The Americans - Season 5

Comments

• P & E make it official, then see an outsiders observations about their troubled daughter - is this the beginning of the end?

Paige with the you guys did a great thing speech was great - Mom and Dad are great, and no one got hurt!

KingKobra
  • Of course this is the "beginning of the end" ;) I think getting rid of Pastor Tim is what she needs. She is/was too close emotionally to him and wasn't able to develop a wall for the emotions. She is learning however (quickly). It was very interesting to see them "make it official" especially with how Elizabeth feels about religion. The knowing look they gave each other when Claudia said "she didn't know anything" was a closer step of unification it seems. They were testing her (even though they knew the answer) and I think she failed. Gabriel might have offered to look into it (even if he was going to lie to them).
  • I forget, this isn't the last season is it?  Assuming no, then I wonder if the actor who plays Henry wants off the show or if the writers feel that they don't really have a story for him so they're potentially writing him off the show (assuming that the character does go to New Hampshire for school).

As for P&E, Phillip even in the first season has seemed willing to drop the double life thing and lead a "normal" existence in the US with his family.  Elizabeth has always been the one that has never wavered from the cause and basically just blindly follows because this has been her whole life essentially.  Seems like now, she's starting to either get tired of it or is potentially thinking about things.  But at this time, she still seems loyal to the cause without question.

• I forget, this isn't the last season is it?  Assuming no, then I wonder if the actor who plays Henry wants off the show or if the writers feel that they don't really have a story for him so they're potentially writing him off the show (assuming that the character does go to New Hampshire for school).

As for P&E, Phillip even in the first season has seemed willing to drop the double life thing and lead a "normal" existence in the US with his family.  Elizabeth has always been the one that has never wavered from the cause and basically just blindly follows because this has been her whole life essentially.  Seems like now, she's starting to either get tired of it or is potentially thinking about things.  But at this time, she still seems loyal to the cause without question.

Not the last season, next season is the final one.
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited May 2017
    I'm kind of amazed by my reaction to the show this season. Other than a handful of small moments, this season feels like nothing of any consequence has happened. I'm entirely bored and disengaged at this point. Strange given how my feelings were exactly opposite last season. Are others experiencing the same disenchantment?
    Elisa
  • I don't feel that way at all. Really enjoying this season.
  • I'm kind of amazed by my reaction to the show this season. Other than a handful of small moments, this season feels like nothing of any consequence has happened. I'm entirely bored and disengaged at this point. Strange given how my feelings were exactly opposite last season. Are others experiencing the same disenchantment?

Agreed. Between Gabriel's quiet departure and Paige's school girl break up, this season is dragging.  There've been no scenes with a real "HF" or cringe factor like folding a body up in to a suitcase, yanking your wife's tooth out in the garage or Stan Beeman blowing a guy's head off for revenge. They need to do something seriously dramatic in the next few episodes
    Elisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide

I'm kind of amazed by my reaction to the show this season. Other than a handful of small moments, this season feels like nothing of any consequence has happened. I'm entirely bored and disengaged at this point. Strange given how my feelings were exactly opposite last season. Are others experiencing the same disenchantment?

I agree, Shayne. I've been playing with my phone a lot (then having to rewind a bit when they start speaking Russian). I've always really loved this show, but a lot of this season has really dragged on and not much is happening at all.
    Elisa
  • elgat0elgat0 Clearwater
    @hypergenesb I'm in your camp.  There's been very little dramatic tension this season, which is very surprising for this show. In past seasons, all the characters seemed to be walking a razor's edge.  The only time I can think of Phillip or Elizabeth experiencing any real danger was when they dug up the dead agent/scientist(can't remember his name) to get the tissue sample.

My guess is that they didn't think they were going to be renewed and didn't have plan for this season.  When they got renewed, it was for 2 seasons.  Seems like this season is just treading water so they could properly develop the concluding season.

I'm still enjoying the show for the characters and have confidence that the final batch of episodes will ratchet the drama back up.
    Elisa
  • The other thing that happened this season - P&E killed a guy who was trying to save the world
    KingKobra
  • Have people been watching the same show I have been? This show has always been slow up until one of those "dramatic" moments. I always find it odd when they say The Americans is now "slow".
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I'm with Shayne too.  I was a huge fan especially of season 2 and 3 and now every episode that I have watched from season 4, I catch myself falling asleep.  Nothing surprising and everything is kinda predictable. It's become a chore for me to watch.
    Dee
  • JamesJames southern California
    KingKobra said:

Have people been watching the same show I have been? This show has always been slow up until one of those "dramatic" moments. I always find it odd when they say The Americans is now "slow".

Hell, several seasons of Breaking Bad were slow burns until the last few episodes.

P&E recovered a virus sample from a dead body at a hazmat site, told Paige that the US was trying to starve the soviet populace, killed an entomologist, discovered that the "plot" was to grow "super-wheat" that might reduce hunger in the whole world, lied to Paige about this, delivered a sample of said "super-wheat" to the KGB, while continuing to run surveillance on Russian ex-patriots (with an extremely lonely teenage "partner" who is desperately lonely for a real family) and a CIA executive, and maybe their neighbor's new girlfriend, and they've found out that their son is a highly motivated student who has fallen in with a good crowd and wants to spend his high school years rubbing elbows with Kennedys and Bushes instead of the parents who have largely ignored him for the past couple of years.

Meanwhile, we are getting a closer look at how the Soviet system is being crushed by its inability to deal with corruption, graft, and the gulf between the elite lives of privileged party members and the oppressed proletariat, all of which is exacerbated by the successive deaths of two  (going on three) elderly Party leaders.

