What music are you streaming?

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Chinaski said:
    Travis said:
    Today I'm going through some Guided By Voices after listening to the Robert Pollard/Doug Gillard record Speak Kindly of your Local Volunteer Fire Department. Fantastic record that I would highly recommend to anyone of a GBV persuasion. I think it actually stands up, toe to toe against any of their records.
    as long as you skipped Kicker of Elves. man, i really hate that song haha.
    Doo doo doo doo doo doo kicker of elves...

:D 

ChinaskiTravis
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    cdrive said:
    Chinaski said:
    Travis said:
    Today I'm going through some Guided By Voices after listening to the Robert Pollard/Doug Gillard record Speak Kindly of your Local Volunteer Fire Department. Fantastic record that I would highly recommend to anyone of a GBV persuasion. I think it actually stands up, toe to toe against any of their records.
    as long as you skipped Kicker of Elves. man, i really hate that song haha.

:D 

:# and now that crap will be stuck in my head for the next few days :#
    cdriveTravis
  • Ha! Oh man, Kicker of Elves is not for me either, man. Ha! 
    I kind of consider myself a "bad GBV fan" because where I like a lot of songs from the Alien Lanes, Bee Thousand, etc. era I like them a little more focused and produced. I think the best pocket is that run with Mag Earwhig, Do the Collapse, Isolation Drills, and Universal Truths and Cycles. In typical GBV fashion I see a couple of records in that mix where I know one is a comp and two I haven't heard of that I'm excluding (somehow even though I admit the title is awesome I'm having trouble finding the motivation to press play on "The Pipe Dreams of Instant Prince Whippet." I think Mag Earwhig is my favorite GBV record that I've heard.

I've been listening to a lot of the Rural Alberta Advantage lately and it's been a wonderful revisit. After the second record the albums become a bit more uneven, but the highs are pretty high. Their first two records are fantastic.
    Chinaski
    YLT covering one of my fav Byrds songs? Be still mah heart!  # new release Friday

https://open.spotify.com/track/4XEQb2rzvkLlqqBpdDQ7mT?si=hcvOBURvSQy6lXEE27fvlw
    TravisChinaski
  • cdrive said:
    YLT covering one of my fav Byrds songs? Be still mah heart!  # new release Friday

https://open.spotify.com/track/4XEQb2rzvkLlqqBpdDQ7mT?si=hcvOBURvSQy6lXEE27fvlw
    NICE! Gonna have to give that a spin. Thanks for the heads up, man!

this dude on Twitter is listing his top 75 Elliott Smith songs so of course now I have to make my own list. I needed to pull myself away from the Rural Alberta Advantage after listening to like 300 tracks overall (I think they only have like 60 songs) and that made for hte perfect segue after listening to some Antlers in transition. Damn. I forgot about the Antlers. They were fuckin GOOD (Donna Meagle voice).
    cdriveChinaski
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited September 2020
    Goddamn, Elliott Smith was so goddamn good. This isn't news to me, but as I'm ranking the songs on his albums to start consolidating them it's crazy. Good example, in my opinion Needle in the Hay is the 8th best track on the self titled, and that song is great! Crazy. Waltz 2 (XO) is a lower third track on the record XO. That dude was a fuckin songwriting God.

EDIT: Somehow Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands is my second least favorite song on XO which is nuts. I love that song.
    Chinaskicdrive
    a lot of Jesus and Mary Chain today to get me through the day. it worked.
    kingbee67TraviscdriveMurderbear
    Just randomly right now on James Cordon - Nick Cave is throwing down LIVE 9/9/20 a piano rendition of Cosmic Dancer by T.Rex. 

ChinaskiTravis
    Nick Cave movie scores are so good! The Proposition, The Assassination of Jesse James and The Road are legit!
    cdriveTravis
    Damn, bro. With the knowledge! 
    TravisChinaski
    When worlds collide! I’ve been into Nick by proxy of the Evan Dando / Lemonheads cover of Straight To You last year, but Ive always kinda known he was a thing with friends that were heavily into him and his band. When he delves into TREX, now thems familiar waters I’m steeped in. Great artist. 
    TravisChinaski
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited September 2020
    Has to be said: I love the Velvet Underground bur Sister Ray is TOO LONG! Too long!
    There. I feel better.

EDIT: "Misery's the river of the world, everybody row!" 
    Fuck yeah Tom Waits. Been many moons since that one. F'n great song!

