Background Watching Westworld [it's lost me]

Have you ever walked into a conversation halfway through someone telling a joke, the entire group is laughing and you are just sitting there as the punchline sails right past you?

...well I feel like I was standing there at the start of that conversation and still don't get the joke.

I was super hyped for for WW season 1, the cast was amazing, the budget was off the charts, the concept was cool and HBO rarely lets anyone down.
The first few episodes of season 1 I was waiting for WW to grow on me... it never did, and by about episode 6 or 7, I was pretty much going to see the season out and leave it at that...

Then I listened to the baldmove feed and the hype was real, so I decided I would give season 2 a shot - and considering I barely paid attention to the end of season 1, I went on YouTube to have season 1 explained to me...

Then came season 2, and it completely fell flat. I tried so hard to get into it and embrace the mystery, the riddle, the confusion, the.... whateverthefuck they are trying to do.

Instead I was just completely lost, I was just watching the show going 'who is this guy' 'why are they there' 'what are they doing that for' 'what are they talking about'... I was so confused by literally all of it.

I am usually the person everyone turns to if they want the plot explained to them... but with WW, no matter how hard I concentrated on the show, I could not tell you a single thing about the plot.

It got to the point where I felt the show is not posing these mysteries for some greater narrative sense; instead of felt like they are just being vague for the sake of being vague. In a writing sense, you don't ever want to pose so many questions to the audience that they can't handle it - the art of writing is to pose some questions, answer others; maybe not at a 1 to 1 ratio, but never to the point where the audience gets the sense they are constantly being posed questions and never given any answers.

Well I am way past my capacity to juggle all the questions I have been posed in this show, and I honestly couldn't give 1 answer the show has provided (probably because I am so fucking confused the answers have just sailed past me like the punchline of half a joke).

Am I the only one out there that has no clue what is going on?

I watch an episode and think 'that was garbage' then read the forums and people are loving it, or listen to the podcast and the boys think it was great.

I feel like I need an idiots guide to WW

/endofrant 
Flukes

Comments

• StoodawgStoodawg Kalamazoo, MI
    I feel you. I liked season 1 (for the most part) but I just kept falling asleep trying to watch the season 2 premier and just ended up confused. I have yet to force myself to watch this show which really sucks only because the majority of Bald Moves coverage right now is just this show. :(
    majjam0770
  • Even watching Alt Shift X's explanation videos - I still don't feel any closer to understanding this show.

I almost want there to a a 'ding' sound every time in his videos he poses a question. (in an explanation video, which probably illustrates my point)
  • If you’re background watching WW, you’re going to have a bad tjme 
    KingKobrarusskelly
  • edited May 2018
    If you didn't like WW S1, you're definitely not gonna like season 2. 

It's okay if you don't like the show, maybe it just isn't for you.
    KingKobra
  • I watched most of season 1, but gave up around the time that Bernard was revealed as a host and I heard that the multiple timelines theory had been confirmed. It seemed too much like something David Lynch would make, and I really dislike that style of ambiguous storytelling.

I think there are certain devices in fiction that pretty much doom the work they appear in. Uncertain timelines and uncertain identities of characters are 2 of these. Mr Robot and Legion have used them and I have come close to quitting those shows. I never watched Lost, but I've gathered that it did this too, and I remember people being exasperated by it.

• edited May 2018
    Yeah it’s definitely not a show you can background watch. I miss things all the time and I’m paying as close attention as I can. 

Unfortunately so far season 2 hasn’t been paying off for me personally. There is some interesting stuff going on but none of the complicated stuff has been worth the effort IMO and 6 episodes is kind of far in to hang on for it to start paying off so I definitely see people’s frustration. I’ve been trusting in the show but I’m losing patience too. 
    darwinfeeshymajjam0770
  • There is some interesting stuff going on but none of the complicated stuff has been worth the effort IMO and 6 episodes is kind of far in to hang on for it to start paying off so I definitely see people’s frustration. I’ve been trusting in the show but I’m losing patience too. 
    I agree that Season 2 is walking on thin ice now. S1 was so good that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until this season is finished. However, if this season flops, it's gonna flop hard. They're taking some pretty big risks with their storytelling style.
    NervousRhino
  • Nothing really payed off until the finale in Season 1, so I just assume that this season will be the same. In the meantime I’ll just enjoy all the theory crafting and the acting and all these cool characters that I’ve come to love.
    gguenotdarwinfeeshyNervousRhinoDoubleA_Ron
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited May 2018
    I've background watched everything in Shogun world. Also the entire ending of that fort fight episode. The show can get pretty boring, as opposed to The Expanse where I'm looking at the clock sad there's only 10 minutes left.

