The Americans - Season 5

Comments

• TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    My jaw dropped when I saw Martha and I just kept repeating "holy shit"
    KingKobraElisa
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I got a kick out of seeing Tony Soprano's on-again-off-again one-legged sex partner Svetlana Kirilenko playing the grocer getting grilled by Oleg last week.  I had forgotten how strange and interesting that story line was from The Sopranos.
    Elisa
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple

I just realized. Irina Dvorovenko. One of the most glamorous ballerinas I ever saw. Not known for subtle acting onstage. But, wow. God for her.

She was in that fucked up ballerina show on Starz that was on last year or the year before too.
    I heard it was awful so so didn't bother.
  • So I enjoyed watching the plan unfold to get Misha out of eastern Europe and into the US.  Previews for next week seem interesting for him.

Also interesting that it seems like Phillip and Elizabeth are getting tired of having to seduce/sleep with other people.  Or at least, that's the impression I got.

Paige starting to spy on Pastor Tim and Alice seems a tad out of character for her but Elizabeth was right that if Paige is caught or Alice suspects anything, the Jennings would be screwed and it's a huge risk to take.

I was really shocked that Oleg confessed to his mother about the situation he's in.  Figured he would keep that to himself but I guess I was wrong.  Also, I wonder if now the CIA is going to back off after Stan said what he said.  Although, couldn't they just lie to Stan and tell him that they backed off?  I mean, how would Stan know?  Plus, they already used the tape against Oleg, so kind of pointless.

Finally, the previews for next week for Stan are interesting (as they're suppose to be) but I guess this does go back to a comment or thought I had about episode 1 or 2 as to why they're taking time out to introduce us to Stan's new girlfriend.

Elisa
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    My heart came up my throat as Paige was reading the diary, I was really expecting them to come home and she would be caught upstairs. I don't know why but I also thought something was going to be wrong with the baby when Paige checked on her.

The Misha stuff is getting interesting and I don't know how its going to play when he arrives on the Jennings door. I'm also glad we don't have to see him go from country to country in the eastern block and they are moving it along. 

@dochielomn I also got the same feeling that they are tired of seducing others but I don't think its based on love from Phillip but I'm not sure about it for Elizabeth. 
    Elisa
  • Agree with @dochielomn on the Phillip/Elizabeth not wanting to do this one. I think they know what a strain the "single" ops do and that just adds to their Paige/Marraige drama. Still enjoy this show immensely on a weekly basis.
    Elisa
    I am curious how easy it was for Mischa to enter the United States. Like what passport did he use to enter? Perhaps travel and tourist visas were just easy to get to leave from a Western European airport for US. This is pre EU so there are many more potential border interactions. But maybe once you got out of the Iron Curtain it was much easier to travel.

For a show with meticulous detail and as many border crossing scenes I'm just feeling it was skipped over a little too much if he has a Soviet passport that a US Border and Customs agent wouldn't flag this kid for more scrutiny.
  • I am curious how easy it was for Mischa to enter the United States. Like what passport did he use to enter? Perhaps travel and tourist visas were just easy to get to leave from a Western European airport for US. This is pre EU so there are many more potential border interactions. But maybe once you got out of the Iron Curtain it was much easier to travel.

For a show with meticulous detail and as many border crossing scenes I'm just feeling it was skipped over a little too much if he has a Soviet passport that a US Border and Customs agent wouldn't flag this kid for more scrutiny.

Part of his "package" were fake documents I believe, so they probably made it "easy entry". They snuck him out of Russia so that he could travel to US.
    TheEconomistElisa
  • I think we should try some of these methods to get @A_Ron_Hubbard to start watching the Americans again:

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/some-of-the-ways-tv-critics-have-tried-to-get-me-to-watch-the-americans
  • I knew the agribusiness was going to turn out to be genetic engineering (sorta) - I did not appreciate the impact it was gonna have on Phil and Liz.  One of these missions are going to be the beginning of the end, I wonder if this was it?
    manhattnik
  • I very much enjoyed last night's episode.  Thought the whole thing with Phillip finding out that the bio-agriculture thing was not what they suspected and basically was the complete opposite.  Then, I loved how Phillip immediately flashbacked to the guy in the lab that they killed.  It was like he told himself that by killing that guy, it was an actual murder not just a wartime casualty or a wartime death.  You can really see Phillip just about saying that he's done/out.  Although, now that Phillip and Elizabeth know the truth, how do they get out of the Topeka thing.  Do they just tell the guy and girl that business is taking them far away and they won't be able to see them anymore?  Do they even need to go on seeing those people? 

Paige breaking up with Matthew seems a little weird and out of nowhere since she did seem to like him.  But I can understand her succumbing to the stress of having to hide things from him, especially since his dad is Stan, and that ultimately making her feel bad when she's around him.

