Star Wars - General Discussion (Spoilers all)

123578

Comments

  • I wasn’t sure what Rian Johnson did to deserve a full trilogy, especially after TLJ. 
    JaimieTFreiberg
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited August 2018
    I wasn’t sure what Rian Johnson did to deserve a full trilogy, especially after TLJ. 

    He was extremely easy to work with, not a diva, and went under budget.

    It betrays a really cynical view of the fans to greenlight it just based on that. Or maybe it was smart to lock him down and then actually consider it later.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited August 2018
    Most of the charge is that Johnson didn't understand the characters isn't it? And did wrong by them? 

    I don't agree, but if he gets a whole other set of characters than I don't see an issue. I imagine it's a small hard core group who both know Johnson's role in TLJ and also didn't like it, and would hold it against him. I think he made the movie he wanted to make extremely well (some of the casino stuff excepted), it just didn't work for some fans.

    Timing-wise, I think the trilogy was offered to him before TLJ was released, no?
  • chrisk said:
    Most of the charge is that Johnson didn't understand the characters isn't it? And did wrong by them? 

    I don't agree, but if he gets a whole other set of characters than I don't see an issue. I imagine it's a small hard core group who both know Johnson's role in TLJ and also didn't like it, and would hold it against him. I think he made the movie he wanted to make extremely well (some of the casino stuff excepted), it just didn't work for some fans.

    Timing-wise, I think the trilogy was offered to him before TLJ was released, no?
    Eh, there were more problems with TLJ than how Johnson treated Luke (which I was actually fine with, but that's the character people seem most upset about).

    And while you're right, it probably is a small number who know who Johnson is and will hold it against him, they are a much larger (and louder) contingent than those who will hold firing Johnson against Disney. Thus, it's likely a more pragmatic path on Disney's part to find a new director. 
    Doctor_Nick
  • From the limited research I did it seems that the RJ trilogy is still on (unfortunately).  It seems that the folks at Mouse House feel that the numbers TLJ generated was due largely to the quality of the film, not the fact it has a very deep fan base who were  going to see this movie. Hell, I saw it twice in the theater and I didn’t like it the first time but went back to give it another shot (liked it a *bit* more upon second viewing but still thought it sucked). 
    Freiberg
  • I've said since the beginning that they should have had the entire plot written out by 1 set of writers and then let the directors fill in the minor beats with their own flavor/fan service. obviously that didn't happen and the sequel trilogy will now forever be tarnished because of the drastic visions/ideas of directors. 

    I am totally ok with RJ as a film maker and there is no denying that TLJ is gorgeous so him getting his own corner of the universe is fine by me. 

    to me the sequel trilogy is now all about Ben/Kylo and the overall success of the story hinges on what they do with him in episode 9. if they give him a satisfying finish to his arc and "end the skywalkers" ill be satisfied. 

    the worrying comments that are coming out now though is KK and team are talking about having sequel trilogy characters in E10-12. I really hope they re-consider this and set 10-12 up to be something radically different. 
    ken haleFreiberg
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I knew that would happen. They have to keep this story going, they have barely started it. TFA was a long throat-clearing and TLJ was a sneeze reflex.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited August 2018
    asmallcat said:
    KingKobra said:
    kuman07 said:
    We’ll probably see an article like this every time a movie passes it in global box office. I still haven’t seen it, but have the 4K blu-ray preordered. Solo was doomed before it even hit theaters and I think the bad mojo wasn’t enough to get over the fairly positive reviews once released. 
    Hopefully Disney learned from that. Star Wars fans, for whatever reason, don't want a marvel-esque release schedule... it's clear that these random ancillary stories about single characters aren't gonna get fans in the theatres. I am not at all surprised this killed the Obi Wan and Boba Fett movies. 
    I think you're confusing correlation with cause. If the films were better I think the appetite would be there. If Iron Man and Thor had been shitty movies, people would have been shitting on Marvel and Feige. "What an insane plan, lead off with two heroes no one outside of Marvel fanboys care about. I'm no surprised they canceled Dr. Strange and Guardians of the Galaxy."

    With Marvel, these are essentially the stories I grew up with, only better, able to stand up to semi-adult scrutiny. Their plots were all carefully constructed years in advance by a talented team that had real passion and respect for the material. With the latest Star Wars, it's the stories I grew up with, only worse. I thought the Plinkett review was especially good at homing in on The Last Jedi's  core problem; Johnson's obsession with subverting expectations and telling an unconventional Star Wars story. He succeeded too well. I now no longer expect to be entertained by a main canon Star Wars film, nor do I know what what makes Star Wars, Star Wars anymore.  Bravo. The only reason TFA worked as well as it did, and in hindsight it didn't work all that well, is that Abrams is a right down the center of the plate Star Wars fan. It's incredible to me that Kennedy still has her job, that the Mouse is this careless with it's premiere property. 