I'm fairly confident S2 will end strong, but it's tedious just the same. Also I don't think it's very rewatchable.
    Flukesmajjam0770
  • I completely get where you’re coming. I feel like Westworld has turned into LOST season 4 where there are 5 different mysteries, 4 hatches, and too many characters to keep track of. Also, besides the man in black, I feel like the show is lacking in Character Development. I’m just not emotionally invested in the show like I was for the majority of season 1. 
    majjam0770
  • StoodawgStoodawg Kalamazoo, MI
    That's bad to hear that season 2 is seeming tedious and people are "hoping" for a payoff. I'm not currently watching cuz I was bored stiff by the premier but I have been planning to revist eventually. It really sucks when a show has a good first season and then the 2nd is boring and lame and doesn't get good until the end. 
  • Idk, I find it really exciting and not too difficult to follow. 
    KingKobramajjam0770
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Stoodawg said:
    That's bad to hear that season 2 is seeming tedious and people are "hoping" for a payoff. I'm not currently watching cuz I was bored stiff by the premier but I have been planning to revist eventually. It really sucks when a show has a good first season and then the 2nd is boring and lame and doesn't get good until the end. 

There have been 2 really great episodes so far.
    majjam0770
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    I don't know. I'm finding it easy to follow the themes and timelines, and I think I'm picking up what they are putting down, even despite consciously not partaking in the reddit theorizing.
    Anything that I'm unsure of, I'm assuming will be answered by the end of the season. 

I will agree that it's not very rewatchable. In contrast to that, I can rewatch Game of Thrones episodes and seasons many times, and enjoy them almost as much as the first watch.
    JaimieTgguenotmajjam0770
  • gguenot said:
    Idk, I find it really exciting and not too difficult to follow. 
    Same, but I don’t go down the rabbit holes some do. This season has been different mystery wise since payoffs have been happening much more quickly. I see a lot of “forcing” of mystery (not sure how to explain that one) where folks are questioning everything, even if it’s not meant to be questioned (we won’t know till the end, but this far it’s been fairly straight forward). This show for sure isn’t for everyone, but lame and boring are not descriptors I would use for this season. 
    gguenot
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    I listened to Decoding Westworld during season one. Somehow they knew exactly how many timelines were going on and how to differentiate them right from the start. Even then, I had to rewatch episodes to get it to stick in my head. This season is pretty straight forward, imo, but I watch on my desktop and I find myself drifting off and doing other things sometimes while I'm watching. It is starting to pick up for me, though. That Samurai episode was badass.
  • MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
    I will preface this by saying I quit on LOST after a few feeble attempts. Mainly because of a lot of what is expressed in the previous posts: strange things happening, alternate or parallel timelines, inexplicable actions etc. But with WW, as a recent background watcher (not because the show is boring, just...life), I feel very differently about how it's going regarding comparisons to LOST. I may not know WHY every action is taking place in the plot - which I take as a matter of their storytelling device, or knowing true character motivations etc. But I certainly feel comfortable knowing WHAT is taking place. Whereas in LOST, and some of Lynch's work (of which I'm a fan of half of his stuff) things are too symbolic or figurative, or simply trying to evoke a mood or feeling. I don't think any of that is going on in WW. I would venture to say everything we're seeing is 'real' in the universe that is created, which is largely a sci-fi only universe, not fantasy, or dreamlike, or alternate reality. And even when it skirts close to this (read: simulation) it still has an in-universe sci-fi explanation. It is definitely cashing in on trust built up from the first season, but I still feel confident there is a payoff that merits (some) of the storytelling acrobatics.
    budesignsmajjam0770
This discussion has been closed.