Episode 604 - 'Mr. and Mrs. Teacup'

Director:  Roxanne Dawson
Writers:  Peter Ackerman, Joseph Weisberg

Comments

• Will Elizabeth go 4 for 4?
    adampaszElisa
  • One question I've been thinking about, while I recognize that Phillip is retired, I'd still have to think that him and Elizabeth are compensated quite well or would have access to some sort of slush fund so that they don't run into any financial problems.  So, I don't see how Phillip could be feeling the squeeze with regards to money. 

Also, was shocked to see Kimmy back.  Figured that was done but I guess not.

Elisa
  • I've wondered the same about the Jennings' finances.  But, we know that is coming to an end at some point.
  • Not only is Elizabeth doing a whole lot of murdering this season, she also is getting splattered with a disgusting assortment of bodily fluids.
    Elisa
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada

One question I've been thinking about, while I recognize that Phillip is retired, I'd still have to think that him and Elizabeth are compensated quite well or would have access to some sort of slush fund so that they don't run into any financial problems.  So, I don't see how Phillip could be feeling the squeeze with regards to money. 

The only thing I can think of is that any discrepancy between the health of their business and their lifestyle would be a tiny bit of circumstantial evidence that might  tip off the FBI if they had any other reason to look at them.

I really felt for Phillip when he was telling Henry about the problem.

ElisaKingKobra
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 2018
    Flukes said:

One question I've been thinking about, while I recognize that Phillip is retired, I'd still have to think that him and Elizabeth are compensated quite well or would have access to some sort of slush fund so that they don't run into any financial problems.  So, I don't see how Phillip could be feeling the squeeze with regards to money. 

The only thing I can think of is that any discrepancy between the health of their business and their lifestyle would be a tiny bit of circumstantial evidence that might  tip off the FBI if they had any other reason to look at them.

Yea I have a feeling their support from Russia is pretty limited to risk possible exposure; money trails are often what bring crime organizations down.
  • MrX said:
    Flukes said:

Yea I have a feeling their support from Russia is pretty limited to risk possible exposure; money trails are often what bring crime organizations down.
    I totally get what you guys are saying but there is a slight difference between being totally covert and willing to leave on a dime (like Phillip and Elizabeth would if they thought they were being investigated) and organized crime.  So, realistically, the FBI would have no reason to look into Phillip and Elizabeth's travel agency financial matters if money was there to support it from an outside source ensuring that they aren't having financial problems.  Just seems like if an agent was having money problems, they might be more willing to do riskier things outside of the agency which could lead to problems.
  • The financial situation is odd and one would think the Soviets would be supporting Philip and Elizabeth.  They could launder money through their travel agency pretty easily (they do all sorts of other sneaky crimes, seems they would be up for this.)   Also now that Henry is older and more observant, and Paige is gone to college (he would be alone with his parents and more likely to question strange things), it would make sense that the USSR would want to keep him at boarding school.  Oh well - I don't know if we will ever get resolution on this.   

Would be funny if Philip taking out more money ended up with their identities being revealed.  Like an ID check by a bank showed Philip Jennings was deceased, leading to an investigation.  Not likely but would be an ironic sort of twist if capitalistic desires lead to the spies' downfall.  

Elisa
  • One question I've been thinking about, while I recognize that Phillip is retired, I'd still have to think that him and Elizabeth are compensated quite well or would have access to some sort of slush fund so that they don't run into any financial problems.  So, I don't see how Phillip could be feeling the squeeze with regards to money. 

I pretty much agree with Flukes on this one. These are super covert agents who only a select few actually know about. They are doing this for country NOT money (which leads to more devoted agents). If this were about the money it would be too easy to “flip” someone. It would be kind of a red flag if business was going horribly then all of a sudden there was a large influx of cash that couldn’t really be traced. They are just trying to be a “normal” American family. From past episodes I think they’d be told to “deal with it” and there is no money for them. 
    Elisa
  • Agree that Phillip and Elizabeth are agents because they believe in their country but at the same point, if they were dead broke it wouldn't work for them either.  They have to have some sort of income.  And if business is failing and all of a sudden they're struggling, then that can become a problem.  People that sell gov't secrets probably didn't start out by saying to themselves that they wanted to sell secrets, but when circumstances happen and you're really strapped for cash, then sometimes you might do something that you don't normally end up doing.  Granted, Phillip is higher up on the spectrum in terms of loyalty but every person has their breaking point....

This discussion has been closed.