Star Wars - General Discussion (Spoilers all)

1234568»

Comments

• As someone who is pretty burned out on Marvel, I find the hire meh. Like, marvel movies are far from perfect, and while they are generally good, I haven't thought one was great since Winter Soldier. And Fiege has produced on some real stinkers. Plus, their peak is basically "really good summer blockbuster," which is what Force Awakens and Rogue One already were, and there's a decent chance Rise of the Skywalkers or whatever will be too with JJ back directing. 

I guess "Marvel but with lightsabers" is better than the movies being bad, but it's also not really what I want for star wars. I'd rather we get more varied stories with some true stinkers than just more superhero blockbusters. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    asmallcat said:
    As someone who is pretty burned out on Marvel, I find the hire meh. Like, marvel movies are far from perfect, and while they are generally good, I haven't thought one was great since Winter Soldier. And Fiege has produced on some real stinkers. Plus, their peak is basically "really good summer blockbuster," which is what Force Awakens and Rogue One already were, and there's a decent chance Rise of the Skywalkers or whatever will be too with JJ back directing. 

I guess "Marvel but with lightsabers" is better than the movies being bad, but it's also not really what I want for star wars. I'd rather we get more varied stories with some true stinkers than just more superhero blockbusters. 

I think you're taking Feige's skills very literally. I think Feige demonstrates soft skills which will translate well into Star Wars's unique brand.

But if you are only dealing with specific examples, Thor: Ragnarok has become my Star Wars.
  • Yeah, JJ Abrams being hands off with Rian Johnson was a pretty poor decision in retrospect.  Not that The Force Awakens was some sort of masterwork.  In fact I'm struggling to come up with JJ Abrams's masterworks...
    JaimieT
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited September 2019
    In fact I'm struggling to come up with JJ Abrams's masterworks...

The Lost pilot.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited July 2020
    I finally saw Solo.

Recent Star Wars ratings in my book:

The Mandalorian > Rogue One > Solo > TFA > TLJ > TRS

Not sure why Solo got so slagged.  
    JoshuaHeter
  • edited July 2020

Not sure why Solo got so slagged.  
    Timing. It was a combination of it not being a story a lot of people cared about (we know Han and Chewie live, so what are the stakes?) and the start of SW fatigue hitting with people realizing Disney really was gonna try and pump out a movie a year, and rapidly losing interest. Plus while the movie was perfectly adequate, it wasn't great so it wasn't able to overcome these problems. I think we would have seen Rogue One get slagged instead if it had been fine instead of pretty damn good. 

Edit - And I STILL haven't watch the last movie, even though I'm pretty sure it's now on Disney Plus. Going from a kid who watched SW every couple weeks in my tween years to reading every EU book I could get my hands on to not remotely caring about a SW movie coming out is a pretty good indicator of how the series has been treated the past couple decades. 
  • Good call on your part.  

asmallcat said:

Edit - And I STILL haven't watch the last movie, even though I'm pretty sure it's now on Disney Plus. Going from a kid who watched SW every couple weeks in my tween years to reading every EU book I could get my hands on to not remotely caring about a SW movie coming out is a pretty good indicator of how the series has been treated the past couple decades. 

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Solo also had a really rough production. I remember stories about nearly the entire movie being scrapped and them trying to salvage what was there and do enough reshoots to cobble something together. I want to say it was originally going to be a full on comedy until they brought Ron Howard in to shuffle it into something more traditional. All of that noise plus it not coming out at Christmas like the other movies and hearing they scrapped the entire "thing you've heard of: a star wars story" series along with everything @asmallcat mentioned, I don't think anyone was excited about this movie. It ended up being fine but it's probably for the best they didn't try to make more of these things.