What music are you streaming?

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Mmmm. Buca di Beppo with that bomb chopped salad. 
    Travis
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I don't know if it's cause St. Patrick's Day is coming up (I don't really even care honestly) but Flogging Molly's album Swagger still rips. Especially this song, Devil's Dance Floor. https://youtu.be/YPaz0p2dpEk
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2020
    The fuckin' Go-Gos, son! 
    They came up on shuffle and it just demanded a record or two's worth. I now believe that the secret MVP of the Go-Gos is Kathy Valentine (bass). Never thought about it before today, but the bass always seems to be doing the right thing and it really sets their tone well. 

Also, could it be that they were a huge influence for the Smiths, particularly with an eye to the rhythm section? I'm listening to You Can't Walk in Your Sleep, and aspects of it feel super Smiths-y.
    cdrivepjfridays
    So, today on Bandcamp.com all proceeds go straight to the artists! So, if there is an artist out there you would love to support, I know from personal experience, it would be MOST appreciated! I'll just pick a band, oh I don't know, let's say a band from Cincinnati called The Newport Secret Six. Yeah, everyone loves rocksteady and reggae right?  ;)

https://newportsecretsix.bandcamp.com/music
    cdrive
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I'm still not 100% if I like it or not but 100 gecs new album definitely makes me feel something:

Kinda feel like swangin’ & bangin’ on an empty freeway would be the most H-Town thing ever right now...

• edited March 2020
    This was fantastic

cdrive
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Bought the first 2 Tears For Fears albums on vinyl.
    cdrivekingbee67Travis
  • fidoz said:
    Why would Michael Jackson dance with Roland Orzable? (starts about 30 seconds in)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLbl081mUEw
    fidoz
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Travis said:
    fidoz said:
    Why would Michael Jackson dance with Roland Orzable? (starts about 30 seconds in)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLbl081mUEw
    awesome.
    Travis
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited March 2020
    This is just music, no lyrics, from Sufjan Stevens. Highly recommend. This is exactly the shit I'm into.

He dropped it early because of COVID-19.

ChinaskiTravis
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    JaimieT said:
    This is just music, no lyrics, from Sufjan Stevens. Highly recommend. This is exactly the shit I'm into.

whoa! I had no idea Sufan Stevens was dropping an instrumental new age record! thanks for sharing!
    JaimieTTravis
  • JaimieT said:

Thanks for the heads up on that! In case it interests anybody as well Shearwater announced yesterday that they did something similar through their Bandcamp page too. I heaven't heard it yet, but I really enjoyed their sort of 30 minute meditation release that they did a ways back. Between those two releases I think my work from home day will be pretty focused and pleasant. Nice!
    JaimieT
    edited March 2020
    I'm doing the "shows you've been to" A to Z thing.  It's hard!  I can't believe I can't come up with an H!  Q, for sure.  Only Q and Not U fans probably got that one.  H is KILLING ME! U has me a littler perturbed too.  haha.

Apples In Stereo
    Broadcast
    Comets On Fire
    Deerhoof
    Elf Power
    Fatal Flying Guilloteens
    Guided by Voices
    Hold Steady (The)
    Interpol
    Jesus and Mary Chain (The)
    Ka-Nives
    Locust (The)
    My Bloody Valentine
    Nine Inch Nails
    Ohh Sees (The)
    Pavement
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Ravi Shankar
    Stereolab
    Tiger Named Lovesick
    U
    V
    Wesley Willis
    X
    Yo La Tengo
    Zwan

edit: updated
    ChinaskiTravis
    cdrive said:
    I'm doing the "shows you've been to" A to Z thing.  It's hard!  I can't believe I can't come up with an H!  Q, for sure.  Only Q and Not U fans probably got that one.  H is KILLING ME! U has me a littler perturbed too.  haha.

Apples In Stereo
    Broadcast
    Comets On Fire
    Deerhoof
    Elf Power
    Fatal Flying Guilloteens
    Guided by Voices
    H
    Interpol
    Jesus and Mary Chain (The)
    Ka-Nives
    Locust (The)
    My Bloody Valentine
    Nine Inch Nails
    Ohh Sees (The)
    Pavement
    Q
    Ravi Shankar
    Stereolab
    Tiger Named Lovesick
    U
    V
    Wesley Willis
    X
    Yo La Tengo
    Zwan
    a few for me come to mind. Hot Snakes, Hot Water Music, Helmet, Hot Chip.

and I can raise my hand for Q and not U. one of the most memorable shows I went to back in the day (shout out Bottom of the Hill in SF). in fact, i have that show poster in my cube.
    cdriveTravis
    Chinaski said:

and I can raise my hand for Q and not U. one of the most memorable shows I went to back in the day (shout out Bottom of the Hill in SF). in fact, i have that show poster in my cube.
    Man...I missed a really good Hot Snakes show a long time ago and I still regret it.   Got one for H though!!  The Hold Steady! I forgot we opened for them way back when, when I wasn't an old man.  

