The Americans - Season 5

12346»

Comments

• @KingKobra, yeah, I know.  There would be nothing at that point in time that Stan could do.  I guess my point was if they were trying to stay off of the radar, it would be difficult should Stan try to reach out to them to say hello only to find out that they're not there and with some digging, maybe find out the truth.  Then again, if the FBI did find out who the Jennings were, perhaps that ends Stan's career as well since he wasn't able to detect it.  Just one of those loose ends should they move back to the USSR. 
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited May 2017
    Speaking of Stan finding out, have any of y'all seen the Hollywood Reporter panel they did back in January? Matthew Rhys offered his idea of how Stan will find out: 

(at the 31 min 14 sec mark if it doesn't start at that)
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited May 2017
    Shout out to Costa Ronin. No one does a "fed up with this shit but can't say anything" face better. Also - semi-Aussie! (We claim anyone good who came to us via New Zealand.)
    Elisa
  • @KingKobra, yeah, I know.  There would be nothing at that point in time that Stan could do.  I guess my point was if they were trying to stay off of the radar, it would be difficult should Stan try to reach out to them to say hello only to find out that they're not there and with some digging, maybe find out the truth.  Then again, if the FBI did find out who the Jennings were, perhaps that ends Stan's career as well since he wasn't able to detect it.  Just one of those loose ends should they move back to the USSR. 

After they move, it doesn't really matter if it's a "lose end" unless they want to come back as the Jennings. Leaving negates that radar ;)

It would be worse for Stan since he would be CRUSHED.
  • I'm not disagreeing with you that it wouldn't matter if they move and Stan finds out.  I know nothing would change unless Stan got so pissed and went on some sort of covert mission of revenge (but I personally don't see him doing that).  Just one of those things that they could never return and chances are neither could Henry or Paige (because then they could be grabbed and used as leverage).
    KingKobra
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The only "happy" ending might be where they work it to where Stan steps in to take care of Henry. If people are looking for a positive end to this show, I have a feeling they will be greatly disappointed ;)
  • KingKobra said:

The only "happy" ending might be where they work it to where Stan steps in to take care of Henry. If people are looking for a positive end to this show, I have a feeling they will be greatly disappointed ;)

Oh definitely. The only happy ending might be if they drag it out to the end of the Soviet Union and somehow in the chaos, E+P get away. But I don't think E wants to get away, and it doesn't seem they are going to drag it out that long.
    Them "getting away" still wouldn't work ;) they'd always be in the run. I'm not sure the KGB would "forget" them.
  • edited May 2017

Yeah, I don't see a happy ending for Phillip and Elizabeth.  If they go back and live in the USSR, I think they're not going to like what they see (or it's not going to be the same country that they remember) and then trying to adapt Paige and Henry (Henry more so) could be a difficult challenge.  And if they try to defect, well, then the KGB would be looking for them (the same way that they found that woman who helped the Nazi's in killing Russians.  If they didn't forget about her, then clearly Phillip and Elizabeth would be top targets as well.  It's going to be interesting.

As for letting Henry go to New Hampshire and then telling him that his family died, I think that messes him up for life.  Basically, for Henry, I don't see how this ends well for him at all.  Only way is if somehow Phillip and Elizabeth are allowed to "retire" and stay in the US and carry out their lives as Phillip and Elizabeth Jennings.

Elisa
  • Did anyone else get the sense that Elizabeth didn't want to leave because she was getting use to her life in the US and having all of these clothes and luxuries that perhaps she wouldn't have in the USSR?

While I'm glad that Martha might be getting some joy in her life with adopting the girl, I guess I'm failing to see the point of her character/involvement in the show.  Unless, she's going to do something, I just don't see the point of showing what she's up to.

Surprised there was no Oleg in the finale.

Tuan is just funny to think about.  Was waiting for Phillip to smack him around and call him a snot-nose punk or something like that.  Not saying Tuan is wrong with his assessment but with Phillip and Elizabeth's track record, this won't hurt them in the slightest.  Also found it interesting with Elizabeth telling Tuan that he won't make it on his own.

Felt bad for Alexei because he feels that he's in a no-win situation.

Was I the only one that kept waiting for Paige to be attacked only for her to show off her new skills when she was walking to her car?  And do you think she was purposely walking that distance because she wanted something to happen?  Just seemed like a long way away that she parked.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking that something was going to happen to make Phillip and Elizabeth want to stay (and on a side note, I guess we got our answer as to how they would go back under the pretense of a family trip to Europe).  Unlike the Martha angle, at least they tied in why we needed to see Kimmy again (because at the time I thought that the scene wasn't really necessary for Phillip's storyline but they did tie it in).  It will be interesting to see how Elizabeth is telling Phillip to only do the Kimmy assignment and retire from everything else.  With 1 season left, it will be curious how they wrap things up. 

And I guess the final question, how many people think Stan's girlfriend is working for the USSR?  They've definitely done a good job in casting suspicion (at least for me).  Especially with her seemingly trying to convince Stan to stay at his current position as oppose to switching to a different division.  I can see if she's legit that she had a point.  But at the same point, if Stan is saying "i'm not happy, I need a change", you'd think if she was legit that she'd support him in his decision to change.  Right now, I'd side with that she's agent but it's like only 55% for me.

• Of for sure Paige was walking that route and using that lot on purpose. That scene was the "classic" setup to add suspense, when we all know the likelyhood isnt that great.

As far as Elizabeth and Phillip go, the closer you get to a major change, the more things will look "good" and you'll be tempted to stay. Elizabeth was/is now comfortable and giving up this life would be hard. They already know life won't be so easy if they go back.

As far as Stan's girlfriend goes, I just think it's a convenient connection for them. They have projected the Jennings paranoia when they are in a situation they can't control (even though they've been told she's not)
  • KingKobra said:

As far as Stan's girlfriend goes, I just think it's a convenient connection for them. They have projected the Jennings paranoia when they are in a situation they can't control (even though they've been told she's not)

I thought when the Jennings asked all they were told from either Gabriel or Claudia (I forget which one they asked) was that they didn't know and even if they did ask they might not be told the truth because the Jennings are close to Stan.  So I thought based on that, that we didn't know for sure. 
  • And I think the show has done a good job of getting the audience (or at least me) to possibly suspect that maybe she is a spy.  Before, you could chalk stuff up to Phillip's paranoia and such.  But the finale with her potentially pushing Stan to stay where he is, that got me thinking and suspecting a little.  I mean, Stan flat out said "i'm not happy with this anymore, I want to change divisions/groups" and her reaction was like "well, you're awesome, but perhaps your current group needs someone like you in it".  You'd thought that she would support his decision and want him to be happy if she wasn't a spy.  But even if she's not a spy, I can still see her point.  I'd probably say that 30% of me thinks she might be a spy at this point.
This discussion has been closed.