Emmy nominations 2018

Comments

• aberry89aberry89 California
    edited July 2018
    No Twin Peaks is just ....i cannot understand. I know it's not for everybody, and it was mainly critics that showed up and poured out their love for it. But if episode 8 was their submission it can't not speak to people. It's a goddamn humanist work of art. 

It's also weird as fuck....SCREW ALL YOU SQUARES!!!!!    Have to remind myself that The Wire and the Leftovers never won either. 
    MrXJaimieTElisa[Deleted User]
  • The fact that Jodie Comer didn't get a nom for Killing Eve is bonkers to me. Also, I'm pretty surprised Zahn McClarnon didn't get a guest actor nomination considering how many other nominations Westworld got overall. 
    Elisa
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited July 2018
    Bill Hader please. just for his acceptance speech.

edit: Donald Glover will just do something super talented and prob win a Golden Globe for his acceptance speech. it's not fair.
    Noel
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Good to see Twin Peaks Returns did get some love even though Kyle MacLachlan got robbed.  

Lynch for Directing.  Lynch & Frost for writing. Also cinematography, sound-mixing and more for a total of 9 nominations. 
    Elisa
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Hader, Dinklage &Thandie!  
  • edited September 2018
    Westworld folks may have the best social media hit. Woodward and Katja were giving some early views of the event. 
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited September 2018
    Matthew Rhys best actor!! And the Americans won for writing. Good to see it get some recognition for it's (great) final season.

But how did Game of Throne's mediocre 7th season beat it for best drama??

KingKobraElisa
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Michelle said:
    My choices:

Outstanding Drama Series
    The Handmaid’s Tale

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
    Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
    Claire Foy, The Crown
    Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaid’s Tale (tie)

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
    Matt Smith, The Crown

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
    Ann Dowd, The Handmaid’s Tale

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series
    Ron Cephas Jones, This Is Us
    Gerald McRaney, This Is Us (tie)

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series
    Diana Rigg, Game of Thrones

Outstanding Comedy Series
    black-ish

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
    Anthony Anderson, black-ish

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
    Lily Tomlin, Grace and Frankie

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
    Alec Baldwin, Saturday Night Live

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
    Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
    Bill Hader, Saturday Night Live

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series
    Tina Fey, Saturday Night Live

Outstanding Television Movie
    Black Mirror: USS Callister

Outstanding Limited Series
    The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or a Movie
    Darren Criss, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or a Movie
    Edie Falco, Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or a Movie
    Edgar Ramirez, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or a Movie
    Judith Light, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Outstanding Reality Competition
    Top Chef

Outstanding Variety/Sketch Series
    Saturday Night Live

Outstanding Variety/Talk Series
    The Late Late Show with James Corden

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
     I can’t remember the last time Saturday Night Live made me laugh. 
    cdrive
  • The Americans should have won best drama...was kind of put off that Atlanta got no love for an outstanding series. 
    MurderbearMrXDummyElisatom_g
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Atlanta was robbed. Marvelous Ms. Maizel was good but Atlanta was a million times better!
    DummyElisaNoel
  • I would have had it between Barry and Atlanta.
    MurderbearNoel
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Oh this was tonight? Well I look forward to the red carpet analyses tomorrow.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Game of Thrones winning Best Drame is fucking ridiculous. Westworld had a rough season but I'd still say it was better than season 7 GOT. But that's besides the point cause of what I've seen The Handmaids Tale, Stranger Things and The Crown were all much better (shit I'd take Barry in the drama category over most of them).
    JaimieT
  • MrX said:
    Matthew Rhys best actor!! And the Americans won for writing. Good to see it get some recognition for it's (great) final season.

But how did Game of Throne's mediocre 7th season beat it for best drama??

No way Keri Russell shouldn't be up there too. Especially when Claire Foy won for the HIGHLY OVERRATED The Crown. 

But I always thought The Americans flew just a little bit under the radar. 

Matthew Rhys deserved three Emmys just for that last garage scene with Stan.

Oh for sure Keri should've won too, she did a lot of amazing work this season.

KingKobra
  • Don't get crazy now.

Game of Thrones winning Best Drame is fucking ridiculous. Westworld had a rough season but I'd still say it was better than season 7 GOT. 

• edited September 2018
    While I'm happy to see Game of Thrones pull in some more Emmys I don't think GOT deserved best drama.  It was a mediocre season at best.  I've never seen The Crown nor will I ever so I have no say with those wins.  I never jumped on board The Americans when it first came out so I regret to say I haven't seen any of it but will be watching the entire series sometime very soon. 

I was extremely happy for Thandie Newton winning and also Peter Dinklage.  He's been my favorite character since season 1 so I always love seeing him get the win but I feel like he wasn't really utilized that much this past season.  I'll be doing a rewatch over the winter months so that thought might change after seeing it again but I feel like he didn't have that much to do other than try and get Danny and Jon Snow to work together.