    I'm with Jaimie and Plinkett. I'm tired of mediocrity. I'm tired of /r/starwars turning into /r/dc_cinematic, where they hide behind tepid box office results, and dismiss any talk of internal friction as hater talk. I'm tired of being told by fellow fans that I'm in a small minority and my opinion doesn't matter. You know what? The reality is if they had made the Star Wars film *I* wanted, all the TRUE STAR WARS FANS would have fucking loved it, too. Hate all you want, I 110% believe that. I'm honestly not excited by a single Star Wars project currently announced, and have no real incentive to "give them a shot". 

    Except I do, because the reality is that I have an 11 year old who absolutely loves everything to do with Star Wars. I can't adequately explain the frustration of Rian Johnson fucking up a Star Wars movie so badly that I've only watched it once with him even though it's free on Netflix. Oh well, I'll always have opening night of TFA, which was a top 10 dad moment for me.
    JaimieTLandscrapingFreibergNickplay
  • edited August 2018
    asmallcat said:
    KingKobra said:
    kuman07 said:
    We’ll probably see an article like this every time a movie passes it in global box office. I still haven’t seen it, but have the 4K blu-ray preordered. Solo was doomed before it even hit theaters and I think the bad mojo wasn’t enough to get over the fairly positive reviews once released. 
    Hopefully Disney learned from that. Star Wars fans, for whatever reason, don't want a marvel-esque release schedule. I know lots of people who are excited for every Marvel movie. I literally didn't know a single person who was excited for Solo, and know exactly 1 person who went to see it. I still haven't seen it, apparently it's a perfectly respectable movie, but it's clear that these random ancillary stories about single characters aren't gonna get fans in the theatres. I am not at all surprised this killed the Obi Wan and Boba Fett movies. 
    I think you're confusing correlation with cause. If the films were better I think the appetite would be there. With Marvel, these are essentially the stories I grew up with, only better, able to stand up to semi-adult scrutiny. With the latest Star Wars, it's the stories I grew up with, only worse. I thought the Plinkett review was especially good at homing in on The Last Jedi's  core problem; Johnson's obsession with subverting expectations and telling an unconventional Star Wars story. He succeeded too well. I now no longer expect to be entertained by a main cannon Star Wars film, nor do I know what what makes Star Wars, Star Wars anymore.  Bravo.

    I'm with Jaimie and Plinkett. I'm tired of mediocrity. I'm tired of /r/starwars turning into /r/dc_cinematic, where they hide behind tepid box office results, and dismiss any talk of internal friction as hater talk. I'm tired of being told by fellow fans that I'm in a small minority and my opinion doesn't matter. I'm honestly not excited by a single Star Wars project currently announced, and have no real incentive to "give them a shot". 

    But the reality is that I have an 11 year old who absolutely loves everything to do with Star Wars. I can't adequately explain the frustration of Rian Johnson fucking up a Star Wars movie so badly that I've only watched it once with him even though it's free on Netflix. Oh well, I'll always have opening night of TFA.
    I guess I was talking about the "side project" movies, not the main movies. Weren't both Rogue One and Solo pretty well reviewed? Maybe Solo was bleed over from TLJ, but I don't think people were excited about Solo even before TLJ came out. 

    It is kind of amazing the staying power star wars has, considering the majority of the movies in the franchise have been average to bad. 

    Edit - And I should say, I'm exactly who should have been super exited for all things star wars. There was about a 2 year period in my life where I watched one of the 3 star wars movies every week. I read almost every EU novel, even the Kevin Anderson ones *shudder.* I guess I've just...moved on from the franchise. The fact that TFA was fine, TLJ was fine but worse than TFA, rogue one was better than both but I have no interest in watching any of them again just doesn't really bother me. I suppose I wish they were better, but there's so many great entertainment products around now that if SW is bad there's a dozen other great franchises I haven't had time to get into that I can watch instead. It's interesting to look at SW and try and figure out what's going wrong, but I don't have the strong personal connection anymore that I think informs a lot of the stronger feelings about the movie. 

