Bald Move Metalheads unite \m/

edited March 2018 in General
I know there are a few metalheads on this forum, so I thought I'd start a thread. For all y'all non metalheads, just ignore the vocals and focus on the music, mannnnnn. It's so fucking heavy. Music is art, and there should always be space for dark, heavy art.

Metal is so fucking awesome. System of a Down and Metallica were early musical influences of mine. Now, Meshuggah, Animals as Leaders, TesseracT, and The Contortionist are probably my favorite metal bands (8 strings 4 life!!!!). Also, for those who have been out of the metal game for a bit, this should serve as a nice intro to modern metal.

Literally all of modern modern metal is standing on the shoulders of Meshuggah (Umeå, Sweden). Djent is based on their sound. They have been ahead of their time since the mid 90's. Polyrhythms over a 4/4 beat is the new status quo. Crazy riffs that you can still headbang to. Those Swedes, man. They know heavy music. Here's Bill Burr discussing the genius of "Meshuggah -- Bleed". I have to agree with him. I've seen them live and it's probably the closest I've come to having a religious experience. The riff-switch at 2:37 is the greatest. Anyway, here's another great song.

Meshuggah -- In Death is Life/In Death is Death

Animals as Leaders (D.C, USA) is a bit more melodic, and heavily technical. They're a three piece band (two 8-string guitarists, 1 drummer). Their lead guitarist, Tosin Abasi, is a true virtuoso. He's a guitarist's guitarist. Heavily syncopated rhythms and melodies are their bread and butter. Their first album (Animals as Leaders -- Self titled [2009]) is pure gold.

Animals as Leaders -- Tempting Time

TesseracT (England, UK) is a full band, and one of the most melodic of the three I've listed (they actually have clean vocals). 

TesseracT -- Exile

The Contortionist (Indianapolis, USA), another full band. They combine melodic and polyrhythmic metal very well.

The Contorionist -- Language Pt. 1

[Deleted User]ChinaskiDaniel

Comments

• Gojira!

Chinaskidarwinfeeshy
  • edited March 2018
    Gojira!

Gojira is one of the best of all time!!!!!! Saw them in Portland, OR a few years back. "From Mars to Sirius" is always in my rotation.
    CretanBull
  • Gojira!

Gojira is one of the best of all time!!!!!! Saw them in Portland, OR a few years back. "From Mars to Sirius" is always in my rotation.
    I grew up on metal...I lost interest sometime in the 90's or so (crappy Nu Metal was even influencing the old-school bands and I noped-out).  I missed Gojira's first album, but when 'The Link' came out my friend gave me a copy and it pulled me back in!
    darwinfeeshyChinaski
  • Gojira!

I grew up on metal...I lost interest sometime in the 90's or so (crappy Nu Metal was even influencing the old-school bands and I noped-out).  I missed Gojira's first album, but when 'The Link' came out my friend gave me a copy and it pulled me back in!

CretanBull
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    In honor of this thread I’m listing to The Boneyard on XM all day. They played like 6 kick ass tunes before a not so kick ass Anthrax tune. 

Maiden rules! 
    Chinaskidarwinfeeshy
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    still to this day one of the loudest intense shows i ever went to was a metal show.. Morbid Angel, Soul Fly and Pantera \m/

darwinfeeshy
  • I was more into the hardcore/post hardcore genre in high school, but I acknowledge that metal influenced them greatly.
    darwinfeeshy
  • gguenot said:
    I was more into the hardcore/post hardcore genre in high school, but I acknowledge that metal influenced them greatly.
    I was far more into hardcore than metal, but I loved metal and hip-hop too - I was drawn to edgy music that was full of energy!

Back in the 90's I worked for my friend's band and they went across Canada with COC!
    gguenot
  • As I Lay Dying, Avenged Sevenfold (before the lead singer had his vocal surgery), Haste The Day,Thrice (not quite hardcore, but in the realm), Trivium, Killswitch Engage, Bullet for my Valentine

These days I listen to 90% electronic, but a great cross over is Excision. Shit makes you headbang like no other.

DoubleA_Rondarwinfeeshy
  • DoubleA_RonDoubleA_Ron San Diego
    edited March 2018
    gguenot said:
    As I Lay Dying, Avenged Sevenfold (before the lead singer had his vocal surgery), Haste The Day,Thrice (not quite hardcore, but in the realm), Trivium, Killswitch Engage, Bullet for my Valentine

These days I listen to 90% electronic, but a great cross over is Excision. Shit makes you headbang like no other.

+1 for Haste the Day!  All-time favorite Christian metal band... and good ol’ Indiana boys too!

Some of my other favorite metal:

Periphery
    Northlane 
    Beartooth
    August Burns Red
    Fire From The Gods
    Vanna
    A Day To Remember
    Katatonia
    Opeth

Also, probably not technically considered metal, but anyone who hasn’t checked out Ghost should give them a try.  Fantastic band IMO, theatrics aside.

darwinfeeshygguenot
  • edited March 2018
    @DoubleA_Ron Periphery is one of the greatest! Definitely one of my top bands of all time. Periphery 1 & 2, and Alpha & Omega are all such good albums.

gguenot said:
    As I Lay Dying, Avenged Sevenfold (before the lead singer had his vocal surgery), Haste The Day,Thrice (not quite hardcore, but in the realm), Trivium, Killswitch Engage, Bullet for my Valentine

I definitely used to fuck with As I Lay Dying, Avenged Sevenfold, and Bullet for my Valentine! And I can get down with Excision.
    gguenot
This discussion has been closed.