And that's awesome about Q and not U.  Found one for Q but it isn't that great.  My wife reminded me QOTSA opened for NIN.  These were free tickets.  Well, almost free. I dropped off a case of Lone Star on a guy's porch for them.
    ChinaskiTravis
    cdrive said:
    Chinaski said:

Man...I missed a really good Hot Snakes show a long time ago and I still regret it.   Got one for H though!!  The Hold Steady! I forgot we opened for them way back when, when I wasn't an old man.  

And that's awesome about Q and not U.  Found one for Q but it isn't that great.  My wife reminded me QOTSA opened for NIN.  These were free tickets.  Well, almost free. I dropped off a case of Lone Star on a guy's porch for them.
    Ooooo QOTSA is a good one! didn't cross my mind.  Hot Snakes actually just played in Santa Cruz right before stuff starting shutting down. i passed cause it was on a Tuesday and b) my social distancing mentality had already kicked in.
    cdriveTravis
  • edited March 2020
    Travis said:
    In one of those periods where Songs:Ohia is speaking to me a little too much. 
    I feel you, man.

For whatever reason, that day 12 years ago has started turning back over in my head a lot recently, the day when some miserable, broken guy decided he was going to take out me and my family and all the other little kids and their families in our church who had ruined his country. 

If ever there was a song which captured the feeling of a moment, this is it. 

DriveByTruckersAmericanBandAlbumCoverjpg

We're all standing in the shadows of our noblest intentions of something more
    Than being shot in a classroom in Oregon

edit: might help to have a link to the song. https://youtu.be/brVtJLuDgkw
    cdriveTravis
  • edited March 2020
    cdrive said:
    I'm doing the "shows you've been to" A to Z thing.  It's hard!  
    Wow, this *is* hard. Hm. 

Amen Dunes ('A' was surprisingly difficult)
    Bleckmann, Theo
    Coverdale, Kara-Lis
    DeJohnette, Jack
    Eick, Mathias ('E' was also weirdly hard. I almost cheated and used "Elvis" for the custodian/Elvis impersonator at the hospital I work at. He is totally legit great.)
    Fugazi
    Guðnadóttir, Hildur (she's the one who wrote the amazing score for Chernobyl. I saw her in a small room that held about 50 people, and I was able to sit, then eventually lay down, about 10 feet from her)
    Hedges, Michael
    International Contemporary Ensemble (again, 'I' was unexpectedly difficult)
    Jlin
    Kid Koala
    Lightning Bolt
    My Brightest Diamond
    The Necks
    Owens, Kelly Lee
    Perfume Genius
    Quartjar (had to go with a local band for this one. But I even have a bonus local Q: Hector Qirko)
    Rzewski, Frederic (he played The People United Will Never be Defeated in its entirety. Also got to sit on the floor about 20 feet from him, and it was sublime)
    Souleyman, Omar
    Tortoise
    Uncle Earl
    Violent Femmes
    Wu Fei
    Xylouris White
    Yo La Tengo
    Z -- nothing comes to mind...

cdriveChinaskiMurderbear
  • I’m listening to Shinedown (every song is good). Also been listening to Ozzy,Eagles,Simon and Garfunkel, and Van Halen (5150 is my go to album when the weather starts warming up)
    Well, I love lists so let's go

Aphex Twin
    Baroness
    Cattle Decapitation
    D'Angelo
    Ernie Johnson From Detroit
    Fiona Apple
    Gunship
    The Harmed Brothers
    iwrestledabearonce
    JEFF the Brotherhood
    Khruangbin
    Long Arm
    Mastodon
    Nine Inch Nails
    of Montreal
    Physics House Band
    Queens of the Stone Age
    The Roots
    Spiritbox
    Tame Impala
    Ultraspank
    Vomitron
    We Butter The Bread With Butter
    Xeos
    Yakuza
    Zao
    cdriveTravis
  • mykhailo said:
    Travis said:
    I feel you, man.