    Whelp, guess it's time to go play more Star Wars Armada. I'm definitely not still invested in this franchise, nope. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited August 2018
    asmallcat said:
    asmallcat said:
    KingKobra said:
    kuman07 said:
    We’ll probably see an article like this every time a movie passes it in global box office. I still haven’t seen it, but have the 4K blu-ray preordered. Solo was doomed before it even hit theaters and I think the bad mojo wasn’t enough to get over the fairly positive reviews once released. 
    Hopefully Disney learned from that. Star Wars fans, for whatever reason, don't want a marvel-esque release schedule. I know lots of people who are excited for every Marvel movie. I literally didn't know a single person who was excited for Solo, and know exactly 1 person who went to see it. I still haven't seen it, apparently it's a perfectly respectable movie, but it's clear that these random ancillary stories about single characters aren't gonna get fans in the theatres. I am not at all surprised this killed the Obi Wan and Boba Fett movies. 
    I think you're confusing correlation with cause. If the films were better I think the appetite would be there. With Marvel, these are essentially the stories I grew up with, only better, able to stand up to semi-adult scrutiny. With the latest Star Wars, it's the stories I grew up with, only worse. I thought the Plinkett review was especially good at homing in on The Last Jedi's  core problem; Johnson's obsession with subverting expectations and telling an unconventional Star Wars story. He succeeded too well. I now no longer expect to be entertained by a main cannon Star Wars film, nor do I know what what makes Star Wars, Star Wars anymore.  Bravo.

    I'm with Jaimie and Plinkett. I'm tired of mediocrity. I'm tired of /r/starwars turning into /r/dc_cinematic, where they hide behind tepid box office results, and dismiss any talk of internal friction as hater talk. I'm tired of being told by fellow fans that I'm in a small minority and my opinion doesn't matter. I'm honestly not excited by a single Star Wars project currently announced, and have no real incentive to "give them a shot". 

    But the reality is that I have an 11 year old who absolutely loves everything to do with Star Wars. I can't adequately explain the frustration of Rian Johnson fucking up a Star Wars movie so badly that I've only watched it once with him even though it's free on Netflix. Oh well, I'll always have opening night of TFA.
    I guess I was talking about the "side project" movies, not the main movies. Weren't both Rogue One and Solo pretty well reviewed? Maybe Solo was bleed over from TLJ, but I don't think people were excited about Solo even before TLJ came out. 

    It is kind of amazing the staying power star wars has, considering the majority of the movies in the franchise have been average to bad. 

    I'm aware that this question is for Aron and only he can answer for himself, but here are my thoughts for what they're worth.

    Solo is a weird beast because I wasn't excited for it before TLJ because I believed the main storyline would be strong and we didn't need prequels for single characters (Solo) or tangential events (Rogue One). After TLJ my attitude changed because if the main storyline was a bust, maybe some fun could be had with the "origin story" of my favorite character in Star Wars. "Origin story," ha, he's a random smuggler and that's his charm, that's why when he crushed on Princess Leia his character was imbued with heat and audacity and in that he started to show some ambition. Solo worked for me because it mimicked that dynamic where the love of a more powerful woman kicked him in his complacency... and to be honest, my expectations were very, very low. 

    I need to watch Solo again to do a better analysis of why it worked for me. There are parts in the movie that are stupid. But most of them were stupid-hilarious to me, in the way that overly transparent scriptwriting can be. So I had fun. I didn't have a "the FUCK?!" moment like in TLJ. Even if I'd had high expectations, I don't think I'd have had one of those moments because I don't think they were there; I would have just been disappointed by its moments of mediocrity.

    "It is kind of amazing the staying power star wars has, considering the majority of the movies in the franchise have been average to bad."

    The power of Campbell's Hero's Journey. It feels like our own story.
  • JaimieT said:
    asmallcat said:
    asmallcat said:
    KingKobra said:
    kuman07 said:
    We’ll probably see an article like this every time a movie passes it in global box office. I still haven’t seen it, but have the 4K blu-ray preordered. Solo was doomed before it even hit theaters and I think the bad mojo wasn’t enough to get over the fairly positive reviews once released. 
    Hopefully Disney learned from that. Star Wars fans, for whatever reason, don't want a marvel-esque release schedule. I know lots of people who are excited for every Marvel movie. I literally didn't know a single person who was excited for Solo, and know exactly 1 person who went to see it. I still haven't seen it, apparently it's a perfectly respectable movie, but it's clear that these random ancillary stories about single characters aren't gonna get fans in the theatres. I am not at all surprised this killed the Obi Wan and Boba Fett movies. 
    I think you're confusing correlation with cause. If the films were better I think the appetite would be there. With Marvel, these are essentially the stories I grew up with, only better, able to stand up to semi-adult scrutiny. With the latest Star Wars, it's the stories I grew up with, only worse. I thought the Plinkett review was especially good at homing in on The Last Jedi's  core problem; Johnson's obsession with subverting expectations and telling an unconventional Star Wars story. He succeeded too well. I now no longer expect to be entertained by a main cannon Star Wars film, nor do I know what what makes Star Wars, Star Wars anymore.  Bravo.

