Star Wars - General Discussion (Spoilers all)

Comments

• asmallcat said:
    KingKobra said:
    RO was basically a spy movie and that got trashed by fans (I liked it). Episodes 1-9 are basically the Skywalker saga so that kind of takes away from the essence of what is being described above. 

The war in the original sequels was a backdrop to the Skywalker saga. So, I think they could have continued that story with the Cold War in space backdrop.

In what we have now, Luke and Han are dead. All we have left are Kylo and (maybe) Leia(?) Rey, the main protagonist *apparently* is completely unrelated, so it’s not like the sequel trilogy has put an emphasis on continue the Skywalker saga.
    I think one thing all SW fans can agree on is, please, please god don't have CGI old leia play a major role in EP 9. 
    That is my biggest quibble with TLJ, I thought if she died in the “spaced” scene (you could even move it to the end) it would have been a fitting send off to her character.
    Doctor_Nick
  • JaimieT said:

About the recent gossip about Kathleen Kennedy having been nearly fired, Beyond The Trailer on YouTube had an interesting idea that I think might work. Assuming Kathleen Kennedy is under scrutiny right now (and I think that's safe to say), episode 9 is a very important movie for her. If fans decide to wait out this movie, we could "vote" for her being fired. I care so little about episode 9 that I'm thinking about trying that.

The more I've pondered this, the more I think she deserves it. Not that it's all her fault, but look what a great storyteller like John Lasseter can do for a brand. Or whoever's running Marvel. There have been four Star Wars movies under KK. I think one of them is good, I think one of them is merely fun, and the rest I hate. And one of them I think is absolutely fucking awful (RO). What kind of track record is that?

I'd love to see Star Wars in capable hands.
    How long have you been against powerful women??? 

j/k obviously
    JaimieT
  • Honestly, I don't know anyone can objectively site cause and effect when it comes to these movies. Even these facts about box office numbers are subject to other factors, like casting, competing movies, time since previous movie, etc. Sure Solo had negative press about reshoots, but so did Rogue One. 

My opinion is that Disney just got greedy and over-saturated the fanbase. Having it come out so soon after a controversial TLJ was a bigger problem, IMO. I don't think Solo was particular shot in an attractive manner--combined with the actor choice made the commercials kind of meh. Was the premise of a Solo movie flawed? Maybe. A lot of cool fan service, but nothing compelling that really mattered to the core Skywalker story (at least Rogue One had that). 

It's tough at this point. I have an apathy (now) about Ep 9, but not because of Solo. It's partially because of Star Wars fatigue and partially because TLJ didn't really build on TFA as well as it could have. There isn't a plot I need to see resolved. Leading up to ROJ, there were some cliffhangers and character arcs in motion. I've got none of that going into Ep. 9. If there's not any more Star Wars releases until 12/20/2019, I could see my anticipation rising again.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    rkcrawf said:
    JaimieT said:

About the recent gossip about Kathleen Kennedy having been nearly fired, Beyond The Trailer on YouTube had an interesting idea that I think might work. Assuming Kathleen Kennedy is under scrutiny right now (and I think that's safe to say), episode 9 is a very important movie for her. If fans decide to wait out this movie, we could "vote" for her being fired. I care so little about episode 9 that I'm thinking about trying that.

The more I've pondered this, the more I think she deserves it. Not that it's all her fault, but look what a great storyteller like John Lasseter can do for a brand. Or whoever's running Marvel. There have been four Star Wars movies under KK. I think one of them is good, I think one of them is merely fun, and the rest I hate. And one of them I think is absolutely fucking awful (RO). What kind of track record is that?

j/k obviously

I think she even said something about diversity being important to her, but it's white male directors and writers all down the line. Fucking maybe if women wrote a Star Wars movie or two, you'd have a great defense about the diversity not being political correctness and tacked on.
    rkcrawf
  • JaimieT said:
    rkcrawf said:
    JaimieT said:

j/k obviously

I think she even said something about diversity being important to her, but it's white male directors and writers all down the line. Fucking maybe if women wrote a Star Wars movie or two, you'd have a great defense about the diversity not being political correctness and tacked on.
    This. Been bothering me since someone (RLM?) called them out on that. Maybe it'd have resulted in characters that are not 5 inches deep.

