Star Wars - General Discussion (Spoilers all)

Comments

• edited July 2018
    Last Jedi's on Netflix.  I only watched it once before and I really just can't get through it again.  I reflexively closed my browser window in the first four minutes during that "comedy" bit with Poe at the beginning. 
    Seriously...what the fuck?  "Hugs?" "Your mom?" That is objectively terrible humor for dumb children. 

After a short break I dove back in, but I'm stopping it again at the part where the lady zaps Finn only for us to cut immediately to a scene where they come up with a plan together.  The tazing is played for comedy, and the only reason it's there is so you can get Finn all limp-armed and "I can't feel my teeth" in the next scene.  It's HILARIOUS.  You could've just had her confront him at the escape pod, they banter a little and then come up with the plan, but no.  We just need that extra couple minutes of amateurish physical comedy.  Fuck.  This movie is just dumb.  Maybe there's a couple good bits, but that's like saying you could eat the corn in your turd if you were hungry enough.  I really loved the Force Awakens.  Only time I've seen a movie twice in theaters.  I was GIDDY with anticipation for Rey and Finn's modern classic saga.  But this movie killed it.

Tangent #1: Luke somberly says to Rey "You think I came to the most UNFINDABLE place in the galaxy for no reason?"  Fuck this script.

Tangent #2: I don't understand how anyone could like this movie, and I don't understand why people think Rian Johnson is some kind of brilliant auteur.  Looper is just a thinly-veiled ripoff of 12 monkeys, right, which was an adaptation anyway?  Forget Rian Johnson*.  He directed three good episodes of Breaking Bad?  Guess what?  EVERY episode of that show was good, and he didn't write a single one of them.  

*Except for the one episode of Terriers he directed.  You can remember him for that.

p,s, Thanks for letting me vent my disappointment.  Don't take it personally, or project onto it, either.
    JaimieTJoshuaHeterrkcrawfLandscraping
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited July 2018
    "The most unfindable place in the galaxy"... and he left the map in R2D2. :smile:

Also I feel your pain @ken hale. I watched it a second time, trying to find things to like about it. I found a few, but that didn't make the experience fun. Unless 9 retcons 8 in some way that I can't imagine, I'm not watching this one. 
    rkcrawfken hale
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    JaimieT said:
    Luke said:
    Not every damn film needs a cantina scene.  

Far be it from me to be the person to say "I liked that, so I disagree with your whole point"... but good God, that TLJ cantina moment was gorgeous. I saw the DVD extras and the costumes made my jaw slack. I'm so sad they had to cut it down so much and lose all that splendor. 

But your overall point is sound, and just because we like something doesn't mean it enhances the story.
    Speaking as big fan of bars, I'd argue that every movie (not just Star Wars), could benefit from a cantina scene.
    JaimieT
  • What exactly distinguishes a cantina from a bar? Or a saloon, for that matter?  Deep questions totally related to star wars.
    Honest answer guys:

Was anyone aware of the Millennium Falcon's gold dice before this decade?
    JoshuaHeterdarwinfeeshy
  • JaimieT said:
    Honest answer guys:

I don’t think so. If I had heard/read about it somewhere before, I wouldn’t have cared. I know bc I still don’t care. 
  • It's in the desert Southwest of the US or in Mexico.

ken hale said:
    What exactly distinguishes a cantina from a bar? Or a saloon, for that matter?  Deep questions totally related to star wars.

ken hale
  • JaimieT said:
    Honest answer guys:

This seems like such a minor quibble. I think I might have noticed dice hanging in the cockpit of the falcon in the original series, but never gave it a second thought. Even without knowing that, though, it was abundantly clear immediately upon luke giving them to leia that they were a token of Han's. I didn't need to have known for decades what the dice were. 

