What music are you streaming?

Comments

• @Travis I actually just used the mac screenshot tool (shift+cmd+4 where cmd might actually be control or something, I'm using a microsoft keyboard so the button mappings are a little funky).
    Travis
  • @Travis I actually just used the mac screenshot tool (shift+cmd+4 where cmd might actually be control or something, I'm using a microsoft keyboard so the button mappings are a little funky).
    Thanks. I've been right clicking and what not. Didn't think to isolate and screenshot it. I'll give that a shot.
  • Travis said:
    @Travis I actually just used the mac screenshot tool (shift+cmd+4 where cmd might actually be control or something, I'm using a microsoft keyboard so the button mappings are a little funky).
    Thanks. I've been right clicking and what not. Didn't think to isolate and screenshot it. I'll give that a shot.
    If you're on OSX you don't even need to isolate it, it will freeze your screen and open up a selector tool for what you want to capture. I use it all the time at work just to measure pixels and things like that.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2019

BOOM! Thanks, dude!

Also, present moment streaming thought. Billie Eilish is pretty dope. I know that isn't exactly breaking news, but I'm officially on that bandwagon.
    bizmarkiefader
  • Travis said:

Also, present moment streaming thought. Billie Eilish is pretty dope. I know that isn't exactly breaking news, but I'm officially on that bandwagon.

Billie Eillish is where I've officially become ancient, I can't deal with the whole aesthetic. The music is fine but I saw my girlfriend watching some instagram story of her and she was reading off her most famous followers and how many followers they had with this sleepy look on her face and I thought I was having a stroke. Every time I see her doing anything I feel like I'm 150 years old.
    Travis
  • Travis said:

Billie Eillish is where I've officially become ancient, I can't deal with the whole aesthetic. The music is fine but I saw my girlfriend watching some instagram story of her and she was reading off her most famous followers and how many followers they had with this sleepy look on her face and I thought I was having a stroke. Every time I see her doing anything I feel like I'm 150 years old.
    This is a good tip for me to keep in mind. I've been spared from all of that. In essence, my niece was playing her music and I thought it was cool and have sparsely listened to it until a couple of days ago when I started dialing her up on Spotify. I haven't had the sort of "persona exposure" yet. Kinda had a feeling that wouldn't work well for me. Though I do think it's pretty funny that people had a complete fit over the fact that she'd never heard Van Halen. I mean, come on guys. Their peak was like 20 years before she was born and it's not like their sounds even remotely overlap. Plus it's not like we're talking about The Beatles or something (not that wouldn't be incredibly silly to "Beatles shame" a kid either).
  • @Travis I don't mean to disparage her too hard, she just embodies a lot of current trends that moved way out of what I like. The Van Halen stuff was just so fucking stupid. She was born after 9/11, not everybody is going to be well versed in 70's dad rock for the rest of time. Also, wait until you hear what Van Halen has or hasn't heard of:

Eddie Van Halen doesn't listen to music. 

This is not a fake-out or a misdirection, nor is it a seemingly straightforward statement that actually means its opposite. Eddie Van Halen does not listen to music. “I don’t listen to anything,” he tells me from a greenish couch inside 5150, the expansive home recording studio built on his seven-acre residence in Studio City, Calif. I’d just asked if he ever revisits old Van Halen albums, but his disinterest in those records is merely the tip of a very weird iceberg: Unlike every other musician I’ve ever met, he does not listen to any music he isn’t actively making. The guitarist maintains that the last album he purchased was Peter Gabriel’s So, when it came out in 1986. He’s not familiar with the work of Radiohead, Metallica or Guns N’ Roses. He appears to know only one Ozzy Osbourne song Randy Rhoads played on, and it’s “Crazy Train.” He scarcely listened to Pantera, even though he spoke at the funeral of the group’s guitarist and placed the axe from Van Halen II inside the man’s casket. He doesn’t listen to the radio in his car, much to the annoyance of his wife (“I prefer the sound of the motor,” he says). He sheepishly admits he never even listened to most of the bands that opened for Van Halen and worries, “Does that make me an asshole?” Sometimes he listens to Yo-Yo Ma, because he loves the sound of the cello. But even that is rare.

“It’s an odd thing, but I’ve been this way my whole life,” he continues. “I couldn’t make a contemporary record if I wanted to, because I don’t know what contemporary music sounds like.”

Travis
  • @Travis I don't mean to disparage her too hard, she just embodies a lot of current trends that moved way out of what I like. The Van Halen stuff was just so fucking stupid. She was born after 9/11, not everybody is going to be well versed in 70's dad rock for the rest of time. Also, wait until you hear what Van Halen has or hasn't heard of:

Eddie Van Halen doesn't listen to music. 

This is not a fake-out or a misdirection, nor is it a seemingly straightforward statement that actually means its opposite. Eddie Van Halen does not listen to music. “I don’t listen to anything,” he tells me from a greenish couch inside 5150, the expansive home recording studio built on his seven-acre residence in Studio City, Calif. I’d just asked if he ever revisits old Van Halen albums, but his disinterest in those records is merely the tip of a very weird iceberg: Unlike every other musician I’ve ever met, he does not listen to any music he isn’t actively making. The guitarist maintains that the last album he purchased was Peter Gabriel’s So, when it came out in 1986. He’s not familiar with the work of Radiohead, Metallica or Guns N’ Roses. He appears to know only one Ozzy Osbourne song Randy Rhoads played on, and it’s “Crazy Train.” He scarcely listened to Pantera, even though he spoke at the funeral of the group’s guitarist and placed the axe from Van Halen II inside the man’s casket. He doesn’t listen to the radio in his car, much to the annoyance of his wife (“I prefer the sound of the motor,” he says). He sheepishly admits he never even listened to most of the bands that opened for Van Halen and worries, “Does that make me an asshole?” Sometimes he listens to Yo-Yo Ma, because he loves the sound of the cello. But even that is rare.