    I'm with Jaimie and Plinkett. I'm tired of mediocrity. I'm tired of /r/starwars turning into /r/dc_cinematic, where they hide behind tepid box office results, and dismiss any talk of internal friction as hater talk. I'm tired of being told by fellow fans that I'm in a small minority and my opinion doesn't matter. I'm honestly not excited by a single Star Wars project currently announced, and have no real incentive to "give them a shot". 

    But the reality is that I have an 11 year old who absolutely loves everything to do with Star Wars. I can't adequately explain the frustration of Rian Johnson fucking up a Star Wars movie so badly that I've only watched it once with him even though it's free on Netflix. Oh well, I'll always have opening night of TFA.
    I guess I was talking about the "side project" movies, not the main movies. Weren't both Rogue One and Solo pretty well reviewed? Maybe Solo was bleed over from TLJ, but I don't think people were excited about Solo even before TLJ came out. 

    It is kind of amazing the staying power star wars has, considering the majority of the movies in the franchise have been average to bad. 

    I'm aware that this question is for Aron and only he can answer for himself, but here are my thoughts for what they're worth.

    Solo is a weird beast because I wasn't excited for it before TLJ because I believed the main storyline would be strong and we didn't need prequels for single characters (Solo) or tangential events (Rogue One). After TLJ my attitude changed because if the main storyline was a bust, maybe some fun could be had with the "origin story" of my favorite character in Star Wars. "Origin story," ha, he's a random smuggler and that's his charm, that's why when he crushed on Princess Leia his character was imbued with heat and audacity and in that he started to show some ambition. Solo worked for me because it mimicked that dynamic where the love of a more powerful woman kicked him in his complacency... and to be honest, my expectations were very, very low. 

    I need to watch Solo again to do a better analysis of why it worked for me. There are parts in the movie that are stupid. But most of them were stupid-hilarious to me, in the way that overly transparent scriptwriting can be. So I had fun. I didn't have a "the FUCK?!" moment like in TLJ. Even if I'd had high expectations, I don't think I'd have had one of those moments because I don't think they were there; I would have just been disappointed by its moments of mediocrity.

    "It is kind of amazing the staying power star wars has, considering the majority of the movies in the franchise have been average to bad."

    The power of Campbell's Hero's Journey. It feels like our own story.
    I feel exactly the same about Solo and went into it with lowered expectations. I enjoyed both anthology films but admittedly I give these movies a wider margin to work in as opposed to the trilogies (AFA what I perceive to be “Star Wars” tone).  
  • JaimieT said:
    asmallcat said:
    asmallcat said:
    KingKobra said:
    kuman07 said:
    We’ll probably see an article like this every time a movie passes it in global box office. I still haven’t seen it, but have the 4K blu-ray preordered. Solo was doomed before it even hit theaters and I think the bad mojo wasn’t enough to get over the fairly positive reviews once released. 
    Hopefully Disney learned from that. Star Wars fans, for whatever reason, don't want a marvel-esque release schedule. I know lots of people who are excited for every Marvel movie. I literally didn't know a single person who was excited for Solo, and know exactly 1 person who went to see it. I still haven't seen it, apparently it's a perfectly respectable movie, but it's clear that these random ancillary stories about single characters aren't gonna get fans in the theatres. I am not at all surprised this killed the Obi Wan and Boba Fett movies. 
    I think you're confusing correlation with cause. If the films were better I think the appetite would be there. With Marvel, these are essentially the stories I grew up with, only better, able to stand up to semi-adult scrutiny. With the latest Star Wars, it's the stories I grew up with, only worse. I thought the Plinkett review was especially good at homing in on The Last Jedi's  core problem; Johnson's obsession with subverting expectations and telling an unconventional Star Wars story. He succeeded too well. I now no longer expect to be entertained by a main cannon Star Wars film, nor do I know what what makes Star Wars, Star Wars anymore.  Bravo.

    I'm with Jaimie and Plinkett. I'm tired of mediocrity. I'm tired of /r/starwars turning into /r/dc_cinematic, where they hide behind tepid box office results, and dismiss any talk of internal friction as hater talk. I'm tired of being told by fellow fans that I'm in a small minority and my opinion doesn't matter. I'm honestly not excited by a single Star Wars project currently announced, and have no real incentive to "give them a shot". 