I don't watch any of the shows in the comedy categories so those I'm obviously neutral about but I was happy to see Henry Winkler win an Emmy.  
    JaimieT
    Game of Thrones winning Best Drame is fucking ridiculous. Westworld had a rough season but I'd still say it was better than season 7 GOT. But that's besides the point cause of what I've seen The Handmaids Tale, Stranger Things and The Crown were all much better (shit I'd take Barry in the drama category over most of them).

Barry should have won.
    Chinaski
    While I'm happy to see Game of Thrones pull in some more Emmys I don't think GOT deserved best drama.  It was a mediocre season at best.  I've never seen The Crown nor will I ever so I have no say with those wins.  I never jumped on board The Americans when it first came out so I regret to say I haven't seen any of it but will be watching the entire series sometime very soon. 

I was extremely happy for Thandie Newton winning and also Peter Dinklage.  He's been my favorite character since season 1 so I always love seeing him get the win but I feel like he wasn't really utilized that much this past season.  I'll be doing a rewatch over the winter months so that thought might change after seeing it again but I feel like he didn't have that much to do other than try and get Danny and Jon Snow to work together.

Haha. Very true. PD is coasting on all the previous goodness.

Writing for a Limited Series, Movie or Drama:
    Winner - William Bridges, Charlie Brooker (“USS Callister” (Black Mirror))

Nice!

• JaimieT said:

Haha. Very true. PD is coasting on all the previous goodness.

Agreed but I want to clarify that I think that's coming from the writing room and not from his personal performance.  I feel like he's always given it 110 percent.  Personally I think Nikolaj Coster Waldau should have won this past season because I felt his scenes had more emotion and just more.  His scene when Lady Olena told him it was her that killed Joffrey and when he confronted Cersei and his conversation with Tyrion in the crypt.  I felt like he had much more screen time and more meaningful screen time.
  • Also was happy to see that Merritt Wever won for supporting role in Godless, she was great in it!
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited September 2018
    akritenbrink said:
    No way Keri Russell shouldn't be up there too. Especially when Claire Foy won for the HIGHLY OVERRATED The Crown. 

WHOA WHOA WHOA  :)   Hang on a sec.  Overrated?  Please tell me what's overrated - the stellar acting?  The star power cast?  The scripts which are *all* so superbly written?  The costuming, set design, or cinematography - all which are exceptional?   In all seriousness though, to each their own, but I think that 'overrated' is something that The Crown definitely is *not*.   Just my opinion.  
    Noel
  • MrX said:
    Also was happy to see that Merritt Wever won for supporting role in Godless, she was great in it!
    I agree, seeing her win was really fantastic!   
  • Game of Thrones winning Best Drame is fucking ridiculous. Westworld had a rough season but I'd still say it was better than season 7 GOT. But that's besides the point cause of what I've seen The Handmaids Tale, Stranger Things and The Crown were all much better (shit I'd take Barry in the drama category over most of them).
    The Handmaid's Tale should have won.  Yes it's bleak, yes it's depressing and very sad, but WOW what a show.  It's honestly one of the best series I've seen in terms of writing, set design, costuming, camera work - the whole package is very, very well done.
  • This might be a little nitpicky of me, but does anyone else feel that a show should only have one episode nominated per category?  Like, a certain show shouldn't have two or three episodes in the same category, leaving only two other slots open for other nominees.  It's not really fair to other shows that are definitely deserving of a nomination.  I'm looking at you Atlanta, Barry, and Game of Thrones.
  • Michelle said:
    This might be a little nitpicky of me, but does anyone else feel that a show should only have one episode nominated per category?  Like, a certain show shouldn't have two or three episodes in the same category, leaving only two other slots open for other nominees.  It's not really fair to other shows that are definitely deserving of a nomination.  I'm looking at you Atlanta, Barry, and Game of Thrones.
    That’s how it usually works unless it’s for the individual awards. Then everyone submits multiple episodes (including your favorites) based on the person being submitted for. So if they are submitting for two actors there could be two episodes, but it also may be just one depending on what they feel is “the best”. 

Not sure how it’s unfair, unless there is only one episode of said show in which case it would go into a movie/miniseries. If anything that would be unfair to the actors since performances are often spread out over a season. 
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Michelle said:
    akritenbrink said:

WHOA WHOA WHOA  :)   Hang on a sec.  Overrated?  Please tell me what's overrated - the stellar acting?  The star power cast?  The scripts which are *all* so superbly written?  The costuming, set design, or cinematography - all which are exceptional?   In all seriousness though, to each their own, but I think that 'overrated' is something that The Crown definitely is *not*.   Just my opinion.  
    I had a feeling you would reply. :D I think you’re the only one on this board who loves the show more than I do. I’m glad our girl Claire Foy took home the hardware.
    Michelle
This discussion has been closed.