EDIT: "You can't roller skate in the buffalo herd, but you can be happy if you have a mind to."
    Roger Miller?! This is a weird and awesome day of shuffling.
    cdriveChinaski
    edited September 2020
    started listening to the new Flaming Lips. really digging it. it's not a bunch of noise and racket like their last several albums. it's reminding me of their older good stuff with a 60's vibe.

edit: good headphone album
    Traviscdrive
  • I hit this weird mood that demanded that I keep repeating The Chain, Dreams, and Jackson Browne's Boulevard over and over and over again. It was fun, but an unexpected loop to get caught in. Running through a couple of Cymbals Eat Guitars records this afternoon for the first time in quite a while. Great stuff. Been too long.
    cdrive
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited September 2020
    Catching up with Steven Wilson and prog. Woke up and saw some YouTube review on some band and I thought what’s going on in prog?
    Well Steven Wilson’s new album The Future Bites comes out in January and there is a single Personal Shopper out now. 
    Anyway got some catching up to do.

album ad
    https://youtu.be/Asex3WtLPOA
    darwinfeeshy
    Greg Ashley playlist:

Schizophrenia - cover 
    Corporation Station Agent
    Sailing with Bobby
    East Texas Plain
    Brother Raymond

• Just another one of those bands that make you want to give up playing an instrument.

• kingbee67 said:
    Catching up with Steven Wilson
    Wilson's "The Raven That Refused to Sing" and "Drive Home" are both in my top 10 songs.

kingbee67
  • I'm just gonna drop this off right here. You're welcome.

cdrivejohnnytruantkingbee67
  • I hadn't heard this one in too long. One of my favorite verses of all time:
    "Holly saw a certain bird, but she couldn't work up any words
    She kind of lost her shoes and lost her mind and smashed her phone upon a fallen pine.
    And Daryl couldn't talk at all. He wondered how the trees had grown to be so tall.
    He calculated all the height and width and density for insurance purposes"

Such a great song. Such a cool thing to write a song about. Grandaddy was great.

cdriveChinaski
    ^Grandaddy was indeed a damn fine band. 
    TravisChinaski
    Going thru some new releases....

Romeoooooooooo
    and Juliefuckingette.

Malkmus - Juliefuckingette
    Jeff Tweedy - Guess Again
    The Minders - Home 
    TravisChinaski
  • @cdrive New Malkmus? Man, I'm out of touch. I had no idea. How is it?
    cdrive
    new Fleet Foxes (Shore) too.
    cdriveTravis
    Travis said:
    @cdrive New Malkmus? Man, I'm out of touch. I had no idea. How is it?
    Yeah I think it's catchy and chill.  Also, just like in The Boy with the Arab Strap, I'm partial to recorder flute solos!

Travis
  • Thanks for the heads up on that. Gonna give it a spin. I do dig that flute section in BwtAS. Just feels nice. Also, thanks @chinaski for the heads up on the Fleet Foxes. I had no idea. Very cool week for new stuff!

I'm wading through a bunch of older favorites to try to construct my "top 50 songs (mix tape rules)" for a twitter "release one pick for day countdown" thing. It's fun, but oddly stressful. Ha!

Regarding Flutes (a little funky silliness)...

Chinaskicdrive
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Anyone listen to the new Flaming Lips? It sounds good so far but that’s a band where you gotta give it more than one spin. My first and favorite was Yoshimi. I have been listening to do you realize a lot the last week or so.
    Travis
    kingbee67 said:
    Anyone listen to the new Flaming Lips? It sounds good so far but that’s a band where you gotta give it more than one spin. My first and favorite was Yoshimi. I have been listening to do you realize a lot the last week or so.
    this was my take when it came out a few weeks ago. i dig it.
    Chinaski said:
    started listening to the new Flaming Lips. really digging it. it's not a bunch of noise and racket like their last several albums. it's reminding me of their older good stuff with a 60's vibe.

edit: good headphone album
    kingbee67Travis
  • Is it even a hot take to say that Push It by Salt N Peppa is in essence twice as long as it should be? I mean, that riff is killer, the "ah-push it" breaks are catchy and cool, and the like 8 bars of rapping that happens are really good, but man that's a great two minute well that they go to for 4 1/2. C'mon SP&S. Once it devolves into that "you really got me" section it's just kind of a "you guys are just making more song for the sake of making more song aren't you?" type of situation.
    Chinaskicdrive