    But the reality is that I have an 11 year old who absolutely loves everything to do with Star Wars. I can't adequately explain the frustration of Rian Johnson fucking up a Star Wars movie so badly that I've only watched it once with him even though it's free on Netflix. Oh well, I'll always have opening night of TFA.
    I guess I was talking about the "side project" movies, not the main movies. Weren't both Rogue One and Solo pretty well reviewed? Maybe Solo was bleed over from TLJ, but I don't think people were excited about Solo even before TLJ came out. 

    It is kind of amazing the staying power star wars has, considering the majority of the movies in the franchise have been average to bad. 

    I'm aware that this question is for Aron and only he can answer for himself, but here are my thoughts for what they're worth.

    Solo is a weird beast because I wasn't excited for it before TLJ because I believed the main storyline would be strong and we didn't need prequels for single characters (Solo) or tangential events (Rogue One). After TLJ my attitude changed because if the main storyline was a bust, maybe some fun could be had with the "origin story" of my favorite character in Star Wars. "Origin story," ha, he's a random smuggler and that's his charm, that's why when he crushed on Princess Leia his character was imbued with heat and audacity and in that he started to show some ambition. Solo worked for me because it mimicked that dynamic where the love of a more powerful woman kicked him in his complacency... and to be honest, my expectations were very, very low. 

    I need to watch Solo again to do a better analysis of why it worked for me. There are parts in the movie that are stupid. But most of them were stupid-hilarious to me, in the way that overly transparent scriptwriting can be. So I had fun. I didn't have a "the FUCK?!" moment like in TLJ. Even if I'd had high expectations, I don't think I'd have had one of those moments because I don't think they were there; I would have just been disappointed by its moments of mediocrity.

    "It is kind of amazing the staying power star wars has, considering the majority of the movies in the franchise have been average to bad."

    The power of Campbell's Hero's Journey. It feels like our own story.
    Man. I need to watch Solo. Almost everyone who's watched it that I've talked to/seen post about it has liked it. And I love me some Woody Harrelson. 
    [Deleted User]JaimieT
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    asmallcat said:
    JaimieT said:
    asmallcat said:
    asmallcat said:
    KingKobra said:
    kuman07 said:
    We’ll probably see an article like this every time a movie passes it in global box office. I still haven’t seen it, but have the 4K blu-ray preordered. Solo was doomed before it even hit theaters and I think the bad mojo wasn’t enough to get over the fairly positive reviews once released. 
    Hopefully Disney learned from that. Star Wars fans, for whatever reason, don't want a marvel-esque release schedule. I know lots of people who are excited for every Marvel movie. I literally didn't know a single person who was excited for Solo, and know exactly 1 person who went to see it. I still haven't seen it, apparently it's a perfectly respectable movie, but it's clear that these random ancillary stories about single characters aren't gonna get fans in the theatres. I am not at all surprised this killed the Obi Wan and Boba Fett movies. 
    I think you're confusing correlation with cause. If the films were better I think the appetite would be there. With Marvel, these are essentially the stories I grew up with, only better, able to stand up to semi-adult scrutiny. With the latest Star Wars, it's the stories I grew up with, only worse. I thought the Plinkett review was especially good at homing in on The Last Jedi's  core problem; Johnson's obsession with subverting expectations and telling an unconventional Star Wars story. He succeeded too well. I now no longer expect to be entertained by a main cannon Star Wars film, nor do I know what what makes Star Wars, Star Wars anymore.  Bravo.

    I'm with Jaimie and Plinkett. I'm tired of mediocrity. I'm tired of /r/starwars turning into /r/dc_cinematic, where they hide behind tepid box office results, and dismiss any talk of internal friction as hater talk. I'm tired of being told by fellow fans that I'm in a small minority and my opinion doesn't matter. I'm honestly not excited by a single Star Wars project currently announced, and have no real incentive to "give them a shot". 

    But the reality is that I have an 11 year old who absolutely loves everything to do with Star Wars. I can't adequately explain the frustration of Rian Johnson fucking up a Star Wars movie so badly that I've only watched it once with him even though it's free on Netflix. Oh well, I'll always have opening night of TFA.
    I guess I was talking about the "side project" movies, not the main movies. Weren't both Rogue One and Solo pretty well reviewed? Maybe Solo was bleed over from TLJ, but I don't think people were excited about Solo even before TLJ came out. 

