LIndelofing

2»

Comments

• @Jal2071 It's fine that you have that opinion. My comment was tongue-in-cheek, and referencing a concern I had, which was that people who were still mad at Lindelof for being "the guy who fucks up endings" would hate the end of this show no matter what it was because of the preconceived notions they brought into it. It's unfair of me of assume that of you, but no more unfair than you calling people who liked it "apologists", instead of just...people who reacted to a subjective piece of art differently than you did.

What would you have wanted out of this finale though? Honest question, I'm curious.
    Reni
  • I was actually optimistic about the finale this time around. I was hoping DL had evolved in his story telling. Even the best writer would have trouble wrapping up a story as grand as this in one hour. But that's my point. I'm not a fan of building a story without an ending. It seems like a cop out to me. I'm fine with Kevin and Norah reuniting (even decades later) but they completely handwaved the alternate universe/reality/Earth 2, etc. I would have preferred them to spend some time there and actually see what Norah described. And they never even discussed the two doctors and their complete reversal on Norah's use of the machine. Their entire way of doing business was never explained. Why deny Norah use of the machine and then say, "well you stalked us at home and followed us here so sure, hop in."

• Nah man (or woman? I guess I shouldn't assume), seeing Earth 2 would defeat the purpose, the real question isn't what actually happened to the departed it's wherever Nora is actually telling the truth at the end. I think people just got their expectations up that this was a story about explaining supernatural events when it's really just a character focused drama about people dealing with grief, loliness, and depression.
    CretanBullKingKobra
  • How dare you assume my gender, check your privilege (j/k). I understand your point and I'm all about character driven stories but c'mon.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited June 2017
    I mean you're entitled to your own opinion. I'm never gonna say you're wrong to dislike the ending I just don't agree. Subjective opinions are rarely things one can be wrong about, now granted if you're a person who believes that quantitatively and objectively a show like Fear TWD is literally the best show on tv, then yeah your opinion is wrong and you should watch better television, but otherwise I don't really care to argue subjective opinions.
  • Alkaid13 said:

if you're a person who believes that quantitatively and objectively a show like Fear TWD is the literally the best show on then yeah your opinion is wrong and you should watch better television

well, that's just, like, your opinion, man
    Alkaid13KingKobrahisdudeness915
  • Yeah, it's just my opinion. It's all I got.
  • @Jal2071 Well that's where we differ, then. I think if they had actually shown Nora in Earth-2, it would've felt to me like a betrayal of the ambiguity that's been at the heart of this series from the very beginning and I would've had very different feelings about this finale. The quasi-explanation for the Departure we got here was already way more than I was expecting; I'd seen episode 7 as a wrapping up of all the "mythology", as much as it can be called that, surrounding Kevin and the flood, and was ready for this just to be a smaller-scale character piece wrapping up the story of Kevin and Nora, which is more or less what we got. This show succeeded in having a "it was really all about the characters" finale where Lost mostly failed, because Lost still had to explain a bunch of supernatural mythology stuff, and save the world, going into its finale, whereas The Leftovers had already "saved the world" (kind of) in its penultimate one. The best way to explain this is to think of villains - a huge part of the Lost finale had to deal with defeating the Big Bad, whereas The Leftovers blew up their main villains in a drone strike in the first five minutes of the season. With no antagonists, all that was left to drive the conflict in this final season was what these characters we care about were willing to do to themselves (being drowned, going through the LADR machine) to try and deal with their grief.

But then, Lost comparisons are really doing it a disservice. There are many similarities between Lost and The Leftovers, sure, but I've long maintained that using Lost as a lens (hehe) through which to view The Leftovers only hurts the latter show. This wasn't a show about supernatural mysteries with clear answers, it was about how people deal with the inexplicable, and the stories they tell themselves and others to try and give narrative to their lives and restore meaning to a world that no longer makes sense, until one by one those stories and excuses are stripped away from them, and they are left with nothing but the realization that they must simply live the rest of their lives. Throughout this final season, we see that happen to Matt, John, Grace, Kevin Sr. and Kevin Jr., and even the biggest bullshit-callers on the show, Laurie and Nora, reach a similar emotional state, although they take a very different road to get there. They all deal with grief and uncertainty, and they're all eventually able to move past it. We don't get to know if Nora was telling the truth, because it has always been about not knowing. That's a concept for a show that is never going to be for everyone. Some people will hate it from the jump. Some people will mostly like it until they reach the end and are confronted with the fact that no, there really are no answers, this is really all there is. And some people will love it from start to finish.

Like I said, it's fine if you hated it. The show was defiantly not for everyone right from the start, and (IMO) stayed true to itself right up until the end. That's a lot I've just written, and I'm not sure if it makes sense to anyone but me, but that's the best I could come up with for explaining why I thought this ending was a success.
    voodooratAlkaid13phoenyx1023KingKobraToadie
  • Okay, I just rewatched the whole thing and upon second viewing I've turned a corner on this. I'm good with it. It was a fitting ending to a great show. I wish there was more but hey, what can you do.
This discussion has been closed.