I did enjoy the Misha storyline but if he just now disappears, then I'm going to be a little annoyed because really, what was the point of his storyline.  I suppose something that could come out of it is that Gabriel is going to keep this a secret from Phillip and if/when Phillip finds out, he's going to flip out and be pissed.  But ultimately, from a mission standpoint, I totally agree with Claudia's decision to keep Misha away from Phillip.  It's too much of a wild card.

As for Stan, couldn't Phillip just ask the centre if they're targeting Stan?  Is that too out of bounds for him?  Did he know about how they used Nina and how that ultimately failed (even though Stan did really care about her)?  Just wondering that if they sent this new woman at him, I just don't see it working out.  Stan already proved that he's loyal to his country before betraying it.

A final note, from last week's episode, I didn't understand Elizabeth turning on the faucet when Paige was telling her about spying on Pastor Tim.  Elizabeth should know/guess that her house is secure and not bugged.  So why the need to turn on the faucet to create background noise?  Just didn't make sense since they seem to talk freely in their house about their real job and such.

Overall, great episode last night in my opinion.

TheEconomistElisa
  • @dochielomn for Paige, she was already conflicted and showing signs of stress. Adding a relationship on top of it was kind of crazy. I DID like how she rubbed her fingers (like Elizabeth showed her) last night, it was just a small detail that was probably missed, but gave insight into that scene.

As far as Stan goes, they have to be careful, the less they know the better. Phillip doesn't know about Nina. That's why Phillip followed them after the date, he was trying to find out more. Basically if it bares fruit, then he would probably tell them to back off since it's much too close.

She turned on the faucet for the son (he was upstairs I believe) it added to noise distortion. It wasn't so much they were being tapped.

I agree on the great episode.
    TheEconomist
  • Anyone else sad we didn't get to see some post-coitus Lotus-1-2-3 printouts? 
    TheEconomistKela15elgat0ElisaDani_ArmindomanhattnikJujee
  • MrX said:

Anyone else sad we didn't get to see some post-coitus Lotus-1-2-3 printouts? 

FYI to the youngsters - late 80s version of Excel.
    KingKobraElisa
  • @KingKobra, I wasn't sure/couldn't remember if Phillip and Elizabeth were ever aware of the whole Nina thing.  I probably would have guessed that they weren't in the loop about what was going on there but there was a slight possibility that they might have heard about it.  Also, I didn't think Henry was home during that Paige conversation.  I thought they established that the house was empty besides the two of them.  If Henry was home, then turning on the faucet would make sense to me.  If he wasn't though, then no clue why she did it.  As for Paige, like I said, I can understand how the stress of the situation could get to Paige but it appeared that her and Matthew were getting closer/more intimate with each other, so that's why I thought it was a bit out of nowhere that she was breaking up with him.  Then again, sometimes in relationships, that's how it can go/be.

MrX, haha.  I think I was more shocked that Phillip was able to sleep with her.  Clearly Phillip wasn't really into it (but due to his training, he was able to perform) but I was more surprised that he was able to successfully seduce her.  She didn't seem to really care to interact with Phillip from what they had previously shown. 

KingKobraElisa
  • @MrX, haha.  I think I was more shocked that Phillip was able to sleep with her.  Clearly Phillip wasn't really into it (but due to his training, he was able to perform) but I was more surprised that he was able to successfully seduce her.  She didn't seem to really care to interact with Phillip from what they had previously shown. 

Yea but she clearly got turned on by bad book keeping, and the prospect of showing off her mastery of 1980's spreadsheet technology.

Phillip is quite the trooper. He must be able to direct blood down there on command. Kind of the opposite of "think about baseball, think about baseball."
    tom_gElisamanhattnik
  • Well, I believe in a flashback they showed Phillip having to sleep with a very elderly woman and I think a guy as well.  So, I guess his training was very thorough with getting him to direct his blood flow upon his command.

Also, forgot to mention that Oleg's story was also interesting.  Just couldn't tell at the end if he was waiting for someone or was scouting something out or just contemplating what to do.

Elisa
    Dude Oleg! If only my dating life was as easy. It's like Soviet Bachelor on hometown dates plus they cook and pour you vodka?

But I get it's probably not a great time to start a relationship when you're being blackmailed by the CIA.
    ElisaDani_Armindo
  • edited April 2017

"Do Elizabeth and Philip even really know what it's like in the Soviet Union at this point?"