I mean, what should he have given Leia? Han's vest? Blaster? 
    [Deleted User]
    asmallcat said:
    JaimieT said:
    Honest answer guys:

This seems like such a minor quibble. I think I might have noticed dice hanging in the cockpit of the falcon in the original series, but never gave it a second thought. Even without knowing that, though, it was abundantly clear immediately upon luke giving them to leia that they were a token of Han's. I didn't need to have known for decades what the dice were. 

It's a thing in 2 movies. Also you are assuming I'm quibbling with this.
  • JaimieT said:
    asmallcat said:
    JaimieT said:
    Honest answer guys:

Ha, given your stance on the rest of the movie, I think it was a safe assumption  :p

But to answer your question, no. Were the dice in TFA or in Solo (which I didn't see)? 
    edited July 2018
    asmallcat said:
    JaimieT said:
    asmallcat said:
    JaimieT said:
    Honest answer guys:

Ha, given your stance on the rest of the movie, I think it was a safe assumption  :p

But to answer your question, no. Were the dice in TFA or in Solo (which I didn't see)? 

Solo.

And generally if I'm quibbling about something, I don't set people up with a question first. That's a dick move. I know you don't know me personally tho.
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited July 2018
    Some of us might need this (myself included)...

https://youtu.be/9icfFhIIb9U
    This just dropped without warning.

HOW CAN I WORK. HOW CAN I DO WORK NOW.

FreddydarwinfeeshyJoshuaHeterken hale
  • Yeah but what did everyone think about The Last Jedi? Good or bad?

:p 
    KingKobraAww_PHuuCkvoodoorat
  • JaimieT said:
    This just dropped without warning.

HOW CAN I WORK. HOW CAN I DO WORK NOW.

Tbh, I couldn’t get through much of it. The voice over is just not my cup of tea. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    The Last Jedi manages to have some of the worst scenes in the series, while also having some of the best. "See you around, kid."
    JaimieT
    I watched it over lunch. Brilliant observation about TLJ fitting the structure of a madcap comedy. My second favorite observation is how this movie has very tragic emotional beats yet ends on the characters being hopeful, celebratory or oblivious. My third favorite observation is that the movie might have been better if it ended 30 minutes earlier.

asmallcat said:
    Yeah but what did everyone think about The Last Jedi? Good or bad?

This joke has been done so many times that I'm going to treat your comment seriously. Not only has something new been said about TLJ today, it's from one of the most famous critics of Star Wars, someone the director and writer of TLJ himself is a fan of. That's worthy of posting here, but instead of clicking away from something you don't seem interested in, you're making a joke about how bored you are.
    JoshuaHeterA_Ron_Hubbardken hale
  • JaimieT said:
    I watched it over lunch. Brilliant observation about TLJ fitting the structure of a madcap comedy. My second favorite observation is how this movie has very tragic emotional beats yet ends on the characters being hopeful, celebratory or oblivious. My third favorite observation is that the movie might have been better if it ended 30 minutes earlier.

asmallcat said:
    Yeah but what did everyone think about The Last Jedi? Good or bad?

This joke has been done so many times that I'm going to treat your comment seriously. Not only has something new been said about TLJ today, it's from one of the most famous critics of Star Wars, someone the director and writer of TLJ himself is a fan of. That's worthy of posting here, but instead of clicking away from something you don't seem interested in, you're making a joke about how bored you are.
    It was a joke about a movie, no need to take it so seriously. 
  • The Plinkett reviews of Star Wars are some of the best content on Youtube.

I really, really dislike their style (i.e. every single one of the "skits"), but hell, at least it sets them apart from the billions of other "video essay" channels on Youtube.

That aside, the insight, analysis, and critique in these reviews is top notch.
    JoshuaHeter
    The Plinkett reviews of Star Wars are some of the best content on Youtube.

I really, really dislike their style (i.e. every single one of the "skits"), but hell, at least it sets them apart from the billions of other "video essay" channels on Youtube.

