89th Academy Awards Official Nominations

edited January 2017 in Movies
http://oscar.go.com/nominees

La La Land wins everything.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This might be the worst year for Oscars in a long time. 
    Hatorian
  • My thoughts/opinions...

Lion - a 'good' movie, with obvious flaws, plot holes and very questionable character motivations.

Moonlight - objectively a borderline bad movie, but its important subject matter raises it above that.  A very ordinary movie that deals with an important subject in a somewhat new way.  It's an "ok" but important movie.

Arrival - a good movie, but at no point while watching it did I think "this is the best movie of the year".

Hell or High Water - a good movie, but same as Arrival. 

Manchester by the Sea - not bad, but long and dreadful.

I haven't seen the others, but for these five I'd say to anyone that if they catch your fancy - watch them.  But I wouldn't try to convince anyone to watch any of them if they weren't already interested.  None of them are "must see" in my book.

Lion - a 'good' movie, with obvious flaws, plot holes and very questionable character motivations.

Moonlight - objectively a borderline bad movie, but its important subject matter raises it above that.  A very ordinary movie that deals with an important subject in a somewhat new way.  It's an "ok" but important movie.

Arrival - a good movie, but at no point while watching it did I think "this is the best movie of the year".

I haven't seen the others, but for these five I'd say to anyone that if they catch your fancy - watch them.  But I wouldn't try to convince anyone to watch any of them if they weren't already interested.  None of them are "must see" in my book.

So what do you think was the best film of the year?
  • Glad to see so many nods for Hacksaw Ridge. Haven't seen Moonlight, but that will win best picture. You can take that to the bank.
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    So far I've seen 7/9 so I'm pretty happy with myself. Even the two I didn't see I've heard nothing but good things.
    All of them were great and I think this was a pretty great year for movies. This upcoming year might be a classic though.
    Id be pretty content with any of them winning but I'm rooting Manchester and La La Land.

I really don't know.  I can't recall seeing a movie that really blew me away this year.  I suppose that have to pick the best from what's available but IMO (from what I've seen) what's available doesn't really hold up well.  I liked Deadpool a lot, but I'd lump that in with Arrival, Hell or High Water, Rogue One, The Founder, Jackie (and a few others) as 'good movies' but not something that I'd rave about.

I liked The Lobster a lot, was that this year or last?

I think 2016 was the year of good by not great movies....

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited January 2017

My thoughts/opinions...

I think Fences should get it.

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA

My thoughts/opinions...

2016. It is nominated for Best Original Screenplay.
    CretanBull
  • I don't get the La La Land love.  And I love Emma Stone for some reason.
    Doctor_Nick

2016. It is nominated for Best Original Screenplay.
    Nice!  That was probably the best of the "good not great" movies that I saw last year.  I liked it as I was watching it, and in the days after it continued to resonate with me and I liked it more once it kicked around in my head for awhile.  Ex Machina had the same effect on me...thought it was good as I watched, liked it even more a week later.
    TheEconomist
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited January 2017

This might be the worst year for Oscars in a long time. 

I agree. It's a weak year for just about every category. None of the movies or actors really stand out. I also don't know how Viola Davis can possibly be considered a supporting actress when she's the only woman in that movie. That reeks of desperate attempt to win an award.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    It seems that all Meryl Streep has to do these days is put on a funny accent and they throw a nomination her way, Florence Foster Jenkins was beyond ordinary.

As for the rest of the Best Actress nominees, I have yet to see Loving or Elle, but for me Natalie Portman is the stand out candidate. I saw Jackie a few days ago and I'm still thinking about how amazing she was, the film in general is outstanding too I'm surprised it didn't get more love this season.
    TheEconomist
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Meryl Streep is massively over-rated. She's a scenery chewing ham and she over-acts terribly. Her accents are ridiculous. It baffles me that she is so worshipped.
    OldGriswoldTheEconomist
    Dee said:

Meryl Streep is massively over-rated. She's a scenery chewing ham and she over-acts terribly. Her accents are ridiculous. It baffles me that she is so worshipped.

When she's good, she's incredible, but all actors produce middling performances in their careers and unfortunately for her the cult of admiration that surrounds her is at such a level that she gets nominated for silly things like Florence Foster Jenkins and Into The Woods.