    It is kind of amazing the staying power star wars has, considering the majority of the movies in the franchise have been average to bad. 

    I'm aware that this question is for Aron and only he can answer for himself, but here are my thoughts for what they're worth.

    Solo is a weird beast because I wasn't excited for it before TLJ because I believed the main storyline would be strong and we didn't need prequels for single characters (Solo) or tangential events (Rogue One). After TLJ my attitude changed because if the main storyline was a bust, maybe some fun could be had with the "origin story" of my favorite character in Star Wars. "Origin story," ha, he's a random smuggler and that's his charm, that's why when he crushed on Princess Leia his character was imbued with heat and audacity and in that he started to show some ambition. Solo worked for me because it mimicked that dynamic where the love of a more powerful woman kicked him in his complacency... and to be honest, my expectations were very, very low. 

    I need to watch Solo again to do a better analysis of why it worked for me. There are parts in the movie that are stupid. But most of them were stupid-hilarious to me, in the way that overly transparent scriptwriting can be. So I had fun. I didn't have a "the FUCK?!" moment like in TLJ. Even if I'd had high expectations, I don't think I'd have had one of those moments because I don't think they were there; I would have just been disappointed by its moments of mediocrity.

    "It is kind of amazing the staying power star wars has, considering the majority of the movies in the franchise have been average to bad."

    The power of Campbell's Hero's Journey. It feels like our own story.
    Man. I need to watch Solo. Almost everyone who's watched it that I've talked to/seen post about it has liked it. And I love me some Woody Harrelson. 

    I was also extremely fucking worried how they would butcher what they were certain to do... an "I love you, I know" reference. Imagine my pleasure when... well, I'll let you see it.
  • Here are two new vids (to me) on a positive take 

    Patrick Explains:
    https://youtu.be/w1VeOlIDD9o

    Thought there were some good takes in the above, even for my least favorite (Cantobite) part. 

    Just Write:
    https://youtu.be/CE7SkcoyVAI

    JaimieTAww_PHuuCk[Deleted User]
  • edited September 2018
    I always have trouble with the SW timeline. I have to look up certain non-movie events from time to time and this timeline is a great help.


    https://swtimeline.blogspot.com/2017/08/star-wars-canon-timeline.html?m=1
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    KingKobra said:
    Here are two new vids (to me) on a positive take 

    Patrick Explains:
    https://youtu.be/w1VeOlIDD9o

    Thought there were some good takes in the above, even for my least favorite (Cantobite) part. 

    Just Write:
    https://youtu.be/CE7SkcoyVAI


    I watched both of those, BTW. And now I don't know what to think! JK, but they were both well argued.
    KingKobra[Deleted User]
  • JaimieT said:
    KingKobra said:
    Here are two new vids (to me) on a positive take 

    Patrick Explains:
    https://youtu.be/w1VeOlIDD9o

    Thought there were some good takes in the above, even for my least favorite (Cantobite) part. 

    Just Write:
    https://youtu.be/CE7SkcoyVAI


    I watched both of those, BTW. And now I don't know what to think! JK, but they were both well argued.
    Thanks for the chuckle this gave me. For the 1st it’s kind of interesting that the person he mentioned doing a 5+ hour “drubbing” of TLJ showed up in the comments. 
    JaimieT
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    VERY excited to watch Solo for the 2nd time on Friday night. I forgot it was released on digital this weekend.
    KingKobra
  • JaimieT said:
    VERY excited to watch Solo for the 2nd time on Friday night. I forgot it was released on digital this weekend.
    I still need to watch it for a 1st time. The 4K Blu-ray was a present to myself so that’s the 1st time I’ll get to see it. Then I can venture into the solo thread to see all of the discussion. I’ve avoided almost everything but got a little spoiled by the recent slash film summer wager cast (nothing to major) but I had to FFW through a good chunk of that cast because they detailed into a discussion of the movie. 
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited September 2018
    Meh, just saying he enjoyed something and feels sorry for you if you don't doesn't really help explain why it's supposedly good.    He holds up The Empire Strikes Back as a great example for Star Wars because it changed things.  He seems to ignore that a plan to randomly find a cryptographer on Canto Bight good enough to break Imperial military codes, all in the middle of a bizarre slow motion chase, lacks the simple narrative logic of hiding out with your old friend Lando in Bespin until the heat is off. The Canto Bight interlude is strange, ripping up rich folks crap or not, teaching characters an important lesson in failure or not.

