U.S. Politics episode 4: A New Thread

Comments

• You sound like someone with a VHS collection trying to convince the world that Blu-rays are bad.  Progress requires bold thinking, risk and investment...tying ourselves to fossil fuel technology is a known dead-end.  Whether it's Tesla or some other company, electric or some other power source, we're moving away from oil and gas.
    Not at all. Your example is bad because the government didn't need to subsidize DVDs or Blue Ray, that happened as a result of market demand.

just like We moved from CRT monitors to LCD by market demand. 

To say we are moving away from oil and gas is silly as well. its still the dominant technology. Whether or not it is in the future remains to be seen. If electric vehicles were so much better, as DVD is to VHS then there would be a massive market shift towards it, which although more EVs have been bought now then in the past, hasn't even cracked 1% of sales. And sales drop like a rock when tax incentives have been ended in other countries. So that's the difference. I'm not in any way opposed to people who want EVs buying and driving them. It's the market manipulation paid for by my tax dollars I don't like. 

The barrier to widespread EV adoption, and coincidentally to widespread adoption of wind and solar energy, has been big battery capacity. We’re there now with the Tesla having >250mile range and also selling battery units for home-solar.

So the tech is now there, it just needs to get cheaper through scaling. Which it will like all other technology, if you don’t think that corner has been turned over the medium term, then your head is in the sand.

Fossile fuels also still get plenty of government perks to try to maintain the status quo, but solar/wind and other renewables keep getting cheaper while the long term trend on oil/gas is up. We will still use oil for synthetics, lubrication, etc., but its widespread use as a fuel will be slowly coming to an end over the next 50yrs or so. So what do we want to bet on? China is subsidizing solar, so if we don’t play then the market will favor them.
  • What did we do to deserve this? Is this what diplomacy has become?

• What did we do to deserve this? Is this what diplomacy has become?

I guess he ran out of room and couldn't add "na-na, na-na, boo-boo,stick your head in doo-doo".

darwinfeeshy
  • edited November 2017
    It's such a juvenile "I'm not actually saying it" insult.

"Oh, that short and fat guy over there? I would NEVER call him short and fat! Even if he is actually short and fat, I would NEVER say that he was (short and fat, that is).

• FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    "An 'old lunatic?' I'll have you know i am not old."

Um.. about the other part? 

CretanBullLordByAlkaid13Phoebes89
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited November 2017
    Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?
    TaraC73
  • One year of Trump - Thanks for the summary John Oliver
  • trump isn't short, but he also isn't thin, maybe cut back a little on the fat jokes (and the big macs), donald, people in glass houses and all that.
    TaraC73Dee
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    The Atlantic just dropped an article about Junior's DMs on Twitter with wikileaks. Is there really any doubt now that the Trump campaign conspired with Russia to influence the election? Some on this board have called me paranoid but if you've been reading the news the last few weeks, especially all the licking Trump did this weekend of Putin's boots, I'd say I'm not paranoid enough. 
  • Frakkin T said:
    The Atlantic just dropped an article about Junior's DMs on Twitter with wikileaks. Is there really any doubt now that the Trump campaign conspired with Russia to influence the election? Some on this board have called me paranoid but if you've been reading the news the last few weeks, especially all the licking Trump did this weekend of Putin's boots, I'd say I'm not paranoid enough. 
    Jr, just posted the DMs himself on twitter. Not sure there is anything new for the committees however. 
  • What does Trump do when the family starts to go down?
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    tom_g said:
    What does Trump do when the family starts to go down?

TaraC73
  • Probably pardon them and dare the Republicans to challenge him over it. 
  • edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Anyone here ever been barred from your local mall?
    CretanBullTaraC73
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    tom_g said:
    Anyone here ever been barred from your local mall?
    Yes but that asshole from Fashionable Male was trying to screw my girlfriend in a very uncomfortable place.
    MrXCretanBull
  • Flukes said:
    tom_g said:
    Anyone here ever been barred from your local mall?
    Yes but that asshole from Fashionable Male was trying to screw my girlfriend in a very uncomfortable place.
    Like in the back of a Volkswagen?
    FlukesMrXCretanBull
  • Pictured, Roy Moore, circa 1978.

CretanBullFlukesTaraC73Aww_PHuuCk
  • I'm going to bring back to an issue I posted months ago, that a particular poster claimed I was being so wrong on, and today a report by the Government Accountability Office vindicates my position.

for over a decade the US Forest Service has refused to hire the Boeing 747 Supertanker, a jumbo jet outfitted to fight massive wildfires with 19000 gallons of retardant. It flies faster, safer, and cheaper per gallon then any other platform out there. The planes baptism of fire was in Chile last winter fighting wildfires on the Andes foothills and on one documented occasion saved the lives of multiple Chilean "Bomberos" on the ground from being trapped. 