I dunno. I get caught up with my expectations on what was originally a space fantasy franchise. Maybe it is just suffering from its own weight in having to be a masterpiece to all people.
    JaimieT
    rkcrawf said:
    JaimieT said:
    rkcrawf said:
    JaimieT said:

j/k obviously

This. Been bothering me since someone (RLM?) called them out on that. Maybe it'd have resulted in characters that are not 5 inches deep.

I dunno. I get caught up with my expectations on what was originally a space fantasy franchise. Maybe it is just suffering from its own weight in having to be a masterpiece to all people.

I think it was RLM that brought it to my attention. Which I haven't touted enough. The guys who are THE fandom authority on what makes for a good Star Wars movie before any of this got political? Almost perfectly in line with my opinions on these new movies, and I formed those opinions before knowing theirs (because they are tardy with those vids). I think Aron holds the same opinions too, as a whole. So here we have several people who know the difference between reasonable and unreasonable expectations of a genre and franchise, who can speak to the difference, saying their expectations of the genre and franchise are reasonable... and yet they get discredited in various ways. As though in this matter they are suddenly delusional.

I'm not saying this to deride anyone who disagrees with them. I'm saying this to say I don't think our opinion (or "side"?) is unfair or unreasonable.
  • JaimieT said:
    rkcrawf said:
    JaimieT said:
    rkcrawf said:
    JaimieT said:

j/k obviously

I think it was RLM that brought it to my attention. Which I haven't touted enough. The guys who are THE fandom authority on what makes for a good Star Wars movie before any of this got political? Almost perfectly in line with my opinions on these new movies, and I formed those opinions before knowing theirs (because they are tardy with those vids). I think Aron holds the same opinions too, as a whole. So here we have several people who know the difference between reasonable and unreasonable expectations of a genre and franchise, who can speak to the difference, saying their expectations of the genre and franchise are reasonable... and yet they get discredited in various ways. As though in this matter they are suddenly delusional.

I'm not saying this to deride anyone who disagrees with them. I'm saying this to say I don't think our opinion (or "side"?) is unfair or unreasonable.
    This is what I don’t get...I don’t think anyone here has said that your opinions are unfair or unreasonable. We may not agree with your opinions, but that should be understood as OK from both sides. We have had posts saying this is what makes a “good” movie, etc which kind of dismisses anyone else’s feelings or opinions on what they as an individual think make a good movie. I’m going to exit this thread I guess, because it seems to be taking a similar turn to the others. 
    @KingKobra - Read the last paragraph of what @rkcrawf wrote. Don't throw yourself on that grenade, man. 
  • JaimieT said:
    rkcrawf said:
    JaimieT said:
    rkcrawf said:
    JaimieT said:

j/k obviously

I find the opposite to be true. It seems to me, the defenders of TLJ (and the franchise as a whole), write off all critics as part of some MAGA crowd (as if there were a heavy intersection of those two groups). I get that some of the fan base has been hyper-critical of things, and some of those criticisms are not the most PC, but any honest fan of TLJ should at least be open to hearing valid film-making arguments, even if they disagree. Shit, only a Sith believes in absolutes!!

