How do you pronounce "gif"? I will die on this hill.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12649956

It's with a soft "g"! Like giraffe!!
phoenyx1023pavlovsbellBrawn

Comments

• TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    "Jiff"... though I know it's hard G.
    voodooratdarwinfeeshy
  • edited April 2017
    Voted - Like gift without the 't'.
    MichellegguenotBrawnUnderwoodwebswinger
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I try not to actually say it out loud. It makes me feel like something that should only be seen on message boards online. 
    TaraC73jazzminawaFreddyTravisAjasMichelleSonja121187
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Graphic Interface Format. Do you say graphics like Giraffics? It's totally a hard g.
    MurderbearHatorianMichelleBrawn
  • edited April 2017
    cdrive said:

Graphic Interface Format. Do you say graphics like Giraffics? It's totally a hard g.

Does every acronym have the same pronunciation as the pronunciation of the first letter of the first word?
    cdrive
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Soft "g." That's the way I first heard it pronounced (by an IT guy), and I've pronounced it that way since.

cdrive said:

Joint Photographic Experts Group. Do you say "photographic" like "potographic"? 

If that's your rule, then how do you pronounce JPEG? I don't really care, I think both pronunciations of GIF are acceptable, but I am mildly amused by the hard G-ers who get so bent out of shape about the soft G-ers.
    darwinfeeshy
    edited April 2017

cdrive said:

Does every acronym have the same pronunciation as the pronunciation of the first letter of the first word?
    Ooh this really is the hill you want to die on. Give me examples of acronymns where the onomatopoeia changes pronunciation. The burden of proof is on you man. A jpeg isn't a hey peg. A GB isn't an Irish jig.
    TaraC73darwinfeeshy
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited April 2017
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/22/tech/web/pronounce-gif/

Well, the creator says it's a soft g so there's that I guess
    cdriveTravisdarwinfeeshySonja121187
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited April 2017
    I don't care what the guy who invented it says. I will go to my grave using a hard G.
    MurderbearjazzminawaDummyPavkey88TravisMichelleNikkiPBrawnTimK
  • Dee said:

I don't care what the guy who invented it says. I will go to my grave using a hard G.

I'm with ya. Feels weird to say it with a soft g.
    DeeMurderbearBrawn
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited April 2017
    Edit: I pronounce it like jiff. But I ad also accept gif like gift without the t.
    Travisdarwinfeeshy
  • I pronounce it "turnip".

I don't know how everyone else is so far off.
    cdriveFrakkin Thisdudeness915TravisMichelleJaimieTBrawn
    gjulleen said:

I pronounce it "turnip".

I don't know how everyone else is so far off.

/thread
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I say gif with a hard g, like "gift"

Is this basically the Mandela effect? I always read it as that, and heard it as that. Then someone told me the correct is "jif" but it doesnt matter whats correct when its all made up anyway...
    HatorianMurderbearBrawn
  • edited April 2017
    cdrive said:

cdrive said:

Ooh this really is the hill you want to die on. Give me examples of acronymns where the onomatopoeia changes pronunciation. The burden of proof is on you man. A jpeg isn't a hey peg. A GB isn't an Irish jig.
    For example, in NASA the acronym is pronounced "nas-uh". However, "Administration" is pronounced with an "add", not an "uhd".
    cdriveSonja121187
  • I pronounce it like 'gift' without the 't', but maybe that's only because English isn't my mother tongue and we only have one way of pronouncing the letter 'g'. Or any letter.
    Frankly, to me, the fact that people can (and do) argue about how something is pronounced is kind of weird and bizarre and laughable all at the same time.
    HatorianMichelleBrawn
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    "One of dem mini video doo-hickies what ain't got no sound"

Every. Single. Time.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Dee said:

Don't you mean your "jrave"?
    AjasMichelleNikkiPgguenot
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Soft g for me.
    darwinfeeshy
  • Considering there's already a brand of peanut butter named Jiff, pronouncing it with a soft g could lead to confusion so I usually go with hard g though I've used both.
    Travis
  • @Reni
    Oh don't even get me started on how different people pronounce the name of the city of Rayleigh. I've hear Ray-lee, Rah-lee, Ray-lay, Rah-lay, Ruh-lee, it's very silly.
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited April 2017
    rah-lee, jiff.  "often" is "offen".
  • I try not to actually say it out loud. It makes me feel like something that should only be seen on message boards online. 

x2
  • Getting into "proper" or "why" for English, is going down a deep rabbit hole.....
    http://linguistics.stackexchange.com/questions/9049/dear-ear-fear-gear-hear-near-why-are-bear-pear-pronounced-differently

Just a semi related inquiry that came up in discussion recently (pear, bear pronounciation).
  • I live near Sequim, Washington. Unless you're from around here you just pronounced that wrong. That's okay, I forgive you and don't need to harp on it. I won't even correct you with the accurate pronunciation.

Hoquiam, Tulalip, Puyallup, Aeneas, Ephrata.

When you're from the Pacific Northwest you smile and nod with smug superiority without telling people it's a "j" sound like in Jefferson County.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited April 2017
    Hard G, always did.

Same thing with Nikon. Apparently the correct pronunciation is Nee-con, which is what everyone in the rest of the wold calls it, but everybody I know in the USA pronounces it like Nigh-con. Apparently Nikon USA says it's all cool.
  • Wow. I'm a little surprised by all these hard G truthers on here. I thought we were better than this as a community. I thought I knew you guys as well as you could know anyone that lives in your phone browser you've never actually met. Smh. We all lose our way at some point. But we'll be here with open arms to welcome you back into the light.
    darwinfeeshyBrawn
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I was big on the soft G, because English rules, but Hank Green uses a hard G. Now I'm torn. I feel history will favor the hard G.
    darwinfeeshyBrawn
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lol, we have some great names in our corner of the country. I had the same experience with Helvetia, OR
This discussion has been closed.