    KingKobra said:
    Here are two new vids (to me) on a positive take 

    Patrick Explains:
    https://youtu.be/w1VeOlIDD9o

    Thought there were some good takes in the above, even for my least favorite (Cantobite) part. 


    ken hale
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited September 2018
    KingKobra said:
    JaimieT said:
    VERY excited to watch Solo for the 2nd time on Friday night. I forgot it was released on digital this weekend.
    I still need to watch it for a 1st time. The 4K Blu-ray was a present to myself so that’s the 1st time I’ll get to see it. Then I can venture into the solo thread to see all of the discussion. I’ve avoided almost everything but got a little spoiled by the recent slash film summer wager cast (nothing to major) but I had to FFW through a good chunk of that cast because they detailed into a discussion of the movie. 

    I have pre-ordered Solo but until that time I have found ahhhhh someone else who has a copy online to borrow temporarily? It's not great quality. You're better waiting. I'm just excited! Baking some lemon bars and then this is happening.

    Fucking SOLO! Which not only has my boo Alden Ehrenreich, but also Woody Harrelson AND my beloved Paul Bettany AND the beautiful, beautiful Emilia Clarke. 
    KingKobra
  • JaimieT said:
    KingKobra said:
    JaimieT said:
    VERY excited to watch Solo for the 2nd time on Friday night. I forgot it was released on digital this weekend.
    I still need to watch it for a 1st time. The 4K Blu-ray was a present to myself so that’s the 1st time I’ll get to see it. Then I can venture into the solo thread to see all of the discussion. I’ve avoided almost everything but got a little spoiled by the recent slash film summer wager cast (nothing to major) but I had to FFW through a good chunk of that cast because they detailed into a discussion of the movie. 

    I have pre-ordered Solo but until that time I have found ahhhhh someone else who has a copy online to borrow temporarily? It's not great quality. You're better waiting. I'm just excited! Baking some lemon bars and then this is happening.

    Fucking SOLO! Which not only has my boo Alden Ehrenreich, but also Woody Harrelson AND my beloved Paul Bettany AND the beautiful, beautiful Emilia Clarke. 
    Yeah, I have no desire to see it any other way at this point. I want my first experience to be the best one available to me right now. 
    JaimieT
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited September 2018
    Question for people who saw Solo in theaters? I swear they changed the take of Han's line delivery in the DVD release.

     

    When Lando says "I hate you" and Han replies "I know." Han's delivery is way different from what I remember! I don't want to influence anyone's memory, so try to remember it and then LMK if the DVD is different for you?



    Edit: NOPE, I just downloaded a camera recording of the theatrical version and... they're the same. Funny how memory works.
    [Deleted User]Freiberg
  • Alright, let's make it quick...Last Jedi was great, the amount of people who hated it is smaller than you think it is, the amount of people who hated it had little to nothing to do with Solo's poor performance, the amount of people who hated it will have little to nothing to do with Episode 9's performance, Kathleen Kennedy should not be fired for Crimes Against Star Wars or whatever and almost certainly won't be unless more films start bombing and critical response drops, and people really need to chill out about this whole Star Wars thing. Fandom has been having this exact same tired, circular argument for eight months now, and I honestly don't know what to say anymore. Positioning the people behind Star Wars as the evil Empire that need to be taken down? Calling for a woman who has overseen four films, three of which have been massive critical and commercial successes, to be sacked because you personally didn't like them? I don't understand it anymore. I mean, I get it, I like the films as they are now, so it's not like I'm going to have much to complain about, but I have to believe I wouldn't be acting like this even if I hated them.

    Honestly, I'm just confused at this point. I really want to try and understand the mindset of someone who is so Mad About Star Wars that they're out here making YouTube videos metagaming the best way to take down Kathleen Kennedy and "save" the franchise, but I can't.
    Last Jedi was extremely far from great. I despise the toxic fandom that treated some of the actors terribly but Rian Johnson did an awful job with the universe he handed the keys to.  And I’m someone who’s been a fan of Johnson’s since Brick. I have trepidation about episode 9 as well and thought Solo was decent. I am a Star Wars fan who sees every film opening night and several times again. If Episode 9 is the same as Last Jedi that all changes, and I’ve heard that from several other fans and work colleagues. So many people say it’s a small but vocal portion of the fans who didn’t like Last Jedi. It’s not. It’s at least half. I wish them all the success in the world and hope the spirit of that universe is steered properly.  
    JaimieTJoshuaHeterFreiberg
  • Can we stop pretending anyone actually knows what portion of the audience liked or disliked Last Jedi? Everyone's throwing around numbers that all smell basically the same, and it's not good. 
    KingKobra[Deleted User]FreibergAww_PHuuCk
  • Nickplay said:
    Alright, let's make it quick...Last Jedi was great, the amount of people who hated it is smaller than you think it is, the amount of people who hated it had little to nothing to do with Solo's poor performance, the amount of people who hated it will have little to nothing to do with Episode 9's performance, Kathleen Kennedy should not be fired for Crimes Against Star Wars or whatever and almost certainly won't be unless more films start bombing and critical response drops, and people really need to chill out about this whole Star Wars thing. Fandom has been having this exact same tired, circular argument for eight months now, and I honestly don't know what to say anymore. Positioning the people behind Star Wars as the evil Empire that need to be taken down? Calling for a woman who has overseen four films, three of which have been massive critical and commercial successes, to be sacked because you personally didn't like them? I don't understand it anymore. I mean, I get it, I like the films as they are now, so it's not like I'm going to have much to complain about, but I have to believe I wouldn't be acting like this even if I hated them.

