RIP those who died in 2017

124»

Comments

• jesus, what a fucker of a monday this has been.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I heard someone died(Petty) didn't know who. So I checked in on the forum. Bald Move news, fast and reliable. Bummer though they are playing a lot of his songs on the radio, "Insider" is a good one I've never heard before.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    R.I.P. to John Dunsworth aka Mr. Lahey from Trailer Park Boys. Pour one out for the old man tonight, ya shit birds!
    CretanBulldarwinfeeshyvoodoorat
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited October 2017
    A sad day for Canada..."We are less as a country without Gord Downie in it"

• FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    A sad day for Canada..."We are less as a country without Gord Downie in it"

Even though we were all expecting this day to come, it definitely still feels terrible. We've lost an incredible artist and a great Canadian.
    CretanBull
  • A nice piece by music writer Alan Cross about Gord Downie

------------------

Over the last 24 hours, I’ve been struggling to explain why the death of Gord Downie has hit Canada so hard. The best comes from the New York Times which understands that America has no analogue to a person of Gord’s stature. It says this in an obituary:  “Imagine Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and Michael Stipe combined into one sensitive, oblique poet-philosopher, and you’re getting close.” That’s pretty good.

I wrote this for the Postmedia chain of papers.

Dear Rest of the World:

You’re probably looking at Canada (if you look at us at all) and wondering how an entire nation can be consumed with grief over the death of a singer. A rock singer, no less.

“Seriously, Canada? And even your Prime Minister was crying? And now some people are talking about a state funeral for this guy? What’s up with that?”

It’s ... hard to explain. But let me try.

First, we’re not ashamed about any of this. You see, The Hip was Canada’s house band and their frontman was our defacto poet laureate. To put it another way, if there was a World Cup of Rock, Canada would send The Tragically Hip.

Second, The Hip taught us about ourselves. Gord and the band were unabashedly Canadian without being jingoistic or wrapping themselves in the flag. How many people learned of Hugh MacLennan or David Milgaard through Hip lyrics? How many people across the country were sent to atlases to locate Bobcaygeon or Algonquin Park? And then there were all the hockey stories: Bill Barilko, references to the 1972 Canada-Russia series.

If there isn’t already an undergraduate course that teaches Canadian history, politics, geography and sociology using the lyrics of The Tragically Hip, it’s just a matter of time.

Third, we learned to appreciate Gord’s often obtuse and opaque lyrics. They stood up to repeated listening, often revealing new layers with repeated listening. His writings (including his sundry non-music poetry) is worth study the same way we look at the works of Leonard Cohen, Michael Ondaatje and Al Purdy, one of Gord’s heroes.

But hey, Rest of the World, you did have a chance — multiple chances! — to get in on this action. But for some reason, you chose not to. (You people along the border in the U.S. and some folks in western Europe and Australia are exempt. You know who you are.)

After a couple of failed attempts to break into the American market that were thwarted by record company politics, bad luck and other things beyond the band’s control, The Hip retrenched and super-served their domestic fan base which responded with even more devotion.

In fact, it was perhaps because they couldn’t break it big in America that we embraced them even more. You didn’t want ’em, so we hung on even tighter. They were ours.

They sold millions of albums and hundreds of thousands of concert tickets from coast to coast. We travelled from gig to gig, often outnumbering the locals when The Hip played U.S. cities and were stunned more of you didn’t attend. Couldn’t you see what you were missing?

But unless you’re Canadian, you probably won’t understand.

Flukes
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Fats Domino has passed away.  He was 89, and a pioneer in the world of rock 'n roll.

This is one of my all-time favorite songs from that era.

picorock80
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Only Elvis sold more than him in their day. Rest easy Fats!
    Michelle
  • edited November 2017
    RIP Doc Halladay.  I only saw him with the Phillies, but he was a badass on the mound.  His postseason no-hitter against the Reds rivaled Maddux as far as dominant pitching goes.
    CretanBull
  • GredalBee said:
    RIP Doc Halladay.  I only saw him with the Phillies, but he was a badass on the mound.  His postseason no-hitter against the Reds rivaled Maddux as far as dominant pitching goes.
    Sad times here in Toronto :(
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    The best. The fucking best. We salute you.

voodoorathypergenesbpicorock80
  • cdrive said:
    The best. The fucking best. We salute you.