The last film that she really blew me away in was August: Osage County, but you're right, it was still a scenery chewing performance, just one that I happened to love lol!
    Dee
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Surprised Silence is not nominated for best picture, thought it was phenomenal. Also surprised by Arrival - it's nice to see sci-fi in the academy, although I know it's there solely because of the director's previous work. 

Lala Land was great - but best picture of the YEAR...??? Don't understand all the oscar buzz around this one. 

Really torn for best actress - between Naomi Harris in Moonlight and Viola Davis in Fences...damn that's a hard one.

It's too bad the structure of Moonlight sort of robbed the three actors who played the main charachter for any oscar nomniations - because all three deserve nominations at least. 
    DaveyMac
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited February 2017
    Harrison Ford might sing at the Oscars in tribute to Carrie Fisher.  I dont typically watch the Oscars, but this might be a reason to.  Im already tearing up thinking about it.
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited February 2017
    I was also surprised about Silence not getting any love at all. I thought it was a super impressive, rather understated film. And quite unlike anything else that came out in 2016. It was amazing in the theater.
    TheEconomist
  • 8/9 down (have to see Hacksaw before the Oscars this weekend)

I think it's safe to say Moonlight is the best film, but La La Land taking it wouldn't surprise or anger me. Seen it twice and it holds up for me, not really interested in any hoop la surround it's popularity. Hell Or High Water was my other favorite of the bunch.
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    ksa1001 said:

8/9 down (have to see Hacksaw before the Oscars this weekend)

I think it's safe to say Moonlight is the best film, but La La Land taking it wouldn't surprise or anger me. Seen it twice and it holds up for me, not really interested in any hoop la surround it's popularity. Hell Or High Water was my other favorite of the bunch.
    I too have seen 8/9. I'm missing Manchester by the Sea but I don't understand how it's safe to say Moonlight is the best film. It's certainly one of the best pictures and it has an interesting storytelling structure and great performances but I wasn't necessarily blown away by the direction or screenplay. But that's my bias: cinematography and screenplay. It's why I loved Nocturnal Animals and was disappointed it didn't nab that 10th spot.

To defend La La Land I think it excels in pretty much all major facets of cinema. Direction, Production design, cinematography, screenplay, acting performances, costume design and score.

The aforementioned is why I also hold Hell or High Water in high regard.
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    amyja89 said:

Dee said:

When she's good, she's incredible, but all actors produce middling performances in their careers and unfortunately for her the cult of admiration that surrounds her is at such a level that she gets nominated for silly things like Florence Foster Jenkins and Into The Woods.

The last film that she really blew me away in was August: Osage County, but you're right, it was still a scenery chewing performance, just one that I happened to love lol!
    Meryl Streep got an Oscar nomination because she made that Trump speech at the Golden Globes for her lifetime achievement award. This particularly irks me because she stole a slot from Amy Adams for Arrival or Nocturnal Animals. Superior work in both.

• Dee said:

THANK YOU
    Vasilnate1Dee
  • amyja89 said:

Dee said:

Meryl Streep got an Oscar nomination because she made that Trump speech at the Golden Globes for her lifetime achievement award. This particularly irks me because she stole a slot from Amy Adams for Arrival or Nocturnal Animals. Superior work in both.

It wasn't even a particularly good nor insightful speech. There was no risk for her saying things that had been said by many people before her, especially given how highly regarded she is. It's not like she's going to miss out on roles because she said the POTUS was mean to someone.
    TheEconomist
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Well once again, not on purpose, I have found myself having seen none of the films nominated in any category haha. I really want to see Hidden Figures and Lion, some of the foreign films and 20th Century Women, and I want to know when Dev  Patel became hot. I will definitely watch the Oscars though-I always watch all the red carpet coverage and awards shows and eventually tend to see the films when they come out on video.

Dude Dev Patel GLOWED UP.  I had a crush on him since Slumdog because he was lanky and adorable. But jesus - what a beard and long flowing locks will do to a man. turn a boy into a man, that's what. 

OldGriswoldjazzminawaMichelle
    Just published a blog post with my head vs. heart predictions for some of the main categories if anyone wants to take a look! :-)

• edited February 2017
    I can't believe Warren Beatty pulled a Steve Harvey while announcing Best Picture. Either way, I'm happy La La Land didn't win best picture. I'm glad it won best song and score, but it was not best picture material.
This discussion has been closed.