The plane flew for CalFire in the Wine Country fires flying over a dozen missions in a separate deal because the forest service still wouldn't authorize the plane for federal contracts.

today the Government Accountability office in a strong rebuke of the Forest Service wrote a scathing report finding no justification for the lack of contracts, that the Forest Service's contract rules prohibiting larger planes had "only anecdotal support" and sided with Global Supertanker services which brought a complaint against the FS. The Forest Service was ordered to pay Global Supertanker the cost of the bringing the complaint and to re-write their contract requirements to cover the massive supertanker plane. The Forest Service will not be appealing.

https://www.google.com/amp/sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/11/09/global-supertanker-clears-hurdle-for-firefighting-outside-california/amp/

Good to hear; it's gonna take a couple hundred of those supertankers to put out the dumpster fire that is the Trump Administration.
    CretanBullApril_May_June
  • MrX said:
    Motha bitch, that is upsetting
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited November 2017
    gguenot said:
    MrX said:
    Motha bitch, that is upsetting
    Rick Perry wanted to abolish the Department of Energy, now he's the head of it.  If you think that's bad, it came out after he got the job that he didn't even know what the Department did!  Let that sink in.  First, he wanted to abolish a Department that he didn't even know what they did...and he found out what they did after he became the head of it.

This coming from a President obsessed with 'extreme vetting'.
  • The podcast The Dollop has a special two part episode about Trump - it talks about his history and business practices.  I listened to both of them, and in a word: yikes.
    CretanBull
  • The podcast The Dollop has a special two part episode about Trump - it talks about his history and business practices.  I listened to both of them, and in a word: yikes.
    Those guys are really funny, but Trump is such a vile and disgusting person I don't know if I could stomach a deep-dive into his personal history.
    April_May_June
  • You know your tax plan sucks when a bunch of CEOs at a Wall Street Journal forum won't even pretend that they'll use it to trickle down onto us peons. Cohn is like "c'mon guys, we gotta sell this turd!"

darwinfeeshyApril_May_June
  • MrX said:
    You know your tax plan sucks when a bunch of CEOs at a Wall Street Journal forum won't even pretend that they'll use it to trickle down onto us peons. Cohn is like "c'mon guys, we gotta sell this turd!"
    "Yeah... Yeah, we'll reinvest it... into our Cayman Islands accounts."
    CretanBullApril_May_June
  • April_May_JuneApril_May_June California
    edited November 2017
    The podcast The Dollop has a special two part episode about Trump - it talks about his history and business practices.  I listened to both of them, and in a word: yikes.
    Those guys are really funny, but Trump is such a vile and disgusting person I don't know if I could stomach a deep-dive into his personal history.
    Yeah, I don't blame you.  To be honest, there weren't a lot of laughs for these two episodes.
    But they managed to take a lot of different aspects and put them all into focus.  Like there are SO MANY issues, it's easy to get lost in the weeds.  And I think they did a good job of that (edit to add that I mean by that is that they do a good job of *not* getting lost in the weeds, lol)
    CretanBull
    Yeah, I don't blame you.  To be honest, there weren't a lot of laughs for these two episodes.
    But they managed to take a lot of different aspects and put them all into focus.  Like there are SO MANY issues, it's easy to get lost in the weeds.  And I think they did a good job of that (edit to add that I mean by that is that they do a good job of *not* getting lost in the weeds, lol)
    I gave it a listen.  It's remarkable that they did two episodes and yet it only felt like they scratched the surface....there's just so much BS to unpack that he could be the subject of 10 episodes and it would probably still feel like a primary introduction.

All politics aside, it's true shameful that such a flawed and morally bankrupt person is running the country - and especially sad that the people who believe in him the most are the people who he's spent a life time ripping off.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Holy shit Al Franken!  Definitely not good enough, definitely not smart enough...people are not going to like this.  

• yeah, franken done?  seems likely, even if he didn't do everything she claims (and there's not that much reason to doubt her) that photo's tough to reconcile with him not at least disrespecting her and there's no really good reason to believe him over her with regard to the rest of it.  surely he can be replaced with someone who isn't a creep (although that may require a departure from the rich white guy script as it seems like it's really hard to find a non-creepy one of those).
This discussion has been closed.