Episode 606 - 'Rafifi'

Director: Kevin Bray
Writers: Stephen Schiff, Justin Weinberger, Joe Weisberg

Elisa

Comments

• The production team has responded to a question raised here in one of our previous threads, and echoed by one of our favorite TV critics.  See below - see the first point in the 'some other thoughts' section.

https://uproxx.com/sepinwall/the-americans-recap-rififi-review-spoilers/

This episode was one of my favorites of the series - like the Sopranos and Breaking Bad, the role of, and, impact on 'family' is going to be central to how this thing ends.  It is going to be gut wrenching.  Poor Henry.
    Elisabazjenster
  • Oh yeah - Henry is going to summer in West Virginia - a tannery - I might know where that is!!
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited May 2018
    Sepinwall article is interesting. Especially the Rafifi/Breaking Bad tidbit.

I know what this show IS, but sometimes I really wish it would just cut loose or accelerate a bit. But at least it doesn't get into Sons of Anarchy silliness, where every episode they narrowly escape discovery or pull miracles out of their asses.

Seems to me the first season or two moved a little faster. I like the Paige storyline - which isn't true for a lot of people - but it did seem to slow things down a bit and kept the plot closer to home.

And man do I like spy Philip better than mopey sad businessman Philip.

Elisa
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    The FBI is really starting to vacuum up breadcrumbs. I'm glad to see Stan getting pulled further back into Counter-Intelligence. I really want to see him and Phillip interact with all the cards on the table.
    Elisa
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    tom_g said:
    The production team has responded to a question raised here in one of our previous threads, and echoed by one of our favorite TV critics.  See below - see the first point in the 'some other thoughts' section.

https://uproxx.com/sepinwall/the-americans-recap-rififi-review-spoilers/

This episode was one of my favorites of the series - like the Sopranos and Breaking Bad, the role of, and, impact on 'family' is going to be central to how this thing ends.  It is going to be gut wrenching.  Poor Henry.
    The point about pride keeping Phillip from even telling the Center about the problems at the travel agency is a good one. I have to think that they might have other ways of knowing though.

This episode was really good. I think angry-at-each-other Phillip and Elizabeth who are also spying together (which we should see next ep) might be the best flavour.
    Elisa
  • previews for upcoming were exciting
    Elisa
  • I buy into that perhaps the Center does not know that the travel agency is struggling but I guess I thought that they would be giving Phillip and Elizabeth enough money that it wouldn't be an issue.  I mean, I guess I thought before Phillip "retired" that their business couldn't have been that great to begin with since they were constantly always leaving doing random assignments.  I know Phillip moved on and then renovated and expanded the business but thought the Center would still be assisting somehow.

As for the episode, I would have bet a lot of money that Phillip was not going to tell Elizabeth that he basically tipped off Kimmy.  I loved the scene that he did but was totally shocked that he did it.  Although, just because Kimmy doesn't volunteer to go to a communist country, doesn't mean that they still couldn't have kidnapped her while she's in Greece and still going forward with Elizabeth's plan.

And it was definitely interesting to see how Phillip progressed in the episode in that he still does care/love Elizabeth and clearly does not want her to be arrested/killed so hence his willingness to help her (although he did try to appeal to her to abort the mission).

I do have to wonder what Paige was thinking as she sat there during Stan's thanksgiving speech.  I'm also very interested in seeing what message Phillip sent to Oleg.

Should make for some good resolutions coming as this show winds down.

Elisa
  • As for the episode, I would have bet a lot of money that Phillip was not going to tell Elizabeth that he basically tipped off Kimmy.  I loved the scene that he did but was totally shocked that he did it.  Although, just because Kimmy doesn't volunteer to go to a communist country, doesn't mean that they still couldn't have kidnapped her while she's in Greece and still going forward with Elizabeth's plan.

I 100% agree, and to offer a bit of criticism, it is VERY unlike Elizabeth to let this slide.  What Philip did, though for noble motives from our perspective, is pretty much treason from her perspective.  And could set off an investigation if Kimmy tells her dad what Philip said.  Kimmy could give a pretty good sketch of what Philip looks like to the FBI if nothing else, and give more info on how they operated, and he revealed some personal details that were true (he has a son, etc).  And they may find the tape in the briefcase.  The whole Kimmy kidnapping plan was ruthless and stupid imo.  That would not really be spy-work, that is crossing the line into overt hostile action.  Oh well - I love to nitpick but the show is strong overall so I can overlook the issues that do pop up.  

To add to my nitpicks a bit more - I feel the Chicago mission is a bit odd.  Wouldn't a directorate S illegal have an escape plan that wouldn't involve two other illegals risking getting made?  Why doesn't he just go to the Rezidentura or something?  We saw Elizabeth had some stashed passports and cash when Philip was searching her stuff.  It is a solid assumption the Chicago guy has that as well.  Can't he put on a disguise and lose the tail somehow, at least long enough to escape?  And what plan is so crazy that even Elizabeth is reluctant to try it?  She has done some gonzo stuff this season without questioning it.  

What I liked about this episode - good to see Henry fleshed out a bit more.  He really seems like a good kid.  He has a rude awakening of some sort ahead of him though.  And the Dennis character is great.  He is smart and proactive, seems like he will be able to smoke the Jennings's out unless something stops his investigation.   I liked how they used the info Gennadi was bringing them to help put pieces of the puzzle together.  And it is nice to see Philip offer to help Elizabeth, though maybe his motives are not purely on her side.  Philip is complicated.  And Elizabeth almost seemed jealous when she learned the other spy-lady seemed to have a closer bond with Erica.  She respects Erica on some level, and that has been good character development.  The best part was probably the mail robot cameo though.  I wonder how that 80's technological wonder knows what floor it is on to deliver the mail? And how does it get to all the floors it needs to?  Does it say "Press-floor 1" or whatever in a robotic voice when it gets on the elevator with someone?  We may never know....

AshleyOceanElisa
This discussion has been closed.