I forgot to mention, despite the relative good quality of TFA, the high box-office returns are due to it being the first one in a long time. 
  • edited July 2018
    JaimieT said:
    @KingKobra - Read the last paragraph of what @rkcrawf wrote. Don't throw yourself on that grenade, man. 
    @KingKobra Yeah. I was speaking to debates on TLJ & Solo on general social media. Didn't mean this thread at all. I have found most, if not all of the arguments on this site, to be reasoned. 
    rkcrawf said:
    JaimieT said:
    rkcrawf said:
    JaimieT said:
    rkcrawf said:
    JaimieT said:

j/k obviously

I find the opposite to be true. It seems to me, the defenders of TLJ (and the franchise as a whole), write off all critics as part of some MAGA crowd (as if there were a heavy intersection of those two groups). I get that some of the fan base has been hyper-critical of things, and some of those criticisms are not the most PC, but any honest fan of TLJ should at least be open to hearing valid film-making arguments, even if they disagree. Shit, only a Sith believes in absolutes!!

I forgot to mention, despite the relative good quality of TFA, the high box-office returns are due to it being the first one in a long time. 

I'm not sure what you think the opposite of me on. But high five for it converging with my proposed meme!
    rkcrawf
  • rkcrawf said:
    JaimieT said:
    @KingKobra Yeah. I was speaking to debates on TLJ & Solo on general social media. Didn't mean this thread at all. I have found most, if not all of the arguments on this site, to be reasoned. 
    Yes I know, but I’ve seen what I wrote posted in previous threads on this forum. That is what I was getting at. Both sides of this are at fault with these discussions, period. This forum can be a very good discussion platform, but there are somethings that can go too far on either side of the argument. I try to walk on eggshells in these conversations as it can easily get heated for no reason at all.

As I’ve preciously said, I liked the movie and enjoy having an open discussion about it, but if you tell me I’m wrong for thinking it’s a good movie (because it’s a bad movie according to xyz) , then that’s a kill switch. 

• JaimieT said:
    What grenade? I’m sorry, but I’m just stating something I’ve seen here in the forums and outside of them. Like I said before, I think I’m out (again). 
  • @JaimieT

You said: I'm not saying this to deride anyone who disagrees with them. I'm saying this to say I don't think our opinion (or "side"?) is unfair or unreasonable.

I was agreeing with you in an unclear manner. I guess I interpreted your conclusion to mean that you don't find those with critical opinions to be unfair/unreasonable. I probably should have just said that I agree, and think it's the defenders of the film that are often the most unreasonable. 

I read statements that "die-hard fans" are the ones who hate Rose, who want to do a remake, who hate KK because she is a woman. What I actually observe, is that those complaints are coming from a small but vocal contingent of the fandom. The majority of the qualms that I read have to do with theme, tone, character arcs, pacing, etc., and it's the defenders of the franchise that seem to ignore it and to lump everyone together as "haters."  Ancedotal, and not universal, but def been my overwhelming experience. I can site several articles saying that if you didn't like TLJ, then you are anti-feminist.
    KingKobra
    @rkcrawf - Okay I understand now. I have observed similar things to what you described, and maybe you're right in your conclusion of the the fan landscape. I think politics has worn me out on focusing on the divisions of opinion. Or saying things like "both sides are at fault." That conversation just doesn't interest me personally, not that it shouldn't be had. I slipped into it to say, essentially, "Hey don't think the thing you want is impossible to get because I think it's very possible." But otherwise I'm more interested in film criticism and business speculation. :)
    rkcrawf
  • rkcrawf said:
    @JaimieT

You said: I'm not saying this to deride anyone who disagrees with them. I'm saying this to say I don't think our opinion (or "side"?) is unfair or unreasonable.

I was agreeing with you in an unclear manner. I guess I interpreted your conclusion to mean that you don't find those with critical opinions to be unfair/unreasonable. I probably should have just said that I agree, and think it's the defenders of the film that are often the most unreasonable. 