Do they really know?  Technically no because they don't live there on a day to day basis.  Elizabeth did go there for a quick trip with Paige but probably not enough to really see how the day to day life in the country really is.  But I think where Phillip and Elizabeth condemn the father from speaking is out is that they did live there and that guy is about the same age as them, so growing up, they saw the same country that he did.  If he was saying how all of this happened the last coupe of years that he was living there, then Phillip and Elizabeth wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on to judge him.  But I get the feeling, a lot of his angst against the USSR comes from his childhood/early adult years. 

However, in their line of work, you can't be questioning the country that you're "fighting" for otherwise it's going to impact your job/mission/line of thinking and if that goes, then you got a major problem and start questioning your life's work as a whole.

@dochielomn I don't even think Elizabeth and Paige made it the Soviet Union. I think they went to Berlin.

And it's not about some moral high ground that can they judge him, they are murderers full stop. They are beginning to come to terms with that in this episode.

I think the defector's angst is that he knows the Soviet Union is failing and he doesn't buy into the propaganda anymore. And coming to America and realizing the relative prosperity and freedom only sharpens his critiques. He hasn't been in America long enough to understand what flaws and violence there are which probably disgust Elizabeth at least.

@akritenbrink

Elizabeth acknowledges to Paige the Soviet Union is a poor country. Popular communist propaganda to explain why the West was so wealthy and prosperous was that they exploited the "third world" for resources and labor (perhaps some truth to it). But she's not stupid either. Gaberiel flat out tells them the USSR has to import food from America and its allies. Any rational person would have to consider why? Americans eat so well yet still have a surplus to export to a nation with a ridiculously large land mass of agricultural land?

But I've always thought her motivation was she was a true believer in the communist ideal and while she grew up poor and tough because of the war the Soviet Union still were able to accomplish great things (particularly in space) despite that while the wealthier Americans were softer and slower growing up. She's also not blind that capitalism produces more stuff but she also mentioned it's a lot of useless stuff and produces useless people. And it does so by exploiting people in the Marxist sense.

So when this defector goes on an on it probably really grinds her gears bc he's a total traitor and betrayed communism for a plush life of capitalist decadence. And for her another reason why the Soviet Union is doing poorly is bc there is an American led global conspiracy against it, which is after all correct.
    Elisa
  • @TheEconomist, ok thanks for the clarification.  Thought they went to the USSR to visit her mother but I looked it up and yeah, the recap of season 3 finale says that they went to Germany.

With regards to Phillip and Elizabeth being murderers, I meant more from a wartime perspective.  I mean, do we call WW2 vets who fought and killed someone a murderer?  Or do you say that it was war and it's kill or be killed type of situation?  For Phillip, any "murder" that he's committed in the US is related to his mission and he could justify it as a wartime killing.  However, in this case, it's more like he killed a completely innocent civilian.  Phillip isn't just randomly killing someone.  If he takes a life it's because he believes that the person is somehow directly tied into the cold war.  In this case, they thought the lab guy was.  But to learn that the guy was completely harmless and not involved at all (and actually trying to solve world hunger), that bothered him.  Hence why Phillip tells Elizabeth that this can never happen again. 

Elisa
  • @dochielomn I don't even think Elizabeth and Paige made it the Soviet Union. I think they went to Berlin.

And it's not about some moral high ground that can they judge him, they are murderers full stop. They are beginning to come to terms with that in this episode.

I think the defector's angst is that he knows the Soviet Union is failing and he doesn't buy into the propaganda anymore. And coming to America and realizing the relative prosperity and freedom only sharpens his critiques. He hasn't been in America long enough to understand what flaws and violence there are which probably disgust Elizabeth at least.

@akritenbrink

Elizabeth acknowledges to Paige the Soviet Union is a poor country. Popular communist propaganda to explain why the West was so wealthy and prosperous was that they exploited the "third world" for resources and labor (perhaps some truth to it). But she's not stupid either. Gaberiel flat out tells them the USSR has to import food from America and its allies. Any rational person would have to consider why? Americans eat so well yet still have a surplus to export to a nation with a ridiculously large land mass of agricultural land?

But I've always thought her motivation was she was a true believer in the communist ideal and while she grew up poor and tough because of the war the Soviet Union still were able to accomplish great things (particularly in space) despite that while the wealthier Americans were softer and slower growing up. She's also not blind that capitalism produces more stuff but she also mentioned it's a lot of useless stuff and produces useless people. And it does so by exploiting people in the Marxist sense.

So when this defector goes on an on it probably really grinds her gears bc he's a total traitor and betrayed communism for a plush life of capitalist decadence. And for her another reason why the Soviet Union is doing poorly is bc there is an American led global conspiracy against it, which is after all correct.

Since the very beginning, there has been a very deliberate effort to show Phil and Liz seeing/enjoying/handing-down the excesses of American life.  Very cool stuff.  After all, it was Rock music and blue jeans that ended the cold war.
    Elisa
This discussion has been closed.