The Jennings, with no point-of-reference outside of their own lives in the war-ravaged post-WWII USSR, are gradually learning how bad things are: The virus sample they sent back for "research" purposes may have been used as a battlefield weapon in the Afghan war (and, even if it was a different hemorrhagic fever virus, the point is that their country is not just studying these viruses in order to protect themselves against their use on the battlefield), the wheat sample they sent back is not being used to bolster the sagging grain production in the USSR, it will instead be kept in labs "under scientific study" for many years. And, like it or not, they can't not be affected by Pastor Tim's description of their treatment of Paige as "monstrous."

No "necklacing," no folding of human bodies to fit in carry-on luggage, no major chase scenes, this season is leading us inexorably to the end game. Whatever the conclusions are, P&E and Stan and Paige and Oleg and everyone else: no one is going to get to the end without having to face the stark realities of their actions and their world.

I'm in!

I expect, by the way, that the story will close about the time that Gorbachev becomes the Party leader and Glasnost becomes the Word of the Day. But wouldn't it be great if the final episode was an homage to Six Feet Under, with flash-forwards through the surviving characters' lives? Where is 50-year-old Paige today? Is 70-year-old Elizabeth still the head of Putin's security detail? Or is she working for Doctors Without Borders?
    KingKobraDani_Armindo
  • I was a latecomer and binged S1-4 in time for 5. So that was waaaay too much annoying ass Paige in a very short period of time, and that started the slow decline for me. Not sure why writers like to double down on the 'annoying older sister, forgetten little brother' trope (looking at you Homeland). Anyway, still watching, but not as compelled by it either.
    Elisa
  • I'm fine with this season as is.  I don't necessarily need an action moment like them snapping a boy in half to fit into a suitcase or pulling out your own tooth.  Provided it's good writing and story telling, I'm good.  With that being said, I thought the first couple of episodes this season were slow and dragging.  However, over the past 3 or 4 episodes, I've really started to enjoy.  I'm enjoying to see what happens with Oleg.  Seeing Gabriel leave was an interesting twist.  Watching Phillip seem to become more detached is always looming.  But if you're watching this show for constant action or for a huge shocker, then I can see why you think this season is slow and boring.
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    Slow burns? I thought the Orthodox Russian wedding ceremony was glorious. And for good reason; I think P&E have finally turned towards each other. The wheat/plague thing was the corner they both turned. You could see it in their conversation with Paige about what "heros" they were, even though they both knew they'd been nothing of the kinds.
  • Interesting to see that Elizabeth mentioned that she's basically done.  I thought she was too dug in and couldn't see past things and was just too devoted to the cause.  Clearly Phillip had been showing signs and since he couldn't pull the trigger, he's mentally out.

And while I know the show wouldn't go down this route (nor would I want it to), it would be slightly comical if Henry did end up joining the FBI and Paige did become a 2nd generation agent for the USSR.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I don't recall why they're trying to recruit her.  All I can give is the generic answer of trying to get a spy for them or gain information about something.

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY

Sofia works for TASS, the Russian news agency.

I don't recall why they're trying to recruit her.  All I can give is the generic answer of trying to get a spy for them or gain information about something.

I don't think they have said why or who she is. I don't crochet during this show so i don't usually miss major details haha.

Elisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I would not have though they'd have someone even more ruthlessly pragmatic than Elizabeth, but phew, Tuan is cold!
    KingKobraElisa
  • Dee said:

I would not have though they'd have someone even more ruthlessly pragmatic than Elizabeth, but phew, Tuan is cold!

I know right? Tuan is a ruthless mofo.
    Elisa
  • Excellent epsidoe!
    Elisa
  • Tuan may be cold, but he wasn't wrong with his logic.  Even while watching the episode I thought, if this was Elizabeth a few years back, she'd be totally onboard with Tuan's plan.

To me, this Mischa stuff is interesting in my reaction.  At times, I've really disliked it as I feel it's just wasting time.  At other times, I've enjoyed it.  This past episode, I felt was a waste for the dinner scene that we got.  Maybe it there was more to it in the episode I would have felt different.

It was interesting to watch Oleg interact with his parents, particularly his mom and the KGB stuff.  I just wonder if his dad is truly going to stay out of the situation or making some phone calls without Oleg knowing.  At the same point, while the KGB isn't wrong in their suspicion, it is naïve on their part to say "why is Stan Beeman involved?" because as Oleg put it, he's in the FBI counterintelligence, it's not unreasonable to think that he might be actively involved.

Lastly, I don't see Henry adjusting well if forced to move to the USSR and find out that his parents were spies.

DeeElisa
  • Tuan may be cold, but he wasn't wrong with his logic.  Even while watching the episode I thought, if this was Elizabeth a few years back, she'd be totally onboard with Tuan's plan.

Agree; I think Elizabeth realizes that too, and is a bit horrified that she's molded Tuan into a young version of herself, and that perhaps this is the road she's leading Paige down - no coincidence that they cut the finale scene with shots of Paige training in the garage.
    Elisa
  • Here's the other thing that I'm wondering.  Say Phillip and Elizabeth do decide to call it a career and take the kids back to the Soviet Union, how do they actually move?  Do they tell people that they're moving to random state?  Random country?  Or do they not tell anyone and just move in the middle of the night?  Basically, the way I see it, a small problem is going to be Stan.  Because suppose they tell Stan they're moving to X and he says, oh I'll come visit and tries to follow up with a visit only to find out that there is no evidence of the Jennings moving there.  Isn't he going to follow up and possibly figure things out?  Or at that point, would it even matter because the "Jennings" are now gone and safely in the USSR?  Basically, I don't see Stan not trying to stay in touch with them.

• @dochielomn once they move back they would be fine. What are they going to do extradite them back to US? As far as moving it could go either way and be OK. It's not like they are really moving and the only outside connection they really have is Stan. He'd feel hurt/upset, but nothing he can do at that point.
This discussion has been closed.