I read statements that "die-hard fans" are the ones who hate Rose, who want to do a remake, who hate KK because she is a woman. What I actually observe, is that those complaints are coming from a small but vocal contingent of the fandom. The majority of the qualms that I read have to do with theme, tone, character arcs, pacing, etc., and it's the defenders of the franchise that seem to ignore it and to lump everyone together as "haters."  Ancedotal, and not universal, but def been my overwhelming experience. I can site several articles saying that if you didn't like TLJ, then you are anti-feminist.
    This is something I can agree with. There is a very clear line between those that had reasonable issues with the movie and those that are in the “burn it down” camp. The only issue is that it continues to be said that “defenders of the franchise lump everyone together” which is basically doing the same thing (lumping everyone together) (with the caveats you have made of course). Extremism breeds extremism on both sides and it’s become toxic. 
    rkcrawf
  • KingKobra said:
    rkcrawf said:
    @JaimieT

This is something I can agree with. There is a very clear line between those that had reasonable issues with the movie and those that are in the “burn it down” camp. The only issue is that it continues to be said that “defenders of the franchise lump everyone together” which is basically doing the same thing (lumping everyone together) (with the caveats you have made of course). Extremism breeds extremism on both sides and it’s become toxic. 
    Yes, but I am happy to keep the topic to what the OP originally intended.
    KingKobra
  • rkcrawf said:
    KingKobra said:
    rkcrawf said:
    @JaimieT

Yes, but I am happy to keep the topic to what the OP originally intended.
    I’m not even sure what that is anymore ;) is it a general discussion or a specific one? 
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited July 2018
    Epic TLJ remake poster trolling the fanboys who are wanting to remake the movie. And yes, Kylo's flame saber is vape. I really wish they could have captured Luke never having had a moment of weakness in his life. Wooboy.

JaimieTAww_PHuuCkasmallcat[Deleted User]
    The Millenium Falcon fighting the Slave, hahah.

"My Origins." "My Plan." re: Snoke.
  • ... I don’t understand what Finn is doing.
    I kinda want to see this low budget monstrosity made now. If for no other reason than scenes with Snoke methodically giving us his entire backstory and plans via an overhead projector.

"Wait, wait, wait. you can't leave now. I haven't even told you about the Zardavian rebellion yet. It's the best part. SIT DOWN!"
    ... I don’t understand what Finn is doing.

The only thing I can think of is he's like a droid, projecting something from his eye. I'm not sure why that's funny though...
    JoshuaHeter
    JaimieT said:
    ... I don’t understand what Finn is doing.

The only thing I can think of is he's like a droid, projecting something from his eye. I'm not sure why that's funny though...
    He's wearing a fedora. That's all I got. 
    JoshuaHeter
    A fantastic Tom & Lorenzo article about Rey's costuming. It made me see TLJ and her character development in a different way. 

KingKobraweeniegirl
  • StoodawgStoodawg Kalamazoo, MI
    @JaimieT Is the Scientist Man from your video the same guy who does the Mr. Plinkett videos? His voice sounds like the same guy. 
  • Doors and corners, doors and corners.
    Stoodawg said:
    @JaimieT Is the Scientist Man from your video the same guy who does the Mr. Plinkett videos? His voice sounds like the same guy. 

Yep, that's Mike Stoklasa. The channel on YouTube is called Red Letter Media.
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I agree with Rich Evans.  Star Wars is creativity bankrupt. 

They are so so so afraid of trying something new that even if they hire hot Directors/writers they end up firing them because it wasn't "star wars" enough.  

Basically what that means is every new movie is doomed to be cripled by some executive cramming "things we know" into the movie.  

TLJ was a perfect example of this.  You had a chase movie where the entire film grinds to a halt in act 2 so we can get the casino scness so TLJ can have it's canteena moment.  

Not every damn film needs a cantina scene.  Not every film needs to be shoehorned into being about rebels vs the Empire.  

Until we can get a star wars movie where it can stand on its own without needing any of these references or tie ins I don't think I will care much.  At least JJ knows how to make an entetaentert movie so episode 9 will at least be a fun watcb even though we all know there won't be real payoffs to anything that has been set up.  

As much as I hated TLJ I hope Rian Johnson really does get to tell a story in his trilogy that isn't shackled to the old films. 

JaimieT