I get people not liking the skits. They grew on me, but it took a while. I think they must be abandoning the skits, because there wasn't one in this review (and I think there was a through-line skit in the TFA review). Actually there was a really short skit in this one, and it was glorious. <3 Rich Evans.

It's sad that this might be the last Plinkett Star Wars review.
  • Star Wars doesn't seem to play as well as Marvel in international markets.  
    KingKobra
  • kuman07 said:
    We’ll probably see an article like this every time a movie passes it in global box office. I still haven’t seen it, but have the 4K blu-ray preordered. Solo was doomed before it even hit theaters and I think the bad mojo wasn’t enough to get over the fairly positive reviews once released. 
  • JaimieT said:
    The Plinkett reviews of Star Wars are some of the best content on Youtube.

I get people not liking the skits. They grew on me, but it took a while. I think they must be abandoning the skits, because there wasn't one in this review (and I think there was a through-line skit in the TFA review). Actually there was a really short skit in this one, and it was glorious. <3 Rich Evans.

It's sad that this might be the last Plinkett Star Wars review.
    I'll concede that the Rich Evans skit was funny. That fucking laugh.
    JaimieT
  • KingKobra said:
    kuman07 said:
    We’ll probably see an article like this every time a movie passes it in global box office. I still haven’t seen it, but have the 4K blu-ray preordered. Solo was doomed before it even hit theaters and I think the bad mojo wasn’t enough to get over the fairly positive reviews once released. 
    Hopefully Disney learned from that. Star Wars fans, for whatever reason, don't want a marvel-esque release schedule. I know lots of people who are excited for every Marvel movie. I literally didn't know a single person who was excited for Solo, and know exactly 1 person who went to see it. I still haven't seen it, apparently it's a perfectly respectable movie, but it's clear that these random ancillary stories about single characters aren't gonna get fans in the theatres. I am not at all surprised this killed the Obi Wan and Boba Fett movies. 
    asmallcat said:
    KingKobra said:
    kuman07 said:
    Hopefully Disney learned from that. Star Wars fans, for whatever reason, don't want a marvel-esque release schedule. I know lots of people who are excited for every Marvel movie. I literally didn't know a single person who was excited for Solo, and know exactly 1 person who went to see it. I still haven't seen it, apparently it's a perfectly respectable movie, but it's clear that these random ancillary stories about single characters aren't gonna get fans in the theatres. I am not at all surprised this killed the Obi Wan and Boba Fett movies. 

And the Rian Johnson trilogy evidently.

The MCU release schedule is supported by pre--written material. SW should definitely slow down and vet the scripts more.
  • They should just wait on Kenobi and make it a short TV season whenever the Disney streaming service comes out. It would be much better than a 2 hour movie. Let McGregor do his thing over 10 episodes or something like that
  • JaimieT said:
    asmallcat said:
    KingKobra said:
    kuman07 said:

The MCU release schedule is supported by pre--written material. SW should definitely slow down and vet the scripts more.
    Was that confirmed? Last I checked that was read into pretty vague comments by Kennedy, although maybe there's been more news since then. 
    asmallcat said:
    JaimieT said:
    asmallcat said:
    KingKobra said:
    kuman07 said:

Was that confirmed? Last I checked that was read into pretty vague comments by Kennedy, although maybe there's been more news since then. 

I don't know what constitutes confirmation when these things technically don't need to be announced to be true. I believe it, but I won't be screaming "alternative facts!" if someone doesn't. I'm also limited by how much I care to research this. Only a few minutes worth.
  • JaimieT said:
    asmallcat said:
    JaimieT said:
    asmallcat said:
    KingKobra said:
    kuman07 said:

I don't know what constitutes confirmation when these things technically don't need to be announced to be true. I believe it, but I won't be screaming "alternative facts!" if someone doesn't. I'm also limited by how much I care to research this. Only a few minutes worth.
    I won't be surprised if it's true (Disney has shown they will always take the less risky path), I just wasn't sure if I'd missed a follow-up of some kind to the original story.