For whatever reason, that day 12 years ago has started turning back over in my head a lot recently, the day when some miserable, broken guy decided he was going to take out me and my family and all the other little kids and their families in our church who had ruined his country. 

Thanks for the heads up. I really need to dive a little deeper into DBT. Only heard a couple of tunes, but I dig them. They talked a bit about "Three Great Alabama Icons" on Music Exists and it popped up on their playlist. Good tune. Do you have a favorite record?
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Travis said:
    mykhailo said:
    Travis said:
    I feel you, man.

Thanks for the heads up. I really need to dive a little deeper into DBT. Only heard a couple of tunes, but I dig them. They talked a bit about "Three Great Alabama Icons" on Music Exists and it popped up on their playlist. Good tune. Do you have a favorite record?

I'd say Start with Decoration Day. If you like that everything else falls into place. It's the classic lineup with Hood, Cooley and Isbell. 
    Travis
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited March 2020
    New Nine Inch Nails, Ghosts V-VI, right now on their website, streaming tonight!!

If anyone was going to drop a pandemic soundtrack, I would vote for NIN.

https://store.nin.com/products/ghosts-digital-download

cdriveMurderbear
  • I was on a hunt (on YouTube) for instrumental background music for reading, writing, studying, etc.

Well... I came across this pianist (Luke Faulkner). Simple, thoughtful, lovely scores... check him out.

Here’s probably my favorite piece...

https://youtu.be/1kfNVsc-8Kw

And just a longer collection...

https://youtu.be/hQncT4Hswhw
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Went down a rabbit hole today and ended up watching a ton of 70's and early 80's live Van Halen. 
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2020
    I know I'm a few days late to the party, but fuck it. I need a little sanity fun break!
    I may not be able to fill the alphabet with shows (I have too many Bs, Ss, Ps, etc. that need to be better distributed. So many Bs and Ss), and I'm going to use the Last Name/First Name order to my convenience where needed. Let's see...
    Alice in Chains
    Breeders
    Cradle of Thorns
    Dr. Dog
    Elastica
    Franklin for Short (Folk Implosion for something a little more recognizable, but I love me some FFS and wish more people knew them)
    Guided by Voices
    Hole
    Imaad Wasif
    Jefferson Airplane
    Kool Keith
    Les Savy Fav
    Margot and the Nucear So and Sos
    Neko Case
    Okkervil River (we were late and more or less missed them, but we had tickets for them opening for Wilco and did go and I need an O, so I'm counting it.
    Pavement
    Quasi (but I too can claim Q and not U)
    Radiohead
    Shins (see Franklin For Short regarding my desire to answer The Spires)
    Tapes N Tapes (holy shit they were good)
    EDIT: the Undertow. Seth Pettersen and*
    Van Etten, Sharon
    Wilco
    X, dammit. I got nothing. My sister saw X. I saw multiple X-Men movies. Damn...
    Y (I may have seen Yo La Tengo at some point, but I don't feel comfortable claiming it)
    Z ... Look! It's Elvis! Oh, it was just a floating paper bag. Nothing to see here.

*Super lame move, but the "U" is so hard to come by that I'm pulling the trigger
    Chinaskicdrive
    great list @travis. for 'X' does Th xx count? cause if so,  i'll put that feather in my cap. and for 'Z' i saw Zeke at the Bottom of the Hill back in the day. they were quite intense.
    Traviscdrive
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2020
    Chinaski said:
    great list @travis. for 'X' does Th xx count? cause if so,  i'll put that feather in my cap. and for 'Z' i saw Zeke at the Bottom of the Hill back in the day. they were quite intense.
    Thanks, man. I was feeling so surprisingly good about the whole thing until the end. Man, the back of the alphabet is fuckin brutal. Ha!
    I totally think The XX counts. Figure, in library type organizations they drop the "the." Thus the super dumb joke that The The doesn't actually exist.
    I've never heard of Zeke at the Bottom of the Hill. Worth a look? Sounds intriguing. 

Chinaski
    Travis said:
    I've never heard of Zeke at the Bottom of the Hill. Worth a look? Sounds intriguing.
    haha the band  is called 'Zeke' and i saw em at the Bottom of the Hill (though 'Zeke at the Bottom of the Hill is kinda catchy). i'm trying to remember who they opened up for. they're alright, not really my thing. super intense and loud. like a grungy, metal, punk band. i had never heard of them at the time, then after i felt like they would always pop up. they had a song on Tony Hawk 4 which had a loaded soundtrack and i put countless hours into.

Travis