I'll never forget the day "Back in Black" was released. I was in 5th grade. We planned it all week. On Friday when it came out, my buddy's mother picked up a copy of the album on her way home from work. We had a sleepover at his house. First, we made everyone copies on cassette. Then we stayed up all night playing that record. I hadn't thought about that night in ages.
    Deecdrive
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    If you’re a fan of AC/DC I would highly recommend a two part documentary called Blood and Thunder: The Story Of Alberts. Although not only about them, a very large part of it is dedicated to them and their beginnings. My daughter and I stumbled on it last year on TV and were riveted - neither of us are fans of AC/DC and I don’t even like music much, but it was a really interesting history of the birth of the “Australian sound” in the 60s/70s. You can rent it on iTunes and YouTube, not sure where else it’s available. For Aussies, it’s apparently being repeated next Sunday night on ABC. 

Also, @hypergenesb, I had no idea there was such a thing as Acca Dacca sleepovers! 
    CretanBullpicorock80cdrivehypergenesb
    Earle Hyman (the grandpa from the Cosby show), Mel Tillis (country music legend), Ann Wedgeworth (Evening Shade, Three's Company, and others) and Wendy Pepper (designer from the first season of Project Runway) have also passed this past week.  And David Cassidy's in the hospital due to organ failure and is waiting for a new liver (but it's iffy).  2017, going out with a bang.  :(
  • picorock80picorock80 San Bernardino Ca
    edited November 2017

Charlie Manson is finally gone.

MichellevoodooratMurderbear
  • Charlie Manson is finally gone.

I know it needed to be raised in terms of him dying but not enough monsters have died to have a "RIH(Rot in Hell) those monsters that died in 2017"
    JaimieTMurderbearMichelle
    Jana Novotna has lost her battle with cancer, Wimbledon Ladies Champ in 1998 and one of my earliest faves. :-(
    davemcb
  • amyja89 said:
    Jana Novotna has lost her battle with cancer, Wimbledon Ladies Champ in 1998 and one of my earliest faves. :-(
    Its so sad being she was only 49, its also a shame she is remembered more for loosing the Wimbledon final in 1993 because of the images of her and the Duchess of Kent presenting the runners up trophy.

Her 98 win was awesome and i remember being so happy when she won because of all she had been through then.
    amyja89
    davemcb said:
    amyja89 said:
    Its so sad being she was only 49, its also a shame she is remembered more for loosing the Wimbledon final in 1993 because of the images of her and the Duchess of Kent presenting the runners up trophy.

Her 98 win was awesome and i remember being so happy when she won because of all she had been through then.
    She's remembered fondly for that moment with the Duchess of Kent here in the UK, people liked that she evoked an actual human emotion from a member of the Royal Family, who weren't loved by Brits as much then as they seem to be now!
    davemcb
    davemcb said:

Charlie Manson is finally gone.

I know it needed to be raised in terms of him dying but not enough monsters have died to have a "RIH(Rot in Hell) those monsters that died in 2017"
    Yeah he definitely deserves that title. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Della Reese has passed away. Any Adventure Zone fans out there probably have a special little place in their heart for her.
    davemcbMichelleDaveyMacpicorock80Flukes
  • RIP to the Georgia Dome that was demolished today, I don't mean to make a mockery of this but I used to be a massive fan of Michael Vick (pre-dog fighting) and playing in the Dome he always seemed to be on another level compared to the rest of the competition. 
    As a fan of mid 90's wrestling 2 of the biggest mid-90's WCW moments happened at the Georgia Dome, Goldberg pinning Hogan for the title and the finger poke of doom that was one of the events that caused WCW to decline and ultimately fail as a promotion before being bought by their competition. 
    picorock80
    Della Reese has passed away. Any Adventure Zone fans out there probably have a special little place in their heart for her.
    I may have seen 1 or 2 episodes of Touched With an Angel but when I saw her in Harlem Nights I loved her. She was such a funny mouthy woman in that movie. I may check it again this weekend just for old times sake. 
    Murderbear
    edited November 2017
    David Cassidy passed away today at age 67 of complications from dementia and liver failure.  :(

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Michelle said:
    David Cassidy passed away today at age 67 of complications from dementia and liver failure.  :(

:-(
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    SHA-ZAYUM!  Well, goooo-oooo-llllyyyy!
    Rest in peace, Gomer.

Jim Nabors, 1930 - 2017
    MurderbearJaimieT
    edited December 2017
    I'm a huge fan of The Andy Griffith Show.  Gomer is one of my all-time favorite television characters. 
    "Citizen's array-est!  Citizen's array-est!"  :smiley:

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Michelle said:
    I'm a huge fan of The Andy Griffith Show.  Gomer is one of my all-time favorite television characters. 
    "Citizen's array-est!  Citizen's array-est!"  :smiley:

We quoted that all the time growing up. He's so pleased with himself.
    Michelle
This discussion has been closed.