story and a nap.

DoubleA_Ron
  • @pavlovsbell I knew there was something different about what I saw earlier when I 1st watched the 2 episodes.
  • Yeah I'm having a tough time following various character's motivations for what they are doing on screen. Lenny seems a bit reactionary and childish.. I think a little more insight on how he became pope is needed.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited January 2017
    @TxSandMan   Lenny is absolutely reactionary and childish. He is young both literally and emotionally. I don't need to know how he was elected. I think it is clear from the beginning that this show is reality-adjacent, to borrow a Bryan Fuller turn of phrase. But if they do explain it, that's cool, too.

@KingKobra  Did you see the original broadcast in Europe? Is that what you mean?
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    In regards to around the 14 minute mark of the podcast: "The killer was the Kangaroo in the Garden with the Voice of God."
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • @TxSandMan   Lenny is absolutely reactionary and childish. He is young both literally and emotionally. I don't need to know how he was elected. I think it is clear from the beginning that this show is reality-adjacent, to borrow a Bryan Fuller turn of phrase. But if they do explain it, that's cool, too.

@KingKobra  Did you see the original broadcast in Europe? Is that what you mean?
    1st couple episodes only, I believe either 2 or 3 was where I dropped off and decided to wait.
  • I binge watched the show last year. I would say this was my least favorite episode by far. It makes sense that they grouped them together. Just don't give up. It gets better lol. 
  • Was anyone else confused by the revelation that Lenny doesn't know his parents?  That confused the hell out of me because I thought it was extremely clear in the first episode that Sister Mary was his mother, that Young Pope knew this, and that this "secret" was what Viola's digging would uncover.  I know from the podcast that Aron got that impression from the first episode, as well, and frankly I don't see how anyone didn't, based on the way that scene of their meeting was portrayed. 

If you knew from the jump that she wasn't his mother, please tell me why someone would greet a strange nun for the first time by asking "Mama?" and why she would shush him like it was a bad thing?    That scene baffles me, not to mention the other kid they showed in episode two, who IS allowed to call her ma.  Is that her son, too?  I sure thought so.
    Dummy
  • The episodes were originally aired in Europe as dyads, so the premiere was bookended by Lenny's dream homily that was nightmarish to him but miraculously beautiful to his worshippers, whereas the true homily was the reverse.

The first homily was "miraculously beautiful?"  Everyone in his dream-crowd  of worshipers looked like they were about to start crying when he told them to masturbate from time to time.  So, he disappointed them first in his dream, and then again in real life, just for completely different reasons.
    ceburaska
  • edited January 2017
    ken hale said:

Was anyone else confused by the revelation that Lenny doesn't know his parents?  That confused the hell out of me because I thought it was extremely clear in the first episode that Sister Mary was his mother, that Young Pope knew this, and that this "secret" was what Viola's digging would uncover.  I know from the podcast that Aron got that impression from the first episode, as well, and frankly I don't see how anyone didn't, based on the way that scene of their meeting was portrayed. 

If you knew from the jump that she wasn't his mother, please tell me why someone would greet a strange nun for the first time by asking "Mama?" and why she would shush him like it was a bad thing?    That scene baffles me, not to mention the other kid they showed in episode two, who IS allowed to call her ma.  Is that her son, too?  I sure thought so.

*raises hand* I didn't think she was his mother, ever. We had the drop off scene with him where she said "call me mom", also nuns are sometimes referred to as "mother". His "brother" on the other hand was greeted and told to call her "Sister Mary" (he called her momma 1st). Might have them switched, but since both were raised my Mary and the priest (sorry names escapes me atm. She WAS literally their mother figure growing up. This doesn't stop the fact that he is still looking for his birth parents and wondering why they dropped him off and didn't want to see him again (this action can lead to lifelong emotional scars).

Maybe people were taking notes, but I believe they have shown BOTH of the "brothers" adoption scenes when they 1st met Mary. These were key scenes for how their interaction with Mary is.
    Michelle
  • So the first boy she arbitrarily wouldn't allow to call her mom and the second she would? 
    I believe you in your analysis, but I still just think it's really bad writing in the show.
  • @KingKobra I thought she was his biological mother too. They should have placed both scenes in the same episode. It would have saved a lot of confusion. 
  • edited January 2017
    ken hale said:

So the first boy she arbitrarily wouldn't allow to call her mom and the second she would? 
    I believe you in your analysis, but I still just think it's really bad writing in the show.

We don't know if the was arbitrary or not because we don't know her motivations. We know she looks at both as sons, but seems to be more motherly of Lenny. The Cardinal seems much more independent. Of course when you think about it, both Mary and Michael raised both children and are now in a unique position of power and influence.

These of course are all JMHO and how I saw the show depicted. This seems to be long form, so I can wait patiently regarding some things being discussed.
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    edited January 2017
    @ken hale I always thought it was an orphanage and Lenny was just a confused and scared boy crying out for any "mama" and never assumed a biological relationship (it also would've been so taboo at the time she would've been shunned away and the boy never to see her again I presume, instead of allowed to be together at a catholic orphanage). I think Sister Mary shut him down bc she wasn't ready for that kind of title or relationship and by the time Lenny's "brother" is dropped off she's opened up to being in a more defined maternal role. Also it's telling that the call me Sister Mary introduces a more formal relationship which is exactly what Lenny as Pope rails that poor serving woman about episode one.
    KingKobra
  • I liked episode 2 more than episode 1.  The unnecessary artistic flourishes of the first episode were replaced with more substance while still maintaining a clear sense of style.  The foundation was laid out in the first episode, but this one did more to advance the story.

The scene where he asks the Cardinal if he's gay then very obviously/awkwardly reaches for his 'emergency' button was hilarious.

KingKobra
  • @CretanBull the best part was the "it's time for your snack"....
    CretanBull
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    That fire and brimstone speech with Law in silhouette did a pretty fantastic job of walking a tightrope between being a ludicrous Monty Python sketch (that laser pointer though!) and being somewhat haunting. Not seeing the Pope's face and being yelled at is something I could easily see being in a random nightmare I had as a kid. 

I am really loving this show. When I saw that the second episode had dropped, I hoped they were just going to be doing a daily episode. I can't wait to see whats next. Is it the best thing I've ever seen? Absolutely not. But it is gorgeous to look at and entirely entertaining. 
    Steven_S
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited January 2017

I liked episode 2 more than episode 1.  The unnecessary artistic flourishes of the first episode were replaced with more substance while still maintaining a clear sense of style.  The foundation was laid out in the first episode, but this one did more to advance the story.

The scene where he asks the Cardinal if he's gay then very obviously/awkwardly reaches for his 'emergency' button was hilarious.

Yeah, I kind of liked this one better as well, it was much more of a cohesive story and less just weird and/or artsy stuff although there were some sort of hairpin character turns--they were a little much but I didn't really feel like I knew why the characters were doing anything anyway so I guess I didn't find it unbelievable, and I can ignore the kangaroo.  Most of the characters seem to have weird and unclear motivations.  Overall I'm more on board after the 2nd episode than I was after the first.

The music tricks me every time when it starts playing the "someone's about to get killed or something otherwise horribly shocking is about to happen" beat and nothing much happens.  It's like someone's hacked my pop culture brain.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited January 2017
    What are the odds on Pope Lenny cuts someone for pleasure/discipline by the end of the season?
This discussion has been closed.