Post Your Dankest Memes

Comments

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Who are they?
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited January 21
    Who are they?

Ben Shapiro (left) and Joe Rogan (right)

Ben Shapiro is prominent right-wing political/social commentator, who (I think) is most popular among younger conservatives as he's an internet (youtube etc) commentator and isn't (as far as I know) on any of the TV networks.

Joe Rogan is a "comedian" (he's not remotely funny IMO) and a podcaster.  His podcast is the largest in the world with 11 million listeners per episode. In recent years he's become more political and veered off to the right, he's gotten a lot of criticism for platforming alt-right political figures and most recently a string of anti-vaxx "scientists".   He's massively influential, especially among men of a particular age (maybe 20-45 year olds?), which is unfortunate because he's a garbage human being ie he loves ranting against feminism, talks shit about trans people, spreads medical misinformation, conspiracy theories etc
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited January 21
    you know the scum and juice at the bottom of a dumpster that's filled with rotting things? that's basically Joe Rogan but worse.
    MichelleCretanBull
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited January 21
    Chinaski said:
    you know the scum and juice at the bottom of a dumpster that's filled with rotting things? that's basically Joe Rogan but worse.
    Yeh calling Joe Rogan dumpster juice is punching down on dumpster juice. 
    ChinaskiMichelleCretanBull
    cdrive said:
    Chinaski said:
    Yeh calling Joe Rogan dumpster juice is punching down on dumpster juice. 
    fact.
    cdriveMichelleCretanBull
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Who are they?

Ben Shapiro (left) and Joe Rogan (right)

Ben Shapiro is prominent right-wing political/social commentator, who (I think) is most popular among younger conservatives as he's an internet (youtube etc) commentator and isn't (as far as I know) on any of the TV networks.

Joe Rogan is a "comedian" (he's not remotely funny IMO) and a podcaster.  His podcast is the largest in the world with 11 million listeners per episode. In recent years he's become more political and veered off to the right, he's gotten a lot of criticism for platforming alt-right political figures and most recently a string of anti-vaxx "scientists".   He's massively influential, especially among men of a particular age (maybe 20-45 year olds?), which is unfortunate because he's a garbage human being ie he loves ranting against feminism, talks shit about trans people, spreads medical misinformation, conspiracy theories etc
    Oh I know them. Just had no clue what they look like. Now my eyes are burning from their ugliness. 

Coincidence that my lunchtime question for this week was going to be about Rogan and the push to hold podcasters accountable for spreading lies (false information, untruths, political bullshit…) we don’t even hold newscasters accountable so not very confident they’ll be much affect in the podcast world. 
    CretanBull
  • Our boy Clay is SO CLOSE to realizing that the problem isn't $15/h but rather that teachers are underpaid.

• DeeDee Adelaide
    @CretanBull $33660?? The starting salary in Australia for teachers is about $65000 - $46000 in USD. And even that seems kind of low to me. It’s amazing they actually have people wanting to be teachers there. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @CretanBull that's actually a little misleading.  You have to make *minimum* $33,660 for a 10-month contract (school year) and that's only for a teacher with zero years of experience.  That's not starting salary for all teachers.
    Per this article by Micah Fikes from Sept. 2020:

This site lists the average teachers' salaries by state for 2022.: https://www.purefy.com/learn/what-is-the-average-teacher-salary

It makes me wonder who actually does their research when creating memes like this.
    That said, I think we can all agree that teachers are some of the most underpaid workers given how much they put up with and how much they give of themselves on a daily basis, and that doesn't end at the end of the school day when the bell rings.

• Michelle said:
    @CretanBull that's actually a little misleading.  You have to make *minimum* $33,660 for a 10-month contract (school year) and that's only for a teacher with zero years of experience.  That's not starting salary for all teachers.

This site lists the average teachers' salaries by state for 2022.: https://www.purefy.com/learn/what-is-the-average-teacher-salary

It makes me wonder who actually does their research when creating memes like this.
    That said, I think we can all agree that teachers are some of the most underpaid workers given how much they put up with and how much they give of themselves on a daily basis, and that doesn't end at the end of the school day when the bell rings.

I'm confused?  Both the meme and the article that you quoted list the starting salary of new teachers as being $33,600.
  • Dee said:
    @CretanBull $33660?? The starting salary in Australia for teachers is about $65000 - $46000 in USD. And even that seems kind of low to me. It’s amazing they actually have people wanting to be teachers there. 

In my province (Ontario) the starting rate is $52k, but it scales pretty well.  After 15 years it's $80k or $96k if you have a Masters. In AUS currency, that's $57k to start and $88k or $106 with a Masters after 15 years.
    Michelle said:

I'm confused?  Both the meme and the article that you quoted list the starting salary of new teachers as being $33,600.
    Okay, now I feel like an idiot because I missed the 'beginning' wording in the meme.

CretanBull
  • Michelle said:
    Michelle said:

Okay, now I feel like an idiot because I missed the 'beginning' wording in the meme.

Ah!  Ok!  No biggie, I was just confused and thought that I was missing something ha!
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I used to have THE biggest crush on the singer of Marcy Playground!  He was so hot.
    Dee
    edited January 31
    Edit:  I hate when my pics are removed by the site I stole them from! :sweat_smile:
    Teresa from ConcordCretanBull
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    haha yes!! the David Byrne suit from the Stop Making Sense concert film!
    CretanBull
    I mean, it's no coincidence that Walgreens and their $1 boxes of candy are right across the street from our theater. :p
    CretanBullChinaski
    That was me back in the day for movies and sporting events but with little mini bar bottles of whiskey in my socks. 
    ChinaskiCretanBullMichelle
    cdrive said:
    That was me back in the day for movies and sporting events but with little mini bar bottles of whiskey in my socks. 
    haha full on beer cans in socks at shows happened quite often in my silly youth.
    cdriveCretanBullMichelle
    Chinaski said:
    cdrive said:
    haha full on beer cans in socks at shows happened quite often in my silly youth.
    My man  :D
    CretanBullChinaskiMichelle