    Honestly, I'm just confused at this point. I really want to try and understand the mindset of someone who is so Mad About Star Wars that they're out here making YouTube videos metagaming the best way to take down Kathleen Kennedy and "save" the franchise, but I can't.
    Last Jedi was extremely far from great. I despise the toxic fandom that treated some of the actors terribly but Rian Johnson did an awful job with the universe he handed the keys to.  And I’m someone who’s been a fan of Johnson’s since Brick. I have trepidation about episode 9 as well and thought Solo was decent. I am a Star Wars fan who sees every film opening night and several times again. If Episode 9 is the same as Last Jedi that all changes, and I’ve heard that from several other fans and work colleagues. So many people say it’s a small but vocal portion of the fans who didn’t like Last Jedi. It’s not. It’s at least half. I wish them all the success in the world and hope the spirit of that universe is steered properly.  
    I absolutely *hated* TLJ and still saw it multiple times in the theater.  Plinkett says pretty much everything I think, minus the universe breaking kamikaze attack, but that’s doesn’t mean I don’t love SW anymore it just means that the new films aren’t being made with my fandom in mind.  And while that sucks for me it’s okay, my nieces are enthralled with Rey and have little stuffed porgs and want to be generals like Leia when they grow up and that’s awesome.  But that doesn’t change the fact that I’m not excited about SW anymore, and that breaks my heart.  For a while after TLJ I thought it would be okay that the main story isn’t for me because the standalone films were, I loved R1 and liked Solo a lot, but when they cancelled the standalones I knew the day had come when SW had moved fully beyond me.  As it stands, more than a year from 9 being released so I reserve the right to change my mind, I don’t even know if I’ll see it in the theater, especially when Dennis Villeneuve is saying he wants his Dune films to be “Star Wars for adults” and as someone middle aged that sounds pretty damn good right now.
    JaimieT
  • The problem with Dune is that the first book is the only one that seems actually intelligible on a movie screen.

    Freiberg said:

     especially when Dennis Villeneuve is saying he wants his Dune films to be “Star Wars for adults” and as someone middle aged that sounds pretty damn good right now.

  • The problem with Dune is that the first book is the only one that seems actually intelligible on a movie screen.

    Freiberg said:

     especially when Dennis Villeneuve is saying he wants his Dune films to be “Star Wars for adults” and as someone middle aged that sounds pretty damn good right now.

    I tried to finish the series. God knows I tried.

    Also, given the history of adapting Dune to the screen, I'll wait for the reviews to come in on this new series. If the writers are good, and they jettison everything after the first book and write their own ending to the story, maybe it can be great. 
  • You're hardier than I am.  I got through Dune Messiah with my eyes crossing and that was that for me.  I hear Children is where lots of people give up the ghost.  

    asmallcat said:
    The problem with Dune is that the first book is the only one that seems actually intelligible on a movie screen.

    Freiberg said:

     especially when Dennis Villeneuve is saying he wants his Dune films to be “Star Wars for adults” and as someone middle aged that sounds pretty damn good right now.

    I tried to finish the series. God knows I tried.

    Also, given the history of adapting Dune to the screen, I'll wait for the reviews to come in on this new series. If the writers are good, and they jettison everything after the first book and write their own ending to the story, maybe it can be great. 




  • @Nickplay When I made it clear that I was done arguing about whether The Last Jedi was good or not, that is not a signal to quote one of my (two-month old!) posts with yet another "actually The Last Jedi was bad" take. I don't have the energy to talk about Star Wars on here any more, so please leave me out of it.
Sign In or Register to comment.