“It’s an odd thing, but I’ve been this way my whole life,” he continues. “I couldn’t make a contemporary record if I wanted to, because I don’t know what contemporary music sounds like.”

That is AWESOME! Suck it, my generation weird-os. Ha!
    I can dig that, about her playing on trends that are moving away from you. For what it's worth, I may have been a little quick on the draw on my comment. The other night I did the top line hits and today sampled the record and typed my comment about halfway through. The back half of the record was a little more flat, or maybe my enthusiasm waned. Either way, may have spoken a little quick. I do like the stuff that I've liked quite a bit, but there may be a shorter ceiling there than I thought.
  • Piano metal? Yes, please.

bizmarkiefader
  • Mega Guillotine, I love you. It's a goofy song, but I'm so excited for this album. I saw Sean play this a while back and he got the whole room singing the chorus, it was great.
  • amyja89 said:
    Billie Eilish new album is firrrrrrreeeeee.
    For real! I just discovered her after "Bad Guy" blew up and I've been listening ever since. Her voice is hot af.
    Travis
  • Anyone know/like Torres? I dusted off her record Sprinter and it's pretty darn good.

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Pretty well obsessed with this song:

Travis

cdriveNoel
  • I don’t think my-playlist changes with the seasons, but there are definitely songs I like listening to in the winter. When people think of a winter song I think they think about something up beat, adventurous and fun. Last season I think the song was call me maybe, especially with the Olympics and all the Olympic teams doing remixes to the song. I think we associate songs like this with winter because winter is the season usually portrayed as the fun season, as there is no school. I don’t know what this winter song will be, but I’m sure by the end of the winter I’ll have a few. I think I do follow the pop-music trend, but I also like listening to some older songs too.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited January 2020
    Been listening to a lot of Flaming Lips and Lizzo over the holidays.  I was at a party at my sis’s and she and her girlfriends were playing a lot of Lizzo which got it started.  Whew chile, then I found out she’s from da lief!?  Went to Alief Elsik AND UH!? Shit was all over after that.  I’ve been loving me some Lizzo. And flaming lips, specifically Yoshimi which is peculiar for me because I kinda used to have problems with that album and always used to only listen to the old stuff.  (Edit: wow I just alluded to Yoshimi not being the old stuff and that album came out 18 years ago.) 
    Chinaski
  • After watching the fantastic Linda Ronstadt doc on cnn been listening to a lot of her stuff. 
    kingbee67
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    fidoz said:
    After watching the fantastic Linda Ronstadt doc on cnn been listening to a lot of her stuff. 
    I forgot to watch the doc but I watched a thing on her on the Sunday morning show.  A year so ago they released a great live album from 1980 I think and I ended up buying it. Also I’ve been listening to her attempt at a new wave/punk album that has a great cover of Elvis Costello’s Part Girl. But her best song I’ve been enjoying is her cover of Little feat’s Willin.

fidoz
    A whole lot of Nipsey Hussle. Didn't really know much about him while he was alive, but fuck me if he isn't one of my favorite rappers/personalities now.

cdrive
    KAYTRANADA - BUBBA 
    Michael Kiwanuka - You ain’t the problem 

y’all need to put that in your ears

ChinaskiTravisUniv3rsalmind
  • edited January 2020
    It's been a long time since I have listened to this song:

Wonderwall - Oasis 

I just hope that my dog will stop howling just for one time as I feel like sooner or later my neighbor will tell me to get him a shock collar
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I am becoming obsessed with this band and this song especially. The video is whatever but this song is fantastic. It might be a lite heavier than what most like here but the vocal arrangement at last minute and a half or so is incredible.
  • cdrive said:

Hey buddy! This is the second recommendation that I've seen for this in the last week. I dig the couple of songs that I've heard from a few years back. Gonna check it out today. Thanks!
    cdrive
    Travis said:
    cdrive said:

Hey buddy! This is the second recommendation that I've seen for this in the last week. I dig the couple of songs that I've heard from a few years back. Gonna check it out today. Thanks!
    It was right under my nose this whole time cause I'm a big fan of Big Little Lies which uses his song!  It took a good old buddy and old bandmate to listen to the music blog of another good old buddy and old bandmate.  I thusly got shamed for not reading his music blog (lol).  But his latest album (Nov '19) Kiwanuka is amazing! Super strong from start to finish. 
    Travis
  • Ha! I am actually familiar with the "so you aren't reading my blog" syndrome. Been caught with those proverbial pants down as well. Awkward and no fun. Ha!

I heard him on Sound Opinions back in 2016 and really dug him, but kind of forgot about him after a couple of months. Black Man in a White World is a (as the kids would say) banger. I just pressed play and You Ain't the Problem is fuckin great. Really nice start.
    cdrive
    Okay, obviously Roy Clark is a legend but check this performance out! It's stunning and perfect. https://youtu.be/-xssnp7R51A
    edited January 2020
    I know there's 2 sides to every story, but the optics certainly don't look good with what Aerosmith did to their drummer.  Looks pretty crummy.

But anyways, I had that in the back of mind when they busted out that old early 90s hit "Living on the Edge" during the Grammy's last night.  That took me back.  Not really in a good or bad way, but I remember having that CD Get a Grip.  

I ALSO now remember the video started up with Steven Tyler cupping his balls.  Yes, Steven, there is something wrong with our eyes!

New Tame Impala is wonderful.
    ChinaskiTravis