Episode 601 - 'Dead Hand'

If IMDB is correct -

Director:  Chris Long
Writer(s):  Joel Fields, Joseph Weisberg

Excited for the final chapter!!
KingKobraDrew

Comments

• We should all commit to our jobs like Elizabeth.
    Elisa
  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited March 2018
    Stan spots Oleg spying on P&E?  

or

Oleg spots Stan with P&E?

majjam0770ElisahypergenesbFlukes
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited March 2018
    That was really good. So glad to have this show back.

They give Oleg a wife, baby, and a sweet beard ... And send him back to America for "one last mission." I'm officially very worried for him.

Elizabeth ice cold as ever ... Young men, don't mess with Page unless you want to end up with a knife in the neck.

And now we have Elizabeth's suicide pill looming over the season. She looks worn down taking on all the spy work without Philip ... Who in turn looks very refreshed being out of the game; he's even line dancing! When he gets the signal from Oleg he looks so bummed out.

As always amazing use of music, and a ton of it ... Peter Gabriel, Talking Heads, Fleetwood Mac all in the same episode, good stuff. Especially the Peter Gabriel song swelling over the meeting in Mexico ... "We Do as We're Told."

DaniDrewKingKobraElisa
  • edited March 2018
    Fantastic episode, excited and worried about what's coming in the rest of the season. Specifically, Oleg. I am so, so worried about Oleg. (Speaking of Oleg, The Americans is the latest show to get in on the trend of final seasons beginning with time jumps and at least one character growing a beard.)

I'm torn on Chekhov's Cyanide Pill - on the one hand, it's very clearly being set up for something, but on the other it feels almost like it was telegraphed *too* strongly. We all know this show is fond of setting you up to expect one thing and then going in a completely different direction (remember Mischa, anyone?) so it could go either way.

As always, a real shame A.Ron could never get into this, coverage for this show would have been fascinating. This final season has the potential to be an all-timer.
    DrewElisa
  • Just watched the first episode... I find the setup to be really intriguing, setting Philip and Elizabeth against each other. I wonder how Paige and Stan are going to fit into the picture. Looks like it's going to be an epic and intense final season. However, I feel like they went a little overboard with the musical montages... One would have been enough. This was just too much for my liking, ha.
    Drew
  • Reni said:
    Just watched the first episode... I find the setup to be really intriguing, setting Philip and Elizabeth against each other. I wonder how Paige and Stan are going to fit into the picture. Looks like it's going to be an epic and intense final season. However, I feel like they went a little overboard with the musical montages... One would have been enough. This was just too much for my liking, ha.

haha yea they did go a bit crazy with the music montages this episode ... but I don't care, they pick such great songs for the scenes, I figure it's the last season, just play all those songs you've had lined up guys!
    DrewElisa
  • tom_g said:
    Stan spots Oleg spying on P&E?  

or

Oleg spots Stan with P&E?

Didn't think of this as a possibility while watching the show - good call, another source of stress while watching future episodes.  

Really good first episode - only minor complaint is that to me it felt a bit too convenient for Oleg to be brought into contact with Philip, and for Oleg to go along with it so easily at great personal risk to himself and his family when it is a bit of a dodgy prospect to set Philip against Elizabeth and expect results.  Though I was stupidly happy about Oleg and Philip meeting.  

Wonder if there will be any fall-out from the semi-creepy navy guy?  Unless Elizabeth carried him into the car trunk or something, his dead body will likely make the news and Paige would put two-and-two together.  And the cyanide pill?  What will its fate be?  There has to be some terrible things this season.  I am excited and a bit scared to see what happens.   

DrewElisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Loved that Talking Heads song. Music was wonderful. 
  • Elisa said:
    Loved that Talking Heads song. Music was wonderful. 
    Always is ;) 
    Elisa
  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited March 2018
    Fantastic episode, ...

As always, a real shame A.Ron could never get into this, coverage for this show would have been fascinating. This final season has the potential to be an all-timer.
    It is especially unfortunate since A.Ron has always recognized the quality of the show.  The story line that drove him off was designed to show the growing difference between Phillip and Elizabeth.  Phillip would not cross the line and sleep with the underage Kimberly, Elizabeth would have used her and killed her in a second if necessary.  It was important to show that growing difference.

A.Ron drew a line in the sand, and quit before the line was crossed - and, it never was.
    WintersComingAfterFallKingKobraFlukes
This discussion has been closed.